Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

You might have the wrong link there, but you might not. I honestly don't know
I linked that yesterday. I think my phone hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Police who shot Vallejo rapper 55 times in 3.5 seconds acted reasonably, report found

Tryna avoid cop chat so I'd just share the headline.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

This is the most terrifying thing I've ever seen.

I keep telling myself if was a cult of personality lightning in a bottle death spasm from old white people in reaction to the horror of a black guy getting elected. That said, Trump will probably get 4 terms.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Trump nominated Esper (current Sec Army) as Sec Def. Guy has been in the government for basically his whole life.

One of the more perplexingly normal decisions he's made regarding nominees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.a3dbde0e31d2

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I keep telling myself if was a cult of personality lightning in a bottle death spasm from old white people in reaction to the horror of a black guy getting elected. That said, Trump will probably get 4 terms.

I'm pretty sure I've already seen people argue that since FDR (A DEMOCRAT) got four terms, Trump should get four as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure I've already seen people argue that since FDR (A DEMOCRAT) got four terms, Trump should get four as well.

If he could just skip to the final one right now that would be cool.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

psydude posted:

Trump nominated Esper (current Sec Army) as Sec Def. Guy has been in the government for basically his whole life.

One of the more perplexingly normal decisions he's made regarding nominees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.a3dbde0e31d2

Hmm?

quote:

He left government and served as chief of staff at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, and represented the defense industry, first as the chief operating officer of the Aerospace Industries Association and later as vice president of government relations for the defense contractor Raytheon. He also served as executive vice president for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Global Intellectual Property Center and as its vice president for Europe and Eurasian Affairs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Relatively normal by republican admin standards. See: Cheney

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Why didn't you post the article, too?

VALLEJO, Calif. (BCN) -  A retired peace officer with experience in training police officers in the use of force said the Vallejo police officers' fatal shooting of rap artist Willie McCoy, 20, in a Taco Bell drive-thru in February was reasonable and in line with modern training and police practices,  the city attorney said.

City Attorney Claudia Quintana referred to a May 17 report by Dave Blake of Brentwood-based Blake Consulting. Quintana posted Blake's report and a news release about it on Vallejo's website Monday.

Quintana said the report details the legal background and the reasons behind Blake's conclusions. But she said it is important to realize that there is a difference between what force is reasonable from a civil 
liability perspective and what outcome city officials and the community wanted.

"The death of Mr. McCoy is not the outcome that the City of Vallejo and our community desire," Quintana said.

A letter by Blake to Assistant City Attorney Kelly Trujillo, said the review of the Feb. 9 fatal shooting focused on the constitutional aspects of the use of force as well as any human factor psychological aspects which might apply.

Blake said he reserved the right to add, change and delete any of his opinions based on any provision of more information not reviewed at the time his report was completed. 

The report says six Vallejo police officers fired 55 rounds in 3.5 seconds at McCoy who was sitting in a silver Mercedes that was still in drive gear. 

Blake said the officers had reasonable suspicion and/or probable cause to detain or arrest McCoy for offenses that included carrying a loaded firearm in public, DUI, possession of a firearm under the influence of a controlled substance and resisting, delaying or obstructing a peace officer.

One of the officers who looked inside the Mercedes-Benz as McCoy slept said he saw a gun in McCoy's lap, and two other officers confirmed it, Blake said.

Video footage from various angles makes it clear McCoy sat up, moved both hands toward his lap and then moved his left arm downward, Blake said.

Officers were giving loud verbal commands as McCoy made movements forward in his seat three seconds before shots were fired, Blake said.  McCoy's eyes were open and he looked around at the officers before reaching toward the area of the gun. Videos from all body worn cameras show McCoy was fired upon three seconds after the first verbal command to show his hands, Blake said. 

Just before the shots were fired, McCoy's left arm movement indicates he was reaching down toward the floorboard, Blake said.

According to Blake, the six officers had probable cause to believe McCoy posed an immediate threat of death or serious injury to themselves and others, and the use of force was objectively reasonable and necessary based on the totality of circumstances.

Civil rights attorney John Burris, who represents McCoy's family and plans to file a claim against the city of Vallejo, said in March that Vallejo police "failed to establish a plan of action to safely remove McCoy from the car and violated longstanding officer safety principles." 

Burris also said he does not understand why the Vallejo police officers refused to take a position of safety to resolve the incident without gunfire. 

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ok, a think tank conservative is a Stark departure from Devos or Carson. He's basically a Bush nominee.

e: Basically I was expecting another toady like Pompeo.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 22, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/HMAesq/status/1141813603026255879?s=20

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

This country is beyond saving. Tammy Duckworth made a Facebook post about a program to provide free lunches to needy children and 90% of the comments are old boomers complaining about who is gonna pay for it and why aren't they working jobs to get food and, my favorite, if there are so many hungry kids why are there fat kids. gently caress America.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

This country is beyond saving. Tammy Duckworth made a Facebook post about a program to provide free lunches to needy children and 90% of the comments are old boomers complaining about who is gonna pay for it and why aren't they working jobs to get food and, my favorite, if there are so many hungry kids why are there fat kids. gently caress America.

But 90% of the population isn't old boomers. Social media isn't real life. gently caress those guys. They'll be dead soon enough, but the rest of us should still give enough of a poo poo about the next generation to keep trying to make things better.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arc Light posted:

But 90% of the population isn't old boomers. Social media isn't real life. gently caress those guys. They'll be dead soon enough, but the rest of us should still give enough of a poo poo about the next generation to keep trying to make things better.

But despair and nihilism are so much easier!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm thinking of changing my lovely depression motto from, "take a health care ceo with you to st. peter so you look better by comparison" to "take all the boomers with you so they can be disappointed that there's no afterlife."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Here's me dancing around some boomer's death bed as they fade from this world singing "There's no god, there's no god!" While their horrified family looks on.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

thats for tickets to the debate(s)

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 22, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

$0- watch at home, drink your own stuff, yell at the lovely candidates, pet your dog, donate what you would have spent to the candidate you want

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

$0- watch at home, drink your own stuff, yell at the lovely candidates, pet your dog, donate what you would have spent to the candidate you want

Yup. gently caress the Democrat establishment.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

psydude posted:

Ok, a think tank conservative is a Stark departure from Devos or Carson. He's basically a Bush nominee.

e: Basically I was expecting another toady like Pompeo.

Heritage has been pumping out low-key fascists for a long while now, and he's been a lobbyist for 10 of the last 12 years. Other than not making public statements on the rapture or covering up his son beating his wife, what's the difference between him and Pompeo or Shanahan exactly?

I just don't see how this is an improvement.

https://dod.defense.gov/About/Biographies/Biography-View/Article/1378166/dr-mark-t-esper/
"For the past seven years, Esper was a senior executive at the Raytheon Company as Vice President for Government Relations."
https://dod.defense.gov/About/Biographies/Biography-View/Article/1252116/patrick-m-shanahan/
"Mr. Shanahan previously served as Boeing senior vice president, Supply Chain & Operations"

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 22, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Heritage has been pumping out low-key fascists for a long while now, and he's been a lobbyist for 10 of the last 12 years. Other than not making public statements on the rapture or covering up his son beating his wife, what's the difference between him and Pompeo or Shanahan exactly?

I just don't see how this is an improvement.

https://dod.defense.gov/About/Biographies/Biography-View/Article/1378166/dr-mark-t-esper/
https://dod.defense.gov/About/Biographies/Biography-View/Article/1252116/patrick-m-shanahan/

I never said it was a good thing. I said it was surprising since he's basically just an establishment conservative. Jesus this thread likes to invent narratives.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

psydude posted:

I never said it was a good thing. I said it was surprising since he's basically just an establishment conservative. Jesus this thread likes to invent narratives.

I mean, sure, if you've abandoned all standards this is fine. Literally the only difference between this guy and the people you're favorably comparing him to is that he hasn't been in a position to make public statements. Everything about his employment history confirms he'll be ideological and corrupt.

In all seriousness, what are the substantive differences between this guy and Pompeo since you keep using that as a comparison. Ester spent a few more years in the military and Pompeo spent a few years in Congress, but they fundamentally come from the same background and right wing ecosystem. Like is there a foreign policy (or whatever) issue they come down on different sides on?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 22, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How enforceable are wishes in wills? Consider the boomer parent who wants a religious funeral that's going to cost all this money, atheist kid would rather cremate and be done with it. What are they going to do, sue you?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

EBB posted:

How enforceable are wishes in wills? Consider the boomer parent who wants a religious funeral that's going to cost all this money, atheist kid would rather cremate and be done with it. What are they going to do, sue you?

IANAL, I believe it comes down to the executor of the estate. I say this as when my grandmother passed, she wanted to be cremated however the executor being my uncle decided on not following that for ~*reasons*~

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think if the estate has set aside funds for everything, it's in the will, and arrangements have been made, it's a legit thing that has to be done.

If it's just some bullshit that they expect other people to pay for, then sorry pop pop, your crispy rear end is going in the 16 dollar urn in a box next to a costco 12 pack of TV cleaner.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean, sure, if you've abandoned all standards this is fine. Literally the only difference between this guy and the people you're favorably comparing him to is that he hasn't been in a position to make public statements. Everything about his employment history confirms he'll be ideological and corrupt.

In all seriousness, what are the substantive differences between this guy and Pompeo since you keep using that as a comparison. Ester spent a few more years in the military and Pompeo spent a few years in Congress, but they fundamentally come from the same background and right wing ecosystem. Like is there a foreign policy (or whatever) issue they come down on different sides on?

“Debate me!”, he screams, waving a pair of official biographies in my face

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

In German cop news, a court couldn't deny a bunch of Neo-Nazi festival organisers in East Germany from doing their concert, so it instead decided to gently caress with them and confiscate their beer.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-police-confiscate-4200-liters-of-beer-from-nazis/a-49303945

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In German cop news, a court couldn't deny a bunch of Neo-Nazi festival organisers in East Germany from doing their concert, so it instead decided to gently caress with them and confiscate their beer.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-police-confiscate-4200-liters-of-beer-from-nazis/a-49303945

How in the hell are neo Nazis given a right to organize in Germany, aren't they super conscious about the whole Nazi thing? I'd imagine they'd be super strict about that.

Though I will say good cops on that

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

How in the hell are neo Nazis given a right to organize in Germany, aren't they super conscious about the whole Nazi thing? I'd imagine they'd be super strict about that.

Though I will say good cops on that

To repost what I said in the Schadenfreude thread, these aren't Swastika-waving, Sieg-heiling Neonazis like the ones Trump thinks are very fine people. These are Neonazis that have to use off-brand, non-verboten flags in public, and can only sieg-heil very quietly behind closed doors.
NeoNazis in Germany have to tiptoe around several laws to not get hosed, and can't act out their fantasies in public like American NeoNazis can.

The laws restrict a ton of symbols, exclamations, behaviors and such that those shitlers would really love to display, but can't. And then there's a "Gummi-Paragraph", or "rubber-paragraph" that is intentionally worded a little loosely and doesn't include an exhaustive list of explicit things that are verboten, so as to give the courts some leeway in loving over Nazis that play the ol' "just the tip" routine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

I'm assuming German Neonazis swoon at American Neonazis all day, dreaming of a land where they can cosplay their little racist hearts out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
United States of America. Now more racist than WW2 Germany.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ded posted:

I find an incredible amount of prescience in system of a down lately.

But there have been people saying it since forever. Nazi Germany took notes on American sins and used them. We've been courting this political climate before the first Congress.

There was a crazy amount of support for fascism in America before WW2 and we put the Japanese into racist death camps. There were contemporary Pearl Harbor truthers.

None of it is new.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ded posted:

We're not even more racist than WW2 America.

edit: re: Times cover: wonder if "Trumpism" will be the 21st century Fascism (language use wise, it's already fascism)

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 22, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm a dumbass and posted this in the wrong thread:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

CNN: Seven motorcyclists are dead after colliding with a pickup truck in New Hampshire.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/22/us/new-hampshire-accident-motorcyclists-pickup-truck/index.html

They're not laying out fault yet, but I gots me a sneaking suspicion some folks were trying to own the road before the truck owned them.

E: truck was pulling a trailer on a two lane road. Bikers were largely a group of former marines a few hundred feet from their hotel. Haven't read an article describing any fault yet, but haven't read anything about the truck driver facing charges either.

Riders were from Marine Jarhead Motorcycle Club. Still nothing on fault.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm a dumbass and posted this in the wrong thread:

It was a head on crash that took out 7 of 10 riders. Godamn that's brutal.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I don't know that stretch of road at all, but if it's got a few curves I could see the bikers or the pickup driver cutting the center line for reasons. Bunch of unknowns at the moment.

Goddamnit guys, wear gear if you're going to ride. These were marine harley guys, you could probably assume they had skid lids at best. Your chin is easily detachable, don't leave it out in the breeze.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think we can guess exactly who is at fault.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Being that they're rather tight-lipped on details at the moment, I'm inclined to agree. I'd be interested in seeing what the blood alcohol/narcotics panels look like, too. Dudes trying to out-dude each other, marines are the proto-bro. Also why I suspect a lack of much safety gear, aside from what skirts the law.

But we won't know until they release the report. I kinda hope that truck had a dashcam on it. This was in the boonies of new hampshire, if that is such a thing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Chichevache posted:

I think we can guess exactly who is at fault.

Yeah, I saw a picture of what bikes were involved and then you hear motorcycle club and then you hear military and, well, it's really, really, hard not to jump to a conclusion.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I don't know that stretch of road at all, but if it's got a few curves I could see the bikers or the pickup driver cutting the center line for reasons. Bunch of unknowns at the moment.

Goddamnit guys, wear gear if you're going to ride. These were marine harley guys, you could probably assume they had skid lids at best. Your chin is easily detachable, don't leave it out in the breeze.

It was in New Hampshire,"Live free or DIE". Guess they weren't living free enough.

New Hampshire doesn't require helmets or insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, the truck was a Dodge ram