Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Also circumstantial evidence of fraud in Venezuelan elections goes back to Chavez's day. The shenanigans he got up probably weren't enough to determine most national election outcomes, but still they go way back. They issues have only got worse under Maduro.

Forensic Analysis of Venezuelan Elections during the Chávez Presidency

Abstract posted:

Hugo Chávez dominated the Venezuelan electoral landscape since his first presidential victory in 1998 until his death in 2013. Nobody doubts that he always received considerable voter support in the numerous elections held during his mandate. However, the integrity of the electoral system has come into question since the 2004 Presidential Recall Referendum. From then on, different sectors of society have systematically alleged electoral irregularities or biases in favor of the incumbent party. We have carried out a thorough forensic analysis of the national-level Venezuelan electoral processes held during the 1998–2012 period to assess these complaints. The second-digit Benford's law and two statistical models of vote distributions, recently introduced in the literature, are reviewed and used in our case study. In addition, we discuss a new method to detect irregular variations in the electoral roll. The outputs obtained from these election forensic tools are examined taking into account the substantive context of the elections and referenda under study. Thus, we reach two main conclusions. Firstly, all the tools uncover anomalous statistical patterns, which are consistent with election fraud from 2004 onwards. Although our results are not a concluding proof of fraud, they signal the Recall Referendum as a turning point in the integrity of the Venezuelan elections. Secondly, our analysis calls into question the reliability of the electoral register since 2004. In particular, we found irregular variations in the electoral roll that were decisive in winning the 50% majority in the 2004 Referendum and in the 2012 Presidential Elections

this is probably the same kind of fraud used recently in Honduras, although I haven't seen a technical analysis of their results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Majorian posted:

Yep, although "right wing" is probably not entirely accurate. Maduro doesn't strike me as terribly ideological.

there's clearly some in there, in that the entire colectivo thing is something you can only implement if you've got ideological faith in the idea that out of solidarity the freshly empowered randos aren't going to turn around and kick your rear end.

but outside of that, there's very little he's done outside the traditional Third World Country Falling To poo poo playbook. for further reference see current events in American success story Honduras, where the military are being called in to restore order after the goddamn peasants striking over privatization plans turned into the goddamn peasants rioting over privatization plans.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

The interesting thing about the video is that they show prices do not correspond at all to salaries.

The guy says you NEED someone living elsewhere to send you around 200 dollars per month to survive. If those prices are true, then Venezuela is itself completely dependent on foreign transfers to the inland.

That's... crazy

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 21, 2019

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

caps on caps on caps posted:

The interesting thing about the video is that they show prices do not correspond at all to salaries.

The guy says you NEED someone living elsewhere to send you around 200 dollars per month to survive. If those prices are true, then Venezuela is itself completely dependent on foreign transfers to the inland.

That's... crazy

That said, can the woman selling hot dogs afford her own hot dogs?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
EDIT: Wrong thread

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

That's... crazy

Yeah I've seen a lot of stuff here and there about how Venezuela is moving towards basically being a remittance driven economy.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's... crazy

I feel like a lot of posters forget the unbelievable hyper inflation has been going on for years now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's clearly some in there, in that the entire colectivo thing is something you can only implement if you've got ideological faith in the idea that out of solidarity the freshly empowered randos aren't going to turn around and kick your rear end.

but outside of that, there's very little he's done outside the traditional Third World Country Falling To poo poo playbook. for further reference see current events in American success story Honduras, where the military are being called in to restore order after the goddamn peasants striking over privatization plans turned into the goddamn peasants rioting over privatization plans.

You're not too familiar with the history of right-wing governments working with irregular paramilitaries, are you? The loyalist militias in Northern Ireland and the Colombian AUCs are good examples.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

zapplez posted:

I feel like a lot of posters forget the unbelievable hyper inflation has been going on for years now.

Yeah but not just that. The average salary - the video says - is about 40k. A Hot dog is literally 10k, and that's the cheapest food they looked at (albeit the area wasn't cheap).
Note than when it comes to salaries, usually average >>>> median.
That's what is so insane.

Sure, inflation is crazy, but the magnitude of how dependent people are on getting dollars into the country should be scary to everyone.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Yeah but not just that. The average salary - the video says - is about 40k. A Hot dog is literally 10k, and that's the cheapest food they looked at (albeit the area wasn't cheap).
Note than when it comes to salaries, usually average >>>> median.
That's what is so insane.

Sure, inflation is crazy, but the magnitude of how dependent people are on getting dollars into the country should be scary to everyone.

You must have missed the plantains for 4500 per kilo from the back of that truck. He also didn't cite a source for the monthly salary, so it might not be entirely accurate (I'm not saying to completely discount his figure, either). I don't think anyone's gonna do all that food prep if they don't expect to sell most of it, either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Friendly reminder: the current Bolívar Soberano replaced the 2008-2018 Bolívar Fuerte at a rate of 1 bs.s to 100,000 bs.f. Just for people who might be trying to compare prices in Venezuela now to those from a few years ago.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Corky Romanovsky posted:

You must have missed the plantains for 4500 per kilo from the back of that truck. He also didn't cite a source for the monthly salary, so it might not be entirely accurate (I'm not saying to completely discount his figure, either). I don't think anyone's gonna do all that food prep if they don't expect to sell most of it, either.

Yeah they sell those things, because people have dollars.

That's maybe why Venezuela is so stable. Either you have outside support and you don't feel the crisis that much, because the devaluation makes you essentially more wealthy, or you get handouts in form of goods, in which case you are completely system dependent, or finally, you are literally starving and too weak to start anything.

Edit: I mean it's perverse. Even though the currency is devaluating and inflation is increasing, Venezuela is more and more dependent on foreign capital inflows.
It's really the perfect storm

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 21, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

it probably helps Venezuela's stability that the people most likely to cause unrest, young men, are also the ones most likely to leave first.

I've seen confused information about remittances. There are several sources that are predicting remittances will be a larger part of the economy than the oil sector by the end of the year, but then the best numbers I could find placed remittances at like ~1% of GDP in 2018, though idk, that might have just been remittances from the USA.

Other weird things I've found, apparently a large portion of the remittances sent to friends and family by Venezuelans living abroad isn't going to Venezuela at all. A lot of it is being sent to Venezuelans in Colombia or Peru who are in the process of migrating. The result has been a spike in remittances to those countries.

Last tidbit is Venezuelan currency controls are so stupid it is loving up the remittance economy. For example, many of the Venezuelans in this thread can tell you about sending home not money, but literally buying parcels of rice and flour and toothpaste and sending it by mail, presumably carried on planes. It is insanely expensive and inefficient and the packages are often stolen in transit. When you can't buy goods for love or money though it makes sense.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah they sell those things, because people have dollars.

That's maybe why Venezuela is so stable. Either you have outside support and you don't feel the crisis that much, because the devaluation makes you essentially more wealthy, or you get handouts in form of goods, in which case you are completely system dependent, or finally, you are literally starving and too weak to start anything.

Edit: I mean it's perverse. Even though the currency is devaluating and inflation is increasing, Venezuela is more and more dependent on foreign capital inflows.
It's really the perfect storm

Well it goes back to the question, can that woman afford the hot dogs she is selling and honestly, she probably can because otherwise, it doesn't make any sense for her to do what she is doing.

In a country amidst hyperinflation, much of the economy is probably be informal and so we actually don't have a good idea what income from individuals looks like.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 21, 2019

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Maybe don't assume prices in a developing nation's green zone is the real prices available to residents of that nation. I'm not saying there's no food shortage, but you're not going to be able to observe it based on the prices of a food truck outside a hotel for foreigners.

EDIT: The corollary is that you can't determine the availability of food by the availability of food in the green zone either. This is basically all a slightly more sophisticated version of that guy who polled yelp.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Arent you the "google reviews prove there isnt a food crisis" guy?

Also being able to buy ten kilos of plantains with a months salary isn't exactly a glowing review of a country being ok. Especially considering just 10 years ago the average income could be hundreds of kilos of plantains on a months salary.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2019

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

30.5 Days posted:

Maybe don't assume prices in a developing nation's green zone is the real prices available to residents of that nation.

Is it fair to developing nations to lump Venezuela in with them? Maybe we should call it an undeveloping nation.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Polls in general are pretty lovely and suspect even in places like the USA so I don't think there's really any kind of accuracy to the polling being done in Venezuela to the point that it is almost useless data.

Esp when they are reporting results to a hundredth degree of confidence.

It's more likely that "most people say they hate the opposition more than Maduro but also 30% more say they'd vote for the opposition" is polling error than some nuanced social dynamic unfolding.

I suspect it is easier to get people to respond to polls in certain areas of the country versus others.

e: That said

quote:

1. Who do you recognize as president? Guaidó is descending on the expectations of Venezuelans. 41% recognize Maduro as constitutional president of Venezuela (in February it was 34%), while Guaidó is recognized by 36% (in February it was 49%).

9. Half of Venezuelans agree with advancing the elections to elect a new Parliament . If these elections are held, 39% would vote for opposition candidates, 17% for government candidates, 31% would not vote , 13% would not comment.

So, 36% recognize Guaidó as "legal president" whatever the poll defines that as (if it does). 41% recognize Maduro as "legal president" (but do not necessarily support his policies - again the poll is unclear). The remaining 23% think neither is the "legal president" - I guess these are likely to mostly be non-voters but who knows.

Of the same group, 39% would vote for opposition candidates which means the 36% plus some of the other two groups votes for the opposition (btw assuming I remember correctly off the top of my head, this already means the opposition has more popular support than Trump, just for comparison's sake). 17% votes for Maduro, which suggests that even if the group recognizes his "legal" presidency, they don't support his policies. 31% doesn't vote at all, they are probably largely the 23% of "this is all stupid and dumb" and a lot of the people who do not think Guiadó is "legal" but neither do they support Maduro.

In that reading, seems like most people don't really like Maduro; even if they disagree with the legalistic argument being made by the opposition it doesn't matter so much.

ee:

quote:

3. Crises that require urgent response : The crises that require more and urgent attention from the Government and the country in general are the economy , health , public services , corruption, public safety, exodus and emotional crisis. Only 6% give priority to the political and institutional crisis.

This also suggests that "is this guy the legal president or not?" reeaally doesn't fuckin matter to anyone at this point... I'd say it is likely that people who think Guiadó is the legal president would vote for opposition candidates, but people who think Maduro is the legal president don't particularly give a poo poo about the fact.

If I did consider this poll to be somewhat accurate (again, I don't really) then I'd say it is interesting that apparently health and public services ranks higher than public safety on the list of concerns.

eee: I don't think "The public would not support Guiadó in a free and fair election" is accurate because the non-voters... aren't voting. Even if Maduro gets every single of the 13% of "no comment" people to vote for him that's still just 30% vs 39%, which is still a pretty landslide victory actually.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 21, 2019

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe
Every economic transaction in Venezuela down to buying a jug of milk is fundamentally dependent on U.S. remittance transfer rules and Federal Reserve monetary policy, but we can't try to change this situation becuase it might result in American influence over Venezuela.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

M. Discordia posted:

Every economic transaction in Venezuela down to buying a jug of milk is fundamentally dependent on U.S. remittance transfer rules and Federal Reserve monetary policy, but we can't try to change this situation becuase it might result in American influence over Venezuela.

If you assume that the only possible options are either, "Invade Venezuela to install a puppet dictator," or "back a coup to install a puppet dictator," perhaps. But I think there are probably other, better options.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

zapplez posted:

Arent you the "google reviews prove there isnt a food crisis" guy?

Also being able to buy ten kilos of plantains with a months salary isn't exactly a glowing review of a country being ok. Especially considering just 10 years ago the average income could be hundreds of kilos of plantains on a months salary.

That was never my point. What was your sock puppet's name again?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Lol that Trump's laziness saved Venezuela from insane warmongering neocons and neolibs.

Here's hoping he also gets bored of Iran.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RottenK posted:

Lol that Trump's laziness saved Venezuela from insane warmongering neocons and neolibs.

It helps that Guaido turned out to be quite the goober. The New Yorker has a good piece up, in which one of their senior journalists followed him around for quite a bit. I kind of feel sorry for the guy; he's completely hapless.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

RottenK posted:

Here's hoping he also gets bored of Iran.

Trump is the best president America has had with foreign policy in the modern era.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trump is the best president America has had with foreign policy in the modern era.

...ehhhhhh...killing the Iran Deal was really, really, really loving bad.

The fact that he chickened out of invading Venezuela is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Majorian posted:

...ehhhhhh...killing the Iran Deal was really, really, really loving bad.

True, but I feel that was inevitable. He also pulled out of Syria. You know any other candidate without the last name "Sanders" would have escalated that poo poo.

I mean compare Trump to even Obama or Clinton on foreign policy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Trump hasn't actually pulled out of Syria and does more drone strikes with less concern for collateral damage

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

punk rebel ecks posted:

True, but I feel that was inevitable. He also pulled out of Syria. You know any other candidate without the last name "Sanders" would have escalated that poo poo.

I mean compare Trump to even Obama or Clinton on foreign policy.

Trump didn't pull out of Syria. He said he was pulling out of Syria and instead is posting about 1k soldiers there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

drat I was wrong on that. Either way I feel that Hillary and many others would have been worse on Syria than Trump.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Ardennes posted:

Well it goes back to the question, can that woman afford the hot dogs she is selling and honestly, she probably can because otherwise, it doesn't make any sense for her to do what she is doing.

In a country amidst hyperinflation, much of the economy is probably be informal and so we actually don't have a good idea what income from individuals looks like.

She has to buy the hot dogs somewhere. It's completely normal for someone not to be able to afford the products they sell, so why would it not make sense if she gets some margin?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

punk rebel ecks posted:

his foreign policy is just as monstrous as obama's/bush's/clinton's/etc, but he's dumb and lazy so it fails

Majorian posted:

It helps that Guaido turned out to be quite the goober. The New Yorker has a good piece up, in which one of their senior journalists followed him around for quite a bit. I kind of feel sorry for the guy; he's completely hapless.

i don't think that you should be sorry for greedy traitors that tried to get their country massacred

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Corky Romanovsky posted:

That was never my point. What was your sock puppet's name again?

Oh my god. Someone had an ALT? On the SA FORUMS? Why I won't stand for it. Unconscionable. I'm sending a registered letter to Mr.Lowtax immediately.

What was your point with the google reviews besides showing you have no understanding about how the world works? Or are you going to talk more about how its not a big deal for a family to be able to buy a few kilos of plantains for their whole month salary, leaving nothing for medicine or shelter or clothing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Majorian posted:

I like the little details in the article, like how Guaidó is weirded out by people calling AOC a radical (and is actively creeped out by Rubio), how it was a visit from López's hot wife that convinced Trump (and Pence!) that Venezuela was worth paying attention to, and that the fund the US is trying to put together to bribe army officers keeps vanishing before it gets anywhere near Venezuela.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

zapplez posted:

Oh my god. Someone had an ALT? On the SA FORUMS? Why I won't stand for it. Unconscionable. I'm sending a registered letter to Mr.Lowtax immediately.

The ALT you were using for concensus, what was the name?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

didn't zapplez not just have an alt but use it in thread(s) to agree with himself? lmao

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I like the way Snrub thinks!

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

RottenK posted:

i don't think that you should be sorry for greedy traitors that tried to get their country massacred

Don’t worry, I don’t think anyone feel sorry for Maduro, him trying to starve Venezuela.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fiend posted:

The ALT you were using for concensus, what was the name?

I tihnk it was corky something? I dont even remember anymore since I ate a 30 for probe evasion. But hey,sometimes you get probated and gotta keep poo poo posting so you use an alt. Worked well for like 5 years of anti-tankie posting but oh well.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dirty lousy tramp posted:

didn't zapplez not just have an alt but use it in thread(s) to agree with himself? lmao

literally this happened once or twice ever and the creepio who went through over 2 years of previous posts to find this.this goon spent literal hours combing through years of bad posts in D&D. high level poo poo. 99.9% it was just me posting in the same threads as I got probed in arguing with the same goobers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"this guy who found me out is the creep not me" is a bold strategy but it might work