Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there an ELI5 for Astrologian? It seems cool. It's listed as a Healing class, can it still DPS effectively enough for questing purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

Is there an ELI5 for Astrologian? It seems cool. It's listed as a Healing class, can it still DPS effectively enough for questing purposes?

Any healing class can solo, at worst it just is slower than the other classes (and in turn is also much safer since the DPS checks in most solo duties are absurdly forgiving.)

I did all my quests as a healer and at worst had a few annoying times I had to punch a monster entirely too long for it to die.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zack Ater posted:

The dissention in the replies was because there are some spells that at first glance seem like they should be upgrades, but actually aren't. The Cure spells are an example of such. Cure 1 heals less but is more MP efficient; Cure 2 heals more but is very MP inefficient; Cure 3 is an AoE heal. You shouldn't take off Cure 1 when you get Cure 2, they fill different niches.

On top of this, Cure 1 has a chance to proc a buff that makes your next cure 2 cost no MP. I think it's like 15% so it's not something you can really rely on, but it exists.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

IcePhoenix posted:

On top of this, Cure 1 has a chance to proc a buff that makes your next cure 2 cost no MP. I think it's like 15% so it's not something you can really rely on, but it exists.

That's basically how a Shaman's Healing Wave and Healing surge work, respectively, in WoW.

In that, you only ever use Healing Surge if it's procced for free, or in an Oh poo poo emergency, because it's insanely inefficient otherwise.

:eng101:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Annath posted:

"Cast healing spells. There is a secondary game of obtaining randomized buffs to apply to self/others." I think it's hard to give a detailed assessment since the class is getting adjusted more than, for instance, Samurai in SHB.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Annath posted:

That's basically how a Shaman's Healing Wave and Healing surge work, respectively, in WoW.

In that, you only ever use Healing Surge if it's procced for free, or in an Oh poo poo emergency, because it's insanely inefficient otherwise.

:eng101:

Unlike in WoW, you can afford to spam Cure 2 for a bit in FUBAR situations. You can't cast Cure 2 all day like you can Cure 1 but sometimes you just gotta open up the hose on the tank.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Medica 1 + Assize = Medica 2 (mostly) all at once :colbert:

Also it's good practice in order to not spam medica 2 all of the time because medica 2 is expensive.

Also also it casts slightly faster if you ever want to get all three stacks of confession for fat plenary heals.

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't it a huge waste to cast Medica II if the regen is already up?

I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek with that comment, and if anything I said sounded like I was saying you should spam medica 2 then my bad cause yeah spamming it is a terrible idea. If you're in a situation where you can't afford to just let M2 tick, you should C3 instead :colbert: Personally I use assize on cooldown for damage and mp, instead of holding it for healing (though of course if you need to for a raid then by all means), but even then I'd rather use M2 and assize :P

Of course, there are levels where you have neither Cure 3 nor Medica 2, and if you're running leveling roulette on WHM you should probably keep medica 1 somewhere on a bar just for that possibility.

No, people aren't always grouped for C3, that was also a joke.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zack Ater posted:

The dissention in the replies was because there are some spells that at first glance seem like they should be upgrades, but actually aren't. The Cure spells are an example of such. Cure 1 heals less but is more MP efficient; Cure 2 heals more but is very MP inefficient; Cure 3 is an AoE heal. You shouldn't take off Cure 1 when you get Cure 2, they fill different niches. Similarly for your Medica spells, 1 is a slightly larger heal but that's all it does, while 2 is a slightly weaker heal but also applies a regen effect. (Arguably you shouldn't ever cast Medica 1 but that's outside of the point I'm trying to explain.)

The Stone spells, on the other hand, just replace each other, and whichever one is level-appropriate for you will be automatically placed in whatever hotbar slot you have a Stone spell in, because they all do the same thing.

Aero's tricky, it does both. 1 gets upgraded to 2 automatically because that's just a better version, but then 3 is an AoE, so you want to keep both 2 and 3 on your hotbars.

Everything that gets upgraded automatically does so via traits, which you can check in the actions & traits menu. But generally speaking, if something doesn't get an automatic upgrade, you want to keep it on your hotbars.

Thanks! I'm keeping this post for when I launch the game again to adjust my bars. I'm a 2 false starts in the last week (open the game, gets discouraged before going anything and then I quit the game) to get back in the game because I'm terrified of healing first thing after being gone so long. I have bad memories of going back to WoW so many times and people expect you've been playing since launch and expect to ignore all mechanics then we wipe so they poo poo on you and/or get kicked.

This is the one thing I really didn't like about this game, forced group story content. I didn't expect to be literally be at one of these steps for my return.

Edit : Oh wow queues to log in on Excalibur. This doesn't bode well for the early access days and the first weeks of the expansion.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 22, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hemish posted:

Oh wow queues to log in on Excalibur. This doesn't bode well for the early access days and the first weeks of the expansion.

There's a new feature called "World Visit" in the game that you can access from your home Aetheryte that'll let you travel to a different server temporarily. You'll stay there until you travel back and can access all of your normal features aside from your house and retainers. If you want to avoid queues and don't need to immediately level your retainers, you can use World Visit before maintenance to go to a non-congested server.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Also if the queue is less than 30ish you can quit the queue and try again to get in instantly. No I don't know why it works like that :shrug:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Xun posted:

Also if the queue is less than 30ish you can quit the queue and try again to get in instantly. No I don't know why it works like that :shrug:

a queue of less than 30 on excalibur lets you in in about 5-15 seconds anyway.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Xun posted:

The queue updates in the background faster than the UI processes and retries you.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Xun posted:

The game lets people in in batches of either 50 or 100, so if the queue is less that that you can do the cancel trick as it'll still count you in the batch of clients it'll let through.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Here's a secret if you need/want a Zantetsuken and have BSM desynth levelled: You're dumb, why did you level BSM desynth. Also, you can desynth the Odin Fountain to get the currency needed to buy a Zantetsuken. Don't ask how I found this out.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

haven't played since shortly after the release of stormblood, what are the changes they are making to healing, and healers being more focused on damage output than healing, historically? will they be re-working old content to play like the newer stuff with regards to healing? and lastly, are npc trusts going to work for older stuff, or just new content going forward?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I don't like this, because I just got Protect last night, and am getting used to casting it.
Why's it being removed?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I don't like this, because I just got Protect last night, and am getting used to casting it.
Why's it being removed?

Because it’s a dumb spell that barely does anything and people freak out about whether or not it’s cast at the start of a dungeon despite how largely meaningless it is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Why's it being removed?
It's a chintzy little thing that only provides a minor penalty for not being present, which is not very interesting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ndub posted:

haven't played since shortly after the release of stormblood, what are the changes they are making to healing, and healers being more focused on damage output than healing, historically? will they be re-working old content to play like the newer stuff with regards to healing? and lastly, are npc trusts going to work for older stuff, or just new content going forward?

Healing GCDs required have historically gone down each expo, but this is the first expo to add gcd healing abilities. Healer damage output will likely be the same, but the damage toolkit has been shrunk. They won't rework old content. NPC trusts are shadowbringers MSQ dungeons only.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Why's it being removed?

Protect was mathematically insignificant at nearly all levels of content, and was nothing more than a maintenance action at the start and after deaths. It's a boring ability that does nothing.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Ah.
Well.

poo poo

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Same reason they killed stoneskin.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Stoneskin (for white mages) had better mitigation than divine benison at least. Being oGCD makes a world of difference though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Finished up SB Hildebrand - was there something to Nashu's stalker? I noticed them in one cutscene briefly as the camera panned in. I get the vibe he must have made more cameos? I also feel like there was probably some other easter eggs I missed because I noticed some Seguisumi running in the background of a cutscene.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its also weirdly anachronistic design, long term fire and forget party buffs is some Everquest poo poo, every other buff in this game is something that's meant to be used really situationally. Stoneskin was more interesting at least, but really they should just rename Divine Benison to Protect

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Finished up SB Hildebrand - was there something to Nashu's stalker? I noticed them in one cutscene briefly as the camera panned in. I get the vibe he must have made more cameos? I also feel like there was probably some other easter eggs I missed because I noticed some Seguisumi running in the background of a cutscene.
That dude has been in Hildebrand quests since ARR, its just the first time he was acknowledged

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Hemish posted:

Thanks! I'm keeping this post for when I launch the game again to adjust my bars. I'm a 2 false starts in the last week (open the game, gets discouraged before going anything and then I quit the game) to get back in the game because I'm terrified of healing first thing after being gone so long. I have bad memories of going back to WoW so many times and people expect you've been playing since launch and expect to ignore all mechanics then we wipe so they poo poo on you and/or get kicked.
For low-pressure healing options:
- The Labyrinth of the Ancients or Syrcus Tower raids because they're being farmed for event tokens, people absurdly outgear them, and half the people aren't even clicking buttons anyway. You get another healer in your party, and even if they do nothing and the party all dies, the other two parties can finish the fight.
- Palace of the Dead, where the group having a healer is entirely optional.
- Work on unlocking squadrons, which lets you run dungeons with a personal NPC team.
- Wait a week until all the abilities change and everyone else is re-learning as well.

Or, join one of the FCs and sit on the lawn saying stupid things in chat rather than running content, that's how I mostly play.

If your next story dungeon is the Vault, I'd recommend not doing that immediately, since it actually involves a fair amount of healing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I got kicked from a lldr today for not recasting protect on a single dps who died, so I'm really looking forward to getting kicked by idiots for not casting protect after it gets deleted.

No that's a lie, I'm actually looking forward to trusts and never having to deal with human idiots in dungeons ever again.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I got kicked from a lldr today for not recasting protect on a single dps who died, so I'm really looking forward to getting kicked by idiots for not casting protect after it gets deleted.

If that dps couldn't survive with protect they won't survive without it. That party spared you of their idiocy.

My favorite party I got kicked out of was a Suzaku ex clear party that kicked both myself and my co-healer for our inability to keep people from dying to mechanics they were failing. I ended up joining another party and clearing while that same group was still attempting to clear over an hour later.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I'm as prepared for Shadowbringers as I'm willing to get.

Before any of you rag on me for not capping Wolf Marks, here are my reasons:

1) gently caress PvP
2) gently caress PvP
3) gently caress PvP
4) gently caress PvP
5) gently caress PvP
6) gently caress PvP
7) I only do PvP for glamours and I have enough Wolf Marks for a full Gunbreaker set (unless the ShB set is the one I end up wanting, but I really don't think it will be)
8) gently caress PvP
9) gently caress PvP

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You didn't cap gil you loving casual.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Missing a Grand Company rank too.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Where's your desynth??????

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
This is the ideal state of desynthesis. You may not like it, but this is what peak shb preparation looks like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sacro posted:

This is the ideal state of desynthesis. You may not like it, but this is what peak shb preparation looks like.

Who hurt you

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

Who hurt you

Those are the 3 easiest desynths to raise. Real suffering would be alch crp bsm.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

ImpAtom posted:

Who hurt you

It's not even that bad, and you make money doing it. Leveling fish desynth past ~325 though... that's a bit too real for a joke grind for me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm as prepared for Shadowbringers as I'm willing to get.

Before any of you rag on me for not capping Wolf Marks, here are my reasons:

1) gently caress PvP
2) gently caress PvP
3) gently caress PvP
4) gently caress PvP
5) gently caress PvP
6) gently caress PvP
7) I only do PvP for glamours and I have enough Wolf Marks for a full Gunbreaker set (unless the ShB set is the one I end up wanting, but I really don't think it will be)
8) gently caress PvP
9) gently caress PvP

Why are some of your DoH professions purple?
Honest question, I'm still leveling through vanilla content, so I dunno how things go in the endgame.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

the_steve posted:

Why are some of your DoH professions purple?
Honest question, I'm still leveling through vanilla content, so I dunno how things go in the endgame.

You can specialize in three DoH jobs, doing so gives you a stat bonus and early access to certain crafting recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I was told there is an easy way to get a DoH class from 15-50 just by spamming Quick Synthesis instead of using levekits? How do I go about that?