Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I can't stand going to the edge of a criminal jury when the Defense is going all in on a defense that rests on lunacy which requires: the jury to make 14 logical leaps, is much more complicated than what actually happened, and won't actually be based on any evidence or testimony, only assertions through questioning.

It reeks of lovely client control and is just bad faith. And it always seems to be drunk driving cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Conduct unbecoming (133) is the catchall for officers, right?

Not exactly, since Art 134 applies to officers as well. More like an extra, extra loose 134 because officers are supposed to be held to a higher standard. Do you think Art 134 is overly vague because a prosecutor's imagination in dreaming up novel Art 134 charges is restrained only by the requirement that the conduct be prejudicial to good order and discipline, or of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces? Well, Art. 133 is even more vague because it removes Art. 134's vague limitations and substitutes the even more vague requirement that the action or inaction "fall below the level of conduct expected of officers and seriously expose [the officer] to public opprobrium."

Note regarding novel 134 charges: They are very rare. This is not something that happens with any regularity.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can't stand going to the edge of a criminal jury when the Defense is going all in on a defense that rests on lunacy which requires: the jury to make 14 logical leaps, is much more complicated than what actually happened, and won't actually be based on any evidence or testimony, only assertions through questioning.

It reeks of lovely client control and is just bad faith. And it always seems to be drunk driving cases.

The decision to drink after drive is just 1 step and it's in the name!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Orientation for MSF program was today. Talked to people that said they were interested in law school before the finance program. Told them about entry level salaries. They all felt much better about their choices.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can't stand going to the edge of a criminal jury trial when the Defense is going all in on a defense that rests on lunacy which requires: the jury to make 14 logical leaps, is much more complicated than what actually happened, and won't actually be based on any evidence or testimony, only assertions through questioning.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

My friend failed the CA bar twice despite going to a law school that isn't just CA qualified. Anything I can say to him that'll make him feel better but also acknowledge that he's a dumbo given that he should have passed?

The CA bar tells you how close you got to passing if you failed. If he's been close either or both attempts he should be fine. It's the second most difficult bar in the country so it's not really terribly shameful to fail, in the grand scheme of things.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah one of my best friends who graduated summa from a UC then went to Stanford Law failed. He’s now a partner at a top V100 firm.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Why you should proof read your filings
https://twitter.com/crepeau/status/1142101537638035458

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Hey, if you know you're going to get read by thousands of lawyers and journalists, you might as well put your dancin' shoes on.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

joat mon posted:

Not exactly, since Art 134 applies to officers as well. More like an extra, extra loose 134 because officers are supposed to be held to a higher standard. Do you think Art 134 is overly vague because a prosecutor's imagination in dreaming up novel Art 134 charges is restrained only by the requirement that the conduct be prejudicial to good order and discipline, or of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces? Well, Art. 133 is even more vague because it removes Art. 134's vague limitations and substitutes the even more vague requirement that the action or inaction "fall below the level of conduct expected of officers and seriously expose [the officer] to public opprobrium."

Note regarding novel 134 charges: They are very rare. This is not something that happens with any regularity.

Still, the fact that a concept as fundemental as vagueness just doesn't apply when it comes to military law takes some getting used to. Is there any theoretical basis for it beyond "Militaries have always had this power and they have to have it to be effective?"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Anals lol

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Konstantin posted:

Still, the fact that a concept as fundemental as vagueness just doesn't apply when it comes to military law takes some getting used to. Is there any theoretical basis for it beyond "Militaries have always had this power and they have to have it to be effective?"

I would imagine that the rule of law and due process come second to combat readiness/discipline within the armed services. I don't have a problem with it until there is a draft again.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bring back corporal punishment and decimation, I say

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Konstantin posted:

“Good order and discipline”

Also lol at anals from the judge.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Konstantin posted:

Still, the fact that a concept as fundamental as vagueness just doesn't apply when it comes to military law takes some getting used to. Is there any theoretical basis for it beyond "Militaries have always had this power and they have to have it to be effective?"

"they have to have it to be effective" is the original basis. For centuries, it was a discipline system, not a judicial system or even a criminal justice system. In the 20th century the three started getting really mixed up. After WWII, there were a crapload of people who had experienced it at its stupidest, seen it at its stupidest, and people who knew and cared about their military friends and family heard about how stupid it was. By 1949 Congress had created the Uniform Code of Military Justice which completely revamped the discipline system into a criminal justice system, with disciplinary characteristics. On the whole, I'd say the UCMJ functions better than most civilian criminal justice systems.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

On reflection the thing I hate most about working as a family law lawyer is when people cold call me asking for legal advice about child supportt or whatever. I always give them a little bit of information.

I'm too polite to just say, "I'm not telling you poo poo until you give me money."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

Oh hey, the last thing I worked on as a corporate lawyer just exploded in Philadelphia, so that's cool.

man you really cocked up that contract huh

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Monaghan posted:

On reflection the thing I hate most about working as a family law lawyer is when people cold call me asking for legal advice about child supportt or whatever. I always give them a little bit of information.

I'm too polite to just say, "I'm not telling you poo poo until you give me money."

Lol god whenever it's child support it's some loving deadbeat who doesn't want to pay. Every single time.

I always give it because referrals are important

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dad’s get so mistreated by the legal system though!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I told one of my friends that 99% of dads complaining that they’re treated lovely by the system is because they’re deadbeats. I have yet to come across a case that doesn’t support this proposition.

Of course she doesn’t believe me. I blame reddit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Oh hey, the last thing I worked on as a corporate lawyer just exploded in Philadelphia, so that's cool.

Leaving behind an ied is a bold move.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Half of my cases go loving sideways once my client pursues support. It's like clockwork.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

joat mon posted:

On the whole, I'd say the UCMJ functions better than most civilian criminal justice systems.

Paging AR for storytime.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

evilweasel posted:

k

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 15, 2021

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Dads don't fight for custody most of the time. When they do, it could go either way.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I've spent the last two weeks training a fresh faced new PD and today I watched him get an acquittal on his first ever trial. I'm so proud!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Sab0921 posted:

Good way to show up in industry news

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

evilweasel posted:

k

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 15, 2021

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Just want to say thanks to the OP for posting the Toona story. It convinced me not to pursue law school.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

spb posted:

Just want to say thanks to the OP for posting the Toona story. It convinced me not to pursue law school.

This comment made me go back and read the whole thing again and goddamn, it's so good. Toona my dude, I'm genuinely sorry about those rough turns, but at least your suffering has made some internet nerds laugh.

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 22, 2019

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

spb posted:

The Dagda posted:

This comment made me go back and read the whole thing and goddamn, it's so good. Toona my dude, I'm genuinely sorry about those rough turns, but at least your suffering has made some internet nerds laugh.
:tipshat:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

spb posted:

But you could be the one that actually makes it, though!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

spb posted:

The system Works.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Been thinking about this, and the post comes across as "you just wrote the contract or debt papers or bankruptcy filings or whatever, you didn't do any of the things that ended up with refinery exploding", but I have never been able to compartmentalize like that - I can't just hand wave away that I had a minor and inconsequential role in the events that led to the spewing of untold toxins into a poor neighborhood.

I dont think we should so easily dismiss the part we play in our modern capital system that directly leads to results like this. We can't say "well I helped destroy a neighborhood and one of the longest running industrial facilities in the world, but I'm gonna vote Bernie so it's all good."

They cant do this poo poo without us as willing participants, it's not just the contract, it's the context around it that matters.

Don’t go to law school because you’ll end up a part of the grinding capitalism system that doesn’t care about humans, the environment, or anything past the next profit quarter and will ultimately lead to the human extinction

Or

spb posted:

Don’t go to law school because your drinking problem will lead to you loving your study buddy and a divorce

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
For a couple months there the story sort of had a happy ending because he decided not to become a lawyer but here he is sitting for the bar. :shrug:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Meatbag Esq. posted:

For a couple months there the story sort of had a happy ending because he decided not to become a lawyer but here he is sitting for the bar. :shrug:

Law license is a nice bump in pay for me. No intention of practicing.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
More like laid up in a hospital bed and getting scheduled doses of morphine

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Toona the Cat posted:

Law license is a nice bump in pay for me. No intention of practicing.

:hfive: Can recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Like everything else though, you must assume what toona says will backfire.