Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

Jessica occasionally finds puke in her shoes. Blames Trish every time.

Reminds me of She-Woman-Cat-Type-Thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWyACsGdLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Isn't Hellcat a supernatural character in the comics? Or at least has some kind of Force like connection to the supernatural?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

LeafyOrb posted:

I feel like each one of these seasons has a moment of unintentional hilarity that kind of defines the season itself.

I about died laughing when Jessica is going over all of Salinger’s wrestling awards and degrees and describes him as athletic and aggressive then he comes in and he’s this doughy skinny-fat motherfucker.

Like could we have gotten someone who at least looked like they wrestled at some point in their life.

This is the point: he's an absolute loser, she later reveals that one of the awards was "Most Improved" which is typically given to a player who was especially poor but tenacious. And whenever he physically confronts Jessic, aside from the first time where he gets the drop on her, he gets his poo poo tossed.

He blames others for "cheating" either through superpowers or "natural good looks and physique" which, uh... Not sure Mindwave can claim those to "cheating" levels.

He's a worm as much as the ones he keeps who lies to himself in order to keep a narrative that he's the one true way, and it's incredibly satisfying watching him get owned the moment he pops up on someone's radar.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

notthegoatseguy posted:

Isn't Hellcat a supernatural character in the comics? Or at least has some kind of Force like connection to the supernatural?

Hellcat's backstory is a bit of a mess. As far as I recall, she started as a fan-girl for superheroes, so that checks out in the TV series too. Eventually she got hold of some super suit. Later on, she was trained by some alien in psychic combat, then later on, I think she died, and came back with supernatural powers.

Also, she's She-Hulks best friend, since they're messed up in kinda similar ways.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 20, 2019

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

LeafyOrb posted:

I about died laughing when Jessica is going over all of Salinger’s wrestling awards and degrees and describes him as athletic and aggressive then he comes in and he’s this doughy skinny-fat motherfucker.

Hey now, I wrestled for 10 years and I was good. I was also Doughy. Look at Rulon Gardener (Olympic Champion) Actual wrestlers do not always look like Professional wrestlers. Some of them are built like Greek Gods. Not all of them.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Comfortador posted:

Hey now, I wrestled for 10 years and I was good. I was also Doughy. Look at Rulon Gardener (Olympic Champion) Actual wrestlers do not always look like Professional wrestlers. Some of them are built like Greek Gods. Not all of them.

See current UFC Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier a Olympic level wrestler.

https://youtu.be/M0CfNA12aFw

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lol at living in the Marvel Universe and not looking like the Punisher.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Didn't she fall on her rear end a bunch during parkour though? That should have been a great opportunity to see her fail miserably while showing us exactly how her kitty powers help her cope.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Inspector 34 posted:

Didn't she fall on her rear end a bunch during parkour though? That should have been a great opportunity to see her fail miserably while showing us exactly how her kitty powers help her cope.

I guess, the kitty powers also needed some sense of training, until she got used to it. When she messed around with her phone in order to recreate this first instance of her power, it didn't quite work again.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Moriatti posted:

This is the point: he's an absolute loser, she later reveals that one of the awards was "Most Improved" which is typically given to a player who was especially poor but tenacious. And whenever he physically confronts Jessic, aside from the first time where he gets the drop on her, he gets his poo poo tossed.

He blames others for "cheating" either through superpowers or "natural good looks and physique" which, uh... Not sure Mindwave can claim those to "cheating" levels.

He's a worm as much as the ones he keeps who lies to himself in order to keep a narrative that he's the one true way, and it's incredibly satisfying watching him get owned the moment he pops up on someone's radar.

So I get that’s what they were going for but the part that breaks it for me is that he has a history of physically overpowering people who aren’t Jessica. Like it would’ve made more sense if he went around tranquilizing people.

I also feel like his relationship with his father is under explored considering how important it seems to the story that they are trying to tell.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The stabbing JJ and running away was weirdly out of character too, every other other victim was kidnapped and taken to his photo lab.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Woden posted:

The stabbing JJ and running away was weirdly out of character too, every other other victim was kidnapped and taken to his photo lab.

He was trying to stab the black mailer, if I remember correctly. And he ran away after Jessica shoved him halfway down the hallway. So I think he just got scared, having not expected to encounter a super-woman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hellcat's backstory is a bit of a mess. As far as I recall, she started as a fan-girl for superheroes, so that checks out in the TV series too. Eventually she got hold of some super suit. Later on, she was trained by some alien in psychic combat, then later on, I think she died, and came back with supernatural powers.
It's even more weird, the only Marvel properties older than Patsy are like Captain America and Namor. The first Patsy Walker comic came out in 1944.

I thought there was some pacing weirdness to the season, but on the whole I liked season 3, and I really will miss the characters and the actors who played them. The writing didn't always support them, but there was some amazing work being done in these shows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If she's willing to go on the air and accuse the guy of being a serial killer why doesn't she just show the media the video that's very clearly narrated by him where he makes weird threats.

Mind game villains are only interesting if they're outsmarting the hero, not when the hero and the entire rest of the cast is out-dumbing them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Like I said in the other thread, they should have made Typhoid Mary the villain of this season.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

When Hellcat died in the comics she was in like a hell fight club and started mind controlling people, eventually she ends up fighting loving Dormammu.

In Jessica Jones she runs two steps up a wall.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Phenotype posted:

That means very little to most people, though. I'm a bit of a comics nerd but I'd never heard of her before the name popped up in the thread, and I still haven't bothered to google her to see if she's got the proportional strength and speed of a cat or if she's just heavy into the theme like Batman.

She also can't stop killing, just like a real cat.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Oh man, Season 3 wasn't good. I don't know if it was bad but it wasn't good.

I hate how characters come onto the show and talk about the arcs we all hate (Diamondback, Jess' Mom) and act as if we saw some great, amazing storyline. I hate how we're constantly told about The Raft but don't see it. I really hated the ending. I hated how almost all of the characters ended up except Jerry. I felt overall, she had the best character arc from 1 to 3.

So long, Netflix-MCU-ish-verse. I don't know if I'll miss you, or ever really watch every season since I quit on Punisher Season 2 like two episodes in.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Lurdiak posted:

If she's willing to go on the air and accuse the guy of being a serial killer why doesn't she just show the media the video that's very clearly narrated by him where he makes weird threats.

Mind game villains are only interesting if they're outsmarting the hero, not when the hero and the entire rest of the cast is out-dumbing them.

To be fair, I think the point was that he wasn't actually good at it.
He kept saying that he's really smart, and basically clearly explaining his precaution measures (so no mystery there about his cameras) and then apparently he could be easily followed, his apartment was casually/regularly broken into (shutting off the cameras he'd already mentioned), and Jessica fooled him into going into his corpse tank by throwing a severed hand through his window...

He wasn't actually a very smart person. He was deranged.
And the distraction for the "reveal" of the actual villain.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Fast forwarded through every Hogarth scene without Jessica. Markedly improved imo.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Well that was a very garbage season of television that I forced myself to watch due to pointless internal commitments I made years ago.

I liked Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter though. They should've given him an axe.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

The interviewer barely let her put a photo up, there isn't really a way for her to have played a whole clip.

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

AbstractNapper posted:

He kept saying that he's really smart, and basically clearly explaining his precaution measures (so no mystery there about his cameras) and then apparently he could be easily followed, his apartment was casually/regularly broken into (shutting off the cameras he'd already mentioned), and Jessica fooled him into going into his corpse tank by throwing a severed hand through his window...

I guess it really does sound a lot like Buffy season six!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Comfortador posted:

I get the point you're trying to make but Rulon only won on technicality points and the guy he beat had a perfect record for 16 years and looked like he was carved out of marble in a russian labratory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g21jEuHZvs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Ok but that doesn't make Jessica seem like less of a boob for failing to stop him for most of the season.

Like I feel like I could've stopped this guy and I'm an idiot with no powers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All hyperintelligent villains in TV and cinema are godawful. The writers aren't diabolical geniuses which means the villains are pretty average and everyone around them has to get a lobotomy for it to be believable

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I get the point you're trying to make but Rulon only won on technicality points and the guy he beat had a perfect record for 16 years and looked like he was carved out of marble in a russian labratory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g21jEuHZvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4qh3P92VQ

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Azhais posted:

All hyperintelligent villains in TV and cinema are godawful. The writers aren't diabolical geniuses which means the villains are pretty average and everyone around them has to get a lobotomy for it to be believable

I've always felt like you can simulate supergenius villains in TV and cinema if you take the time to do it right. Even if none of the writers are supergeniuses themselves, they have the benefit of weeks and months to plan out what the evil villain figures out in a few moments. Sherlock does this to some degree, when Sherlock will figure out someone's life by noticing a handful of tiny things about their person that took the writers a bunch of Googling to come up with.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, but this guy's not a hyper intelligent serial killer. He's an incel who hates "superheroes" for not acknowledging him and "clearly superior" brain.

The real villain's Trish. The season's pretty clear about this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but this guy's not a hyper intelligent serial killer. He's an incel who hates "superheroes" for not acknowledging him and "clearly superior" brain.

Then it shouldn't have taken 9 episodes to defeat him. Jessica isn't a super-genius but she's not supposed to be a giant loving moron, and her experiences with Killgrave should've been more than enough for her to deal with a guy who's biggest superpower is having a lawyer.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall I think Jessica Jones has been the weakest of the Marvel shows on Netflix. Season one was good, but Jessica has had no character growth since then, and has stayed a boring annoying grump.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Then it shouldn't have taken 9 episodes to defeat him. Jessica isn't a super-genius but she's not supposed to be a giant loving moron, and her experiences with Killgrave should've been more than enough for her to deal with a guy who's biggest superpower is having a lawyer.

As soon as she finds him she beats him up, he tricks her once with the camera ploy, but she quickly figures out that gambit.

The only reason it takes so long is because they're trying to wield the NYPD against Hogarth who took him on as a high profile case.

Foolkilller himself had almost no actual agency in thwarting Jessica, it was Trish and Hogarth (the actual villains) loving things up.

Jess finds him and finds incriminating evidence to put him away within like 2 days, it's only Trish's gently caress up (which he didn't plan, but got lucky on) that allowed him to avoid incarceration.

He wasn't a mastermind villain, he's a loving goon who was able to get the jump on some people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Moriatti posted:

As soon as she finds him she beats him up, he tricks her once with the camera ploy, but she quickly figures out that gambit.

The only reason it takes so long is because they're trying to wield the NYPD against Hogarth who took him on as a high profile case.

Foolkilller himself had almost no actual agency in thwarting Jessica, it was Trish and Hogarth (the actual villains) loving things up.

Jess finds him and finds incriminating evidence to put him away within like 2 days, it's only Trish's gently caress up (which he didn't plan, but got lucky on) that allowed him to avoid incarceration.

He wasn't a mastermind villain, he's a loving goon who was able to get the jump on some people.

And I'm telling you that's a lovely story to tell that wasn't entertaining to watch.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Got halfway through, noticed that things were looking up for our heroines, stopped immediately and read ending spoilers.

Yeah, no thanks. Legion pulled that "actually YOU'RE the bad guy!!" poo poo and it sucked there too, it's a crutch for hacks and really overused recently.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Foolkiller was a methodical, reasonably educated man who planned and took people by surprise to kill them and takes advantage of opportunities like Jeri Hogarth and powered hate. There's a whole scene about him doing his research on her background and that of her employee. Hes not a supergenius, but he's not a dim bulb either.

He's up against chaotic, unstable protagonists who destroy *their own* evidence against all loving common sense because they are leaking emotions all over the place. Once JJ realises that T is making her own choices, and starts using her brain to plan against him, she gets results.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

Foolkiller was a methodical, reasonably educated man who planned and took people by surprise to kill them and takes advantage of opportunities like Jeri Hogarth and powered hate. There's a whole scene about him doing his research on her background and that of her employee. Hes not a supergenius, but he's not a dim bulb either.

He's up against chaotic, unstable protagonists who destroy *their own* evidence against all loving common sense because they are leaking emotions all over the place. Once JJ realises that T is making her own choices, and starts using her brain to plan against him, she gets results.

Why do people keep restating the events of the story like it's gonna make it good if it "makes sense".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lurdiak posted:

Why do people keep restating the events of the story like it's gonna make it good if it "makes sense".

It’s all our sanity has to hold on to

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

And I'm telling you that's a lovely story to tell that wasn't entertaining to watch.

You can't have it both ways with a villain of this archetype. He can be either a well-written(!!!) mastermind, or an incompetent and pathetic, but lucky, dunce. Doing both at the same time stretches belief and he only really only loses at the end because someone finally decided to just try to kill him which is in itself just a repeat of the themes of season 1. He's a poorly written side-character villain in a story that has thematically already been told.

So yeah it was really lovely story to tell.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Does anyone want to hear my ideas? No? Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gaunab posted:

Does anyone want to hear my ideas? No? Ok.

:justpost: