Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AceClown posted:

That Sorin isn't terrible TBH

I was just about to say that last ability is kind of rad and very flavorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the Sorin is pretty bad and the best one is the Ajani because the -3 is actually decent but also they're all pretty bad because they're still intro deck walkers

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

have some intro deck walkers

These are a step up from old intro deck walkers. Still not very playable though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sephara might be REALLY GOOD with that Jeskai legend that makes flying spirit tokens, holy poo poo. Tap 4 dudes and 1 white source and leave all your mana open for counters/bounce/burn/etc. Also makes your spirits indestructible AND you can sac them for red mana to fuel a big Explosion

Its also a really good reanimation target

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's Depose//Deploy's time to shine

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kurieg posted:

If i'm reading this correctly this can basically be "return a creature you control to your hand, return a creature from your graveyard to the battlefield."

Singular Nightmare

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you have an Eternal Witness in play it's Raise Dead with buyback.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1142100102485430272?s=21

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

A Moose posted:

Sephara might be REALLY GOOD with that Jeskai legend that makes flying spirit tokens, holy poo poo. Tap 4 dudes and 1 white source and leave all your mana open for counters/bounce/burn/etc. Also makes your spirits indestructible AND you can sac them for red mana to fuel a big Explosion

Its also a really good reanimation target

I'm tempted to jank it into modern BW tokens

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tainen posted:

Also all the Kahns tap lands are in along with Evolving wilds. They all have a chance of showing up in the basic land slot.

Now thats the fixing I wanted to see. Wilds is a nice bonus.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bugsy posted:

Now thats the fixing I wanted to see. Wilds is a nice bonus.

BBD curses it getting even harder to justify playing Orzhov Guild gate.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Again, im disappointed that wotc won't downshift the painlands to common.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I could see this making waves in mono black control in pauper

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Given they really seem to be seeding for Devotion I bet Vampire Nocturnus was considered but there was no space after Sorin and the cycle elemental, short of shifting it to rare.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't think i've ever seen a pro as visibly tilted as Martin Juza getting killed by a topdeck Nissa after not leaving a blocker back on 3 life

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hey, my podcast interviews Riley Knight this week. It's great.

https://thedivedown.fireside.fm/27

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ShaneB posted:

When Dive Down rotates, will you call it The Lazotep Plating or hope there's another hexproof spell?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

When Dive Down rotates, will you call it The Lazotep Plating or hope there's another hexproof spell?

Well, we are a modern focused podcast, so we never have to!

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
God MC3 is pretty dumb. Pyros, dramatic lighting, player intro announcer... and no audience. It's so awkward when during the player intros all you here are three producers clapping with an audible echo in the room.

Also, ban Esper. All of it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ShaneB posted:

I like listening to your podcast even though I will very likely never play Modern (I only play on Arena)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ShaneB posted:

Surprised Riley is so strong on banning Hogaak, though I think he is right that a more active ban/unban system would work well at the top level I don't think it's worth the disruption to the average player. How bad has Hogaak been in modern leagues lately? How often have people been encountering it?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MisterZimbu posted:

God MC3 is pretty dumb. Pyros, dramatic lighting, player intro announcer... and no audience. It's so awkward when during the player intros all you here are three producers clapping with an audible echo in the room.

Also, ban Esper. All of it.

i just watched a match and it was an esper mirror where game one was decided by whoever could draw the most of their 5-10 maindeck cards that still function under an opposing teferi/narset, game two was decided by one player flooding out, and game three was decided by that player again flooding out while missing their colors despite running 24 dual lands

sensational stuff all around

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

neaden posted:

Surprised Riley is so strong on banning Hogaak, though I think he is right that a more active ban/unban system would work well at the top level I don't think it's worth the disruption to the average player. How bad has Hogaak been in modern leagues lately? How often have people been encountering it?

its been at least 1 of my opponents in every league, and sometimes as high as 3 of them. its everywhere

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

paging Hellsau

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tainen posted:

Someone give Seb a day or two off please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBKJGQiHRJM

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

the teferis were mistakes. i dont know which was more of a mistake but both are bad.

i think smolferi is the worse offender of the two by a slight margin since it changes a fundamental part of the game on one of the hardest permanent types to interact with and also 2 mana cheaper with an easier mana requirement than a creature, the easiest permanent to interact with, had.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Planeswalkers with static abilities are the problem.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

the teferis were mistakes. i dont know which was more of a mistake but both are bad.

i think smolferi is the worse offender of the two by a slight margin since it changes a fundamental part of the game on one of the hardest permanent types to interact with and also 2 mana cheaper with an easier mana requirement than a creature, the easiest permanent to interact with, had.

i'd argue enchantments are way harder to interact with than planeswalkers. Honestly enchantment artifacts are really good design in that they allow you to push the power of a permanent and still leave numerous safety valves for answering it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

i'd argue enchantments are way harder to interact with than planeswalkers. Honestly enchantment artifacts are really good design in that they allow you to push the power of a permanent and still leave numerous safety valves for answering it.

fortunately for lovers of esper mirrors, they thought of that and gave small teferi the -3 ability, ensuring that even creatures can't profitably interact with it

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Shadow225 posted:

5 mana teferi is fine.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You can leave the teferi's alone so long as arena installs some kind of system where I can kick my opponent in the groin if they're running a deck where large tef is literally their only win condition save annoyance.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So this isn't the same as "you may cast legendary cards from your graveyard", right? Just cards that are in your graveyard at the time that you activate it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

This seems cool and maybe playable somewhere? 3/4 for 3 isnt a bad body, and it works with planeswalkers.

resistentialism posted:

So this isn't the same as "you may cast legendary cards from your graveyard", right? Just cards that are in your graveyard at the time that you activate it.

Correct, it can't save itself.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
it does let you play legendary lands from your yard, too.

I think the thing that I truly can't stand about the mythic invitational is the unbelievably long periods of downtime. it's like 33% actual games vs 66% people blathering on!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Don't they usually do 'exile all FOO from your graveyard, until end of turn you may play/cast those cards, return all unplayed cards to your graveyard at end of turn'?

I guess it lets him activate it multiple times per turn, if that matters. It might.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

resistentialism posted:

Don't they usually do 'exile all FOO from your graveyard, until end of turn you may play/cast those cards, return all unplayed cards to your graveyard at end of turn'?

I guess it lets him activate it multiple times per turn, if that matters. It might.

It lets him exile more of your GY in response to an effect like Command the Dreadhorde, funnily enough.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I like listening to your podcast even though I will very likely never play Modern (I only play on Arena)

Same

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Is the flavour of this that he's literally rewriting history and combining loads of dead people into a single legend, then going "And this random guy I've found's totally Daakon Blackblade who did all those great deeds" when you return a card from the graveyard? That's really cool if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

I think the thing that I truly can't stand about the mythic invitational is the unbelievably long periods of downtime. it's like 33% actual games vs 66% people blathering on!

There's also something very uncanny valley about this commentators voice, it's a mix of Hoogland, Shatner and one of those really over produced youtube videos.