Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incontinence 100 posted:

Wait until your NDP friend finds out Jagmeet wants to increase the capital gains tax to 75%.

And also to bring in a wealth tax that will prevent hard working middle class Canadians from catching up to the world's rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need to massively expand tax free savings account limits to help the working poor grow their retirement investment portfolios.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
taxing family gifts over 5k or something like that would loving wreck the market

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Death taxes are morally wrong!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I got into a big thing with some NDP guy who thinks it's "classist" and "pulling up the ladder" to say that poo poo like first time homebuyer's grants and poo poo are bad.

"With housing prices as they are, first time buyers need ever bit of help they can get! Without first time buyer grants so many people have no chance of lifting them selves out of poverty." was basically their line of argument. He admitted that maybe the program could use for some means-testing since it currently mostly goes towards the rich but it's absolutely critical we not only keep these grants, but increase them as much as we can because home ownership is the only way to join the middle class.

Also the same goes for mortgages, the government needs to do everything they can to help everyone get a mortgage, and we should have 50 year mortgages, anything to get people into homes. How can you be against these things when we're in the middle of a housing crisis?!?!

The level of stupidity found in the masses are going to doom our species. 50-year mortgages...yeesh. Does that guy work for a bank?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"Anything to get people into homes" it's exactly this kind of ridiculously careless mindset that caused the financial crisis in '07. These people are acting like once a home has been purchased that suddenly life will be carefree and there won't be any significant maintenance costs of the property let alone the mortgage payments (most of which you won't see again because interest lol).

Renting also needs to stop being a borderline stigma, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

qhat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 19, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

We need to massively expand tax free savings account limits to help the working poor grow their retirement investment portfolios.

This. Focus also needs to be taken off the RRSP, nobody under $100k/year can fill that up and you might actually need that money for things other than putting a deposit on a shabby overpriced house.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/chinatown-condo-development-calgary-1.5180914

quote:

"We're OK if they do development. But let's not destroy the culture and characteristics of Chinatown."

lol

The parking lot in question, center.

surrounded by condos, office buildings, and a dying hippie mall.

The Lot is 2 blocks away from what is actually chinatown, and half of downtown calgary is empty parking lots because there are billions of empty offices.

e: The big china scam mall outside of calgary is still completely hosed, too.

https://newhorizonmall.com/interactive-map/#/

Powershift fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 19, 2019

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

cowofwar posted:

I am conflicted because it is good that a lot of speculators are taking a bath but all that money went to rear end in a top hat boomers who cashed out.

The speculators are more undeserving.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You can build anywhere you want as long as I can't see it from my backyard. Also we care about pedestrian safety above all else, so let's have more surface parking lots. It's hard to count the ways these fuckers contradict themselves.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

qhat posted:

Renting also needs to stop being a borderline stigma, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Renting would get a better rep if the vast majority of landlords weren't useless dogshit slowly letting their property degrade until till they sell it for a profit and buy another one and/or renovict you.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you think these are the worst things West Vancouverites say, well

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/west-vancouver-b-line-protester-comments-march-4-2019

quote:

1. I am certainly not culturally entitled

I am certainly not culturally entitled, said one speaker in response to Hiscoxs assertions. Then just seconds later, he continued with this: We West Vancouverites, who are clear thinkers, are opposed to the B-Line, and we dont want this to ruin the fabric and the culture of our community.
2. Someone with an East Indian accent

This comment made by a public speaker who was unpleased with the districts recent phone surveys: A neighbour of mine in my building received a telephone call, well, she suspected, these are her words, someone with an East Indian accent that she could barely understand.
3. West Vancouver residents are Type A, so they wont take the bus

Rich elites will never take the bus, according to this speaker: People I know in West Vancouver are pretty Type A and their kids are booked. The husbands and wives are pretty booked too.
4. I have seen far more of the planet than many of you ever will

The opinions of young people, who are most affected by the B-Line decision, do not matter: To mayor, councillors, and the young pro-B-Liners, I have spent many years involved in political discussions and servicing my community. I do not feel like an old guy, out of touch with my world. In fact, I can guarantee you that I have seen far more of the planet than many of you ever will.
5. Articulated buses, not the regular buses that are already on the same route, will make roads dangerous

Buses are already routed on Marine Drive in West Vancouver, but longer buses are a big moving hazard that do not belong anywhere near children, homes, and anyone and anything: Really, none of us are safe from this the first proposal was to take these buses down Hayward Avenue, past an elementary school, playground, kindergarten, and the homes of 75 taxpaying citizens.

But are articulated buses any more dangerous on other routes elsewhere in Metro Vancouver?
6. Improved transit will negatively affect home equity

Articulated buses passing by homes will depreciate home values: What Im trying to get across to you is that the decision you make surrounding this B-Line debacle has ramifications not only for the safety and well-being of our families, but also our homes equities.

According to BC Assessment, the latest average assessed value of homes in West Vancouver is $2.806 million.
7. I dont want the B-Line because this is my hometown

The village ambiance of Dundarave will be ruined by the B-Line: I am solely against the B-Line extending to Dundarave because thats where I grew up. Its my hometown. Im Huck Finn of Dundarave. Its beautiful, and with all these buses and everything itll be ruined.
8. Were all going to be gagging from hybrid buses

A speaker addressing young people directly on how these articulated hybrid buses will create more pollution: The pollution factor of all those buses, youngsters, is really exceptional. There are already 250 trips daily one-way between Park Royal and Dundarave, and add to that another 76 trips minimum one-way between Park Royal and Dundarave and youve got a heck a lot of pollution were all going to be gagging. The pollution, lights, and noise will be unacceptable.

But here is a reality check: a single articulated bus can handle about a hundred people, which is a far better situation (in theory) than one hundred single-occupancy vehicles. Thats a lot less pollution.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If I won the lottery I'd spend at least a couple hundred thousand publicizing these folk on large billboards in east van. Names, faces, net worth, and specific quotes.

And then let the market do the needful when the time comes.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

CRISPYBABY posted:

Renting would get a better rep if the vast majority of landlords weren't useless dogshit slowly letting their property degrade until till they sell it for a profit and buy another one and/or renovict you.

I think another big part of the problem is that urban density in Canada is still a relatively new thing, so you've only really got the population since Gen X used to the concept that not everyone is entitled to their own personal half-acre.

Plus, in the end, there's really no getting away from the idea that you're throwing a big pile of cash into a bottomless pit on the first of every month. Sure, it's frequently a better idea than throwing a similar amount of cash at a giant wall of interest, but at least with that you get the vague promise of the teensy bit of principal you've chipped off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And you get a pile of often-hard-to-predict maintenance expenses, of course.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Subjunctive posted:

And you get a pile of often-hard-to-predict maintenance expenses, of course.

Or easy to predict but impossible to get your strata council to do anything about.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CRISPYBABY posted:

Yeah for sure, but I think there's an underlying impression some people get about you if you own vs rent, that you're more responsible or fiscally secure or something, which just flat out has nothing to do with renting vs owning.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5366848/renting-for-life-canada-germany/

Lots of interesting stuff in this article, but basically demonstrates that while renting is the financially sounder decision, there's a real social penalty to the whole thing. I definitely experience this, even though my family has a good income and could afford to buy something, but the value just isn't there. What's truly bizarre here is in the article where the family from Germany is going back because of housing issues here in Vancouver. One would think that this would be the sorts of folks that 'all want to be here' except not.

Eh if they're a professional couple with an international flavour, they're not going to move to an 'average rent' location in Germany.
The few attractive cities are almost as hosed as the ones in Canada or similar countries. Concentration pressure on AAA/AA cities is relentless, 2nd and 3rd tier are slightly up or holding steady, and our rural areas are bleeding out just like everyone elses.

If they think they can get a nice apt in Munich for under 2500 they have a surprise coming, unless they go out into the sticks or the horrible 70's housing projects on the outskirts.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 20, 2019

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

:smug: Schadenfreude time. :smug:

quote:

Pre-sale condo buyers back out of contracts as market slows in Lower Mainland

When the market was hot, people lined up overnight to get their hands on pre-sale condominiums. Now that the housing market in B.C.'s Lower Mainland has cooled, some buyers are trying to back out of their contracts unable to obtain the financing they need.

A Vancouver lawyer says clients are coming to him several times a week hoping he can help find loopholes to get out of buying units they signed onto several years ago.

Kenneth Padzer says most people are having trouble obtaining mortgages high enough to pay off the developers for units they purchased when the value of the homes were higher.

With pre-sale condos, a buyer puts down a deposit on a unit that has not yet been constructed. Once it's complete, the buyer must pay the developer the entire balance.

The trouble occurs when the buyer goes to a bank to apply for a mortgage. A bank will only provide a mortgage based on the home's current value. Now that housing prices in the Lower Mainland are lower than in recent years, the buyer must now make up the balance to pay off the developer.

"We've had clients approach us and say, can you go through all the paperwork and see if there's some some way that we can legally not close, and it's unlikely," Padzer said.

"And if you can't come up with the difference then you're not going to be able to close," he says.

Most clients, he says have watched their unit values drop since they agreed to purchase their units, as opposed to appreciate, which has been the case with pre-sale condominiums for the last decade.

For a buyer closing on a home priced at $1 million, it could mean coming up with an additional $150,000 to pay the developer, he says.

When it's compounded with the mortgage stress test, buyers need to come up with even more cash.

"That's quite a bit," Padzer said.

Once buildings are near completion, he says it's nearly impossible to legally back out of a sale.

He says, typically, the only way out is if a developer doesn't get financing or fails to send disclosure statements or building permits in a timely manner.

His advice is to try to complete the deal, otherwise you could lose your deposit, and be on the hook if the developer is unable to resell the unit at the same or higher price.

If you're already locked into a contract, property law professor Ron Usher recommends staying in close contact with the developer to ask when the building is set to complete and to understand your legal options.

"Many of these projects are being delayed right now," Usher said.

Padzer suggests buying from reputable developers with an extended history so they have "deep pockets" to finance their projects even in a slow economy.

He also says to bring in your own real estate agent and lawyer so they act in your best interest rather than using the ones offered by developers.

But... housing only goes up???

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm still baffled at the idea of a condo pre-sale even after all this time

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

leftist heap posted:

I'm still baffled at the idea of a condo pre-sale even after all this time

Buy now because next year that condo will be 100k more expensive!!!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Buy now because next year that condo will be 100k more expensive!!!

I'm baffled that it's so normalised that banks won't finance construction if there aren't presales.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm baffled that it's so normalised that banks won't finance construction if there aren't presales.

It makes perfect sense from the bank's perspective.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's almost like the banks don't believe housing will always go up anymore

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

qhat posted:

It's almost like the banks don't believe housing will always go up anymore

When Bill Good is saying now isn't a great time to sell oh god. please get a equity loan, my family is starving but you can still have that kitchen or backyard you don't need!

You know things are probably worse.

:getin:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

There's been a data dump from CMHC recently that the housing academics are feasting on. Josh Gordon has released a new (not peer reviewed!!!!! the YIMBYs are in a hurry to insist!) paper where he asserts a strong connection between non-resident ownership and distorted land values.

quote:

Analysis shows foreign money fuelled Vancouvers shockingly high real estate prices, says academic

VANCOUVERA Vancouver academic says new housing data shows that foreign money fuelled the regions extreme disconnect between incomes and home prices, but not everyone agrees with his analysis.

Using newly-released data from Statistics Canada, Josh Gordon, a professor at Simon Fraser Universitys School of Public Policy, has shown that the Metro Vancouver cities that developed the widest gap between home prices and incomes also had the highest share of non-resident ownership.

Gordon used a measure called the price-to-income ratio: the lower the number, the more closely home prices match what a local income earner could pay. For instance, Calgary has a price-to-income ratio of 3.9, Montreals is 4.1, Toronto has a relatively high ratio of 8.9, and Vancouver tops Canadian cities at 11.4.

But, Gordon said, a breakdown of some Metro Vancouver municipalities shows an extreme price-to-income ratio: The ratio is over 30 for the City of Vancouver and West Vancouver, and sits at just over 25 for Richmond.

For years, analysts have noted a mismatch between the very expensive homes in some Vancouver neighbourhoods and low reported incomes.

In 2016, Jens von Bergmann, a Vancouver-based data analyst, released a report showing that Vancouver has unusual pockets of poverty in neighbourhoods where homes are priced in the multi-millions, and an unusually high percentage of owner households whose shelter costs are higher than their reported incomes.

Gordon based his analysis on a 2017 report by Richard Wozny, a real estate analyst who died in February 2018. Wozny warned that the extreme disconnect between home prices and incomes pointed to either tax evasion, or a taxation system in need of updating to capture the wealth being generated by unbridled real estate speculation.

Gordon took Woznys analysis and added new data published by Statistics Canada, showing the percentage of non-resident owners. He said that analysis shows a remarkably strong relationship between high price-to-income ratios and non-resident ownership.

The money thats being used to purchase or maintain that housing is likely coming from abroad, Gordon said.

We can infer that non-resident ownership typically means foreign ownership, which is ownership primarily based on foreign income and wealth.

Gordon said the satellite family model is one possible explanation for high home prices and low reported incomes. The immigration pattern, in which the family breadwinner lives and works mostly in Asia while the spouse and children live in B.C., has been common in Metro Vancouver for more than 30 years.

Under tax treaties Canada has signed with other countries, people who do not make their income in Canada can declare themselves a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes.

Its not always tax evasion, but we have tax avoidance happening, Gordon said.

This is a way of avoiding taxes that most people think should be paid because the family is residing in Canada and using services.

Nathanael Lauster, a sociology professor at the University of British Columbia, warned against demonizing satellite families as either associated with money laundering or associated with nefarious ways of avoiding taxes in Canada. :jerkbag:

I worry that that is a problem, Lauster said, :jerkbag: because thats not actually reflective of what most of these satellite families are encountering on the ground.

Breadwinners often return to their home country to work because they have trouble getting credentials recognized or finding a job that pays well, Lauster said.

Lauster critiqued Gordons analysis as treating Metro Vancouver municipalities as separate entities, rather than recognizing that the urban core the City of Vancouver will always have more very wealthy and very poor people than the suburbs, as well as more expensive housing.

He said there could be other explanations for why reported income is low.

He doesnt clearly lay out the difference between income and wealth and there are real limits in understanding how wealth is working, Lauster said.

It means were not paying attention to other aspects of wealth that dont really show up in taxation data, including wealth that might be evading Canadian taxes legally or illegally.

In the 2018 budget, B.C.s NDP government introduced a speculation tax that applies to vacant homes, but also to people who own homes in B.C. but do not earn income here.

Gordon argued the tax has been effective: Home prices have been dropping, in sharp contrast to the steep escalation in prices that peaked in 2016.

Here's a link to the paper

This is the 'smoking gun' I guess.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

There's been a data dump from CMHC recently that the housing academics are feasting on. Josh Gordon has released a new (not peer reviewed!!!!! the YIMBYs are in a hurry to insist!) paper where he asserts a strong connection between non-resident ownership and distorted land values.

Here's a link to the paper

This is the 'smoking gun' I guess.

This paper isn't very good. Just saying. You can just as easily assert that non-resident buyers prefer more high demand cities, which naturally have higher price-income ratios.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
lmao whites always have a mortgage and therefore their level of asset ownership must track their taxable income exactly, white people never do things like get old and retire, or buy a house when they are young and earning money and then retire while living in the same house, or "save money", otherwise accumulate assets throughout their lives in any way. There is no way for asset prices to deviate from income other than the relentless yellow hordes.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I see so income has nothing to do with anything. Well then I think I've found the perfect argument for outlawing all natural resource jobs and building a massive wall to keep anything and everything from leaving or entering Alberta by way of BC.

You don't need a job to live in the second most unaffordable city in the world. The data proves this.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

I've been to Vancouver once and I agree it's one of the worst cities in Canada, but then my question is why do you guys stay? What keeps you here, the rain? the HST? Uwe Boll? Move to Calgary and you can still fly back to Vancouver every month to do whatever the gently caress people in Vancouver do.

I started working in real estate around 2005 and followed the US bubble blogs quite closely. What stood out in my mind was the number of people who endlessly gnashed their teeth and tore their hair about how they must must have a house and a yard and when are prices going to come down goddamit, many, maybe most of them eventually gave up and bought houses.

Look who's calling racism without appreciating that there actually are thousands of satellite families in Vancouver.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Throatwarbler posted:

lmao whites always have a mortgage and therefore their level of asset ownership must track their taxable income exactly, white people never do things like get old and retire, or buy a house when they are young and earning money and then retire while living in the same house, or "save money", otherwise accumulate assets throughout their lives in any way. There is no way for asset prices to deviate from income other than the relentless yellow hordes.

So there's nothing wrong with house prices decoupling from local incomes? Nothing wrong with the hollowing-out of Vancouver's economy that has slowly occurred over the last 20 years that is a direct consequence of this decoupling? Nothing wrong with the opioid abuse crisis that is also almost surely a direct result of this trend?

In a normal economy, of course there people at different demographic life stages that have earnings that may be at odds with the value of their individual homes. But on average, the young people and old people should cancel each other out. The statistic Gordon is looking at is the ratio of the average house price to the average income, and in a well-functioning economy both the numerator and denominator should grow at the same rate. A key part of the problem in Vancouver is precisely that there fewer and fewer high-income young people to cancel out the olds and the growing number of satellite families, and that is why his statistic, which is a standard measure of housing market "bubbliness," by the way, has risen so dramatically.

And yes, I am an expert on the macroeconomics of housing (I just got a large grant to study foreign ownership, in fact).

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Oakland Martini posted:

So there's nothing wrong with house prices decoupling from local incomes? Nothing wrong with the hollowing-out of Vancouver's economy that has slowly occurred over the last 20 years that is a direct consequence of this decoupling? Nothing wrong with the opioid abuse crisis that is also almost surely a direct result of this trend?

In a normal economy, of course there people at different demographic life stages that have earnings that may be at odds with the value of their individual homes. But on average, the young people and old people should cancel each other out. The statistic Gordon is looking at is the ratio of the average house price to the average income, and in a well-functioning economy both the numerator and denominator should grow at the same rate. A key part of the problem in Vancouver is precisely that there fewer and fewer high-income young people to cancel out the olds and the growing number of satellite families, and that is why his statistic, which is a standard measure of housing market "bubbliness," by the way, has risen so dramatically.

And yes, I am an expert on the macroeconomics of housing (I just got a large grant to study foreign ownership, in fact).

Omg racist

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I mean, it bears remembering that this bubble started in the mid 2000s with mostly-white Canadians buying houses with 0% down 40-year mortgages.

It also bears remembering that those satellite families are fairly diverse. Vancouver has the highest population of overseas US citizens of any city in the world. I'm pretty sure that the rich American assholes owning Shaughnessy mansions are using all the same shady tax avoidance tricks as the rich Mainland Chinese assholes.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oakland Martini posted:

I think you misunderstood that post. That study directly attributes non resident ownership as the single cause of that decoupling using nothing more than a univariate analysis on very flimsy data point. He then concludes that because he can't see an alternative cause, that this means you can ignore the age old rule that correlation does not equal causation, which is such a crock of horse poo poo that it's amazing this came out of someone who apparently has a PhD.

The post you quoted simply pointed out the possibility that the correlation may not be the causation at all.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

qhat posted:

I think you misunderstood that post. That study directly attributes non resident ownership as the single cause of that decoupling using nothing more than a univariate analysis on very flimsy data point. He then concludes that because he can't see an alternative cause, that this means you can ignore the age old rule that correlation does not equal causation, which is such a crock of horse poo poo that it's amazing this came out of someone who apparently has a PhD.

The post you quoted simply pointed out the possibility that the correlation may not be the causation at all.

I understood the post fine. In short, it asserted that house prices decoupling from incomes is a normal phenomenon that we should expect to see because people retire and live in expensive houses (that they purchased in their prime earning years) when they have low incomes. Which I pointed out is incoherent.

I also understand the correlation vs. causation "issue." In fact, the purpose of my research is to develop a quantitative model to perform counterfactual simulations that I can use to measure the causal contribution of foreign ownership to the housing bubble.

But in the case of Vancouver, the facts are so blindingly obvious that anyone who argues foreign ownership has nothing to do with housing prices is a moron or arguing in bad faith, or both. The data, as sparse as they are (and they are sparse because of intentional obfuscation of the problem by the previous government and the real estate industry), have only one sensible interpretation. Hence the scare quotes above. And yes, white people can be foreign owners. There are tons of rich Americans there, as the poster above you pointed out.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oakland Martini posted:

I understood the post fine. In short, it asserted that house prices decoupling from incomes is a normal phenomenon that we should expect to see because people retire and live in expensive houses (that they purchased in their prime earning years) when they have low incomes. Which I pointed out is incoherent.

I also understand the correlation vs. causation "issue." In fact, the purpose of my research is to develop a quantitative model to perform counterfactual simulations that I can use to measure the causal contribution of foreign ownership to the housing bubble.

But in the case of Vancouver, the facts are so blindingly obvious that anyone who argues foreign ownership has nothing to do with housing prices is a moron or arguing in bad faith, or both. The data, as sparse as they are (and they are sparse because of intentional obfuscation of the problem by the previous government and the real estate industry), have only one sensible interpretation. Hence the scare quotes above. And yes, white people can be foreign owners. There are tons of rich Americans there, as the poster above you pointed out.

Just stop right there and stop calling people morons. Noone here is arguing that non-resident ownership is not contributing to the problem, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to suddenly give a pass to studies that make grand assertions without a solid base to back it up. That study very explicitly claims that non-resident ownership is the primary cause of the house price decoupling, and that because the correlation is so strong (we're talking about data for a dozen cities in a single year, 2018) that we can just ignore the fact that correlation is not causation. Nobody serious in stats looks at one variable and one data point and then attributes causation to that variable, that's just plain incompetence. I'm fully onboard that there is a big problem with people buying houses here that don't live here, but that doesn't mean I have to give credit to every crackpot study that comes out that happens to align with my own views. This is why we have a thing called peer-review, because guess what, academics also put a lot of garbage out there and it would behoove you not to believe absolutely everything an Assistant to the Professor has to say without question.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 21, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why is this thread being flooded by new people who are still denying that massive scale Chinese money laundering is absolutely the main problem in Vancouver? We moved past this like 5+ years ago and even back then the constant "you're afraid of Asians" redirection was tiresome.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canadian realestate and luxury realestate in other pacific rim cities and elsewhere in the world all surged following chinas massive printing of money as dudes took huge business loans and sent the money out of the country with their families. The downturn last year also perfectly coincided with chinas implementation of controls on money moving out of the country. Yes, there was lots of domestic speculative activity but the chinese money was essential for the meteoric rise rather than your average bubble.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Why is this thread being flooded by new people who are still denying that massive scale Chinese money laundering is absolutely the main problem in Vancouver? We moved past this like 5+ years ago and even back then the constant "you're afraid of Asians" redirection was tiresome.

Who exactly is saying that? I'm pointing out that this study in particular which is currently receiving an inordinate amount of media attention is actually not a very good study for reasons that have nothing to do with whether you like Chinese people or not. I like to hold view points based on some kind of factual evidence, not based on made up conclusions from extremely flimsy statistics, and no, "it's just common sense" isn't good enough. Sure there is a huge problem with intentional withholding of data in real estate and that should be addressed as a matter of priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

non-resident posters I guess