Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Another Burgmuller. This one has been giving me fits, trying to get a light touch on the 16th notes in the A section. Still having trouble maintaining a consistent tempo, but it's slowly getting better. For some reason going between the eighth note sections and the sixteenth note ones is giving me trouble, I keep rushing the eighth notes. My teacher is telling me I need to start counting larger intervals rather than the subdivisions. Been working on that, but it's still difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfROWYPvTmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
A bit of a cross disciplinary question here for those of you who compose / produce music. Do you feel that being decent at an instrument, piano in this case, was a huge asset for you in your composition work? I'm really early on in my journey of writing music, but I also am really not that good at any instrument, and I wonder if investing into piano lessons and doing regular piano practice would be a great investment for composition portion of my learning. Has anybody gone through this same process?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

A bit of a cross disciplinary question here for those of you who compose / produce music. Do you feel that being decent at an instrument, piano in this case, was a huge asset for you in your composition work? I'm really early on in my journey of writing music, but I also am really not that good at any instrument, and I wonder if investing into piano lessons and doing regular piano practice would be a great investment for composition portion of my learning. Has anybody gone through this same process?

Absolutely. I'm a drummer and being able to plunk out ideas has given me more ideas. The more I learn on the piano the more things I can write. I have a drummer friend who never learned piano so he writes in his notation software, and it shows.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Jazz Marimba posted:

Absolutely. I'm a drummer and being able to plunk out ideas has given me more ideas. The more I learn on the piano the more things I can write. I have a drummer friend who never learned piano so he writes in his notation software, and it shows.

Ok, that's good to hear, thank you.

With regards to piano lessons, how much flexibility do you typically have as far as what you practice? One of my phobias is let's say I'm into some modern genre x, but then the instructor insists I spend the next 12 months grinding Bach. I get it, music is music and I do genuinely appreciate just about every genre, but I also have to keep myself motivated, as I'm sure it will be hard, and if something feels extra "forced" then I'm concerned I'll lose spirit and decide to bail. How does that work?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Talk about it with your instructor, and don't hire that instructor if they insist on sticking to a genre you've no interest in.

(this assumes you have access to plenty of instructors, of course)

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ok, that's good to hear, thank you.

With regards to piano lessons, how much flexibility do you typically have as far as what you practice? One of my phobias is let's say I'm into some modern genre x, but then the instructor insists I spend the next 12 months grinding Bach. I get it, music is music and I do genuinely appreciate just about every genre, but I also have to keep myself motivated, as I'm sure it will be hard, and if something feels extra "forced" then I'm concerned I'll lose spirit and decide to bail. How does that work?

The trick is when someone tells you to grind bach, you find some bach you enjoy so the grind doesn't feel so bad. If a teacher told me to play the prelude/fugue in c major from WTC b1 I'd tell them to get hosed. If they told me to do the same with A minor from b1 I'd probably listen and grind away because those are rad as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj4lPhfG98o

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

12 months grinding some specific composer... what kind of weirdo music teachers have you had who said stuff like that?

one thing i will mention is that learning different genres and styles will only help you with your composing. you don't need to become an expert, either. just learning some of the differences between styles in basic things like chord structures, melodies, etc., will give you more ideas for your own stuff

wit
Jul 26, 2011
If anyone is cheap, absolute mary had a little lamb learning on a keyboard and likes the idea of play along robot teacher stuff, playgroundsessions has a one week trial that can last a very long time if you have a gmail address and know how to c.onnect the dots at the right time. Its a nice mix of videos and playing along with things. It will not correct your posture, tell you how to hit notes etc other than 54321 fingering but has really nice drills for chords and its a bit win 95 looking but pretty satisfying to work on. It does sort of glitch out now and then, but you just need to reboot it, it looks like abandonware gone rogue rather than a community, but If you just want to dip your toes in and have positive feedback while you get up to playing pretty well with two hands its potentially free and if supplemented with some youtubes, a good start.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I bought a piano!

And here's my latest Burgmuller, for my sins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzWvKizW7Rs

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Stringent posted:

I bought a piano!

Sick! I've always felt like the Kawai uprights were a solid value for what you get. Congrats!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stringent posted:

I bought a piano!

Nice piano - decent height too. I also like Kawais.

Nothing better than getting a new piano. Happy playing!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Why does this poo poo have to be so difficult to get right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAtsxesSMZM

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Stringent posted:

Why does this poo poo have to be so difficult to get right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAtsxesSMZM

that doesn't sound terrible or anything. what do you think you're having trouble with the most?

if you want some unsolicited advice, i looked up the score and the main thing that sticks out to me is that the rhythm between each of your hands seems to get worse and worse as you get to the end of a major phrase. you seem to mentally "reset" when you get to the beginning of a new phrase and the rhythm gets better, but then it gets wacky again as you go along. have you tried playing each measure slowly and repeatedly? have you tried playing with a metronome?

e: another thing i would mention is that, if i was having trouble with the rhythm of this piece, the way i would probably try and nail it down would be to pretend that the left hand chords were all 16th notes like how the right hand notes are 16th notes. it's kind of a subtle complication that you're (usually) expected to hold the left hand down for the first of the right-hand 16th notes. this might be what's tripping you up?

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 5, 2019

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
How much would any of you pay for a used Casio CDP-100 in (assumedly) great shape?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if you want some unsolicited advice, i looked up the score and the main thing that sticks out to me is that the rhythm between each of your hands seems to get worse and worse as you get to the end of a major phrase. you seem to mentally "reset" when you get to the beginning of a new phrase and the rhythm gets better, but then it gets wacky again as you go along. have you tried playing each measure slowly and repeatedly? have you tried playing with a metronome?

That is absolutely bang on, and yeah I started everything extremely slowly worked with and without the metronome and gradually worked up to this tempo. The issue seems to be the longer I play the more I get distracted by something or another, my head gets out of the music and my hands just do the walking. My teacher described it as I end up playing like I'm typing.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

e: another thing i would mention is that, if i was having trouble with the rhythm of this piece, the way i would probably try and nail it down would be to pretend that the left hand chords were all 16th notes like how the right hand notes are 16th notes. it's kind of a subtle complication that you're (usually) expected to hold the left hand down for the first of the right-hand 16th notes. this might be what's tripping you up?

That was an issue when I started on it, but now when I'm in time it just feels like the two hands are playing one beat of sixteenth notes rather than one hand playing the beat and the other playing e and uh. The frustrating part is I seem to be able to play most any given subsection of the piece in isolation consistently and well. It's literally only when I go to play the piece all the way through that the wheels come off the wagon. I'm sure I'm missing something, but drat if I can figure out what it is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Stringent posted:

That is absolutely bang on, and yeah I started everything extremely slowly worked with and without the metronome and gradually worked up to this tempo. The issue seems to be the longer I play the more I get distracted by something or another, my head gets out of the music and my hands just do the walking. My teacher described it as I end up playing like I'm typing.

i don't have any bulletproof advice for this, unfortunately. i don't play regularly anymore but i definitely remember this exact thing. there were many times when i would be trying to practice, and if i was tired, or stressed out about something else in my life, etc, i would have issues like this where my mind would start wandering and some really basic aspect of my playing would go off the rails. i know how frustrating that can feel

the only suggestion i can think of is: do you actually like the burgmuller stuff you're trying to learn? sometimes it is ok to poo poo-can a piece if you really just don't like it, or you can't get it to click for you. it's totally fine to do

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the only suggestion i can think of is: do you actually like the burgmuller stuff you're trying to learn? sometimes it is ok to poo poo-can a piece if you really just don't like it, or you can't get it to click for you. it's totally fine to do

That is a problem yeah, I don't like them. I do want to finish the volume though, but after that I'm going to tell my teacher I just want to work on repertoire and sight reading.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Thanks for the feedback Lutha, that's got me thinking about some new stuff.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Joe Man posted:

How much would any of you pay for a used Casio CDP-100 in (assumedly) great shape?

That is a 12 year old, bottom end of entry level digital piano, if I'm not mistaken. And it's probably not in great shape, unless it was stored sealed in a temperature controlled warehouse for the last decade or something. Maybe $50?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'd probably go $100 if the MIDI worked fine. The newer ones don't even have MIDI DIN on them anymore.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Stringent posted:

Thanks for the feedback Lutha, that's got me thinking about some new stuff.

This is probably the best compliment a super-lapsed player can get, so thanks. I will still harp on thinking about "do I actually enjoy playing this crap" though. There is a virtually endless amount of piano material out there that a single person can ever work through. I still think about this one piano book I had when I was probably about 8 years old. I don't remember what it was called, or what exactly it taught me, but I remember it teaching me multiple key skills that really helped me. And one reason I was able to learn from it was that I didn't hate it.

Contrast this with "yeah sure, this collection of etudes that I am working thru rn is great and all but I do actually hate these pieces with all of my heart and soul". I feel like this is just going to produce frustration. Insisting on a single path of instruction in something as varied and multi-textured as piano playing to me seems like a disservice. I dunno, maybe I'm just biased by having open-ended piano teachers who flat out told me "you are way better at this type of playing vs. this other type" and pushed me to my strengths. I don't know if this is typical, or ideal! But that's how I learned.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
19 down, 6 to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcucHzVjiJ4

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

this is the good poo poo right here. i dunno if you like this piece better, or if it just better aligns with your strengths, but compared to that last one this is really great. not to say the last one was bad! but i feel like this one showcases some good strengths of your playing. compared to the last one, you didn't get lost trying to keep up with all the notes and fast tempo, and instead you get the chance to showcase your abilities in the areas of subtle dynamics and lyrical phrasing. i was skeptical previously of sticking it out to learn all the Burgmullers, but you've clearly put in some good work here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is the good poo poo right here. i dunno if you like this piece better, or if it just better aligns with your strengths, but compared to that last one this is really great. not to say the last one was bad! but i feel like this one showcases some good strengths of your playing. compared to the last one, you didn't get lost trying to keep up with all the notes and fast tempo, and instead you get the chance to showcase your abilities in the areas of subtle dynamics and lyrical phrasing. i was skeptical previously of sticking it out to learn all the Burgmullers, but you've clearly put in some good work here

Thanks Lutha, this was the one I was looking forward to since I really like chorale type writing. The rest are gonna be a slog, but I'm still gonna do them.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Speaking of complete collections, for some reason I took it upon myself to learn and perform the entire goddamn first book of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4PL6EW9eZJ_AfW3fi4PpJ0cYQIC_K26x

It was a fun albeit taxing project. I don't think I have it in me to do a Book II, at least at this point.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

IT BURNS posted:

Speaking of complete collections, for some reason I took it upon myself to learn and perform the entire goddamn first book of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier this year:

It was a fun albeit taxing project. I don't think I have it in me to do a Book II, at least at this point.

Cripes dude, I can't even imagine how you'd go about preparing for that. I guess you've been playing out of WTC for a long time and just decided to put it all together?

I can't imagine how wiped you were after playing that.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Stringent posted:

Cripes dude, I can't even imagine how you'd go about preparing for that. I guess you've been playing out of WTC for a long time and just decided to put it all together?

I can't imagine how wiped you were after playing that.

I played maybe about 8-10 of them before and it took from about March until September to learn the others. It wasn't impossible aside from being tied down to it 5-6 hours a day to get the new ones into my fingers plus keep the old ones warm. Enormously beneficial project, though.

My usual way of doing it was splitting it in half (about an hour each) or doing a "best of" version (ca. 80 minutes). I only ever did a top to bottom in concert once and it loving slayed me. Getting to the end made me believe in Bach's version of redemption through suffering.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

IT BURNS posted:

5-6 hours a day to get the new ones into my fingers plus keep the old ones warm

Do you have any kind of systematic approach to this or do you just follow your nose?

Also, during the performance while you're looking at the score what kind of information are you pulling from it?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

IT BURNS posted:

gently caress me. That's beyond impressive.

I actually came in to share a recording I made tonight but yeah I'll come back later after seeing this.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

IT BURNS posted:

My usual way of doing it was splitting it in half (about an hour each) or doing a "best of" version (ca. 80 minutes). I only ever did a top to bottom in concert once and it loving slayed me. Getting to the end made me believe in Bach's version of redemption through suffering.

you're pretty much an honorary Lutheran at this point so gj bud

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

On Terra Firma posted:

I actually came in to share a recording I made tonight but yeah I'll come back later after seeing this.

:justpost:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Recorded a Mehldau inspired arrangement of Blackbird. Cat kept sharing my piano bench because that's what cats do so I've got a few minor hiccups. Short but sweet. My time got hosed up a bit at the end so I really need to work on that. Got a bit ahead of myself.

https://soundcloud.com/gowhatyourself/blackbird

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

On Terra Firma posted:

Recorded a Mehldau inspired arrangement of Blackbird. Cat kept sharing my piano bench because that's what cats do so I've got a few minor hiccups. Short but sweet. My time got hosed up a bit at the end so I really need to work on that. Got a bit ahead of myself.

https://soundcloud.com/gowhatyourself/blackbird

Nice, I didn't notice any time problems.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

IT BURNS posted:

Great job dude, I also like that you've set the video category to Comedy.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

IT BURNS posted:

I played maybe about 8-10 of them before and it took from about March until September to learn the others. It wasn't impossible aside from being tied down to it 5-6 hours a day to get the new ones into my fingers plus keep the old ones warm. Enormously beneficial project, though.

My usual way of doing it was splitting it in half (about an hour each) or doing a "best of" version (ca. 80 minutes). I only ever did a top to bottom in concert once and it loving slayed me. Getting to the end made me believe in Bach's version of redemption through suzffering.

LOL, I know this feel. Congrats on finishing it, that's a major accomplishment!

If it helps to know, book II isn't necessarily harder to play or anything - in fact, I mostly found it easier. I think it's because he wrote book II more intentionally as a whole work, as opposed to book I which was slightly pieced together from preexisting stuff he'd written. Maybe, I dunno. My teacher calls them the old testament and the new testament. :)

After I did both I took a short break from Bach and then insisted on starting Goldberg, which is currently murdering me daily.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

LOL, I know this feel. Congrats on finishing it, that's a major accomplishment!

If it helps to know, book II isn't necessarily harder to play or anything - in fact, I mostly found it easier. I think it's because he wrote book II more intentionally as a whole work, as opposed to book I which was slightly pieced together from preexisting stuff he'd written. Maybe, I dunno. My teacher calls them the old testament and the new testament. :)

After I did both I took a short break from Bach and then insisted on starting Goldberg, which is currently murdering me daily.

I've seen the WTC as a whole referred to as the Old Testament of piano repertoire, and Beethoven's 32 as the New Testament, which I think is not unapt.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Well I just played on a public piano for the first time, which was one of the things I dreamed of doing when I picked up learning last year. It felt good, really good, reignited my fire to keep learning new things.

I played the departure lullaby by Max Richter and Bach's Prelude in C, nothing special but I like them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Was inspired by IT BURNS to have another crack at recording the #8 two part invention. Still haven't unlearned all the bad habits, but I'll keep working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8U1rmOzA5g

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

If you guys aren't watching the International Tchaikovsky Competition, do yourself a favor and hit it up immediately. There are some unreal performances:

https://tch16.medici.tv/en/piano/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

IT BURNS posted:

If you guys aren't watching the International Tchaikovsky Competition, do yourself a favor and hit it up immediately. There are some unreal performances:

https://tch16.medici.tv/en/piano/

I had to get you an avatar, looking at that Trump thing was messing with me.