Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Then after your charging session you can get your wheels replaced due to the flat spots you made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dusk and Amid Evil are both real cool but they mostly make me want to play Painkiller again

e: jeepers do I want to install GameSpy Arcade along with Painkiller Black Edition y/n

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 21, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hwurmp posted:

what's the correct pronunciation for "wasd"

I actually flip the 'd' and the 's' to pronounce/spell it "wads." I don't think it's ever been commented on.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
amid evil and dusk both look great and i love atmospheric Lovecraftian stuff. on sale TOGETHER

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

catlord posted:

I actually flip the 'd' and the 's' to pronounce/spell it "wads." I don't think it's ever been commented on.

long a or short a

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I learned FPS from the original Quake TF mod. I had Mouse 2 - A - S - D for movement, Mouse 1 for fire, Q and W for prime grenades 1 and 2, E to throw grenades, c for detonate pipes, v for detpack, and backspace for tossing a backpack.

Once I started playing other FPS games I switch to true WASD, but that wasn’t until 98 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9aCNbQNNw

I loving loved Quake Team Fortress

TFC was good times but was too grenade spam heavy, Unreal Fortress always felt kinda off in the guns or something, TF2 was cool but changed a lot of how the game was played.

Quake Team Fortress was the poo poo. The OG was the best. I miss maps like well and the rock

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9aCNbQNNw

I loving loved Quake Team Fortress

TFC was good times but was too grenade spam heavy, Unreal Fortress always felt kinda off in the guns or something, TF2 was cool but changed a lot of how the game was played.

Quake Team Fortress was the poo poo. The OG was the best. I miss maps like well and the rock

Yeah, it surprises me that the original doesn't get as much love; I assume it's because there was much more of an audience for the Half-Life version. I don't miss having to manually gently caress around with Quakeworld and the mod files and the keybindings.

I also just remembered the keybindings I used when I first switched to mouse and keyboard. When using keyboard only I had A and Z bound to look up and down. So I slightly modified that and ended up with A Z Ctrl Alt. Which works fine, although it doesn't have as many keys readily accessible. I suppose that's a reason to use ESDF or even RDFG, but it just feels weird to me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

long a or short a

As in "wads of cash" or "Doom WADs."

So, the guy who did the Doom Slayer Chronicles mod made a Blood campaign called 'The Cult.' Has anyone else tried it? From what I've played so far it seems... kinda rear end. If you try it, look out for that little bush in a corner that has collision despite none of the other bushes with the same sprite having it. I keep getting caught on it and nearly dying.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There's people making a little prototype project with similar style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJncRWqorg&t=37s

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm late on a lot of subjects, so here's a few compressed hottakes:

MDK2 is good, actually*. This includes the Doc Hawkins levels, which reminded me a lot of point-and-click moon-logic inventory puzzles that I was weirdly here for. That said, it benefited a lot from having easy access to a quicksave button; I don't think I'd have finished this thing on Dreamcast (not least of the reasons being the Turok-style A/B/X/Y and analog movement, which I still have some trouble wrapping my head around despite playing all of Goldeneye this way).

Doom definitely felt like a horror game my first time through Episode 1. It's all action now, sure, but that learning period where I was still getting a feel for how hard enemies hit, how hard I hit, how many hits of any given weapon it'd take to fell any given demon, the layouts of the traps in each stage, and so on was a very tense experience. The blue key maze in E1M4 still feels strangely tense for me, even though I've dealt with the demons lying in wait there thousands of times over and have no issue taking them down now; it's purely association with paranoia from the first playthrough.

I'm also really excited for the PrBoom+ revival that seems to be underway, and kinda wish more people on Doomworld were talking about what it actually does and not coming up with pithy names for the thing ("ProBoom" seems to be getting a lot of support but somebody noted that that's actually a trademarked name, and I don't think it'd end well to go with it were it to come to that). I suppose that's because there's no content for it, but I've made a 10(+3)-level example WAD, I just haven't shown it off to anyone besides myself at this point and my good ol' neuroses make me hesitant to :justpost:.

(*But the first is absolutely better, like, c'mon now)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I played quadruple digit hours of TF2 with the arrow keys, as well as most if not all games before that with them as well.

At the very least, having easy access to the numpad for Spy disguise binds and the Insert, Home, etc. keys for specific voice callouts was handy.

I've long since switched over to WASD, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Flannelette posted:

There's people making a little prototype project with similar style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJncRWqorg&t=37s

Who knows when this indie game will come out but I'd play that demo map for days as it is right now :stare:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always said "double-ewe aye ess dee" and I've always thought people who said "waz-duh" were odd.
This, but the consoles are definitely "Nez" and "Snez."

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've always called WSAD "uve doble-ese-a-de" :spain: and done the same in english, spelling all letters.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
WASD is pronounced “jiff”. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I pronounce it ESDF

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Mierenneuker posted:

So is there a way to make Blood II somewhat better, other than going in 8-year old mode and using weapon cheats nonstop? And does difficulty have an influence on the amount of enemies?

Go back and play Blood instead using Death Wish for the more modern level design

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I pronounce it like “wasp” but with a D. In my head anyway. I don’t say this stuff outloud to folks as I have no friends.

Edit: I forgot, but I interchange the above pronunciation with something that sounds like "waz dee".

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 21, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Songbearer posted:

Go back and play Blood instead using Death Wish for the more modern level design

I’m going to play Death Wish when it gets an update later this year! For now I want to get some mileage out of this game I bought years ago and never bothered with.

It’s the same with Shogo. And since that is the same engine, the necessary fixes will work for both. So it won’t a completely wasted effort... I hope.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some more little tidbits from the last week or so:
  • Copper is a "vanilla +" mod for Quake that polishes and tightens up the existing gameplay, fixing bugs and gripes like dying monsters blocking shots. There's also some new mapping functionality, shown off with an optional demo episode called Underdark Overbright. So, you know, worth a play!
  • Vulkan Inc. is an episode from a couple of years ago spruced up and refurbished with some Metroidvania-y upgrading and some bits and pieces of Brutal Doom completely rewritten to be less bumpy under the hood. It works well together!
  • Kinda-sorta-related to this thread: CS:GO is running a goofy little event to celebrate 20 years of Counter-Strike (and your continued advanced age) by having casual Dust2 matches alternate between the modern and CS 1.6 versions with every round. Which is kinda cute!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Arrow keys + the flight joystick we used for TIE Fighter. For every game. For whatever reason I was stubbornly convinced everyone else was doing it wrong.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I prefer TFC to TF2 but mostly due to the nostalgia of remembering exploiting the models clipping through the walls because I was playing it in software.

Playing sniper on Well with that fire button held down just waiting to see an arm jutting out of the wall, then ........ POP

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i had no idea people said it like a word i always spelled it out like zaphod.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Maximum Action needs more time in the oven but man is it fun as gently caress

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The guns feel SO GOOD to use. Chunky sound effects, and every single one down to the dinky silenced pistol feels super powerful. Can't wait for this to get more polish.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's the same kind of "you're basically John Wick" feeling as Superhot but cranked up to 11

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm surprised it doesn't have a John Wick level yet but I'm sure it will by the time 1.0 comes out.

They need to work on making the melee disarm work more reliably, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Some more little tidbits from the last week or so:
  • Copper is a "vanilla +" mod for Quake that polishes and tightens up the existing gameplay, fixing bugs and gripes like dying monsters blocking shots. There's also some new mapping functionality, shown off with an optional demo episode called Underdark Overbright. So, you know, worth a play!
  • Vulkan Inc. is an episode from a couple of years ago spruced up and refurbished with some Metroidvania-y upgrading and some bits and pieces of Brutal Doom completely rewritten to be less bumpy under the hood. It works well together!
  • Kinda-sorta-related to this thread: CS:GO is running a goofy little event to celebrate 20 years of Counter-Strike (and your continued advanced age) by having casual Dust2 matches alternate between the modern and CS 1.6 versions with every round. Which is kinda cute!

Thanks for reminding me that :arghfist::(

Does that Copper mod for quake tweak weapon damage too?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's going to be an official John Wick game soon so maybe they aren't open to licensing into other people's games.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Does that Copper mod for quake tweak weapon damage too?

Only a few, it looks like.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

joedevola posted:

I prefer TFC to TF2 but mostly due to the nostalgia of remembering exploiting the models clipping through the walls because I was playing it in software.

Playing sniper on Well with that fire button held down just waiting to see an arm jutting out of the wall, then ........ POP

please dont expose my pro sniping secrets, circa 2000-2001

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does Copper make nightmare actually fun? I tired it once and it was really loving dull because it's just faster and tougher enemies and you with buckets of ammo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

haveblue posted:

There's going to be an official John Wick game soon so maybe they aren't open to licensing into other people's games.

Given the MA levels aren't using any licensed material and are just homaging various action sequences, I don't think that matters. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It isn't an FPS but you should check out My Friend Pedro, it's the same thing but a side scroller with gun kata and a talking banana.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

To Amid Evil's credit, the controls and movement feel very good, super responsive and a super tight air control. Platforming is a breeze with them.
Arcane Expanse is being the high point of the game, great visuals, very cool theme and vibe, more enemy variety than usual (I think I counted 7 types of enemies and other episodes only have 4?) and more importantly, they are fun to fight.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I will say about Amid Evil that appearance-wise I loved The Void, and enjoyed the end of that episode a lot. I generally did not like the enemies though, I found all of them annoying to fight in the cramped and awkward stages, at least until I realized that the axe usually ends up being the best way to just mow through them even if you take some damage.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm going to take the risk of sounding stupid here, but Amid Evil: adjusting mouse sensitivity confused me for a minute, until I realised there was a ticked box for locking it to your aspect ratio.

Is... is that a thing? People do that? Should I be looking back in horror and shame at my pathetic past self, who didn't have separate mouse sensitivity by axis?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still prefer dusk over it, but amid evil is definitely an incredibly solid game that gets how retro stuff used to play back in the day

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks nice. I was expecting some kind of tweak to the shotgun and super shotgun too but the nailgun not being clearly worse than the super nailgun (calling it perforator is kinda weird for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Glagha posted:

I will say about Amid Evil that appearance-wise I loved The Void, and enjoyed the end of that episode a lot. I generally did not like the enemies though, I found all of them annoying to fight in the cramped and awkward stages, at least until I realized that the axe usually ends up being the best way to just mow through them even if you take some damage.

Yeah same, they have just enough HP to pretty much always plow into you and hurt you anyway.

Also if you're "cornered" you can just jump off the level.

The Void was great, Amid Evil is great, cool game all around imo.