Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

euphronius posted:

Hello I’m building my first gaming pc in 7 years.

If I go

What monitor should I be buying to take advantage of it’s power ? My current monitor is from 2009.

That build is rather outdated as far as the CPU goes, you probably want Ryzen instead (wait for benchmarks to come out, July 7th).

For a 2070 though you probably want a 27" 2560x1440 144Hz IPS monitor with Freesync. The cheapest one is the Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2, which is $400. lovely stand though, but it's exceptionally good value (monitors with the same features used to cost literally twice as much like a year ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stickman posted:

CPU Cooler: The D15 is a good cooler, but you'll need to check the compatibility page to make sure it doesn't block the first PCIe port on your motherboard. The D15s is an asymmetric variant with better PCIe and RAM compatibility.

Memory: With a heavily multi-core CPU, the extra bandwidth from 3600MHz RAM could help. We don't know compatibility yet, so keep an eye out.

Storage: Stay away from 970 Evos - they've been superceded by the Evo Plus and even that is massively overpriced for the performance. If you don't want to step up to the 970 Evo Pro for the added durability, I'd consider the HP ex920 which outperforms the 970 EVO but is currently priced at $105, the $150 Adata sx8200 Pro which outperforms the EVO or Plus, or if you want some extra space, the $300 2TB ex950.

Case: If you're going to get the R6, you might want the "USB-C" version, which adds a USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C port to the front panel. I'd also consider the Meshify S2, which is the R6 chassis minus the (removable) hard drive stack and with a mesh front for better airflow.

This is currently true for After Effects (though a bit hyperbolic), but I'd keep an eye on Puget System's performance review after the Zen 2 release. I wouldn't be surprised if Zen 2 makes up some ground.

It's currently a 20-40% gap in performance for After Effects for Ryzen. After Effects loves high clock speeds, and even if there were IPC and clock speed gains on Zen 2 platforms, there's still the problem of Adobe giving a competitive edge to Intel by using Intel compilers, which makes the software run better on Intel platforms due to microcode optimizations only existent on Intel CPUs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheFluff posted:

That build is rather outdated as far as the CPU goes, you probably want Ryzen instead (wait for benchmarks to come out, July 7th).

For a 2070 though you probably want a 27" 2560x1440 144Hz IPS monitor with Freesync. The cheapest one is the Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2, which is $400. lovely stand though, but it's exceptionally good value (monitors with the same features used to cost literally twice as much like a year ago).

thank you.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

euphronius posted:

thank you.

Great deal on this Dell right now at Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-g-sync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess thats not "IPS with freesync"?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
does the freesync vs gsync make a big difference?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That's a TN panel with GSYNC, not IPS or Freesync.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

does the freesync vs gsync make a big difference?

Freesync GPUs (AMD stuff) is literally not compatible with GSYNC via hardware lockout (thanks Nvidia).

NVIDIA GPUs *may* work with most Freesync panels, to varying degrees of capability, the experience will not be uniform though.

GSYNC panels are more expensive because Nvidia charges a lofty premium for their module that goes into the monitor to talk to the GPU, and the manufacturers of the monitors pass that cost to the consumer.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 20, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

orange juche posted:

It's currently a 20-40% gap in performance for After Effects for Ryzen. After Effects loves high clock speeds, and even if there were IPC and clock speed gains on Zen 2 platforms, there's still the problem of Adobe giving a competitive edge to Intel by using Intel compilers, which makes the software run better on Intel platforms due to microcode optimizations only existent on Intel CPUs.
Intel's compiler is also the best compiler for AMD CPUs under many circumstances. Or was ~2 years ago.

Zen2 should close the after effects gap.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 20, 2019

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

euphronius posted:

I guess thats not "IPS with freesync"?

No, but you had posted an Nvidia card for your potential build so I recommended it since it has GSync. Sorry, I didn’t see you ask for any specifics when you originally posted the question about what monitor to pair with the build. But I have the monitor I recommended and it is great, and a steal at that price point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you man I figured it out. I’m learning the new lingo.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

orange juche posted:

The premium pro stuff for adobe products is still Intel. Regardless of anything else about Ryzen, Intel is still absolute king poo poo when it comes to Adobe products. You will pay a large premium, but the advantage in favor of Intel due to optimizations in how the software is compiled by Adobe is substantial. Ryzen with Adobe stuff is like fighting with both hands tied behind your back.

I am absolutely a fan of Ryzen CPUs and they are a serious cost advantage on Intel stuff, but Adobe and Intel are very in bed with each other.

Thank you. I should have caught it already, but I was getting myself stoked for Ryzen 3 so that's a bit of a bummer. I'll wait for benchmarks and decide then, but looks like I might get a 9900K instead.

Stickman posted:

CPU Cooler: The D15 is a good cooler, but you'll need to check the compatibility page to make sure it doesn't block the first PCIe port on your motherboard. The D15s is an asymmetric variant with better PCIe and RAM compatibility.

Memory: With a heavily multi-core CPU, the extra bandwidth from 3600MHz RAM could help. We don't know compatibility yet, so keep an eye out.

Storage: Stay away from 970 Evos - they've been superceded by the Evo Plus and even that is massively overpriced for the performance. If you don't want to step up to the 970 Evo Pro for the added durability, I'd consider the HP ex920 which outperforms the 970 EVO but is currently priced at $105, the $150 Adata sx8200 Pro which outperforms the EVO or Plus, or if you want some extra space, the $300 2TB ex950.

Case: If you're going to get the R6, you might want the "USB-C" version, which adds a USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C port to the front panel. I'd also consider the Meshify S2, which is the R6 chassis minus the (removable) hard drive stack and with a mesh front for better airflow.

This is currently true for After Effects (though a bit hyperbolic), but I'd keep an eye on Puget System's performance review after the Zen 2 release. I wouldn't be surprised if Zen 2 makes up some ground.

Thank you. I'm definitely going to look into the RAM, ssds and cooler. The R6 I've been looking at is USB-C.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

rear end cobra posted:

Thank you. I should have caught it already, but I was getting myself stoked for Ryzen 3 so that's a bit of a bummer. I'll wait for benchmarks and decide then, but looks like I might get a 9900K instead.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that this is true when comparing AMD and Intel CPUs with like numbers of cores. Which makes Intel just plain better right now, since when we're talking about desktop platforms it's max eight cores versus max eight cores, but once twelve- and sixteen-core Ryzens are available this may change dramatically. (I don't use any of these Abode products though so don't take my word for it.)

Edit: Actually, looking at benchmarks for After Effects specifically I think I'm wrong about this, but we'll see if anything changes in July, I guess.

Kairos fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 20, 2019

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm super impatient to get off this mbp for a project and went ahead and ordered a setup with the 9900K. Skimped a little on the motherboard with a MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON. I have 60 days to decide, so if the 3900X blows it away in adobe benchmarks I can do a return, but realistically I guess it will perform max about the same for that use? Got the D15s cooler instead of D15.

Super psyched to build my first PC.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

I built this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rKbzq4 a week or so ago and have had issues with it booting into windows, when it does boot into windows hwmonitor routinely has the clockspeed of the cpu at 500 mhz at 100% load. A restart usually fixes this, and going into the bios when it refuses to boot windows also usually fixes it. The motherboard has also routinely had this dumb vga light on when its booting it up. When its actually in windows and the cpu has a real actual clockspeed it works perfectly.

I've reseated everything already, tested ram individually and nothing seems to really be working. I don't know enough to do anything else to diagnose anything and am wondering if I am at the start rmaing poo poo part of the process. I feel like I should probably have already rma'd the board but wanted to ask you all first before I started sending poo poo back.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Hello thread, quick question about an upgrade I'm attempting.

I previously had a GTX 970 and I just bought a 1660 ti. The problem I have run into is that the 970 used 2 6-pin PCI-E power connectors and the 1660 uses 1 8-pin connector.

My PSU is a silverstone ST75F-P, which does support 8-pin PCI-E, but I don't have a cable for it. The only PCI-E cables that came with it are 2x6-pin even though that listing says it includes 2 8-pin cables as well.

I'm about to buy this guy on Amazon which I think should let me just plug in the 1660.

Does that look right? I haven't ever dealt with buying individual power supply cables before so I just wanted someone else to take a quick look and let me know if anything seems obviously wrong here.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Firstly, are you sure you don't have a 6+2 cable?

Secondly, the thread recommendation is to replace PSUs that are out of warranty, and yours appears to only have had a 3 year one new, so I'd consider looking into an EVGA supernova, Corsair RMx (2018), or Seasonic Focus Plus.

Thirdly, as best I can tell it should just work.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

I built this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rKbzq4 a week or so ago and have had issues with it booting into windows, when it does boot into windows hwmonitor routinely has the clockspeed of the cpu at 500 mhz at 100% load. A restart usually fixes this, and going into the bios when it refuses to boot windows also usually fixes it. The motherboard has also routinely had this dumb vga light on when its booting it up. When its actually in windows and the cpu has a real actual clockspeed it works perfectly.

I've reseated everything already, tested ram individually and nothing seems to really be working. I don't know enough to do anything else to diagnose anything and am wondering if I am at the start rmaing poo poo part of the process. I feel like I should probably have already rma'd the board but wanted to ask you all first before I started sending poo poo back.

I've never heard of this particular problem, but I'd also try clearing the CMOS just in case some bios power-saver mode got turned on somehow.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

Firstly, are you sure you don't have a 6+2 cable?

Yeah I definitely don't. I have a few other extra cables that came with the PSU and I've kept them all together, but no 6+2

quote:

Secondly, the thread recommendation is to replace PSUs that are out of warranty, and yours appears to only have had a 3 year one new, so I'd consider looking into an EVGA supernova, Corsair RMx (2018), or Seasonic Focus Plus.

Thanks, I will definitely check those out. This current one is ~5 years old now so I'll look into replacing it soonish. I'm probably gonna do a new PC build in about a year though, so I'd like to wait until then if possible.

Gonna give that cable a try, if I have any problem with it I'll just get a whole new power supply.

:tipshat:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rahu posted:

Yeah I definitely don't. I have a few other extra cables that came with the PSU and I've kept them all together, but no 6+2

Thanks, I will definitely check those out. This current one is ~5 years old now so I'll look into replacing it soonish. I'm probably gonna do a new PC build in about a year though, so I'd like to wait until then if possible.

Gonna give that cable a try, if I have any problem with it I'll just get a whole new power supply.

:tipshat:

Almost all of those recommended PSUs have 10(!)-year warranties (the 550/650W versions of the EVGA G2/G3 only have 7) and usually have good rotating deals. I wouldn't worry too much about waiting for a new build before replacing your PSU unless you think you might try to do a small-form-factor build that would need an sfx power supply.

Right now, the 650W Seasonic Focus Plus is $80 and the 750W G1+ is $85. If you keep an eye on deals, they'll often be a 550/650W model as low as $60 after rebate.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I didn't realize those had such long warranties. I assumed they would be just a few years.

In that case I'll probably go ahead and get a new one right away, thanks.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Is Corsair's HX series any good?

In NZ pricing they are slightly more expensive than the RMx and G2 series and the idea of a 80+ platinum for virtually the same price as an 80+ gold seems like a good deal.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Taitale posted:

In NZ pricing they are slightly more expensive than the RMx and G2 series and the idea of a 80+ platinum for virtually the same price as an 80+ gold seems like a good deal.

They seem to be good. Very similar to the RMx in terms of overall design, but higher efficiency. If the price is close enough (or if electricity costs enough where you live to make up for it) I'd go for it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Are there any recommended fan curve settings for a stock Ryzen 2600 & Geforce 1060? I have one intake and one outake fan on the case.

The PC is relatively quiet when doing normal tasks but the fans can really spin up quite loud when running games, just wondering how much lower speeds I can get away with or if one of the fans should be set to spin faster than the other.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Taitale posted:

I've got two HX PSUs and never had any issues, been running them for years.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Kairos posted:

They seem to be good. Very similar to the RMx in terms of overall design, but higher efficiency. If the price is close enough (or if electricity costs enough where you live to make up for it) I'd go for it.

Sheep posted:

I've got two HX PSUs and never had any issues, been running them for years.

Cool. Now back to waiting for Zen 2 benchmarks and release.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rahu posted:

Ah, I didn't realize those had such long warranties. I assumed they would be just a few years.

In that case I'll probably go ahead and get a new one right away, thanks.
I'll chime in with a suggestion that you spend the extra cash for a PSU that's modular.

Had my choice between a $45 oldstyle and a $55 modular and am regretting it now that I have to cablewrangle loving IDE and Floppy connectors that will never do anything.

I've gone ahead with the dumb summer build I was considering. Might do some photos later if the kids behave.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FilthyImp posted:

I'll chime in with a suggestion that you spend the extra cash for a PSU that's modular.

Had my choice between a $45 oldstyle and a $55 modular and am regretting it now that I have to cablewrangle loving IDE and Floppy connectors that will never do anything.

I've gone ahead with the dumb summer build I was considering. Might do some photos later if the kids behave.

Yeah, all the IDE/floppy connectors that plug in to hardware that your modern motherboard literally cannot support:
:sever:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

FilthyImp posted:

What year are we living in?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
for me, 2001, because I need to get a sound card. I have just discovered the onboard for a B450 tomahawk is asssssssss. Significantly worse than my last similar-price point motherboard from 2011, to the degree that I'm not okay with it.

but seeing as how i've literally not bought a soundcard in 18 years I have no idea what's good. the OP suggests an Asus Xonar DG as a budget option, which is probably all I need here. Is that still a good pick and how's the driver situation? I'm a little grumpy at Asus right now about those -- removing AI Suite after a motherboard died is a real pain in the rear end.

I've also read the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX is a decent, similarly priced alternative?

this is strictly for headphone use, I don't have/care about 5.1 or 7.1 setups.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 21, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I think I'm confused on the rules for transferring your windows 10 license over to a new rig. Googling this says that you can do this as long as its not an OEM copy and that Microsoft will let you transfer windows over ONCE.

I'm also assuming that if I'm going to keep my old ssd that I should be reformatting it and everything before putting it into a new build?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Psion posted:

for me, 2001, because I need to get a sound card. I have just discovered the onboard for a B450 tomahawk is asssssssss. Significantly worse than my last similar-price point motherboard from 2011, to the degree that I'm not okay with it.

but seeing as how i've literally not bought a soundcard in 18 years I have no idea what's good. the OP suggests an Asus Xonar DG as a budget option, which is probably all I need here. Is that still a good pick and how's the driver situation? I'm a little grumpy at Asus right now about those -- removing AI Suite after a motherboard died is a real pain in the rear end.

I've also read the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX is a decent, similarly priced alternative?

If all you want is headphones I would think about just getting a USB desktop headphone DAC/amp.

Maybe something like:

https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-111567-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KVVX2QW?sa-no-redirect=1

https://smile.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Optical-Coaxial-Amplifier/dp/B072JJT7SF/

https://smile.amazon.com/KGUSS-TPA6120-Optical-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07QTXPWVK/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just finished a pretty inexpensive build with an MSI B450M Gaming Plus and a 2600X. This proc runs hot as gently caress on stock, like 55C idle, 85C+ in a multithreaded game. Will a moderate aftermarket cooler like the Arctic Freezer 33/34 work to bring this back in line or should I be looking into something else? Planning on replacing it with the 3700X later this fall.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
you might want to try repasting and reseating that cooler, 55C idle doesn't sound right

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Psion posted:

Whoa, same exact situation. I noticed that the audio coming out of my B450 Tomahawk is on the quiet side. I actually HAVE a Xonar DG in a box somewhere, but I can't stand ASUS drivers and documentation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If all you want is headphones I would think about just getting a USB desktop headphone DAC/amp.
Might end up going this route too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What year are we living in?
The funny thing is that I'll actually need the dumb molex connectors for like an hour while I migrate poo poo off of my old drive.

And then that drive will go live with my HP from 2000. As a time capsule of The Year Two-Thousand

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Psion posted:

Sound cards are rear end. Just get a DAC/amp to plug your (assuming) good pair of regular headphones into.

I have had this one:

http://www.audinst.com/en/mx1

with a nice pair of sennheisers for years and years and love my gaming quality sound and music quality sound.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 21, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I originally got a Massdrop O2/ODAC combo unit and after a couple years years the DAC board died, it wasn't a cheap unit so I'm a little miffed about that. I looked on ebay and saw another one with the same issue so I'm thinking it's not an unheard-of problem.

I am driving it off my line out right now and it works OK just as a desktop amp, but in hindsight I'd probably have just gone with one of the cheap chinese amps. Even if you have to replace it once every couple years you're still coming out ahead... could have bought four of those chinese knockoffs for the price of my O2/ODAC.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Psion posted:

Double check that you have some option to turn on and provide power for your headphones. My senheisers I had been using for a long time started to sound like crap with the new motherboard i got until I found out there was an option to increase the power to adapt to the headphones impedance. I just realized this a few months ago with my mobo on board audio and now my old senheisers finally sound like they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Sound cards are rear end. Just get a DAC/amp to plug your (assuming) good pair of regular headphones into.

I have had this one:

http://www.audinst.com/en/mx1

with a nice pair of sennheisers for years and years and love my gaming quality sound and music quality sound.

I went cheaper and bought a Schiit stack (Magni/Modi Amp and DAC), cost me ~$250 after shipping and taxes, and they work great for over a year now.

https://www.schiit.com/

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 21, 2019