Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I don't get it either, but if people are going to relegate something into unobtanium I'm fine with it being BT.

So long as I can still get Four Roses SiB, which is plentifully stocked on the literal bottom shelf, I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What's BT going for on the secondary market? Might need to export some if it back to the US. :q:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Got help me if Four Roses or Wild Turkey (and Russel's/etc) get hyped like that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

I don't get the obsession with BT, it's okay, but there are better bourbons for less. I've been drinking a lot more beer. A beer store opened in the neighborhood and they get new stuff almost every day and a bar, love that place.

What beats Buffalo Trace for under $20?

Wild Turkey 101 and a number of competing options are the same price and probably a bit better, admittedly.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vox Nihili posted:

What beats Buffalo Trace for under $20?

It's over $30 here and worth maybe half that. 4Rsmall, WT101, OGD100, EC, are all better IMO. I'd rather have Fighting Cock than BT. It's an impressive factory, stinks like a farm though, unlike the other distilleries that smell like heaven.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My go to bourbons these days are all readily available: Knob Creek Single Barrel 120, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, 4 Roses Single Barrel, Old Forrester 1920 and Makers Mark Cask Strength. They're all very good bourbons, aren't allocated and aren't chased by taters. I find them just as good if not better than many hard to find bourbons. I'm shocked that Rock Hills has become unavailable. It was a shelf turd for a while around here and now it's disappeared. What changed? Did someone name it to a best of list?

Edit: Actually after buying a bunch of different bourbons at secondary prices including buying Pappy 15 and 23 at a bar. The only bottle I'd buy again at secondary pricing was George T Stagg at $399. Nothing else was worth the premium to me.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 22, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Yuns posted:

My go to bourbons these days are all readily available: Knob Creek Single Barrel 120, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, 4 Roses Single Barrel, Old Forrester 1920 and Makers Mark Cask Strength. They're all very good bourbons, aren't allocated and aren't chased by taters. I find them just as good if not better than many hard to find bourbons. I'm shocked that Rock Hills has become unavailable. It was a shelf turd for a while around here and now it's disappeared. What changed? Did someone name it to a best of list?

Edit: Actually after buying a bunch of different bourbons at secondary prices including buying Pappy 15 and 23 at a bar. The only bottle I'd buy again at secondary pricing was George T Stagg at $399. Nothing else was worth the premium to me.

Yup, those are some good Bourbons. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is really, really nice tasting for a $38 bottle. I'm a cinnamon fiend though, so your (and I mean you, the reader) mileage may vary. 1920 is incredible when my palette in the right place, although it is starting to become hard to find in my area. x_x. 4RSB is not only usually good but super fun to try since the flavor can vary quite a bit from barrel to barrel. It's kinda exciting whenever I discover a barrel that's unique to the usual ones in the area.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 22, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I’m running out of space. I think these glasses need to move

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odd Mutant posted:

Yup, those are some good Bourbons. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is really, really nice tasting for a $38 bottle. I'm a cinnamon fiend though, so your (and I mean you, the reader) mileage may vary. 1920 is incredible when my palette in the right place, although it is starting to become hard to find in my area. x_x. 4RSB is not only usually good but super fun to try since the flavor can vary quite a bit from barrel to barrel. It's kinda exciting whenever I discover a barrel that's unique to the usual ones in the area.
Yes I love all the variation you can get in 4 Roses. I have a recent store pick 4 Roses OESV (low rye) 9 year 9 month that's really tasty and quite a bit different than my normal 4 Roses which is OBSV (high rye). I also got a store pick Knob Creek which is 14.5 years and also super good and much richer than the typical Knob Creek Single Barrel.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Yuns posted:

Yes I love all the variation you can get in 4 Roses. I have a recent store pick 4 Roses OESV (low rye) 9 year 9 month that's really tasty and quite a bit different than my normal 4 Roses which is OBSV (high rye). I also got a store pick Knob Creek which is 14.5 years and also super good and much richer than the typical Knob Creek Single Barrel.

I just grabbed the OHLQ 14 year knob creek single barrel. Haven’t cracked it open yet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I’m running out of space. I think these glasses need to move

I feel like you’re betraying your god-given username

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Hauki posted:

I feel like you’re betraying your god-given username

There’s gin in there!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

It's over $30 here and worth maybe half that. 4Rsmall, WT101, OGD100, EC, are all better IMO. I'd rather have Fighting Cock than BT. It's an impressive factory, stinks like a farm though, unlike the other distilleries that smell like heaven.

Over $30 is some bullshit but it's a quality bourbon at $20. Out here EC and 4roses are $5-$10 pricier than the basic BT. OGD100 is rarely if ever stocked, sadly, but OGD114 is around and better anyway. No comment re: Fighting Cock.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I see you've also been on /r/bourbon! I went ages without trying Rare Breed but now I'm convinced that it's the best deal around at ~$38.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Tried Legent for the first time a few weeks ago and I think I might have to pick up some more in a few weeks. I wouldn't say I have the most sophisticated pallet but I enjoyed it more than my most recent bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel at a very similar price

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

I see you've also been on /r/bourbon! I went ages without trying Rare Breed but now I'm convinced that it's the best deal around at ~$38.
Yes I do follow r/bourbon but also the FB groups too as well as some of the youtube reviewers (I like It's Bourbon Night and Bourbon Blind). 100% agreed on Rare Breed. I read about it on r/bourbon and its so well balanced and pleasant for the price. I like it better than BT or ER which are both easily available here.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

RHF is on one of the front cars of the hype train. Any non-bottom shelf Buffalo Trace bottle is basically tatered to oblivion now.

It’s going for ~$150 on secondary market, which means people can flip it for a quick $75 profit or so. It’s in the same mash bill as Blanton’s, as is Elmer T. Lee.

I’ve seen a few bottles of Blanton’s around in MN the last few months, but zero ETL and RHF.

Uh okay. Why?

I was never overly impressed with rhf but was curious about the sudden price increase.

Unfortunately it sounds like getting hold of my favourite, Elmer T Lee, might be a challenge.

Also what's a tater.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

mp5 posted:

Tried Legent for the first time a few weeks ago and I think I might have to pick up some more in a few weeks. I wouldn't say I have the most sophisticated pallet but I enjoyed it more than my most recent bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel at a very similar price

I picked up a bottle at Costco in Tustin. A little pricier than I’d like but otherwise I thought it was good.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

How does anyone feel about the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel Select Cask Strength 13 Year Bourbon (that's a mouthful to list)?

I broke it open and it's got some unusual taste notes for a bourbon, and is a flavor bomb, but it's not a crazy high ABV or alcohol-hot like Booker's. I guess the individual barrels will end up with different flavor profiles, but the stuff seems solid, and fairly priced at $60-$70 for that kind of age and cask strength.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

alphabettitouretti posted:

Uh okay. Why?

I was never overly impressed with rhf but was curious about the sudden price increase.

Unfortunately it sounds like getting hold of my favourite, Elmer T Lee, might be a challenge.

Also what's a tater.

RHF is basically just ETL at higher proof in a different bottle design. They're both single barrel products so the profile of any given bottle can vary substantially.

A tater is anyone who covets and hoards stupid hype/prestige bottles of whiskey. Typically they'll have like 3 bottles of Van Winkle and 4 special edition Hibiki bottles on their shelf, all unopened. They're basically the rubes Orphan Barrel was invented to target.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 24, 2019

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Infinite Karma posted:

How does anyone feel about the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel Select Cask Strength 13 Year Bourbon (that's a mouthful to list)?

I broke it open and it's got some unusual taste notes for a bourbon, and is a flavor bomb, but it's not a crazy high ABV or alcohol-hot like Booker's. I guess the individual barrels will end up with different flavor profiles, but the stuff seems solid, and fairly priced at $60-$70 for that kind of age and cask strength.

I just bought this bottle but I haven't opened it yet. I haven't liked any Smooth Ambler products to date but I figured I could resell fairly easy if I tried a sample and didn't like it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I just picked up a 2019 Woodford Reserve Master Collection Batch Proof just because my local shop only had one that was gathering dust on the shelf and they put it on sale. I also have the 2018 which was pretty good but not worth $130 msrp. I got the 2019 for $119 which is also probably too much.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Jim Beam lost a warehouse to fire, 45k barrels. The article makes it sound like they are try to save it but the video shows a pile of ash and firefighters hosing down surrounding videos.

https://www.wlky.com/article/jim-beam-warehouse-filled-with-45k-barrels-of-bourbon-catches-fire/28275574

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Jim Beam lost a warehouse to fire, 45k barrels. The article makes it sound like they are try to save it but the video shows a pile of ash and firefighters hosing down surrounding videos.

https://www.wlky.com/article/jim-beam-warehouse-filled-with-45k-barrels-of-bourbon-catches-fire/28275574

I was watching this story with another distiller this afternoon. Fun fact: That 45k barrels of whiskey accounts for ~1% of JB's total blending stock. Talk about "Distillery Goals."

What we were curious about was if it represents a bloc of whiskey that was all similar in age, or if the barrels in that warehouse were all of multiple ages. For their sake we hope it's the latter - it means they might have lost some well matured barrels, but it would be a balanced loss as opposed to the former which would mean that at some point in the future they're going to have a rough year maintaining a standardized flavor profile.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Eh, it's Jim Beam. Baker's is a great bourbon but it's the only Beam I drink.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I hear you. I'm not suggesting it's the epitome of bourbon, but from a manufacturing standpoint, that gives me the willies.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

No OGD? smh.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Oops, forgot that one. Yep, I'd hate for OGD prices to go up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

Jim Beam makes some great bourbon and decent rye, they just also make a whole ton of very cheap, watered down bourbon.

Speaking of which, I heard they're re-launching Baker's soon. It's going to be a single barrel bourbon and will probably cost more! The best value Beam offers today is in their Knob Creek store picks. Nearly full proof (120 proof), tons of flavor, and frequently in the 12-15 year age range for ~$50. They're still pushing these out, now with new labels that actually show the true age!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Vox Nihili posted:

Jim Beam makes some great bourbon and decent rye, they just also make a whole ton of very cheap, watered down bourbon.

Speaking of which, I heard they're re-launching Baker's soon. It's going to be a single barrel bourbon and will probably cost more! The best value Beam offers today is in their Knob Creek store picks. Nearly full proof (120 proof), tons of flavor, and frequently in the 12-15 year age range for ~$50. They're still pushing these out, now with new labels that actually show the true age!

Can confirm. 14 year old OHSL pick is delicious and 49.99z

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vox Nihili posted:

It's not that JB tastes bad, it's that almost every other bourbon tastes better.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Enjoying a mint julep on my balcony right now. Muddled the hell out of a pile of fresh mint, threw in plenty of crushed ice (hammer & bag), then poured in four equal parts Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester 1920, Old Grand-Dad 114, and simple syrup. Side of fresh blackberries.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vox Nihili posted:

Enjoying a mint julep on my balcony right now. Muddled the hell out of a pile of fresh mint, threw in plenty of crushed ice (hammer & bag), then poured in four equal parts Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester 1920, Old Grand-Dad 114, and simple syrup. Side of fresh blackberries.

That sounds delicious.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Finally got to try Weller (special reserve) at an airport bar in Kentucky. It's... not what I drink bourbon for. The general profile reminds me of Irish whiskey more than anything. Good to try but think I'm sticking with Russell's and Four Roses.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Does that apply to wheated bourbons in general or just to Weller SR? I'm not much of a fan of Weller SR either. It's fine but doesn't deserve the hype it sometimes gets.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Any reviews for Jim Beam?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I love nearly all Wheaters and Weller's (or as my husband drunkenly says, Wheaties) but Weller special reserve is crap.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Any reviews for Jim Beam?

All of them? Peanut yeast funk, low proof (except BiB I guess), generally young, tad overpriced.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I think it's kinda... I really prefer, for bourbon, stuff with a higher rye grain bill, even if (especially if?) it's less smooth. I think wheated is not my thing but I'm open to other (less hyped out of availability) examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I think it's kinda... I really prefer, for bourbon, stuff with a higher rye grain bill, even if (especially if?) it's less smooth. I think wheated is not my thing but I'm open to other (less hyped out of availability) examples.

Makers 46 is the only wheated bourbon I care enough to stock. Otherwise, I’m with you—4R and RR/WT are my favorites.