Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

A charity! Multimillionaires start charities, not least so that they can unload appreciated investments that they'd rather donate than pay taxes on. Starting charities is not a middle class gig. Even contributing is ill advised for anyone who hasn't secured their income in old age. Gotta focus on the You Foundation first.

Plus, aren't charities, like, a long-term commitment? KG has the attention span of a ferret on meth.

ETA: Found another gem from the old thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=81272&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post432511839

quote:

Anyway I can't comment more until I read the thread in its entirety again. Only 3 pages so that won't take long. From the first page I must admit that Mr Money Mustache really changed how people think about early retirement. The consensus was that we'd need around $12,000/mo to retire by 45. With our current income (about half that) I'm confident we could retire by 37-if we had no debt-with the right expense:savings ratio of course.

April fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahha

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

There are some real doozies in there, I can remember reading that exact post

quote:

I will likely be able to land a job making about $148,000.00 because my boss who doubles that mentoring me in it. For real he printed out something that shows me a career path he's leading me on.

The boss who went out of business, naturally

quote:

We make $86,000 a year in a pretty low cost of living area (equivalent to about $148,000 in SF Bay/NYC). At a 65% savings rate (which would be entirely possible for us with a paid off house ala MMM) we would be able to save $559,000 in 10 years

Ah yes this theoretical house that we don't own, much less have paid off, will allow us to save $55k per year for ten consecutive years, all while raising a kid. Kids are free, dontcha know.

April
Jul 3, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

There are some real doozies in there, I can remember reading that exact post

The boss who went out of business, naturally

Ah yes this theoretical house that we don't own, much less have paid off, will allow us to save $55k per year for ten consecutive years, all while raising a kid. Kids are free, dontcha know.

KG Paraphrased posted:

MMM SAID KIDS CAN BE CHEAP AND I CAN RETIRE IN FIVE YEARS AND HE KNOWS EVERYTHING!!!

KG months later posted:

....what do you mean I have to be frugal & disciplined???

KG 30 seconds after that posted:

OOOO LOOK SOMETHING SHINY!!!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The streets of San Francisco are not paved with gold and I ain't making no $250k a year there. Judging from your pattern, you'd find even more expensive stuff there to buy on credit and chain yourself down with.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Yo, KG and/or his wife, read the adults with attention disorders thread, and see if any of that sounds familiar.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i know people in san francisco that make six figures and have to share a one bedroom apartment with three people

April
Jul 3, 2006

The old thread really is the gift that keeps on giving....

quote:

Bugamol:
Dammit I (really) woke up in a cold sweat multiple times last night thinking about $10,000.00 in credit card debt at 23% interest.

10k at 23% is terrifying nightmare fuel, but 20k at 18% is cool and good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KG posted:

Edit Also SloMo? Alright let's take it easy on the insults I know I've been financially stupid but that's going a bit far don't you think ?

slowmo kicked your rear end, dogg:

Slow Motion posted:

Thought I might pop by and say howdy.

I don't know if anyone remembers but I used to maintain a debt thread here a few years ago. I had just separated from my ex-wife and was bleeding money at a prodigious rate. At the start of the thread I was about $35,000 in debt to a combination of credit cards and a 401k loan. Over the course of a year long thread I managed to change course and was making regular monthly progress towards a debt free life.

This is an update. Hopefully a conclusion, really, to that crisis and time in my life.

In December 2015 two things happened. I got my bonus, enough to paid off the last of my credit cards and leaving only $9,000 in 401k loan. And I got fired. It was one or the other. One of my projects was way over budget and I was told I would eat the overrun from my bonus. After some heated debate they paid me the whole bonus but decided to call it a severance. Rather than pay off the credit cards I hoarded the cash and set all payments to minimum.

I went on unemployment, $650 a week, for the full six months. Having sold my car I used the unemployment to cover the $2,450 rent and my girlfriend covered food for us. Credit debt crept up slowly as I would use the cards in place of my cash hoard. I also had to spend through my HSA on a case of turf-toe and a secondary infection which kept me off my feet for a couple months. All in all I think it was a useful and sobering time which let me reflect and plan my next phase of life.

That next phase began with my accepting a position in Southern California working for an old client from my previous consulting days. Pay was decent at $110k + bonus (more loaded toward base salary than consulting had been). They had offered relocation money but I never got it in writing and they balked when I wanted to revisit the subject after signing. Moving costs built up fast, and I added extra cost by making a nice two week road trip down the coast out of the experience. In May 2016 when I accepted the position I had about $15,000 in credit debt and $9,000 in cash. In June 2016 when I started the new job I paid off what I could, leaving $7,000 in credit debt and $1,300 in cash.

The next two years in SoCal have been... Quiet. No grand vacations. No elective surgeries. Vastly less drinking. My girlfriend became my fiance. After a couple raises in my first year I take home $3,000 every two weeks. I've kept regular expenses under $4,500/mo consistently and I don't budget my bonus (a recurring recommendation from the last thread). There were some unexpected expenses here and there (mostly related to the junker car I bought when I arrived here). Finally, in April 2018, I paid the last of my debt and enjoyed a couple months of true zero debt for the first time since 2011. I've continued to hoard cash through it all (set a floor of $10,000 in checking after my first year at the new job) - a habit I attribute to the financial panic I felt when I lost my first "real" job.

In June 2018 I took on an auto loan of $12,000 for a used Hyundai Genesis (after a 9k down payment). This remains my only debt, and I have $26,000 in checking that I'm considering using to fully pay off the car. My retirement accounts are at $100k with no loans against them. The plan is to maintain this lifestyle for another year and build up another $50k in savings as a down payment on a house. The fiance makes decent money as a chemist for a giant corporation (30k/yr) and is looking to double that by moving from a contract position to full time salaried.

So there it is. Four years after I first admitted I had problem with debt I'm finally truly out of the woods. Thank you to everyone who encouraged me, yelled at me, or laughed with (at) me. If it weren't for the motivation of that thread I would have not been in a place to pull through unemployment. And I probably would have taken a construction job and lost my career focus. Seriously: Thank you guys. I hope this post provides some closure to the Slow Motion saga.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869178&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

April posted:

Not sure I’d call it a gift. I started reading it and actually went :stare: at this sarcastic post on page 28:

quote:

Plus we could probably save around $400/mo if we get rid of everything we own and move into a motel for $400/mo. Hell even better we could live in a camping trailer my mom has behind her house for maybe $100/mo. That's sustainable.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

quote:

Hell even better we could live in a camping trailer my mom has behind her house for maybe $100/mo.

Does she still have that trailer? Are there two trailers at her house?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

April posted:

I still use an Excel spreadsheet that someone (maybe Bugamol?) made Knyteguy in the first thread for all my budgeting.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Ancillary Character posted:

I still use an Excel spreadsheet that someone (maybe Bugamol?) made Knyteguy in the first thread for all my budgeting.

Care to link the template, if you can? Bring back something good to this mess.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
BFC trainwrecks KG is doing worse than:

Cornholio
Slow Motion
Zaurg

BFC trainwrecks KG gets to sneer at:

Blue story maybe

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Out of all the incredible decisions chronicled thus far in this thread, none bewilder me more than going massively into debt in order to make a cross-country tour of America and then making the decisions to:

1) photograph it so poorly that one of the shots you're showing off is a blurry, crooked, tiny, poorly-framed shot of loving Tampa; and

2) accuse one of the most interesting and diverse states in the union of having "sucked balls" because you were too dumb to stop and try some of the best cuisine available in this godforsaken country

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Good luck KG.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Could someone please post it? I’d like to check it out. Thank you!

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

The Experiment posted:

Could someone please post it? I’d like to check it out. Thank you!

I think I have the original base template on my computer at home, so I'll see if I can upload it somewhere after work.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Imagine doing worse than zaurg

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Here's the download link for the original Budget Template spreadsheet I got from the first thread:

https://gofile.io/?c=T7uEzr

Let me know if there's somewhere better to upload it, I just picked a random site that doesn't require me to register.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Here's the download link for the original Budget Template spreadsheet I got from the first thread:

https://gofile.io/?c=T7uEzr

Let me know if there's somewhere better to upload it, I just picked a random site that doesn't require me to register.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stay out of other threads Zaurg.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Keep repeatedly tazing your balls you idiot

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

This is actually a good idea. Thanks. zaurg will remain confined to 3 threads in all of SA (BFC thread, Running thread, and TFLC thread). If I venture out anywhere else, ban me.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
And SloMo is an experienced but uncertified actuary. A programmer should out earn - but you gotta control spending, too.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

:getout:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

zaurg posted:

This is actually a good idea. Thanks. zaurg will remain confined to 3 threads in all of SA (BFC thread, Running thread, and TFLC thread). If I venture out anywhere else, ban me.

ban him

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
OP's never coming back.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Bobbie Wickham posted:

OP's never coming back.

He will, once he's bought a McMansion and financed two more cars and adopted 6 more dogs with health issues and then he'll want help for real this time.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Zaurg running a smokescreen for KG to rev up the RV and blaze a new trail with his kid, pets, and spouse cramped in the trailer. We'll never catch him.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Olive Branch posted:

Zaurg running a smokescreen for KG to rev up the RV and blaze a new trail with his kid, pets, and spouse cramped in the trailer. We'll never catch him.

okay no more

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
I think my favorite part of the saga so far is this juxtaposition:

Knyteguy posted:

Our plans are unlimited hotspot barring Verizon, and we have AT&T, T-Mobile (my phone) , and Verizon (my wife's phone and a hot spot). This was great on the road, but unnecessary now. I ~may~ be able to sell the plans, as you can't get AT&T or T-Mobile unlimited hotspot usage anymore and I'm apart of an RV internet group. I'm not counting on it, but I'll throw up a post later to see if anyone bites.

Knyteguy posted:

We have options if my mom's place doesn't work out; we're completely setup for off the grid living if needed (within commuting distance and legally) and there's also RV parks and whatnot, and we have a free bedroom at my grandma's if needed as well.

Dude needs to spend $400/mo across 3 different carriers to ensure that he has access to the internet at any time, any location.... but also believes that he is "completely setup for off the grid living". Yeah, sure. The guy who can't even spend a day with lackluster coverage is totally ready for off the grid living at the drop of a hat. :thunk: lmfao

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Raldikuk posted:

Dude needs to spend $400/mo across 3 different carriers to ensure that he has access to the internet at any time, any location.... but also believes that he is "completely setup for off the grid living". Yeah, sure. The guy who can't even spend a day with lackluster coverage is totally ready for off the grid living at the drop of a hat. :thunk: lmfao

Sounds like he's confused "off the grid" with squatting.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bobbie Wickham posted:

OP's never coming back.

My wife's dad passed away so we've been pretty busy with that.

We have one truck, not two. I'm not sure where that came from.

I've paid off all of the credit cards.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

I thought you just traded them in for truck and RV debt.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Sorry to hear about your loss, Knyteguy.

I have learned it is common to let things like a budget slide during stressful times like this. Try to keep in mind some healthy methods to deal with grief & stress instead of spending.

Congrats on getting the credit cards to zero.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Get out, zaurg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

My wife's dad passed away so we've been pretty busy with that.

We have one truck, not two. I'm not sure where that came from.

You said you have a Silverado but I am pretty sure you previously had a f-150 to tow the camper

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Get out, zaurg

Eat poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

zaurg posted:

Eat poo poo

zaurg posted:

Can we please flush this turd already?