Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Chu020 posted:

PO must have drilled into the wall to hang something, then patched and painted it just before selling and didn't realize he drilled into the drat waste pipe from the bathroom upstairs. But we're building equity I guess????

I'll bet he realized it and just hid it...that or he's a complete DIY moron.

Drywall is soft and only 1/2 an inch (in most cases), and if you feel your bit go through that, go another inch or two deeper and then hit something solid, you loving stop drilling. The PVC shavings coming out of the hole and stuck to the bit should be the final indicator that you goofed.

I use a piece of wire coat hanger that I can probe through the drywall (before drilling) to feel around for stuff. It's also handy for probing up through the ceiling into the attic so that I can find where I'm at by looking for it in the insulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I would have thought installing a protective metal plate on the wall-facing side of that pipe would be required by code. Started googling around a bit and found that even that might not be enough if you're dumb and motivated enough: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/87519/metal-object-encountered-when-drilling-into-wall-above-radiator

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I would have thought installing a protective metal plate on the wall-facing side of that pipe would be required by code. Started googling around a bit and found that even that might not be enough if you're dumb and motivated enough: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/87519/metal-object-encountered-when-drilling-into-wall-above-radiator

There actually is one of those up by the header, where, along with the studs, you'd normally be throwing nails/screws in to hang the drywall. It's pretty uncommon to protect the entire run of a pipe in the cavity between studs, especially if putting in insulation like this outside wall.

It's a good idea to try to figure out where your major plumbing and electrical runs are in the walls, but you should still always assume there's a chance of something important behind the drywall. Don't go deep-drilling everywhere like a gorilla.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My ceiling has those lovely old "ceiling titty" light fixtures throughout the entire house. Changing the bulbs is a HUGE pain in the rear end requiring tools, ladder, and a second set of hands.

I need to replace them immediately. ~14 fixtures in a mix of hallways, bedrooms, bathrooms and a closet.

Should I look for new ceiling titty fixtures that are easier to swap bulbs, or go for like... recessed lighting? I don't want to break the bank here, but I want to have SOME built-in lighting in each room.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My ceiling has those lovely old "ceiling titty" light fixtures throughout the entire house. Changing the bulbs is a HUGE pain in the rear end requiring tools, ladder, and a second set of hands.

I need to replace them immediately. ~14 fixtures in a mix of hallways, bedrooms, bathrooms and a closet.

Should I look for new ceiling titty fixtures that are easier to swap bulbs, or go for like... recessed lighting? I don't want to break the bank here, but I want to have SOME built-in lighting in each room.

I was able to find simple integrated LED lights that install like those fixtures bit are more minimalist/unobtrusive. They set me back 30-50 a pop and hopefully won't need any attention for years.

Recessed lighting is much more involved, and requires more than one light per room because they can't project light horizontally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You might ask this in the interior design thread if you're looking for style choices? If you just want options, the lighting section at any home improvement store or lighting store will have a number of options.

Recessed lighting requires cutting holes, at a minimum. It's easier to do if you have an unfinished attic space above, but if you have a floor above the fixture that can complicate matters. One or two is totally DIYable, 14 I'd want to hire an electrician.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leperflesh posted:

You might ask this in the interior design thread if you're looking for style choices? If you just want options, the lighting section at any home improvement store or lighting store will have a number of options.

Recessed lighting requires cutting holes, at a minimum. It's easier to do if you have an unfinished attic space above, but if you have a floor above the fixture that can complicate matters. One or two is totally DIYable, 14 I'd want to hire an electrician.

Thanks a ton! I had no idea this thread existed. I have so many house projects swirling around my brain so this thread is going to be a good read.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unless every bulb is burned out, no you do not need to replace them immediately.

Slow down and take a measured approach to what the design of your house looks like before buying anything. Then just do it as you can afford and need.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

Unless every bulb is burned out, no you do not need to replace them immediately.

Slow down and take a measured approach to what the design of your house looks like before buying anything. Then just do it as you can afford and need.

6 of 14 have dead bulbs and/or broken-in-place bulbs, 3 are missing the dome covers because the painters broke them, and all 14 are loose enough that you can twist the entire mounting plate off the wall with two fingers

You have a good point, but it does feel reasonable to just take care of it all in one fell swoop rather than have an electrician made 8 visits over the next 6 months as the bulbs burn out.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

an electrician

Eh?

Granted, I've never done light fixtures, but I can't imagine they're any more difficult than a fan. I'm not sure you'll need an electrician as long as you can locate the right breaker (which is easier if the lights work...). Do 2-3 each weekend and it'll be done in no time. It'll probably be at least $500 in labor for an electrician.

Unless you have vaulted ceilings, then gently caress that. But i can't imagine ceiling boobs work on high ceilings...

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 21, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't gently caress with electricity other than plugging stuff into sockets.

If removing a 38 year old fixture and installing a new one is truly idiot proof, I'll put my idiot mettle to the test, but I was under the impression my options were much more limited on the DIY side (as in, I must use a New Ceiling Boob)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was under the impression my options were much more limited on the DIY side (as in, I must use a New Ceiling Boob)

Nah, there are a lot of choices.

Go to a nice lighting store, bring some pics on your phone of what you got now with an idea of room size, etc. They will fix you right up.

Bring them home and seriously....just hire an electrician to bang them all out at the same time. You don't need to pinch pennies here. If you've got a house full to do somebody will come in and take the afternoon to knock it out.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't gently caress with electricity other than plugging stuff into sockets.

If removing a 38 year old fixture and installing a new one is truly idiot proof, I'll put my idiot mettle to the test, but I was under the impression my options were much more limited on the DIY side (as in, I must use a New Ceiling Boob)
I've replaced a few different light fixtures, it's seriously one of the easier home repairs there is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chris is wealthy he can afford to spend a little money having an electrician do it. I agree it's easy, but it's also annoying working with your arms up above your head, discovering the lovely wiring job the PO did, dropping wire nuts off the ladder and having to go find them, etc. etc.

I have and will always do it myself, but I'm super thrifty and willing to ruin my shoulders and be in pain to save a dollar because that's deeply ingrained in my working-class ancestry and damned if I'm going to spend a single red cent paying some tradesman to do what I can do almost as well in three times the time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I put in 8 ceiling fans when I moved into my new house, and let me tell you, I probably would have rather just paid someone 400 bucks to do it instead. More than 50 bucks a pop I'd still do them myself. Same with my blinds... Did them myself to save money, but for 300 bucks I would have rather had someone else do it in retrospect.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I GUESS

I suppose 14 fixtures is a lot, but for something that simple I'd have a hard time paying someone else to do it. I mean there's plenty of easy poo poo I'd gladly pay someone to do, but putting up light fixtures isn't one of them.

But also I find electrical work easy/enjoyable for the most part, so there's that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So what's the proper way of wiring a ceiling light besides letting it dangle off the tiny ground wire while you do the rest? I've replaced a few but always felt like I needed a third hand (and replacing a ceiling fan was a nightmare).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fallom posted:

So what's the proper way of wiring a ceiling light besides letting it dangle off the tiny ground wire while you do the rest? I've replaced a few but always felt like I needed a third hand (and replacing a ceiling fan was a nightmare).

Ceiling fans hook to the box so that you can do them more easily.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Can we please make this the thread background?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

I started today thinking I was going to put up a small set of shelves in my garage. Easy, right? Well then I discovered that the sill plate on that wall of the garage is completely rotted out because of an old carpenter ant infestation and an old rodent infestation with lots of piss. So now I've spent the last 7 hours jacking the side of my garage up, removing the old sill plate, and putting in the new one. I'm like half way done and kind of want to die from breathing in piss wood fumes and being covered in sweat.

Also I managed to split one of the studs while jacking the wall up. Not one of the 80 year old studs mind you, because that would be logical. No I somehow cracked one of the 6 month old studs I put up. Luckily it's redundant so I'm taking the time-tested homeowner strategy of ignoring it for the time being (forever)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

The ceiling fans I've put in have had a bracket that screws to the box, and then a ball on the end of the motor that slots into the bracket. There's never a time where it's hanging from the wires.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

The ceiling fans I've put in have had a bracket that screws to the box, and then a ball on the end of the motor that slots into the bracket. There's never a time where it's hanging from the wires.

This brand is amazing. I did one 20 feet up and it was easy as pie. Even the wires had a quick connector you pre wired and just snapped together. Other then that I recommend you buy some zip ties for other things and just temp zip it up there while you do your thing and get the mount screws all started.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It’s not a brand thing though? Every ceiling fan I’ve ever installed has had a ball and a hanger.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheWevel posted:

It’s not a brand thing though? Every ceiling fan I’ve ever installed has had a ball and a hanger.

It could be a brand, a newer trend, or just what you get when you spend more on a fan. None of the ones that came in my house have that and I'd guess they're 10 years old.

Elephanthead posted:

This brand is amazing. I did one 20 feet up and it was easy as pie. Even the wires had a quick connector you pre wired and just snapped together. Other then that I recommend you buy some zip ties for other things and just temp zip it up there while you do your thing and get the mount screws all started.

Ooh zip ties is a good idea. Never thought of that.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 23, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fallom posted:

It could be a brand, a newer trend, or just what you get when you spend more on a fan. None of the ones that came in my house have that and I'd guess they're 10 years old.

The cheapest fan at home depot had a hook. But that was a year ago max, maybe they only recently added them. It wasn't a ball though it was a key style thinger. ($45? For a fan with 4-light fixture.)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

The cheapest fan at home depot had a hook.

Watch those hooks. I just installed a fan and while slightly moving it to manipulate some wires, the hook snapped off and the whole thing fell. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to catch it and not fall off my step stool. If it was directly above my head/face looking up, I would've had a very bad day.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I thought dangling things by the wires was how you checked your connections were secure :v:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got a full price offer after one day on the market :confuoot:

Edit:

:siren:

A second offer has hit the house :911:

:siren:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 24, 2019

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
give them the "we'll be taking OFFERS for the next 10 days" spiel and then make the finalists fight to the death on the front lawn. :black101: :homebrew:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 24, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t know how the gently caress this happened on the not cool side of Cleveland. Or any side of Cleveland.

Or Ohio in general.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

give them the "we'll be taking applications for the next 10 days" spiel and then make the finalists fight to the death on the front lawn. :black101: :homebrew:

Put me down for 2 VIP seats. I want to be in the "splash zone".

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

I don’t know how the gently caress this happened on the not cool side of Cleveland. Or any side of Cleveland.

Or Ohio in general.

Lebron trickle down?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Keyser_Soze posted:

Lebron trickle down?

One is an exec being moved from one of the coasts, the other is an empty nester couple moving to be closer to their kid. Both have already sold their homes.

Actually, I could use some advice on evaluating the offers...

Offer 1 is asking for a full suite of inspections (mold, radon, sewer lines, etc) but also wants to close by the end of July. They are being relocated for work from the Bay Area and are putting 20% down, 1% earnest. They likely have plenty of cash on hand. They are already asking for cosmetic repairs to be made as part of the offer. They have already sold their other home.

Offer 2 is only asking for a general inspection and waiving all others. They are proposing a closing in late August but said they are flexible. They have already sold their old home and are currently renting. They are only putting 5% down and about 0.8% earnest.

The offer 1 family has clearly never dealt with a 100+ year old home and is trying to go all in on inspections. The other family seems to be familiar with homes that old and less worried, but I’m concerned about the minimum down payment.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the best way to get a better looking lawn? My lawn is full, but has its share of weeds/crabgrass. Is buying one of those 4 step systems by Scott or something enough?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
does the amount they're putting down really matter to you? I've never sold a house but how does that even make a difference ultimately?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

does the amount they're putting down really matter to you? I've never sold a house but how does that even make a difference ultimately?

Doesn't that play into the type of financing they're using, thus making the whole process faster/slower?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Lower down payment means it's riskier to lenders, which makes it harder to get approved financing. As a seller, this increases the risk of either delayed closing, or worse the sale falling through due to lack of financing and therefore having to relist.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
They do have a pre-approval letter that they submitted.

The other family sent me a letter talking about how much they’ll love the house as it’s clear I did, etc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A letter isn’t a terrible idea, that helped us get an immediate acceptance on the house we bought last year when another offer was already on the table.

Then again we moved just down the street in the same neighborhood and dropped enough hints as to who we were, so they were happy to sell it to us because they knew we would take care of it.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
How confident do you feel about the appraisal vs offer value? People who buy a house (especially a hundred year old one) and ask for cosmetics rather than just reflecting it in the offer are kind of a red flag for me. If you think it will appraise, I'd be more likely to go with the 5% offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe not the best place to ask, but what the hell.

I got a really nice patio furniture set, the chairs are pretty big and not really realistic to move inside when it rains. Are there any recommendations to cover them to keep the set dry when it rains short of a big ugly tarp?

Edit - Wow look at that, searching Amazon for "Patio chair rain cover" gave me lots of options.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 24, 2019