Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry Helsing, I broke them. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Jehde posted:

Also were nazis invading raptors celebrations? Like obviously statistically there had to be nazis in that crowd, but were there actual nazi groups going around gay bashing like pride hamilton?

I didn't see any big groups but the usualyl hate preaching gently caress face was around Queens and university for a bit before people shut him the gently caress up

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:catstare:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Jun 16, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

its mainstream history. without gun control there would of been no ww2 and a whole lot less massacres and genocides and famines ect

You don't know poo poo about history.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cerepol posted:

I didn't see any big groups but the usualyl hate preaching gently caress face was around Queens and university for a bit before people shut him the gently caress up

the guy with the kilt who's always yelling about creeping sharia?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jehde posted:

Sorry Helsing, I broke them. :shrug:

yes, that's some masterful trolling there. you tried to wokewash your gun fetish and got called out on it. gg.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

this is not the first time I’ve seen this line of argument and I love how it is assumed - afaict exclusively by heterosexuals who love guns - that “gays” would like have a large amount of people with guns at Gay Pride and would not be effectively discouraged from attending Gay Pride if they knew there were lots of people with guns there

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

this is not the first time I’ve seen this line of argument and I love how it is assumed - afaict exclusively by heterosexuals who love guns - that “gays” would like have a large amount of people with guns at Gay Pride and would not be effectively discouraged from attending Gay Pride if they knew there were lots of people with guns there

It’s the gays who are holding back my precious gun utopia

E: we need gun pride marches where me and my friends can walk down city streets with our bazookas open carried to protest illegal and hateful confiscations and prejudice by the RCMP and the world at large. We’ve come too far to give up now, no long gun registry!

Arivia has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Jun 22, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Guns are badass. Name one successful protest movement without the implicit threat of violence behind it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

E: we need gun pride marches where me and my friends can walk down city streets with our bazookas open carried

i think this is called montana

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

infernal machines posted:

yes, that's some masterful trolling there. you tried to wokewash your gun fetish and got called out on it. gg.

I assure you that I sincerely believe in the right of marginalized groups to defend themselves.

THC posted:

Weren't there already cops there though?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
There's a lotta liberal none-sense here coming from both sides here. On the one hand there is a case to be made that in some circumstances marginalized communities can practice forms of collective self defense that may necessarily involve increasing their group capacity for violence. However, advocating that we'd be a safer society if everyone was strapped at all times when in public is crazy and doesn't describe a society I would want to live in.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Helsing posted:

There's a lotta liberal none-sense here coming from both sides here. On the one hand there is a case to be made that in some circumstances marginalized communities can practice forms of collective self defense that may necessarily involve increasing their group capacity for violence. However, advocating that we'd be a safer society if everyone was strapped at all times when in public is crazy and doesn't describe a society I would want to live in.

loving word.

I uh, can't help but look at the charts that say we're in for bad times though. :( A constant fault of CanPol for some reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helsing posted:

It’s especially stupid when Hamilton Pride is being used as an example because antifa stepped up to protect queer people when the cops wouldn’t. And they did it just fine without guns.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

strange that you used the word "violence" there, when we are assured that no violence is involved in the ownership and carrying of guns for purposes of defence

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jehde posted:

Weren't there already cops there though?

You disingenuous shitfuck, you obviously know nothing about queer politics and should shut the gently caress up

Go back to loving a shotgun barrel or whatever you do in your spare time

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nah shotguns are weird and gross. Now handguns, those are rad.

The IK had a good, non-idiotic, measured take. Can we move on now?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, if all the folks i presume to speak for would just shut up we could finally move past this unfortunate incident

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
at least the government wont throw you in jail for being gay in 2019 cant say the same about gun possession

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is anyone starting to see local election campaigning? A candidate in Burnaby North bought an old abandoned pizza hut to use as a billboard. :psyduck:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've seen some liberals canvassing here in TO, and out in belleville as of a couple weeks ago

my neighbourhood is solidly lib/ndp, i don't expect to see any cons out door knocking, but who knows

at least the government wont throw you in jail for being gay in 2019 cant say the same about gun possession

a take so hot it contravenes international weapons treaties

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jehde posted:

Nah shotguns are weird and gross. Now handguns, those are rad.

The IK had a good, non-idiotic, measured take. Can we move on now?

shut the gently caress up

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol if you think legal gun ownership provides a meaningful defense or deterrent against nazis at this point

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

the ratio of humans who die from the lack of guns vs people who die by gunshot wound is like 10 to 1. And by the way not letting gays and melaninated people have guns is explicitly the nazi position on gun control which the authoritarian left just happens to agree with

lmao this post is retarded

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

haha they don’t want to get booed

WTF is Ford Fest? Hope DoFo gets booed and heckled there

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yellow Ant posted:

haha they don’t want to get booed

WTF is Ford Fest? Hope DoFo gets booed and heckled there

The big Ford family annual public BBQ. Unlikely he will get heckled there, sadly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ford Fest is the yearly, now registration only, "family" barbecue that the Fords host. It used to be at their parents home in Etobicoke back when RoFo and DoFo were city councillors, it's being held in Markaham this year because they're expecting thousands of Fordnationals

It's pretty unlikely he'll be booed there, but if he were he'd probably lock himself in his room and never come out.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Someone needs to buy tickets and boo him, it would be so good do iiitt

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah a populist rally doesn't seem like the place to boo, but could a milkshake be snuck in?

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Ahh, thanks for the explanation. Sounds awful.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jehde posted:

Speaking of shutting the gently caress up and smoking something, bitch, something I think everyone ITT could do... Supposedly we got a bunch of money from our legal weed market. Does all that money just go straight to the treasury to be used in generic budget bills later? It was pretty cool when Colorado directly funneled a bunch of their weed money into education, made for a nicer headline.

The dog piling will never end but you're doing the Lord's Work.
every practising white supremacist deserves to live in constant fear they can be murdered at any moment for turning the wrong corner.

They already wear masks because they know their beliefs are reprihensible. Make them more afraid to leave the house than they already are.

Or we could coddle them and engage them in thoughtful discourse. With grown men who show up to pride parades with swastika flags in 2019. It's ok to admit some people deserve to die more than others. They do it all the time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Someone needs to buy tickets and boo him, it would be so good do iiitt

oh it's still free to attend, but you have to give them your name and contact info, probably something that matches up with official id

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

every practising white supremacist deserves to live in constant fear they can be murdered at any moment for turning the wrong corner.

They already wear masks because they know their beliefs are reprihensible. Make them more afraid to leave the house than they already are.

Or we could coddle them and engage them in thoughtful discourse. With grown men who show up to pride parades with swastika flags in 2019. It's ok to admit some people deserve to die more than others. They do it all the time.

the person you're quoting was very clear about not advocating violence. responsible gun ownership is nonviolent. simply by owning a firearm, and storing it safely in a locked cabinet, you will be free from predation and assault

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
A very public parade with lots of bystanders is not a good place to get into a shoot out with nazis.

The left in general does need to develop a better intellectual/emotional relationship with weapons, since I think we're all agreed things are gonna get a lot worse than the cops standing back to let fascists do their thing

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

the person you're quoting was very clear about not advocating violence. responsible gun ownership is nonviolent. simply by owning a firearm, and storing it safely in a locked cabinet, you will be free from predation and assault

We did a secret cool guy head nod from across the room, we just gotta get centrists to calm down about decorum before we start unloadin on the fash with our recreational hobby tools

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

Well at least you're honest about your fantasies.

You know we can achieve this without flooding the streets with guns?

I'm probably one of the more sympathetic people here, I've used guns extensively, enjoy shooting, and can see the power in a militia. However, I can also see that guns are being turned into a fetishistic object with magical properties to solve all our political problems. People wield guns, the people, not the guns, are the key here. You want to arm a movement before it's been built. You need a fairly cohesive and militant group to achieve what you want. Coincidentally the only place that consistently exists is on the far-right at the moment.

I don't wish to speak for minorities here, but i'll offer what i've heard and seen. Of all the LGBTQ people I know, only one of them is militant enough to carry a gun, and he's patently anti-gun, insisting that building a mass movement with a very strong protest culture is way more important. Beyond him, I know a handful that are real leftists, but definitely aren't going to be comfortable with even the idea of participating in a violent street fight. After that, its milquetoast liberals that think going to a marvel movie is good praxis. Contrast this with what we know about the far-right. If you just dump a bunch of guns into society as it stands now it will go very very badly for everyone that's not the far right.

For people (also SSB and jehde) with seemingly anarchistic leanings (ssb even calling everyone authoritarian leftists) , the pro-gun folks sure seem to want to dictate a solution to communities of people. Ask yourselves if you've actually talked to these communities about what they'd want done, what they'd like to do themselves. Based on what is being said I'd guess the pro-gun people haven't done this, and just want to use minority issues as an attractive camouflage for their pet issue. I could be wrong though.

We need more anti-fascists, not better armed anti-fascists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Based on what is being said I'd guess the pro-gun people haven't done this, and just want to use minority issues as an attractive camouflage for their pet issue. I could be wrong though.

Yes, it's almost uncanny, isn't it?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yep. notice how almost none of the people suggesting this brilliant and good-faith solution are queer themselves. that we know of anyway. what we know for sure is that the deployment of millimeter deep identity based justifications for reactionary policy is an increasingly popular tactic on the right. fascists gonna fash

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Jun 22, 2019

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

For people (also SSB and jehde) with seemingly anarchistic leanings (ssb even calling everyone authoritarian leftists) , the pro-gun folks sure seem to want to dictate a solution to communities of people. Ask yourselves if you've actually talked to these communities about what they'd want done, what they'd like to do themselves. Based on what is being said I'd guess the pro-gun people haven't done this, and just want to use minority issues as an attractive camouflage for their pet issue. I could be wrong though.

You're mischaracterizing the right to self-defence as forced armament. Some people hear the word gun and panic at the idea, that's fine, you never have to touch or see a gun. You are allowed to live your life without participating in something you do not want to, I'm advocating for freedom here. Maybe don't try to push the nerds that want to keep both the guns and gays out of the overton window tho.

Also lmao @ me being an anarchist, I get it but lmao. The dude that gets annoyed at people for violating traffic law is most def an anarchist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

what part of shut the gently caress up rear end in a top hat do you not understand