Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My wedding was $700.

Pro tip:

When "wedding" is in front of "cake" price multiplies by x25.

When "sheet" is in front of "cake" from a good bakery divide by half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds very sensible. But it's your ~*~most important day~*~

You need to spend beyond your means, otherwise your life is ruined.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
ours was a couple thousand british pounds because we got married in a nice unitarian chapel and used a local community hall thing for our reception. if you buy a ton of booze and know your guests aren't big drinkers you'll be set for drinks for a while. thats my wedding tip: buy alcohol you'll just drink later

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Pro tip:

When "wedding" is in front of "[insert anything here]" price multiplies by x25.

though I've heard some photographers will get salty if they get booked for a party and show up to a wedding reception so pick your battles maybe

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

ours was a couple thousand british pounds because we got married in a nice unitarian chapel and used a local community hall thing for our reception. if you buy a ton of booze and know your guests aren't big drinkers you'll be set for drinks for a while. thats my wedding tip: buy alcohol you'll just drink later

Byob is a great option! We bought a bottle of campaign per table for a toast and byob. Everyone was more than happy to bring stuff. Or a bottle of something real good as a gift!

Everyone knows you poor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

though I've heard some photographers will get salty if they get booked for a party and show up to a wedding reception so pick your battles maybe

wedding stuff is usually a lot more demanding of the photographer so you are basically buying different “products” if you will

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Don't get married.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the baker and if they dont do anything besides deliver food, the caterer charging extra makes zero sense. but a photographer like, does stuff at a wedding so it makes sense. my grandfather takes about 100x the photos at a wedding versus like, someone dipshit rich kids sweet 16

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

marriage is a patriarchal institution

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Also wedding photographers have to produce specific shots (of the couple, the bridal party, etc), usually have to stage said shots, etc. It's basically the only service that is significantly different for a wedding than any other kind of big celebration, unlike catering, baking, venue, etc.

But don't get married it's a lovely heteropatriarchal tradition. e:fb

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's why I specifically said a reception so as to not include the ceremony and the in between time where all those shots take place.

:smugdon:

I agree with don't get married but aside from that the lowest cost way is to just get some disposable cameras and leave em on tables n poo poo and collect them at the end and develop at Costco or something.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

marriage is a patriarchal institution

Tell that to my wife!

*bowtie spins*

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bike tory posted:

Don't get married.

We bought a house instead and got criticized and questioned about it.

"Why are you buying a house when you're not even married? Why not get married first? How do you even know you're going to stay together? That's not what I would do. Why isn't he marrying you? He doesn't love you if he won't marry you. I wouldn't buy a house with someone who is afraid of commitment."

That was 14 years ago and we're still in the same house and still not actually married. Clearly we made a huge mistake and did things bad and dumb.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Who books a photographer only for the reception?

E: I don't want to get all "yeah we didn't get married like you normies :smugbert: " because really do what the gently caress you want and also, celebrating your love for someone is a great reason to gather friends and fam together for a party and pretty much the best/only reason to do that after your 21st birthday. Otherwise it's basically only funerals.

But yeah theres a lot of bullshit involved

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Jun 21, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

I wouldn't buy a house with someone who is afraid of commitment."

Arguably putting your names on real estate / title with a fat loan as joint tenants in common is a much bigger commitment than simply getting married.

Like poo poo you can get married and divorced all in one weekend in Vegas probably.

bike tory posted:

Who books a photographer only for the reception?

People trying to save money :s

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
My brother married in Vegas. He's now divorced. Checks out.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cosigning out of wedlock is a sin

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bike tory posted:

Don't get married.

how else is one supposed to have sex??

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

"Why are you buying a house when you're not even married? Why not get married first? How do you even know you're going to stay together? That's not what I would do. Why isn't he marrying you? He doesn't love you if he won't marry you. I wouldn't buy a house with someone who is afraid of commitment."

That was 14 years ago and we're still in the same house and still not actually married. Clearly we made a huge mistake and did things bad and dumb.

Sounds like you're effectively married, though?

At the very least you should probably go down to the courthouse and get the certificate for tax reasons.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is marriage being heteronormative and patriarchal one of those things I dont understand because I dont have a religious background lol. it's a big party with your friends and family and then the IRS let's you combine your tax forms. not sure what's patriarchal or hetero about that, unless you make it those things for some reason

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Does the US not acknowledge de facto relationships?

Larry Parrish posted:

is marriage being heteronormative and patriarchal one of those things I dont understand because I dont have a religious background lol. it's a big party with your friends and family and then the IRS let's you combine your tax forms. not sure what's patriarchal or hetero about that, unless you make it those things for some reason

A typical wedding still involves all the symbolism from the days when a marriage was still a legal transfer of property (the bride) from one man to another. And those days aren't in the too-distant past.

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Jun 21, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Don't feel pressured to date or be in a relationship, let alone put out a contract in a capitalist mode of property (read: women) management with you and your close lover(s), romantic partner(s), and/or best friend(s) delete where appropriate. If you want a big party with your friends and chill family just do that. You don't need some big reason.

You're a dipshit if you pay for anything more than a wedding registration for insurance and/or legal purposes. Don't let the state control your fuckin', lovin', or cuddlin'.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

depends on the state. if they do its referred to as a common law marriage usually

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Was that from the realtor or something? Would that have caused them to do more work during the closing?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

Who changes their last name? If neither, ready to explain that to every other chucklefuck that gets confused about it?

bike tory posted:

State by state but most don't.

e:

Larry Parrish posted:

Also the entire reason that there is a tax break is because at some point someone decided it was in the state's interest to promote couples as the basis of a stable family unit so that you can procreate and properly populate the homeland and make workers/soldiers/etc. and in that sense it can be seen as hetero-normative imo, even if same-sex couples get the same tax breaks now. It wasn't just intended to be a tax simplification, it was intended to be a govt subsidy on people getting married and having kids.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Jun 21, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Who changes their last name? If neither, ready to explain that to every other chucklefuck that gets confused about it?

This isn't that uncommon though, does it really come up a lot?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

This isn't that uncommon though, does it really come up a lot?

people get death threats if he takes her name

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No idea, you'd have to ask someone who has done it I expect. In general I feel like we usually don't think things are very common until it is happening to you but yeah maybe not a big deal.

I feel like a lot of bro dudes or boomer types would give you poo poo for being a cuck or something if your wife doesn't take your name though :shrug:

e:

Tashilicious posted:

people get death threats if he takes her name

welp there you go lol

ee: Obviously if you are married then great enjoy your marriage I'm not trying to poo poo on people's relationships.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Neither of us changed names and I can't speak for my wife but I've definitely never had to explain it??

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

As with many things to do with gender, women tend to get the greater amount of explicit abuse.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dont take tax breaks or work benefits or medical proxy benefits or tons more to own the patriarchy.

(Theres a reason why people have fought for the right to do it legally recognized for so long)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Dont take tax breaks or work benefits or medical proxy benefits or tons more to own the patriarchy.

(Theres a reason why people have fought for the right to do it legally recognized for so long)

Cool, why does everyone have to get married? Someone asked why some people view it as patriarchal and not their bag and the question was answered.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnoHito posted:

At the very least you should probably go down to the courthouse and get the certificate for tax reasons.

lol what tax reasons

if you're on income base repayment for student loans then i hope you like getting buttfucked by your loan provider the following year

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh yeah I've been seeing this poo poo everywhere and keep forgetting to post it. Gemini is from the infamous Winklevoss twins of Facebook fame, lmao

https://twitter.com/BookofNick/status/1080980996953202689

this poo poo is insane

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
If only we can find a way to monetize money...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Alucard posted:

If only we can find a way to monetize money...

That's a bad thing said God. In the old testament

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

That's a bad thing said God. In the old testament

"God is dead. Drink Coca-Cola."

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AnoHito posted:

In Canada we're declared as common-law spouses and are entitled to all the same legal poo poo already. Here it's mostly just a symbolic and/or religious gesture at this point. Which isn't a bad thing, I'm fully supportive of anyone who wants to get married and I love when they do, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't something that felt necessary to us.

hobbesmaster posted:

Was that from the realtor or something? Would that have caused them to do more work during the closing?

Nope, friends and coworkers. The majority were congratulatory and not weird about it, but it was more than a handful acting shocked that we weren't doing things 'normally'.

We achieved common-law status long before purchasing, we had no issues with the realtor and she treated us like a regular married couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I feel like a realtor isn't gonna discourage people trying to buy a house haha