Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Blaziken386 posted:

"Listen up Roto-A! Here's where I give you advice you didn't ask for!" :suicide:

*Rotom makes a stupid ahegao face*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

it sucks that I probably won't be able to bring my beautiful shiny Kartana or any of the Tapus to swish :(
Whether or not the fanbase embraces this shorthand, I'm going to start using it because it's easy to type out on a phone and sounds like the console

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Hey. hey wait. Why isn't there an opossum pokemon?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

YOURFRIEND posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the official shorthand is Swoshi

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

To honor Pokemon's creator Swoshi Tajiri.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

the official shorthand is 🗡️🛡️

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

Galvantula ate them all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

oddium posted:

the official shorthand is Swoshi

I'm sorry I can only read that as Swole Yoshi the evolved form of Yoshi.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think Ash is taking his loss to Paul too seriously, since Paul was using his all-star team and Ash was using his Sinnoh team. Ash would totally have won if he'd brought Charizard, Sceptile, and Kingler.

Given the number of episodes remaining and the lack of Pokemon and places from the games that haven't appeared yet, I assume the rest of Diamond and Pearl will focus mainly on Team Galactic and on Contests. I'm especially interested in whether Jessie will make it to the Grand Festival, and whether Ash will get enough exposure to Dialga-related weirdness to provide an explanation for the "Ash is still 10" retcon I know is coming.

I also wonder if Cyrus's motivations will be changed a bit from the games. I noticed that Maxie's and Archie's motivations were left somewhat vaguer than they were in the games (perhaps because even the anime writers realized their motivations were silly). Cyrus in the anime seems like a guy who has strong emotions and doesn't feel ashamed of it, rather than someone who wants to rid the world of emotion; it seems like what he wants is more to return the world to the state just after it was created, when there was no conflict.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 21, 2019

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I am not buying the new Pokemon until I have Defeated the Battle Tower, Battle Subway, whatever bullshit X/Y had if any, and the Battle Tree, all with the same team. This is a good idea because it will save me from ever having to buy a Switch, holy poo poo how am I so bad at a game I have sunk probably a literal thousand hours into.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Diet Poison posted:

I am not buying the new Pokemon until I have Defeated the Battle Tower, Battle Subway, whatever bullshit X/Y had if any, and the Battle Tree, all with the same team. This is a good idea because it will save me from ever having to buy a Switch, holy poo poo how am I so bad at a game I have sunk probably a literal thousand hours into.
why would you limit yourself to gen 4 pokemon, gen 4 breeding, and gen 4 TM mechanics. At the VERY LEAST start with gen 5, so you can use good poo poo like flying-gem acrobatics archeops

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blaziken386 posted:

why would you limit yourself to gen 4 pokemon, gen 4 breeding, and gen 4 TM mechanics. At the VERY LEAST start with gen 5, so you can use good poo poo like flying-gem acrobatics archeops

I mean the only reason I'm not starting with goddamn gen three is cause I don't own a gen 3 game/system.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

I mean the only reason I'm not starting with goddamn gen three is cause I don't own a gen 3 game/system.
ah, I understand, it's masochism that drives you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I put Meowth in my party so I could evolve my boy Pancham. I figured I'd evolve Meowth at the same time, knock out another slot on the Pokedex. But it turns out Meowth needs high friendship to evolve. How do you grind friendship?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I put Meowth in my party so I could evolve my boy Pancham. I figured I'd evolve Meowth at the same time, knock out another slot on the Pokedex. But it turns out Meowth needs high friendship to evolve. How do you grind friendship?

Keep him in your party, don't let him faint. I forgot if there are masseuses in gen 7.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

There's a city, forgot the name but in the lower left of the second island where there are two important friendship npcs in the outdoor market. One gives massages to your first pokemon in order once a day that gives a big boost and the other can tell you how good your friendship is.

Soothe Bell doubles friendship gains if you have it. There are a series of berries that increase friendship but lower EV stats, you probably have some. And lastly generally healing your pokemon and not letting them faint slowly raises friendship.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
have you tried listening to his problems

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Friendship Cafe in the Festival Plaza sell three levels of Friendship boosting meals as well, the Combo being the best.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is the affection shown in the post-battle aftercare menu different from friendship?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Another anime stock plot: the criminal duo that pride themselves on being more competent than Jessie and James but are really just the same kind of idiots (Butch and Cassidy, Mary and Ken, Azure and Crimson).

Interestingly, criminals who work alone or as leaders of their own organizations are allowed to be competent; it’s just the ones who work in pairs who are idiots.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 22, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Is the affection shown in the post-battle aftercare menu different from friendship?

Let’s Go merges affection and friendship, but in prior games they’re distinct.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Silver2195 posted:

But as far as I can recall, only partner Pikachu and partner Eevee have this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Silver2195 posted:

poo poo, I've been feeding him jellybeans for nothing

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TIL that Alolan Meowth evolves off of friendship.

I figured they evolved like normal Meowths.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The Team Skull Squat is amazing

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are all the Alolan gen 1 Pokemon in Let’s Go?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are all the Alolan gen 1 Pokemon in Let’s Go?

Yes, but you have to trade for 'em.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes, but you have to trade for 'em.

In-game trades, to be clear.

https://www.serebii.net/letsgopikachueevee/trade.shtml

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 22, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

You can also transfer them from Pokemon Go if you caught and hatched them there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Oh gods, I forgot HM's were a thing. I was hoping they'd be gotten rid of before Sun. Uh, what is the best HM slave so I don't have to waste a move slot on trash on my actual good pokemon. (I'm assuming Fly and Surf would be okay for Talonflame and Greninja to know.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eimi posted:

Oh gods, I forgot HM's were a thing. I was hoping they'd be gotten rid of before Sun. Uh, what is the best HM slave so I don't have to waste a move slot on trash on my actual good pokemon. (I'm assuming Fly and Surf would be okay for Talonflame and Greninja to know.)

Good ol' Bibarel can learn Surf, Waterfall, Strength, Cut, and Rock Smash.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RatHat posted:

Good ol' Bibarel can learn Surf, Waterfall, Strength, Cut, and Rock Smash.

Well at least the beaver is cute. A shame because like I was already having difficulty figuring out a team with a full 6 slots. Current plan is Greninja, Talonflame, Venusaur, Gardevoir, and then a toss up between Ursaring, Tyrantrum, Salamnce, and Mienshoo. Making that last slot even tougher! :argh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I dunno how X/Y is with HMs but usually Waterfall and Strength are rarely used so you don't need to always have them in your party.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

I dunno how X/Y is with HMs but usually Waterfall and Strength are rarely used so you don't need to always have them in your party.
Recently playing through Black 2 I just... didn't bring any HM pokemon with me. If I saw a thing that needed an HM I looked up what the reward was online and said "gently caress it" if it was just a calcium or something. I only ended up going for TMs, and then only TMs I actually cared about, which were very few. There were a couple places I needed strength and one obnoxious section that needed a lot of Surf, but it was really liberating to just ignore all that extra poo poo.

Just don't give a poo poo about extra hidden stuff, and unbox something for the two or three times an HM is actually necessary.

Unfortunately, even with that attitude, Fly is pretty necessary so I still had to build my team around needing a flyer.

HMs are the absolute worst and I'm so, so glad they're dead. It feels almost as good as the decision to make TMs reusable.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Eiba posted:

Recently playing through Black 2 I just... didn't bring any HM pokemon with me. If I saw a thing that needed an HM I looked up what the reward was online and said "gently caress it" if it was just a calcium or something. I only ended up going for TMs, and then only TMs I actually cared about, which were very few. There were a couple places I needed strength and one obnoxious section that needed a lot of Surf, but it was really liberating to just ignore all that extra poo poo.

Just don't give a poo poo about extra hidden stuff, and unbox something for the two or three times an HM is actually necessary.

Unfortunately, even with that attitude, Fly is pretty necessary so I still had to build my team around needing a flyer.

HMs are the absolute worst and I'm so, so glad they're dead. It feels almost as good as the decision to make TMs reusable.

Good thing Black 2 has our good friend the flying golem :3:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Spatula City posted:

Good thing Black 2 has our good friend the flying golem :3:

Golett and Golurk are insanely powerful designs

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Golett is series mascot worthy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'll just go with Bibarel for a HM butler, and using Tyrantrum as my final open slot, since with who I wanna use that's the most coverage. Also I just learned that Greninja in 6 is attack based not special attack like in 7. :negative: Luckily I got a reset bag relatively quick...but all that clicking I did...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The worst part about HMs is the fact that for the more obnoxious regions (hi, gens 1-4), you may as well not even make a 6-member party. Even with the decent HMs like surf/waterfall/strength(debateable) that you don't mind having, needing things like flash and cut is an insult.

The second worst part is when you have a flying type that arbitrarily can't learn fly, for whatever reason

Gamefreak Employees posted:

"oh, yeah, it doesn't make sense for your archeops to be able to carry the player, he's far too light"
"what about this zubat"
"that's fine, go right ahead"