Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That works I think, but with also interleaving the pools so you don't put all the bad teams in 1 pool, so no Zebre and Kings in the same pool

Scotland A
Glasgow

Scotland B
Edinburgh

Ireland A
Munster
Connacht

Ireland B
Leinster
Ulster

Wales A
Ospreys
Dragons

Wales B
Blues
Scarlets

Italy A
Benetton

Italy B
Zebre

RSA A
Cheetahs

RSA B
Kings

Pool A
Scotland A
Ireland B
Wales A
Italy B
RSA A

Pool B
Scotland B
Ireland A
Wales B
Italy A
RSA B

And that is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
They explain it here :

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/06/17/conferences-confirmed-for-2019-20-2020-21-guinness-pro14-seasons/

It's kind of dumb, and they openly admit that the groups are unbalanced, in order to "make sure each union is correctly represented"

-

In brighter news, multi-millionaire Israel Folau is crowdfunding $3.0m, so that he doesn't have to pay for his own pointless legal battle against the nasty men who said he couldn't play Rugby anymore.

https://au.gofundme.com/Israel-folau-legal-action-fund

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Was he always such a bellend, or is this a comparatively recent development

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I read somewhere that his dad advised him to stay true to God or whatever and not apologise, as well as some suggestions that the church he belongs to is a good bit off the mainstream. If the guys been a fundie Christian this whole time its surprising it took this long to come to a head. Will he even resurface in AFL or is that him done as a professional athlete?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I read somewhere that his dad advised him to stay true to God or whatever and not apologise, as well as some suggestions that the church he belongs to is a good bit off the mainstream. If the guys been a fundie Christian this whole time its surprising it took this long to come to a head. Will he even resurface in AFL or is that him done as a professional athlete?

League already told him to gently caress off so AFL is really his only hope unless some dipshit in France takes a punt on him.

Tonga said they might want him to play for them though he'd need to play 7s for them before he can change his nationality, a bit like Time Nanai-Williams did.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Paddy "she was enjoying it" Jackson somehow has a contract for 2020, and I've seen Bees Roux play in The Pro 14 without anyone batting an eyelid.

I can see him playing in England or France, and being touted as a great comeback story :(

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Tyma posted:

Paddy "she was enjoying it" Jackson somehow has a contract for 2020, and I've seen Bees Roux play in The Pro 14 without anyone batting an eyelid.

I can see him playing in England or France, and being touted as a great comeback story :(

I feel like anti Aussie antipathy would nix him playing here, and London Irish lost their main sponsor over paddy Jackson.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

He's probably always been a oval office deep down but it's definitely surfaced hard since his family converted from Mormonism to some kind of super fundamental Pentecostal church. He said he was ready to apologise for the second tweet that got him into trouble but his Dad told him that he would be condemned to hell if he did. Now he's just chasing money and giving fundamental Christianity a terrible public face so I guess he's pretty good after all.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

He's always been a little bit out there (it's not exactly common that Australian athletes recognise god) but he's definitely ramped it up in the last 24 months or so. Conveniently, during the last 24 months Australia has seen a super divisive plebiscite on whether gay people are human beings or not. Also, the AFL is 100% not going to touch him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

tarbrush posted:

I feel like anti Aussie antipathy would nix him playing here, and London Irish lost their main sponsor over paddy Jackson.

I think he'd be seen as generally pretty toxic brand-wise to most rugby clubs in the UK. It's really not compatible with the more inclusive message that they've been pushing for of late.

A lower tier team might be willing to take the risk, but I doubt they could pay his desired salary.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Tyma posted:

In brighter news, multi-millionaire Israel Folau is crowdfunding $3.0m, so that he doesn't have to pay for his own pointless legal battle against the nasty men who said he couldn't play Rugby anymore.

https://au.gofundme.com/Israel-folau-legal-action-fund

The media have been pointing out this key disclaimer in the fine print:

quote:

In making this contribution I acknowledge that my contributions are made freely as a gift on the basis previously affirmed and that there will be no obligations on Israel Folau to do anything for me in recognition of the gift or to apply the funds in any particular way with respect to his legal action, and that I hold no expectation to receive anything in return for my contribution.

Totally not a scam guys lol.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Vaders Jester posted:

League already told him to gently caress off so AFL is really his only hope unless some dipshit in France takes a punt on him.

Tonga said they might want him to play for them though he'd need to play 7s for them before he can change his nationality, a bit like Time Nanai-Williams did.

Israel Folau was a terrible AFL player, and I cannot imagine a single club willing to pay him even half of what he would demand. Even in the lower leagues.

I don't know the details, but can't he play Rugby, or Rugby League at lower levels in Australia?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Israel Folau was a terrible AFL player, and I cannot imagine a single club willing to pay him even half of what he would demand. Even in the lower leagues.

I don't know the details, but can't he play Rugby, or Rugby League at lower levels in Australia?

He can, I suppose, but they're pretty much strictly amateur/semi-pro. I doubt he'd be cleared to play any professional competition explicitly sanctioned by the NRL or RA.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
In other shithead news, Chris Ashton has dropped out of the England training squad for personal reasons. I can only assume that he has done a racism or a Sex Thing and is being encouraged to spend time with his family.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

well his wife's pregnant think that qualifies as a 'sex thing'.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:lol: GoFundMe just binned Israel Folau's begging for cash because it broke their terms and conditions on campaigns. His lawyers are either very stupid or fully aware they're going to rinse him for everything he's worth by the time this is over.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

:lol: GoFundMe just binned Israel Folau's begging for cash because it broke their terms and conditions on campaigns. His lawyers are either very stupid or fully aware they're going to rinse him for everything he's worth by the time this is over.

I'll take option 2 for $500 Alex. He's already down $100,000 to them apparently

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently reading terms and conditions isn't his strong suit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

What were the terms and/or conditions he broke?

Was it the "Give me money to pay for my legal challenge, but also be aware that I will probably not use the money to pay for my legal challenge"? Or did he gently caress up in some other way?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

GoFundMe has a policy of not being a platform for discrimination, asking people to fund his personal fight against the LGBT community was against their T&Cs so they punted it.

quote:

"As a company, we are absolutely committed to the fight for equality for LGBTIQ+ people and fostering an environment of inclusivity," said spokeswoman Nicola Britton.

"While we welcome GoFundMe's engaging in diverse civil debate, we do not tolerate the promotion of discrimination or exclusion."

I think it also violated their conditions on specifying what the money was going to be spent on too.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

What were the terms and/or conditions he broke?

Was it the "Give me money to pay for my legal challenge, but also be aware that I will probably not use the money to pay for my legal challenge"? Or did he gently caress up in some other way?

Non-discrimination I believe.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Maria should dump that loser.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Maria should dump that loser.

She's into the same beliefs just as deep as he is, she's just a little smarter about what she puts out in public.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Here is a stupid take on Izzy "god loves me coz I am not a filthy homo" Folau.

Maybe he could try American football like Jarryd Hayne.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Here is a stupid take on Izzy "god loves me coz I am not a filthy homo" Folau.

Maybe he could try American football like Jarryd Hayne.

I really want to say that the NFL wouldn't take a fly on him, but since the owners have proved that they don't give a poo poo about domestic violence without a video, gun charges, or really any crime someone probably would. Now if he were to kneel during the anthem however that's a different matter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Any goons coming to Japan for the World Cup?

also in other Japanese news, a second player for Toyota's professional team has been pinged for blow in the course of a week:

https://twitter.com/FreemanrugbyJPN/status/1144182400810770432

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too pricey for me.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

harperdc posted:

Yeah I am going to watch Scotland vs. Ireland live, a match that I can watch every year for much cheaper and without travelling thousands of kms ... :*(

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
God, I wish. I am travelling to watch one match though: a friend is getting married in Madrid so I’ll be watching Wales v Australia in an Irish bar there!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

harperdc posted:

also in other Japanese news, a second player for Toyota's professional team has been pinged for blow in the course of a week:

https://twitter.com/FreemanrugbyJPN/status/1144182400810770432

That's not going to go well for their career there, so far as I can tell. The Japanese apparently crucify public figures who get embroiled in any variety of drug use scandal.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I live in Tokyo but didn’t get tickets for any games!

If any goons are coming over and wanna meet up or need tips or anything let me know.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

That's not going to go well for their career there, so far as I can tell. The Japanese apparently crucify public figures who get embroiled in any variety of drug use scandal.

Toyota pulled their team from the league over this (specifically the first player last week), so yes, Japan is reacting as expected.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Do we make our effort posted about our beloved adopted countries here or will we be making a RWC thread?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Do we make our effort posted about our beloved adopted countries here or will we be making a RWC thread?

Make them here when final squads get announced? :)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

loving Whitelock.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Welsh and Scots are joining up!

Top Welsh Premiership sides to face Scottish Super 6 clubs

quote:

The top six teams in the Welsh Premiership last year – Merthyr, Cardiff, Pontypridd, Llandovery, Ebbw Vale and Aberavon – will compete against Scotland’s Super 6 sides next season, in the cross-border element of this new tier in the Scottish club game.

The competition will be split into two pools of six, containing three teams from each country. During the first season, which will be shorter due to the World Cup, each team will play against the the three cross-border teams in their pool on a home and away basis from mid-April through to the start of June. The winner of the competition will be decided on a league ranking based on number of points gained over the six matches. In subsequent years, it is anticipated that the pools will feed into a play-off format finale.

“Scottish Rugby and the Welsh Rugby Union will now work together to finalise competition rules, commercial rights and confirm the broadcast opportunities,” said the statement issued by the SRU. “The cross-border competition will also provide a development opportunity for match officials and both Unions have committed to providing an appropriate level of refereeing appointments for the matches.”

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

... Are there even 6 premiership-quality clubs in Scotland?

Hawick
Watsonians
Melrose
?
?
?

Are they just going to Regionalize everything into :

Warriors B
Edinburgh B
Stirling
Hawick / Melrose
Ayr
... Haddington?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
AYR, BOROUGHMUIR, HERIOT'S, MELROSE, STIRLING COUNTY AND WATSONIANS

According to the header of that article

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

goatface posted:

AYR, BOROUGHMUIR, HERIOT'S, MELROSE, STIRLING COUNTY AND WATSONIANS

According to the header of that article

Oh, wow. So, it's teams full of retired Welsh professionals vs teams of Scottish schoolchildren?

(3 of those clubs are literally Edniburgh college teams.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, they're the super 6 teams. Could be good, it's a pity that RGC couldn't get in there would have liked to have seen them go up against the Scots.