Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I don't doubt fnox' descriptions and news links of what goes on in Venezuela, but the anecdotes just make it sound like a typical country in Latin America. I.e. definitely bad, but the problems are complex and present under a wide range of nominal political affiliations at the federal level. Yes, by all means vote out/do popular uprisings against bad governments (of which Maduro's is probably one), but it's not worth the cost if you're trading it for Donald Trump's puppet regime. And with a foreign army led by known bad actors there may be a few legitimacy concerns, to put it mildly.

I also really doubt that Vzla is not racist. Racism is everywhere in the region and intertwined with classism and nationalism. If you think it's not there, it's because it's not being examined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

fnox posted:

where are these white supremacist militias?

yet another call for us military intervention

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Condiv posted:

hey fnox, is your last name something like mengele-eichmann?
fnox literally was getting upset they took down a Christopher Columbus statue and going all heritage not hate and also doesn't see race - but the nasty Americans are trying to force the concept on innocent Venezuela. so I'm guessing yes

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Calling for an invasion because of seeing people eat out of the trash is funny because in the US I can walk down the street of the national capital over to its architectural jewel train station and at any given time there will be about 20 homeless people camping out on the pavement out front. Meanwhile literally just a couple miles away

https://twitter.com/washingtonian/status/988410412092751872

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Personally, I think it was brave of fnox to finally join in the debate about Venezuela. They seem awfully uninformed, but I think we can educate them :)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
This highlights the dangers of not reading the OP

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought of was "venezuela is rich except for all the poor people driving down the gdp per capita"

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I wonder how big an impact the 2014-2016 drought (and apparently another one in 2018?) had on Venezuela's economy. Similar things have been happening in Honduras and Guatemala, and people have been fleeing the countryside there en masse. It's hard to apportion the blame between climate change and government incompetence, but the former is starting to play a bigger role.

Between drought and low oil prices, the US sure chose the perfect moment to put the thumbscrews on.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/anyaparampil/status/1141761675705688064

quote:

In conjunction with the Trump Administration’s announcement, Guaidó ordered Venezuela’s legally defunct National Assembly to appoint a new board of directors to PDVSA and Citgo.

Within weeks, Reuters reported the new Citgo board “was arranging its first meeting at the company’s headquarters” in Houston.

“It seems like the U.S. legal system will generally accept the legal fiction that PDVSA, Citgo’s sole shareholder, is controlled by Guaidó rather than by the people in Venezuela who actually control it,” Bloomberg opinion columnist Matt Levine wrote at the time, highlighting the bizarre character of the move.

The Guaidó-appointed board was subsequently stacked with corporate consultants and former PDVSA employees who were forced out of the company under the watch of the late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Citgo appeared to confirm the existence of the US government probe, stating that it “received a subpoena from the Department of Justice, which has been conducting a multi-year investigation into corruption practices in PDVSA.” Citgo is a subsidiary of Petroleum of Venezuela (PDVSA), the country’s state-owned oil company.

Citgo said it has “pledged full cooperation” with the investigation. It did not specify the nature of the subpoena or whether it concerned illegal activities alleged to have taken place before or after Guaido’s appointees took control of the company.

Citgo’s announcement followed an ominous comment by Venezuela’s Vice Minister of Communications on June 17:

“It is very likely that the United States Department of Justice will open an ad hoc investigation into the fake board of directors that Juan Guaidó appointed to the Citgo company,” Rodriguez proclaimed during a presentation from Venezuela’s presidential palace.

According to Rodriguez, the investigation was sparked by an alleged accounting fraud totaling $70 million. Rodriguez asserted the money, originally meant to cover PDVSA’s 2020 bond payment due in April, was stolen by Guaido’s representative in the US.

“It seems like the person directly involved in having pocketed those $70 million in excesses, due to cooking the books, is Mr. Carlos Vecchio,” charged Rodriguez.

The allegations of theft on a mass scale came just a day after members of Guaidó’s inner circle were exposed for embezzling $125,000 in money intended for humanitarian aid, spending it on expensive hotels and luxury items in Colombia.

Guaidó’s coup administration is not only facing a collapse of its credibility, but now the possibility of serious legal consequences for its brazen conduct.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t believe Juan was actually a competent man after all.

the greatest grifter we have ever seen

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fnox posted:

ok, evidence of what specifically are you talking about? because I can probably find it.

btw they did bang about it 24/7 it wasn't on every headline because tbh atrocities occurring abroad barely blip in the american news cycle unless they're of really absurd scales.
the US literally fabricates atrocities from whole cloth to justify war. the first gulf war was preceded by lies about iraqi troops massacring incubator babies in a prelude to genocide

the US literally bombed and couped libya on the absurdly flimsy justification that there was going to be atrocities, not that atrocities had happened during the civil war

"killing hope" is a tome full of the US fabricating claims to justify bombing and overthrowing governments all over latin america during the cold war

propaganda about the horrors of the maduro regime was blasted constantly into literally every american household with a tv, radio, or internet connection

no one should trust any of your analysis on US foreign policy and coup attempts. my suggestion to you is to read killing hope so you have an idea about how american foreign policy works

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah it's funny fnox is asking if people have studied venezuelan history or whatever, but really american history is more relevant here. Fnox, you need to listen to actual americans and stop erasing our experiences (of wrecking other countries).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The USA would never fabricate a cassus belli.

Iran: "Today we will destroy two random oil tankers for no reason. Right when the Americans are looking for an excuse to attack us."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

30.5 Days posted:

I saw people eating in trash cans here in Seattle and want a massive empire (china) to invade and kill a lot of people. We're a lot alike, you and I.

:same:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think fnox should read the OP before making uninformed posts that don’t contribute to healthy debate. For your convenience fnox, here it is:

R. Guyovich posted:

new thread, old one was goldmined for being too good

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the situation in [Chicago/New York/Los Angeles/San Francisco] is reaching a crisis point! people cannot afford basic necessities like medicine and shelter, and are eating out of trash cans! The violence is so out of control that hundreds of people are shot every year! the only way to save the people of [Chicago/New York/Los Angeles/San Francisco] is for [Canada/The EU/Mexico/China] to intervene and overthrow the government so that stability may once again take hold

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the US is also running concentration camps, so they may not care about freedom.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fnox posted:

can you at least admit maduro had some fault in this?

The point isn't that he has no fault, but that it isn't a situation where "Maduro directly did things that hosed things up in such a way that merely removing him will fix/improve the situation," and your argument requires that this be the case (because you're not just arguing that Maduro has made mistakes, you're arguing that he is a direct cause of the crisis to such an extent that virtually anyone would be preferable, even people who are obviously terrible like Guaido).

fnox posted:

what about the poo poo I just posted? not grim enough for you? I don't think quelacreo.com is still up but the videos are out there anyway.

ah, dude was right you're all loving worthless. you can keep the D&D thread. donate to the red cross, peace.

The bar is high when you're arguing "the current administration is so dire literally anyone would be better," and you would generally have an easier time finding a list of recent atrocities if you literally pulled a random country's name out of a hat than you do with Venezuela. It honestly does not rank high on the list of "countries that do crimes/atrocities." Your argument is heavily dependent upon attributing all indirect harm from economic causes to Maduro himself as a result. It is very easy to pull up a super long list of atrocities in the US, for example, but it would be dumb for someone to be like "and therefore I think we should replace Obama with this Republican, because nothing could really be worse than this" (though this would actually be a considerably more reasonable argument since the US is way worse than Venezuela in terms of being "a country that does crimes both to itself and others").

Your argument is not just "Maduro did some bad things"; it is "Maduro is doing such awful things that even someone as transparently awful as Guaido would be better." That requires an argument not just that bad things have happened, but that any random dubious politician would probably be better.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jun 21, 2019

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The US State Department has a very very good track record when it comes to choosing proper leaders, I would give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to evaluating who is best to run whatever country you are from

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

The US State Department has a very very good track record when it comes to choosing proper leaders, I would give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to evaluating who is best to run whatever country you are from

I mean, they couldn't possibly be worse than Maduro, literally the worst thing to ever happen to Latin America.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
People in venezuela are starving because:

1) Maduro hasn't gotten rid of the fuel subsidy that's been around for decades . He merely reduced it.
2) *gestures broadly at oil infrastructure*

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Therefore we need to be invaded, preferably by a country who also has a fuel subsidy, but a smaller one.

Basically numbers fuckstein except "just wants to gently caress around with fuel subsidies and invade someone"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look if you run concentration camps for children then you can probably be pretty good at identifying human rights violations by virtue of the rule 'takes one to know one.'

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Look if you run concentration camps for children then you can probably be pretty good at identifying human rights violations by virtue of the rule 'takes one to know one.'

Also if literally everything you've done in Latin America has been a massive violation of human rights.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah it's funny fnox is asking if people have studied venezuelan history or whatever, but really american history is more relevant here. Fnox, you need to listen to actual americans and stop erasing our experiences (of wrecking other countries).

Fast Luck posted:

Calling for an invasion because of seeing people eat out of the trash is funny because in the US I can walk down the street of the national capital over to its architectural jewel train station and at any given time there will be about 20 homeless people camping out on the pavement out front. Meanwhile literally just a couple miles away

https://twitter.com/washingtonian/status/988410412092751872

not about venezuela, user loses posting privileges etc etc

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Jun 21, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
pointing out the internal dissonance of ideology, externalities and relative standards of living is derailing. Someone Must Do Something. no not lifting sanctions or allocating some of america's utterly embarrassing surplus of staple grains and legumes. something else. anything.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
we need american psychopaths to overthrow maduro, but if the american psychopaths do what they always do we'll just get rid of them no problem

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

pointing out the internal dissonance of ideology, externalities and relative standards of living is derailing. Someone Must Do Something. no not lifting sanctions or allocating some of america's utterly embarrassing surplus of staple grains and legumes. something else. anything.

Checked their post history after they claimed their purpose was to provide some perspective about what was going on in Venezuela. Found that it's 4 years and 25 pages of screeds that lead me to the conclusion that fnox is the Venezuelan Rush Limbaugh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fiend posted:

Checked their post history after they claimed their purpose was to provide some perspective about what was going on in Venezuela. Found that it's 4 years and 25 pages of screeds that lead me to the conclusion that fnox is the Venezuelan Rush Limbaugh.

wow look at you dismissing Rush’s valuable insight to his home country

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fiend posted:

Complete with "The good ones don't call themselves african-american they're just american americans"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
oh y eah well what's your plan?

no not the plan where instead of subsidizing farmers to destroy their crops or have fields lie fallow, american food and aid are instead routed through NGO's not specifically affiliated with the USA. another plan.

no not that plan where a coalition of nations coordinated through the UN create a global solution aid solution independent of american beneficence out of genuine humanitarian concern with no IMF strings attached. another plan.

no not the plan where venezuela is brought back into the westphalian fold and compelled into norms with positive incentives rather than cruel, capricious and cackhanded implementations of The Honduran Cure. another plan. any plan. any plan at all. i am not picky. what is your plan

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

it's weird how we only need "plans" for the countries with oil

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pryor on Fire posted:

it's weird how we only need "plans" for the countries with oil

Love your work, Richard.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

saw >160 posts itt and thought the US invaded but actually it was just some idiot from d&d

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

you know fnox, I don’t like your politics but I respect that you’re crazy enough to come take on cspam posters on their own turf.

a poster chooses, a lurker obeys

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Homeless Friend posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

Would you kindly...explain why Pinochet would be better than Maduro?”

Adbot