Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure what to do after exploring the area under the blood fountain. I've found the green room deep underground, but I can't find a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure what to do after exploring the area under the blood fountain. I've found the green room deep underground, but I can't find a boss

A shard from one of the enemies there will help you, it's a real obtuse part of the game.

specifically the jellyfish enemies have Aqua Stream which will let you swim awkwardly

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Lone Badger posted:

That part is a bit weird: You have to farm a shard from one of those electric jellyfish things, it will let you travel underwater.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got zip warped to an area that was past a red door without even trying so yeah, speed runners will destroy this thing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

Does anyone know what item Demon 44 drops? It takes forever to grind this dude.

E: It appears to be Platinum. Thank god it's nothing important.
Their shard is Resist Curse.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Got as close to 100% as I care to get, everything left is just boring grinding.

It's kinda hilarious how INSANELY FAST you go at the very end of the game. With the Accelerator Shard, both movement books and the speed belt you can just ZOOM. Height is no obstacle either since you can jump forever with High Jump.

For the game as a whole, my MVP shard of all time has to be Teps Oceus. Because I'm lazy as poo poo, so a powerful chain lightning shard that just aims at the enemies for me is great. Fantastic grinding tool, too. I actually spent most of the game with the lowkey really useful Craftwork shard on my R1, since you can spam it while attacking for some extra free hits once you upgrade it at least one time to actually do damage. I played around with a lot of weapons, but a significant majority of the game was spent using the throwing sword thing because man that thing is good.

I'd also like to let everyone know that at the veeeeery end of the game, guns become kinda insane. When you get the recycle hat and can spam diamond bullets forever things get pretty ridiculous.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks. I'm finding treasure chests down here, how do I open them?

Infinity Gaia posted:

For the game as a whole, my MVP shard of all time has to be Teps Oceus. Because I'm lazy as poo poo, so a powerful chain lightning shard that just aims at the enemies for me is great. Fantastic grinding tool, too. I actually spent most of the game with the lowkey really useful Craftwork shard on my R1, since you can spam it while attacking for some extra free hits once you upgrade it at least one time to actually do damage. I played around with a lot of weapons, but a significant majority of the game was spent using the throwing sword thing because man that thing is good.

I'm using Bolide Blast most of the time because of the sheer damage it does, but Teps Oceus is on one of my other shortcuts.

I've been waiting for Blutgang swords since forever so I can upgrade my sword expertise. Where do I find the recipe for them?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 22, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Later on you get an ability that lets you traverse underwater like it's the ground.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Thanks. I'm finding treasure chests down here, how do I open them?

You eventually get the ability to sink and walk around (kinda) normally in water, you can open the chests then.

EDIT: On another topic, I love how once you get a decent well-upgraded attack shard and a few MP Regen boost foods eaten you can just walk around throwing magic at everything. My current go-to is a 9/9 Shuriken, which just loving murders almost everything in one hit if I'm close enough they all hit it.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 22, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just had this horrid realization that a red chest in my game (and a green one) were opened by the bug. At the time I thought that it was for story reasons (maybe I get some kind of invisible treasure power later) but :v:

I say this because I'm on a spree of getting mats to fill out my item archive.
Unrelated but I also really appreciate that nobody calls him Zangetsu, everyone just says "oh yeah David Hayter kicked my rear end". I still can't believe he just does his snake voice :v:. Hnngh Shardbinders.

Oh and question about the bonus end game boss. I know it's Alucard but how do I get him to fight me? Last time I went in dude was like "we're cool friends here have another book" and I read that I was supposed to piss him off somehow?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just had this horrid realization that a red chest in my game (and a green one) were opened by the bug. At the time I thought that it was for story reasons (maybe I get some kind of invisible treasure power later) but :v:

I say this because I'm on a spree of getting mats to fill out my item archive.
Unrelated but I also really appreciate that nobody calls him Zangetsu, everyone just says "oh yeah David Hayter kicked my rear end". I still can't believe he just does his snake voice :v:. Hnngh Shardbinders.

Oh and question about the bonus end game boss. I know it's Alucard but how do I get him to fight me? Last time I went in dude was like "we're cool friends here have another book" and I read that I was supposed to piss him off somehow?

Same way you piss off the libarian in SOTN

His chair is over a hole, go to the room below and find a way to rocket up and knock him off his chair

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gamerofthegame posted:

I find that the issue is more that enemies have a hard time actually hitting you. If there's those ghastlies in the level that can come up pretty quick through the floor you can get attritioned for like 10% of your health as you travel an area, but otherwise I didn't find myself getting hit very much. If an enemy actually manages to be in a good spot or heck, maybe you aren't abusing the gently caress out of your favorite directional attack it gets pretty rough.

The issue with Nightmare mode is that you can only survive like two hits, so even the standard fodder bats become just as dangerous as bosses. I barely get hit by like...enemies that actually have attacks, the biggest frustration was that enemies are just big hitboxes and therefor the most dangerous enemies are the ones that just run at you. Or, enemies that are standing just a liiiiiiiittle too close to an edge who barely clip you, or enemies underneath you who you can't see as you jump down, or really fast enemies who don't get stunned when you hit them. Those things are actually extremely common, but you really don't notice or care about in a normal playthrough where it's just a little chip damage. The room that made me quit was a room of three huge enemies who you cant jump over who just run at you who were very very difficult to kill, even with skills, before just ram into you. The difficulty mode really doesn't fit with how the game was designed and they'd need to totally re-consider enemy placement with this in mind if they wanted it to be really worth playing, because the current version just isn't.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zereth posted:

Their shard is Resist Curse.

I know. At the time I had the shard, but not the item, because low% drops. :v:

That guy sucks, I'd hate to actually try to grade 9 that shard.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How do I get to this area in the cathedral?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When you unlock more books in his library, there shpuld be one at the bottom called Tome of Conquest that has the power of 3 other books. He says yoi absolutely must return that one but if you hold onto it and go into the last area he'll show up to whoop your rear end. You can't miss him.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I was going to take a screenshot so I could post a joke about how the goddamned ghost witches managed to drop 15 loving Cursed Rings while only dropping 5 Witch's Tears despite the former having an ostensibly lower drop rate, but taking a screenshot made the game crash so I guess I'm grinding all that back again anyway :suicide:

edit: Off to a good start!

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 22, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ymgve posted:

How do I get to this area in the cathedral?

Go to the room above it and break the floor.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Map completion: 99.80%. Uh oh. :negative:

E: I just filled in a room and my map completion didn't change. What?

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 22, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I *think* I know where the two pips of map are that I need to complete. The twin dragon towers, the right tower I have no idea how to reach, and the place with a santa hat apparently.

Bonus Boss talk but Woof O. D hits hard but I'm a little let down by the actual fight. I just ducked and spammed a greatsword swing and he kept getting knocked out of his animations outside of like, a swing or two of his. Dunno if that was supposed to happen or not :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I thought this was a really neat and cool little easter egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBaL_pTFew

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Okay, Chair-Mimic got me pretty good!

That might be one of my favorite enemies now.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Uh, I think I broke the boss?

Final area spoilers:

He's just... up there now. Doing stuff. I can't hit him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
E: Nevermind, found it. The missing room was in the Hidden Sorcery Lab.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 22, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

I know. At the time I had the shard, but not the item, because low% drops. :v:

That guy sucks, I'd hate to actually try to grade 9 that shard.
I looked it up and decided curses are uncommon enough I can live without the shard :v:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Hay croas-post but any impressions based on the Switch port? Thanks : )

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pakistani politics posted:

Hay croas-post but any impressions based on the Switch port? Thanks : )

Not out yet, check back in 3 days.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Zereth posted:

I looked it up and decided curses are uncommon enough I can live without the shard :v:

That enemy is the only reason I would even want a resist curse shard so, yeah, not going to be grinding him at all

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RichterIX posted:

That enemy is the only reason I would even want a resist curse shard so, yeah, not going to be grinding him at all
The red things that drop Witch's Tears I don't remember the name of were a bit terrifying the first time I ran into them, but once I wasn't dealing with early-game low-powered gear/abilities and also knew what they did they weren't nearly as much of a problem, and I can't think of anything else that commonly curses you at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So just in case people didn't notice, Boss Rush mode drops items for completion. Got a 32 bit coin which saves a ton of grinding.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
I think i'm being misunderstood when I criticize this game. Again, I'll reiterate, I like this game, it certainly does hearken back to games I loved. My major problem is that it basically does NOTHING BUT hearken back to games I loved.

When this game was announced the idea was hey you guys miss that good old igavania feel? Do you miss Symphony of the Night? Do you miss a handful of Nintendo DS games? Well boy we are cooking up a game for you! It's going to be Symphony again, but its going to be juiced up, the finest example of a 2D platforming action game with RPG elements and an anime gothic aesthetic EVER baby. Those faceless corporate suits at Konami didn't want you to have it, but we're going to pursue the vision anyway!

Ok cool, I'm on board 100%. I'm so on board I'll give you money 5 years ahead of time in exchange for a wink and an IOU.

So what did we get in the end? It's loving SOTN again, just straight up with a few new bells and whistles. Are the graphics better than SOTN? Well no, SOTN is a loving gorgeous game, even by today's standards the art holds up. ROTN is graphically on par with like an Onechanbara game, and the framerate chugs often. Woof. Is the music better? In SOTN to this day I can start humming the stage's theme before I enter it during the transition hallway, the tunes are so catchy. Yeah that ain't happening with ROTN any time soon even if I play it for 300 hours.

They added a crafting system!

Cool if I combine 3 wiggles I get a wongle, combine 4 wongles and I get a Chateaubriand steak! Brilliant, game of the year. Let me spend the next 8 hours re-entering a screen so I can kill a bouncing goat head and collect as many wiggles as possible. I'm stoked.

The story is pure distilled anime retardation!

This is actually a plus for me given the context. I don't have any complaints about this actually.

In the purple walled cave level there is a long waterfall and a grotto filled with annoying jumpy frog enemies who ribbet and bounce with a *sproing!* sound effect. Wow they designed parts of this game so that Son Goku could hammer fist a railroad spike directly into the gland in your skull that squirts happy juice whenever you see something you liked from back when you were thirteen. Yep that's all I need to see before I declare this game to be the second coming.

I literally groaned when I saw this in the game. There's a fine line between homage and creatively bankrupt, and I'm not convinced at all that we aren't in the second area.

Look if the game was hyped this much, but it isn't even close to being as good as the original even, what was the point? Those fat cat fuckers at Konami were...right?

It's hard for me to get truly excited about this game after all this time especially when Humble Bundle bait bargain bin games like loving Guacamelee are more tightly designed and have more engaging combat even.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

electrigger posted:

I think i'm being misunderstood when I criticize this game. Again, I'll reiterate, I like this game, it certainly does hearken back to games I loved. My major problem is that it basically does NOTHING BUT hearken back to games I loved.

Ok cool, I'm on board 100%. I'm so on board I'll give you money 5 years ahead of time in exchange for a wink and an IOU.

It's hard for me to get truly excited about this game after all this time especially when Humble Bundle bait bargain bin games like loving Guacamelee are more tightly designed and have more engaging combat even.

Not misunderstood, just nobody caring? Everyone here really likes it, and your sarcasm and insult laced posts do not suggest you really like it. If you like Guacamelee more, great, go play that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So am I hearing things or is the VA for Dominique the same lady who voiced Integra in Hellsing Abridged?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

We get it dude, you don't like it. It's not innovative, you think everything about it is worse, maybe Konami was right, etc etc.

Your opinion has been noted, now please gently caress off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

electrigger posted:

When this game was announced the idea was hey you guys miss that good old igavania feel? Do you miss Symphony of the Night? Do you miss a handful of Nintendo DS games? Well boy we are cooking up a game for you! It's going to be Symphony again, but its going to be juiced up, the finest example of a 2D platforming action game with RPG elements and an anime gothic aesthetic EVER baby. Those faceless corporate suits at Konami didn't want you to have it, but we're going to pursue the vision anyway!

So what did we get in the end? It's loving SOTN again, just straight up with a few new bells and whistles. Are the graphics better than SOTN? Well no, SOTN is a loving gorgeous game, even by today's standards the art holds up. ROTN is graphically on par with like an Onechanbara game, and the framerate chugs often. Woof. Is the music better? In SOTN to this day I can start humming the stage's theme before I enter it during the transition hallway, the tunes are so catchy. Yeah that ain't happening with ROTN any time soon even if I play it for 300 hours.

They added a crafting system!

Cool if I combine 3 wiggles I get a wongle, combine 4 wongles and I get a Chateaubriand steak! Brilliant, game of the year. Let me spend the next 8 hours re-entering a screen so I can kill a bouncing goat head and collect as many wiggles as possible. I'm stoked.

The story is pure distilled anime retardation!

This is actually a plus for me given the context. I don't have any complaints about this actually.

In the purple walled cave level there is a long waterfall and a grotto filled with annoying jumpy frog enemies who ribbet and bounce with a *sproing!* sound effect. Wow they designed parts of this game so that Son Goku could hammer fist a railroad spike directly into the gland in your skull that squirts happy juice whenever you see something you liked from back when you were thirteen. Yep that's all I need to see before I declare this game to be the second coming.

I literally groaned when I saw this in the game. There's a fine line between homage and creatively bankrupt, and I'm not convinced at all that we aren't in the second area.

Look if the game was hyped this much, but it isn't even close to being as good as the original even, what was the point? Those fat cat fuckers at Konami were...right?

Yeah I got what I paid for instead of garbage like hollow knight I'm p happy about it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Guacamelee is a good game. RotN is also a good game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Guac is great, much like its namesake

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys

CreedThoughts posted:

Not misunderstood, just nobody caring? Everyone here really likes it, and your sarcasm and insult laced posts do not suggest you really like it. If you like Guacamelee more, great, go play that.

Because I like the game and am currently playing it? I'm vulnerable to nostalgia as much as the next guy. But there's a difference between ooh, love this warm fuzzy nostalgia feeling and want to indulge in it, and ooh this game has rock solid gameplay and I'm loving it on that merit alone.

Bloodstained has rough edges that detract from that second part, while basically super nailing the nostalgia part. When I look at this game without nostalgia goggles I find many things to criticize and would like to discuss them. Why are you guys taking this personally? It's honestly weird.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, I really like the Guacamelee games, and also think this game is extremely good.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I beat the game the other night... But why did I get on the train again? I can't remember how that factored into the story at all. It's not like it took me anywhere distant or interesting either, so what was the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Beat the main game, clocked in just under 15 hours which seems about typical. Man, I really enjoyed this. I wanted a modern incarnation of Symphony of the Night and I bloody well got it. I'm happy this turned out well and I hope Igarashi gets to make more games like this. I may or may not go back and grind out more upgrades, play boss rush and such, we'll see. There might be DLC coming? The extra bosses weren't that hard, but I've yet to fight that particular one.

Side note: If you end the final boss fight on low health the controller continues doing the low health rumble throughout the entire credits sequence. Good job.