Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Hackan Slash posted:

The Bravely games have the closest systems and I'm surprised they've never tried anything fiesta like with them.

A Bravely fiesta wouldn't really be fun without Berserkerrisk, and the closest job to Berserker is Pirate I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Second run, and I can't believe the AI's luck at the end of this one.

Check out the health score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC2QYLrwNA

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Second run, and I can't believe the AI's luck at the end of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC2QYLrwNA

what a hero

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

derra posted:

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

Omega was a simple !Calmlock and relying on Chicken Dance procs. Omega got a couple attacks in but otherwise no biggie. Shinryu was a bit rough but the Dragon Whisker I (eventually) stole from him helped, as did all the Meteors I threw in his face. NED was a matter of Quickleaking the Almagest part (after I released a Breath Wing on these jerks, of course), and whittling the other two down with Chicken Dance, Dragon Whisker, and Meteor spam.

Not a bad team! I'm actually warming up to Red Mage a bit, they're crap offensively but are solid utility, and Sleep in particular was handy for a few boss fights. I used maybe a couple monsters with Beastmaster, but otherwise they did their usual thing. Dancer was my main offensive weapon, waiting to shine in World 3 per usual. And of course, Time Mage carried this team, and it was satisfying one-shotting Rift bosses with Quintuple Meteor. A fragile team, but that surprisingly didn't matter too much.

Think I'll hold off on a second run for now as I've got a backlog of other stuff to catch up on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Any Tips & Tricks for defeating Omega with Blue Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon and Canoneer? I sold Trident like a dumb.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

agradine posted:

Pretty easy Triple Crown there, if you can make it

Shinryu I see, with Berserk and Image, but how do I keep Omega from ending me? I'm totally unfamiliar with bard, does it have something?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Any Tips & Tricks for defeating Omega with Blue Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon and Canoneer? I sold Trident like a dumb.

pretty sure you can always go back and buy another trident from jachol

A Real Horse posted:

Shinryu I see, with Berserk and Image, but how do I keep Omega from ending me? I'm totally unfamiliar with bard, does it have something?

romeo's ballad stunlocks omega if you have three people hitting him. technically you can do two but the timing is tight. bard also can get your str/mag and level up to 99 with songs

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, I have now eliminated three World 2 bosses using !Rapidfire death procs. This is almost as easy as having a blue mage.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

romeo's ballad stunlocks omega if you have three people hitting him. technically you can do two but the timing is tight. bard also can get your str/mag and level up to 99 with songs

That said, actually killing omega with that team is going to be an unfun slog, because their offense is entirely reliant on monkless fist crits and/or high morning star rolls.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

pretty sure you can always go back and buy another trident from jachol

Oh that is good to know.

Hey Mustachioed Demon does this run count for our bet?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A Real Horse posted:

Oh that is good to know.

Hey Mustachioed Demon does this run count for our bet?

Sure! This team looks more gimmicky and that's better.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

That said, actually killing omega with that team is going to be an unfun slog, because their offense is entirely reliant on monkless fist crits and/or high morning star rolls.

I'm a teacher and it's summer, so I really have time for nothing but unfun slogs. Is there any hope of chicken knife thief getting through?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Omega has 190 physical defense and 150 magic defense, so no.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Einwand posted:

Omega has 190 physical defense and 150 magic defense, so no.

Well at least I can fast forward.....

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Lurdiak posted:

You can slow Omega with !Combine Blitzshot+Turtle Shell. This will trigger his counter routine though.
You can damage Omega with !Combine Blitzshot+Iron Draft. This will not trigger counters.
Also I imagine Mighty Guard/White Wind are invaluable but it's been a while since I rolled Blue Mage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bregor posted:

You can slow Omega with !Combine Blitzshot+Turtle Shell. This will trigger his counter routine though.
You can damage Omega with !Combine Blitzshot+Iron Draft. This will not trigger counters.
Also I imagine Mighty Guard/White Wind are invaluable but it's been a while since I rolled Blue Mage.

The iron draft trick will come in handy, thanks. Although considering my team's HP isn't even at 2000, mighty guard can only do so much against some of his attacks.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

derra posted:

Phoneposting, but I'll redo my pledge from last year. I'll pull it up tonight if no one beats me to it.

Edit: got it

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 

After 4 years, I'm at 82 triple crowns in a row, all but the first 2 chaos. Think I'll push for the big 100.

Samuel Clemens, blakelmenakle, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Osci

:toxx: Time!

Run #2: Pure Chaos — Time Mage / Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Ninja

I could go back and check, but I think my combined level of 86 is my lowest ever. I fought almost no random encounters after the Fire Ship, exceptions being Bal Basement for AP, and Reflect Knights and Yellow Dragons for drops. Omega got Quickleaked. Shinryu got plunked in the face with a Power Staff and lost to !Image spam. I thought I'd need to level more for NED, but I changed my strategy of saving the human part for last and Magic Lamping it at the end, to opening with Magic Lamp Odin, Break Blade on Almagest, and spamming Meteor on two targets instead of four. Worked pretty well until the dragon part got off a raged Almagest/Vacuum Wave, but an Aegis block saved me from a wipe. This was super fun, thanks derra!

I'll be away for the weekend, but I'll re-roll soon! Eight jobs down, 17 to go!

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Thanks for the answers everyone! Excited to get back to it. I'll be on the lookout for a Chicken Knife and a Rainbow Dress.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lurdiak posted:

The iron draft trick will come in handy, thanks. Although considering my team's HP isn't even at 2000, mighty guard can only do so much against some of his attacks.

You won't be surviving Mustard Bomb but everything else is doable with Mighty Guard up. Not to mention the Earth Shakers that can come out being completely nullfied. Most of the big damage will be from Wave Cannon and Missile halving your HP and as long as you're on top of your White Winds you can take it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is there a way to farm turtle shells in world 3 without a thief? Or am I going to have to Thief Knife and pray?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Lurdiak posted:

Is there a way to farm turtle shells in world 3 without a thief? Or am I going to have to Thief Knife and pray?

Yes, there is.
Grid F6

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Miles McCloud posted:

Thanks for the answers everyone! Excited to get back to it. I'll be on the lookout for a Chicken Knife and a Rainbow Dress.
You're definitely going to want to look up the Knife, unless you're insane in which case you'll find it normally. The Dress is probably also worth looking up because I know I would not have gone to the place it is without being told it mattered.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chicken Knife is Moore. Illage in W3, go left side dkwn the path and wander in the woods a bit.

Rainbow Dresses can be stolen in Phoenix Tower using the Thief Knife in the Mirage Pub.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Started a second run because why not. So far party is Freelancer/Ninja/Monk. Monk is kind of a waste other than the stats I get for Freelancer, but whatever.

The question is whether I have the patience to master both Ninja and Monk on someone.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Re-rolled Advance, got Thief / Mystic Knight / Bard / Gladiator. Never used a Gladiator before, looking forward to it. Also gonna job fair MK since I just had it on my last run, and Bard is essentially a free NED/Omega win.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ritznit posted:

:toxx:triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster:toxx:

Hempuli posted:

:toxx:NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive:toxx:
So #regWinner #BERSERKERRISK was kinda easy mode (although not a free triple crown). It was basically finagling Blue Mage until you get boosted Ramuh, then Titan, and then finally Syldra which more or less makes the rest a walk in the park. You just stroll through The Void with that and Odin's Zantetsuken (I was eating Iron Giants for breakfast).

Photographic proof of an idiot accidentally hitting the fast forward button at the end :downs: Thankfully it wouldn't have been bad as it's just the ol' Berserk+Mirage Vest glitch anyway. Not as bad as when I do it with Omega...

Not the trickiest Omega but not a very high damage one either (Gungir were under mid-1000s and riskier boosted Ramuhs weren't much better, 3 max per Search reflect). But really rather safe with Carbuncle (trying to NOT reflect Atomic Rays this time) and Blue Mage specialties (White Wind through Reflects, Mighty Guard of course, and shield capabilities on Butes there who ended up just using a Flame Shield). I didn't even have to use the Status Equipment glitch although it did make it longer since Mute blocks Summon and White and Aegis Shield has Stone protection.

Seriously, boosted Syldra is like cheating (the Mighty Guard didn't hurt but Golem was very good too). I don't think I've ever had an easier Neo Exdeath.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bad RNG (and also personal incompetence) drove me kind of crazy at the end there but I finally did it!

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Last year I bit off a bit more than most people could chew with my donation incentive. This year I'll keep it simple.
  1. For every goon who kills NED with two Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $5.
  2. For every goon who kills NED with three Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $25.
  3. For the first goon who kills NED with four Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $125; for any subsequent goons, $50 (while supplies last).
Only one goon can claim the big money. For all other runs, in any combination, the cap is $200.

Has anyone else done a multiple zerker run yet? I haven't noticed...things I wish I'd realized earlier- that even with Black Magic as my only reliable offense, I probably could have killed Necrophobe if I had used my first two magic lamp charges on him, instead of not even trying. Chicken Knife is absolutely critical just for getting through the tedium of the void even if you don't want to power it up. Anything that's not a powered cheese party really needs level forty at minimum. Keeping track of NEDs HP is stupidly important, and also Bone Mail is worthless against him. Break worked a lot more than I thought it would but the run I actually won on involved just killing the bottom right part normally since my Berserkers landed some lucky criticals on it. In addition to getting Meteod by failing to count properly I also got wiped by unlucky Grand Crosses just instakilling both my non berserkers, which was why I resorted to Break so often because some runs trying to kill it with magic was just ramming my head against the inevitability of a bad Grand Cross roll.

Ugh, OK, that's enough. Not sure when or if I'm going to try a second run. Maybe if there's a new wacky toxx that catches my attention. Oddly enough I'm still not really put off by Natural, I think mainly because this was already basically a natural run anyway. Terrain and Black Magic, in practice, seemed to do basically the same thing. Gaia Hammer Berserker was an easily skippable gimmick. At any rate I don't see how a natural run could be much worse than this one was, unless I somehow roll the exact same classes.

Oh yeah, question for that person from a few pages ago who swore never to do Upgrade again. Why not? What was it about your class layout that made your run unnecessarily difficult compared to if you hadn't chosen to use the Upgrade rules?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a list of what optional stuff gives what rewards in W3? I could just scroll down through this FAQ but I'm guessing the answer is just going to be "shop at the hidden town, grind for elixir, done"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some Guy TT posted:

Has anyone else done a multiple zerker run yet?

There are a few people who've finished the game with three or four Berserkers. I don't think anyone's tried to do that more than once, though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

No, I meant this year, activating the pledge.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a list of what optional stuff gives what rewards in W3? I could just scroll down through this FAQ but I'm guessing the answer is just going to be "shop at the hidden town, grind for elixir, done"

What's your party? The most widely used item in my opinion is the wonder wand in fork tower. Other than that it's mostly ultimate spells. Most teams can't use more than the 3 weapons you get from the mandatory tablet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DalaranJ posted:

Solitary Island Shrine: Beastkiller Whip, access to Fork Tower
Fork Tower: Holy, Flare, Wonder Wand, Defender knightsword, submarine access
Undersea Trench: Meteor, Magic Lamp recharge spot, decent grinding if you've got Bard
Istory Falls: Aegis Shield, Titan's Axe, Leviathan (only relevant if you have Summoner + Chemist)
North Mountain: Bahamut (only relevant if you have Summoner + White Mage/Monk who can't use knives)
Phoenix Tower: Phoenix, AP from magic pots

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Beastmaster/Bard/Ranger/Monk, triple crown

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

What's your party? The most widely used item in my opinion is the wonder wand in fork tower. Other than that it's mostly ultimate spells. Most teams can't use more than the 3 weapons you get from the mandatory tablet.

Kyrosiris posted:

Solitary Island Shrine: Beastkiller Whip, access to Fork Tower
Fork Tower: Holy, Flare, Wonder Wand, Defender knightsword, submarine access
Undersea Trench: Meteor, Magic Lamp recharge spot, decent grinding if you've got Bard
Istory Falls: Aegis Shield, Titan's Axe, Leviathan (only relevant if you have Summoner + Chemist)
North Mountain: Bahamut (only relevant if you have Summoner + White Mage/Monk who can't use knives)
Phoenix Tower: Phoenix, AP from magic pots

Well, Bahamut probably. I'm not sure whether Phoenix will be worth it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DalaranJ posted:

Well, Bahamut probably. I'm not sure whether Phoenix will be worth it.

I would pick up syldra at the pirate base, no dungeon required and it's the strongest summon when boosted by air knife.

Magic lamp can make NED easier but isn't mandatory.

If you're trying to triple crown I would get the wonder wand for beserk shenanigans and make sure you have some lightning and darkness bows.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Phoenix rules. Instant full HP and MP recovery. The only good excuse not to get it is if you have White Mage otherwise you have to extend two turns to restore party members back to fighting strength.

Just don't use it with the Bone Mail. Phoenix really hates the Bone Mail for some reason.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

derra posted:

1) Triple Crowns 

Hey, when you have a triple crown literally handed to you...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phoenix Tower also has Rainbow Dresses as a common steal from one of the enemies there, which is great armor for Dancer.

Also Reflect Rings if you need 'em.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Phoenix Tower also has Rainbow Dresses as a common steal from one of the enemies there, which is great armor for Dancer.

Also Reflect Rings if you need 'em.

Technically also Hermes Sandals as a rare drop if you're short on cash.

The Rainbow Dresses are the big thing, though; those are basically Crystal Armor but with added Confuse immunity and Sword Dance Up. If you have a dancer, you want one of those, and your only options are Phoenix Tower or wading through the Old Man Prison in the void castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Any options for Omega with Dancer/Thief/Geo/Knight?