Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think big countries just tend to be fundamentally defective unless they have a very intricate sort of government of a specific kind. Big countries tend towards grand nationalism more than small ones, like France of course does way more than any of the countries next to it except Germany in the past, and nationalism tends to be used to paper over social problems. One of the reasons France has miserable banlieus, and the UK similarly has unsightly neighborhoods full of trash everywhere, is that they're very much top-down societies with a small, arrogant elite in the capital drowning out all other voices. Citizens of big countries also tend to be more ignorant of the outside world and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic the Hedge
Jan 29, 2014
I drain 90% of the water out of my cheap, lovely ramen and put the seasoning packet in afterwards, only leaving enough water for the powder to dissolve. It makes the flavor more intense, and I love the stickiness of the noodles. It's the little things when you're rear end-deep in poverty!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That bit gave me jastiger flashbacks

we should never forget that "man", if only so that we know not to repeat his mistakes, like advocating for the mass slaughter of the entire southern states for no reason, or creeping on other posters.

Anyway, gently caress britain as a whole. At least Sweden gave us Vinesauce Joel.

Sonic the Hedge posted:

I drain 90% of the water out of my cheap, lovely ramen and put the seasoning packet in afterwards, only leaving enough water for the powder to dissolve. It makes the flavor more intense, and I love the stickiness of the noodles. It's the little things when you're rear end-deep in poverty!

a man of good taste.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sonic the Hedge posted:

Can you afford eggs? Egg in Ramen is amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will stan microwave ramen. It’s delicious enough for being 1.50 for a twelve pack, it’s not terrible, and you can make it decent if you add some poo poo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sonic the Hedge posted:

It was literally a couple of years after my discovery of instant ramen before I discovered that most people don't do this.

I haven't had one in probably over ten years, but I've still got a soft spot in my heart for the little styrofoam "Instant Lunch" with its janky little peas and carrots and etc. There was something really comforting about waiting for the hot water to work its magic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You guys are all morons. You need all that water in there so you can crack an egg and swirl it in. It's like ramen egg drop soup, it's delicious and healthier.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

You guys are all morons.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I will stan microwave ramen. It’s delicious enough for being 1.50 for a twelve pack, it’s not terrible, and you can make it decent if you add some poo poo

I've actually had multiple people give me poo poo for talking about all the good stuff you can make with those little noodle packages on the dirt rear end cheap until I made them some.

Bag of vegetables, a bit of oil, some soy sauce, and some noodles. Good dinner, decent sized, costs like $1.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
No one has had ramen until they make it with crushed nacho doritos, some beef sticks, hot sauce, and pickle juice. All boiled up in the Doritos bag in the hot water kettle on the floor of your tank in county lock up.

No really, you haven't had Peak Ramen until you've had spread.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I never really liked ramen, no matter what you put in it. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't do much for me. I actually prefer plain white rice with nothing but salt for my "i'm low on money and/or depressed and need to eat something" go-to food. If you're feeling fancy you can add some butter to it. Or pepper.

Sonic the Hedge
Jan 29, 2014
Egg in ramen is the only instance I'll eat it with more than the bare minimum of water. But in that case, I go ahead and add any vegetables I might have on hand, like bok choy or green onions. I'll add a bit of Maggi sauce too. This is a decent way to get nutrition out of your noodles.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

fizzymercy posted:

No one has had ramen until they make it with crushed nacho doritos, some beef sticks, hot sauce, and pickle juice. All boiled up in the Doritos bag in the hot water kettle on the floor of your tank in county lock up.

No really, you haven't had Peak Ramen until you've had spread.

People all talking about how they end up doing this at home. Thinking about setting up food carts.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure spread only tastes good when you're half starved and remarkably bored. But godDAMN does it taste good when you need it. As a street food I can only see it working outside of the shittiest nightclubs. I'd buy it after too much booze, for sure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's basically just the prison version of a walking taco.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Make ramen stock yourself by boiling pork bones for 5 hours like I did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You don’t make the noodles yourself? :smug:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm so off grid I just eat dirt.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Realtalk I like getting the decent quality ramen from the asian market and throwing kimchi, fish balls, egg and scallion and chili oil in there.

Good as gently caress but I only eat ramen once in a while, because the sodium content is so off the charts crazy, I'm scared I'm gonna die after eating it. One pack of ramen is 85% of your daily sodium intake before you even add anything.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My PHUO: I hate the word scallion and much prefer "spring onion"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

*in an extremely American voice* Scallops

They're Coquilles St. Jacques.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scallions and spring onions are the same plant but they aren't exactly the same thing. Scallions are harvested earlier and do not have a bulb like spring onions do.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like calling my dog a "wrapped scallion" as a pun on rapscallion and thus prefer scallion solely on that basis :c00lbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

Scallions and spring onions are the same plant but they aren't exactly the same thing. Scallions are harvested earlier and do not have a bulb like spring onions do.

That depends on where you live.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I like calling my dog a "wrapped scallion" as a pun on rapscallion and thus prefer scallion solely on that basis :c00lbert:

We oughta have a "post and explain your pets' convoluted-rear end nicknames" thread. I just adopted a new cat about a month and a half ago, and in choosing her name, tried for something relatively short and with vowel sounds distinct from the other cat's name, and yet I'm already spinning that into rococo multi-syllabic nonsense, because I am a cat owner and of course.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

what i've always wondered is what a shallot is

are they the same thing too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Naw this is a shallot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I worked at Chinese restaurants scallions were the bottom, thicker parts of the onion stems chopped small and green onions were the top more leafy tube part, chopped long. Shallots are an entirely different thing^^^that thing but good.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

christmas boots posted:

Naw this is a shallot

That's a red onion not a shallot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

that was my initial thought but previously when a recipe asked for shallots I was buying the scallion/green onion version so what do i know

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Shallots are tiny, like the size of a head of garlic

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

what i've always wondered is what a shallot is

are they the same thing too

Depends what country you're in. Spring onions/scallions/shallots are one of those things that has about six different names in different English-speaking countries. And in some of those countries the different names refer to different things or different parts of the same thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is what I think of with a shallot and afiak every grocery store in America would agree.

But tbf it appears he got that from the shallot wikipedia page and it's the first thing that comes up when you google shallot. But yeah that just looks like a red onion to me too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

the only time i've ever even heard of a shallot was in shows with gordon ramsay in it and they always looked really small like a green onion. :shrug:

also he pronounces it wrong

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Onions rule. They are like the cheese of vegetables. Super diverse and all delicious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

the only time i've ever even heard of a shallot was in shows with gordon ramsay in it and they always looked really small like a green onion. :shrug:

also he pronounces it wrong

You are confusing shallot with scallion.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

You are confusing shallot with scallion.

he definitely says shallot, llike "sha-lot" instead of "shallits", the correct way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He might be using the stalks then? I dunno I have never seen a shallot with the stalk for sale but it looks sort of like a green onion stalk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallot#/media/File:Shallot_whole_plant.jpg

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

He might be using the stalks then? I dunno I have never seen a shallot with the stalk for sale but it looks sort of like a green onion stalk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallot#/media/File:Shallot_whole_plant.jpg

Usually I only see him dumping them already cut up in to the pot so I don't know, but they look tiny like when you cut up a scallion. Not like those oval mini-onions wikipedia says is a shallot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Onions rule. They are like the cheese of vegetables. Super diverse and all delicious.

Do this and report back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ