Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there are a lot of crab hitlers and stalins

they have some difficulty with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe she just has delicious babies ok?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe she just has delicious babies ok?

Don’t think it’s her babies since she still has a fat sack. Eating the genetic competition is where it’s at.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Crabs are so delicious that even they cannot resist eating their own.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crabs, the best at recycling

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A very large creb

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137356/Monster-Tasmanian-King-Crabs-saved-pot-shipped-Britain-aquarium-display.html

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

"However, Claude's shorter claw is so powerful that it is capable of removing a human finger or cracking a walnut"
Followed by picture of human fingers next to claws

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Article is right, look at that magnificent sumbitch. Wonder if molting at 30 lbs is much more difficult than, say, 30 oz.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Article is right, look at that magnificent sumbitch. Wonder if molting at 30 lbs is much more difficult than, say, 30 oz.

It is. When molting, the new exoskeleton is just soft squishy meat for a while and that gets more difficult to manage the heavier the animal is because it's harder support their weight.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Absolute unit that boy. Just stunning.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Claude is definitely an A+ crab joke name

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:3:

naem
May 29, 2011

delicious, and good friend

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
sum creeb
https://twitter.com/thedepthsbeiow/status/1133210360784203776?s=21

clevar creeb
https://twitter.com/thedepthsbeiow/status/1136841563198316544?s=21

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
What is the best tasting crab?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ragedx posted:

Some people insist it’s east coast blues but the ones I’ve had were all too sweet to the point of having a slight fishy flavor. Not a fan.

West coast crabs have a more crabby flavor and are easier to eat. I may be biased because I’ll catch and eat over 200 in a given 2 month season.

King crab is all salt injected firming agents in flavorless big lumps. Bleh. Snow crab is better imo but I still won’t go out of my way for it or king.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I strongly identify with heft crab boi Claude. The ultimate unit.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
To me they are seem kinda tasteless until you dunk it butter or something of that nature. Will have to try what you said since I mainly find King Crab around where I live.
Have not found anything that amazing yet in that department so what you said makes sense.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ragedx posted:

The cold water king crabs, hands down. Problem is that as noted above, there is a TON of poo poo-quality product out there, especially as you get farther from the fishery.

Also, it’s apparently a (hugely damaging) invasive species in Northern European waters, but is protected due to Russian fishery agreement.

:commissar:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ragedx posted:

To me they are seem kinda tasteless until you dunk it butter or something of that nature. Will have to try what you said since I mainly find King Crab around where I live.
Have not found anything that amazing yet in that department so what you said makes sense.

Get your snippers on some fresh Dungeness crab. It’s got a slightly more complex flavor than snow. Some would almost call it bitter? I find it pleasant like a lager beer.
Really depends on where you at. Florida has stone crabs locally and the west coast has red rock crabs which are related. I catch mostly red rock and they have a slightly stronger flavor than dungeness but I don’t think that’s a negative.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll catch and eat over 200 in a given 2 month season.

I'm worried about your mercury intake, friend, that's a lot of crab

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I like this one better, from back a page. Crabs are rad.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Leperflesh posted:

Worth it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Don’t be. I don’t eat the innards and I share easily half my prepared crab meat with friends and family.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I share easily half my prepared crab meat with friends and family.

Can I be your friend?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t be. I don’t eat the innards and I share easily half my prepared crab meat with friends and family.

Just the souls. And powerful souls they be.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Can I be your friend?

Got a mercury deficiency?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where da mudcrabs at?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just the souls. And powerful souls they be.

Got a mercury deficiency?

Crab has pretty low mercury.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
For eurogoons who want to holiday and have a nice crab-safari at the same time, I recommend seaside Croatia. Place is covered with tiny little critters that are lightning fast!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Crab has pretty low mercury.

Well where am I supposed to pick up my toxins in sufficient doses then? (I actually live too far from the coast for much fish/seafood these days anyway).

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone here read the Clickers series? It’s got some giant crustaceans murdering the everloving poo poo out of a lot of people. If you like turn-your-brain-off schlock they’re a pretty good time.

Clickers https://www.amazon.com/dp/193638342X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hfk9CbTT4B7VW

Ooh I love this kind of stuff, and Amazon decided to tempt me twice as hard by being like "Yo I can get you this book by tomorrow with free weekend overnight delivery."

I'm not gonna poop until it comes in, I'll save it all up for crab-book-poopin. Apparently the crabobsters have acid that they inject into people as well!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well where am I supposed to pick up my toxins in sufficient doses then? (I actually live too far from the coast for much fish/seafood these days anyway).

Albacore in a can.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah crabs tend to be scavengers and detritovores. It's large predatory fishes and toothed cetaceans you have to worry about for mercury accumulation.

LingcodKilla posted:

King crab is all salt injected firming agents in flavorless big lumps. Bleh. Snow crab is better imo but I still won’t go out of my way for it or king.

Aw man I love snow crab. King crab is too expensive and a pain in the rear end to shuck with all of those spines and poo poo anyway.

I can't say I've eaten many different kinds of crabs. Just snow, king, and whatever is used for the softshell dishes at the sushi place up the road. I see a lot of dungenesses and Japanese spiders in the supermarkets here but never really bothered.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah crabs tend to be scavengers and detritovores. It's large predatory fishes and toothed cetaceans you have to worry about for mercury accumulation.

Aw man I love snow crab. King crab is too expensive and a pain in the rear end to shuck with all of those spines and poo poo anyway.

I can't say I've eaten many different kinds of crabs. Just snow, king, and whatever is used for the softshell dishes at the sushi place up the road. I see a lot of dungenesses and Japanese spiders in the supermarkets here but never really bothered.

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent size dungeness and steam him up. Just don’t eat the “crab butter” it’s not a good habit to do.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LingcodKilla posted:

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent size dungeness and steam him up. Just don’t eat the “crab butter” it’s not a good habit to do.

I only ever eat the meat anyway.

According to the Internet the "butter" the hepatopancreas. That's the green "tamale" found in lobster. Is that also bad to eat? I'm not a fan but my dad loves the stuff :ohdear:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

I only ever eat the meat anyway.

According to the Internet the "butter" the hepatopancreas. That's the green "tamale" found in lobster. Is that also bad to eat? I'm not a fan but my dad loves the stuff :ohdear:

It collects all the truly bad stuff like non-organic neurotoxins your body doesn’t flush out and stores in your fat.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LingcodKilla posted:

It collects all the truly bad stuff like non-organic neurotoxins your body doesn’t flush out and stores in your fat.

Ah gently caress good thing he only eats a couple of lobster a year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Ah gently caress good thing he only eats a couple of lobster a year.

Honestly I don’t know if that applies to lobsters but they are fairly similar.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Stone crab claws loving rule but they don't keep well and are thus hard to find away from the source (Florida-ish area of the south). The sad part is apparently the rest of the crab sucks so they fish em out, take one claw, and toss them back in.

I wasn't aware of this at the time I ate them, but it was drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Honky Dong Country posted:

Stone crab claws loving rule but they don't keep well and are thus hard to find away from the source (Florida-ish area of the south). The sad part is apparently the rest of the crab sucks so they fish em out, take one claw, and toss them back in.

I wasn't aware of this at the time I ate them, but it was drat good.

It generally doesn’t kill the crab, and the claw grows back. (Yes, there is some mortality, but it’s a relatively sustainable fishery.)