Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shadow Hog posted:

Wouldn't be the first time, given we got Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur in one year.

Although I only saw Inside Out in theaters.

I've never forgiven The Good Dinosaur for implying that the other dinosaurs were not also good.

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pft, Asians have known the afterlife is full of queues and paperwork for centuries. As has anyone who watched Dragon Ball Z.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Macaluso posted:

Rango was great but the star of that movie for me was Rattlesnake Jake. He just ate up every scene he was in, he was so good.

Right? "One legend to another" is such a great delivery.

Between Jake, Davy Jones, and...whatever his name was from Underworld, I'd love for people to pay Bill Nighy to chew scenery forever.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
WIR2 finally popped up in our Netflix suggestions so we gave it a shot last night. Probably not going to finish it, but I do have a question.

In the first five minutes or so, Ralph and Vanellope go play Tron, which is infected with a virus. They get frozen in the game and call for help. Hard cut to them lying on the football field of some other game as if nothing happened. So... what was the point of them visiting Tron?

Was one of them unwittingly infected or something? Self-congratulatory reference for self-congratulatory reference's sake? Benefit of the doubt, it was to set up that Vanellope is good at racing, not just her game, but it did a bad job.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inkspot posted:

WIR2 finally popped up in our Netflix suggestions so we gave it a shot last night. Probably not going to finish it, but I do have a question.

In the first five minutes or so, Ralph and Vanellope go play Tron, which is infected with a virus. They get frozen in the game and call for help. Hard cut to them lying on the football field of some other game as if nothing happened. So... what was the point of them visiting Tron?

Was one of them unwittingly infected or something? Self-congratulatory reference for self-congratulatory reference's sake? Benefit of the doubt, it was to set up that Vanellope is good at racing, not just her game, but it did a bad job.

If you can't be bothered to put in the bare minimum effort of finish a movie before asking the internet questions about it we can't be be bothered to put in the effort of explaining it to you.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So the last 20 minutes is incredibly Tron-heavy. Thanks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's a joke about the Tron game being broken.

I hope this helped solve that complicated story point

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inkspot posted:

It sets up that viruses make racing games run slow so later when ralph needs a way to make cars go slower it's not just totally random that he thinks to buy a virus despite never having seen the internet before.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Boxman posted:

Between Jake, Davy Jones, and...whatever his name was from Underworld, I'd love for people to pay Bill Nighy to chew scenery forever.
And Detective Pikachu, he was really good in that one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:toot: :toot: :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP86-TR6IME

edit: Look at that BACKGROUND. I adore these movies doing their aesthetic so well:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 20, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shadow Hog posted:

And Detective Pikachu, he was really good in that one.

I think he did an excellent Slartibartfast.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

edit: Look at that BACKGROUND. I adore these movies doing their aesthetic so well:

So it's literally Infinity War?

EDIT: Then again, there are probably a whole bunch of other stories that involve gathering up doohickies to do something, so that is a bit unfair.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 20, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That's the one the McElroys are going to be in, right?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Macaluso posted:

The first movie's trailer made me iffy on the whole thing but I wound up loving it.

I hate this trailer as well so that can only mean good things!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bobulus posted:

That's the one the McElroys are going to be in, right?

It’s gonna turn out that it’s actually an 8 string instrument and the last two are “hip-hop” and “podcasts”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am going to enjoy that

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
A movie where rock music is the villain? In 2019?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rock music is outdated and listened to mostly by older people so it makes sense. Like 30 years ago this film would have been evil classic music man attacking them and them needing to get the power of rock and roll to beat them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The first movie has an intentional anachronistic 70s theme to its music and art direction so this fits right in with it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It won't be. If you think that's how it would end, then you didn't watch the first Trolls.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why not? Rock has been dying a slow death for the last decade or so.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SolarFire2 posted:

Why not? Rock has been dying a slow death for the last decade or so.

It's never gonna die, but I do think it's hit a stagnation point, but everything sort of does when it gets big enough.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah, I'm sure the rock and roll troll is just going through some things right now and needs to learn how to better express their feeling and get along with the other members of the musical family.

Pick posted:

It won't be. If you think that's how it would end, then you didn't watch the first Trolls.

Yeah, the last movie involved Poppy befriending and discovering how to co-exist with an entire species that literally ate Trolls for pleasure. After that I don't think she's going to have a serious problem getting along with someone whose main crime is "stealing some strings".

Really looking forward to this movie, the art style is such a delight :3:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

i thought about the symbolism of Rock being the villain and Hip-Hop not being part of the traditional six string structure but something that is constantly giving birth to itself outside the system and I'm kinda convinced that the movie is gonna be about Rock learning to not try to take over everything else and to allow Hip-Hop into music as a whole, which would mirror the larger trend of acceptance of hip-hop in the 90s-2000s in the music industry

and of course the end song will be a bunch of trolls singing Walk this Way, the DMC/Aerosmith version

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

doomrider7 posted:

It's never gonna die, but I do think it's hit a stagnation point, but everything sort of does when it gets big enough.

It's like Jazz, it's still probably going to be around, but I don't think it will be mainstream. Just appreciated by boring people like me.

Actually Jazz is like the new Coke, it'll be around forever -- wait, this isn't funny anymore, thanks a lot Bill

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

New Coke is coming back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't Diet Coke basically New Coke with artificial sweetener?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Diet Coke basically New Coke with artificial sweetener?

IIRC, it was the other way around. The coke folks heard people preferred the taste of diet to regular, so they made New Coke as Diet Coke but with actual sugar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

The coke folks heard people preferred the taste of diet to regular

which is bizarre, because diet coke tastes loving disgusting

coke zero, meanwhile, is totally fine

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Schwarzwald posted:

IIRC, it was the other way around. The coke folks heard people preferred the taste of diet to regular, so they made New Coke as Diet Coke but with actual sugar.

It's more they lost to Pepsi in a highly publicized taste test and tried to taste more like Pepsi

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
pepsi does taste better than coke

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looper posted:

pepsi does taste better than coke

Wow way to be wrong.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Eh. Sometimes you want more sugar, sometimes you want more fizz.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll admit to being biased as I might have a small coke addiction.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember hearing somewhere that cold pepsi tastes like warm coke (because coke was made back before refridgeration was common and thus wasn't made with being drank cold in mind, but pepsi was made afterwards and thus was)

I'll admit I'm not a fan of either so I have no desire to verify this

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Robindaybird posted:

It's more they lost to Pepsi in a highly publicized taste test and tried to taste more like Pepsi

Pepsi of course considered the whole "Coke reformulates to taste more like Pepsi" thing highly amusing, declaring "Victory over Coke Day" and such.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Coke? Pepsi? Oh please, Dr. Pepper is better than all other lesser sodas :colbert:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Pepsi: For When You Can't Have Coke.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I drink water.

Back when I still drank soda, though, I was more a lemon-lime main. Sprite was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Coke>Pepsi
Sprite>Sierra Mist
Seagrams<Schweppes

Dr. Pepper is it's own thing with a very different flavor.