Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

So what is the big problem with the Nano out of curiosity? Just lower power, or something more?

drat I am on my phone and I read your post and thought this was the vim thread and was like :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Hed posted:

drat I am on my phone and I read your post and thought this was the vim thread and was like :munch:

To be fair I opened this in a new tab and though the same after reading this snipe

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

Lower power, more plastic/less metal, and you can't get the case around the heating element open which is kind of important of you have hard water or have a bag leak.

Why open it for hard water? I usually just leave it running for 20 mins after the food si out and drop a load of vinegar in the water...
That cleans it same as a kettle.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Hopper posted:

Why open it for hard water? I usually just leave it running for 20 mins after the food si out and drop a load of vinegar in the water...
That cleans it same as a kettle.

It's nice to be able to open it up and take a look at it to see when it needs to be cleaned. I've also had to scrub other crap out of mine from when the local utilities flushed the lines or something and I missed that my sous vide bath was full of rust.

Good tip about the vinegar, though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh sure no doubt it is useful to be able to open it. I just never did for hard water. But since Munich water is at 18 on the hardness scale vinegar and I are best mates when it comes to puddling, kettles and similar things.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Does anyone use a chimney for searing and if so do you have one to recommend?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I use a super beat up old Kingsford one. Super warped from getting too hot and melting once, dropped it. The grate is more important imo and I use the Webber stainless middle part insert for their module grate.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The one thing I don't like about my old Anova that I don't know if it changed is the wheel to change the temperature glows with a bright blue light that I actually tapped over so it's not lighting up the house on overnight cooks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Did you have it on your bedroom or what?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Hopper posted:

Did you have it on your bedroom or what?

How else are you gonna warm up lube? (the answer is baby bottle warmer of course)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spatule posted:

How else are you gonna warm up lube? (the answer is baby bottle warmer of course)

Can't find a baby bottle warmer that will accommodate a 5 lbs bucket of Val-U-Glide.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I want to try and sous vide a beef joint this Sunday as I'm cooking for a bunch of people and need the oven space.

I have an anova immersion heater, I'll be attempting to cook a roughly three kilo beef joint of topside (top round). I've been looking around the Internet and there seems to be a lot of contradictory advice on times and recipes. Has anyone got a good method for this?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It could be that they're all valid times and temps, but lean towards effects they like.

edit: I'm seeing 132°F and 160°F for top round recipes. If you want medium rare steak textures, go for 132. If you want traditional well done round go for 160

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 20, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My advice is "top/eye round is a poo poo cut for anything but roast beef sandwiches."

https://youtu.be/qgqSrq-Sij4

There's really nothing of value that SV brings to top round. There's no connective tissue to render, no intramuscular fat, etc.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

It could be that they're all valid times and temps, but lean towards effects they like.

edit: I'm seeing 132°F and 160°F for top round recipes. If you want medium rare steak textures, go for 132. If you want traditional well done round go for 160

Fish at 100-125?? How much technique does that require to be safe?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

gaj70 posted:

Fish at 100-125?? How much technique does that require to be safe?

It doesn't, it just requires a short cook time followed by eating.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Pastuerization is an odd concept for a lot of people. My wife still has a hard time understanding that certain things could ever possibly be safe if not cooked to 165°.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The times in that chart have nothing to do with pasteurization. At 131° (5° warmer than the hottest fish on that chart) a 1" thick piece of salmon would need to be cooked for 5 hours to be pasteurized. Not 30 minutes. For pasteurization you need to go with Baldwin's tables. Do notttttt assume that every SV recipe on the internet will pasteurize or otherwise make safe your food.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well color me educated. I won't mention that again when talking about sous vide to friends unless it actually does apply, but I stand by what I said. Some people cannot or will not accept that bacteria can be killed lower than 165°.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Well color me educated. I won't mention that again when talking about sous vide to friends unless it actually does apply, but I stand by what I said. Some people cannot or will not accept that bacteria can be killed lower than 165°.

Have those people ever eaten sushi? Or an apple?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well yeah, I'm sure we all know a person who'll happily eat an apple but won't touch a steak that's not well done. Or who think raw fish at a sushi place must be more safe since it's "sushi grade".

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Well yeah, I'm sure we all know a person who'll happily eat an apple but won't touch a steak that's not well done. Or who think raw fish at a sushi place must be more safe since it's "sushi grade".
My mother will eat steak tartare but not sushi or steak done less than medium well, because "raw meat isn't safe." I just... :eng99:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Inspector 34 posted:

I always thought "sushi grade" just meant it was less likely to have parasites in the meat, nothing to do with bacteria.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If your sv recipe has a maximum cooking time, you are doing it wrong.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

couldcareless posted:

I always thought "sushi grade" just meant it was less likely to have parasites in the meat, nothing to do with bacteria.

Doesn't it just mean that it's been frozen at a time/temp that'll kill parasites?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

Doesn't it just mean that it's been frozen at a time/temp that'll kill parasites?

It's a marketing term mostly. Wild salmon and things like it do have to be frozen for some number of days to conform with the FDA for the parasites, but that's it. Bacteria is not necessarily destroyed by freezing, but it does stop/slow the multiplication of cells and the spoiling.

I'm not sure I can think of a reason where I'd rather puddle fish than just cook it in less time in any other way. I guess some people aren't good at cooking fish, but I'm not sure I can see much of a benefit to it.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

couldcareless posted:

It's not just the meat itself, it's the whole process that makes me kinda uneasy. The fish basket I stored the live fish during the day, the table/newspaper on which I gutted/filleted them, my fish-gut contaminated fillet knife, the cutting board in the kitchen, my hands while I prep the fillet, etc. For that matter, water quality where i caught it.

Do sushi chefs need to take special precautions?

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 21, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fish is usually frozen on the boat, so by the time you or restaurants buy it, it should be fine. I've been interested in fishing, because hey free fish, but I haven't seen any great answers from a food safety perspective. Domestic freezers don't get or stay cold enough

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In Europe I think it's now law that fish needs to have been frozen before use. In New York also iirc.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jhet posted:

It's a marketing term mostly. Wild salmon and things like it do have to be frozen for some number of days to conform with the FDA for the parasites, but that's it. Bacteria is not necessarily destroyed by freezing, but it does stop/slow the multiplication of cells and the spoiling.

I'm not sure I can think of a reason where I'd rather puddle fish than just cook it in less time in any other way. I guess some people aren't good at cooking fish, but I'm not sure I can see much of a benefit to it.

It is 100% a texture thing.
You can get some good/weird textures with ever so slightly cooked fish proteins.

IMHO i would jsut rather flash sear my tuna steak, or pan roast my filet of salmon til it jsut flakes.

From Kenji:

Texture Temperature
  • Like firm sashimi 105°F (41°C)
  • Soft and buttery 110°F (43°C)
  • Translucent and starting to flake 115°F (46°C)
  • Very moist, tender, and flaky 120°F (49°C)
  • Firm, moist, and flaky 130°F (54°C)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

VictualSquid posted:

If your sv recipe has a maximum cooking time, you are doing it wrong.

There's a ton of sv recipes that have max cooking times listed not for safety but because of the meat breaking down into an unpleasant texture.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think it's -4F for fish, and domestic freezers indeed do not get that cold normally. Maybe if your thermostat breaks it might get close.

toplitzin posted:

It is 100% a texture thing.
You can get some good/weird textures with ever so slightly cooked fish proteins.

IMHO i would jsut rather flash sear my tuna steak, or pan roast my filet of salmon til it jsut flakes.

That's fair, but I guess there's less variation in how tuna or salmon turns out for me than there is with a cheap cut of beef that I want to be eating like a steak. I think it's also because it seems like an extra step with less gained.

fwiw, I did an entire salmon in my less than precise smoker last week that my uncle caught in Washington and froze for the airplane, and I wouldn't change a thing. It's super flaky and moist, but there's something that is also cool about getting strange textures from proteins too.

E: I also originally bought my Anova because I want to be able to hold pasteurization temps in the 140s for an hour. Which is enough for somethings, but I wouldn't do anything under 130 for pasteurization. Too many things can still grow if you give them the time. If you're only doing it for 15-30 minutes, they won't have the time and I'd be okay when it comes to bacteria. You only cook a good fish to 115-120 anyway.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jhet posted:

E: I also originally bought my Anova because I want to be able to hold pasteurization temps in the 140s for an hour. Which is enough for somethings, but I wouldn't do anything under 130 for pasteurization. Too many things can still grow if you give them the time. If you're only doing it for 15-30 minutes, they won't have the time and I'd be okay when it comes to bacteria. You only cook a good fish to 115-120 anyway.

Re: the great advances given to us by Louis Pasteur, Douglas Baldwin went and made a bunch of tables for us:

Fish:
https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_3.1

Birb:
https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_4.1

Beast:
https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

He's right there with you, pasteurization won't happen below 130.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

Re: the great advances given to us by Louis Pasteur, Douglas Baldwin went and made a bunch of tables for us:

Is this where they no greater than 4" of meat comes from. The largest size for beef here is listed at 70mm or 2.7". I know people have mentioned you should be doing anything with a greater thickness but I haven't had any issues and there are recipes out there for things thicker than that. Just curious if this was a wives tale, superstition or if we have data to back it up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

sterster posted:

Is this where they no greater than 4" of meat comes from. The largest size for beef here is listed at 70mm or 2.7". I know people have mentioned you should be doing anything with a greater thickness but I haven't had any issues and there are recipes out there for things thicker than that. Just curious if this was a wives tale, superstition or if we have data to back it up.

Yes, because you're trying to "ensure that the center of the food should reach 130°F (54.4°C) within 6 hours to prevent the toxin producing pathogen Clostridium perfringens from multiplying to dangerous levels (Willardsen et al., 1977)."

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

toplitzin posted:

Those are great tables and I've just bookmarked all of them.

I got my 130 from Pasteur, so I'd say great minds, but I'm just cribbing from the guy who did all the legwork.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

toplitzin posted:

Yes, because you're trying to "ensure that the center of the food should reach 130°F (54.4°C) within 6 hours to prevent the toxin producing pathogen Clostridium perfringens from multiplying to dangerous levels (Willardsen et al., 1977)."

You won't find surface bacteria and spores inside your meat, whether it's .5" or 6" thick.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Jan posted:

You won't find surface bacteria and spores inside your meat, whether it's .5" or 6" thick.

Unless it's been blade tenderized.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Which I'm assuming things that thick, rib roast, pork butt/shoulder etc. are not.
This doesn't expand to birds btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Zaepho posted:

Unless it's been blade tenderized.

Fair point--Costco does love to blade tenderize the poo poo out of everything, but as sterster mentions, that doesn't usually extend to full roasts.

It's just a sample size of one, but we once vizzled a 3 rib prime rib roast and it was amazing.