Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hahah hell yeah, if you have enough corporeal power when you openly declare your weirdo religion you can just yoink everyone's stuff away without a struggle. Helped my current cathar run immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was like this close to reforming Slavic paganism when my dipshit character drank some weird magic potion an African shaman gave him and died. Then his dipshit son died of stress after doing 1 (one) raid. And now his dipshit grandson, my new character, is a new religion entirely. Playing as Pagans when you aren't very good at the game is hard. :smith:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The hard part about pagans is dealing with gavelkind, which isn't even too bad once you understand it. You just got straight up screwed by the RNG there. :(

E: lmao also just vassalized the Myrmidons. They're 10,500 strong and now it costs me less than 40 piety to raise them and ZERO upkeep.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I always forget what the 'you are about to get murdered' events look like so there's always a chilling moment of realization when the real meaning of the 'You like to go up on your balcony...' event that just popped becomes evident.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

evenworse username posted:

I always forget what the 'you are about to get murdered' events look like so there's always a chilling moment of realization when the real meaning of the 'You like to go up on your balcony...' event that just popped becomes evident.

These are particularly good when you're just a babby and your would-be murderer somehow fucks up killing an infant. You're just like oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress...oh...good this guy's incompetent as hell, whew.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Honky Dong Country posted:

These are particularly good when you're just a babby and your would-be murderer somehow fucks up killing an infant. You're just like oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress...oh...good this guy's incompetent as hell, whew.

Especialpy good when "your regent is standing at an open window..." fires right after.

I'm never a good lad

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Fuligin posted:

Especialpy good when "your regent is standing at an open window..." fires right after.

I'm never a good lad

I usually pick a good regent but if there's been regency fuckery and some dickhead politicked his way into the job gently caress yeah I'll Damien his rear end.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Life goal accomplished. Have the empire of Britannia. Now how the gently caress do I get all these dumb english petty kingdoms to bend the knee?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Force Vassalization CBs or De Jure county/duchy claims if you're short on prestige.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bunnyofdoom posted:

Life goal accomplished. Have the empire of Britannia. Now how the gently caress do I get all these dumb english petty kingdoms to bend the knee?

If they're "petty kings", i.e. dukes, you can just offer to vassalize them and they will accept, provided they are of the same religion as your emperor. Perhaps you will have to gift them a bit of gold if they dislike you.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

The hard part about pagans is dealing with gavelkind, which isn't even too bad once you understand it. You just got straight up screwed by the RNG there. :(

E: lmao also just vassalized the Myrmidons. They're 10,500 strong and now it costs me less than 40 piety to raise them and ZERO upkeep.

I feel like it hasn't been too awful so far, everybody I vote for keeps getting picked... This is usually a sign that I'm doing something wrong.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I love the event chain where your regent goes through all the standard adult murder scenarios trying to kill you, and if you survive them all, they get carried away screaming about how you won't die.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

Yeah it's always funny when I see the "oh this looks like a nice inn to stay at for the evening" event and it takes me a few seconds to make the connection and go "oh goddammit"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

No Pants posted:

I love the event chain where your regent goes through all the standard adult murder scenarios trying to kill you, and if you survive them all, they get carried away screaming about how you won't die.

I think somebody crunched the numbers and it's like less than a 5% chance for that to ever happen. Then on the "WHY WON'T YOU JUST DIE?" event he comes bursting in the room with a knife. You'd figure that's it, you're hosed, but even that one has a chance to fail.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Playing my first Bon game, and seeing a red skull with "killed in personal combat by the Dalai Lama" does not get old

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I stop caring that much about my vassal's opinion of me after a while, but I ALWAYS make sure my spymaster thinks I'm amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ilitarist posted:

You can't negotiate individual peace.

That's a real shame. It seems to be a recurring feature of real medieval wars that they'd plot and peel off the individuals they were fighting. Before long, the enemy alliance had fallen apart. The English were pretty good at doing it to the Scots.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Montalvo posted:

I feel like it hasn't been too awful so far, everybody I vote for keeps getting picked... This is usually a sign that I'm doing something wrong.

The trouble with Gavelkind (including elective) is that if you have more than one heir your turf is gonna get split, no matter what. Elective just means you get to choose who gets first dibs. Gavelkind is all about either strictly controlling your breeding to make sure there's only ever one heir (and maybe some ready-to-legitimize spare bastards) or just saying gently caress it and warring out the gavelkind thunderdome and owning your brothers when your ruler dies. You can also make sure that you only have one of your highest tier title (like if you're a King now 'arry, don't get a second kingdom title) so that even with your poo poo getting split up at least it all remains under the umbrella of that kingdom. If you have several sons and more than one of your highest tier title, it'll result in the realm getting split into two totally independent countries when you inevitably get brutally murdered by taking a particularly onerous poop.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 23, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tanistry is nice for that because even if you lose a title you can make sure that its holder is your heir and get it back in a generation or two

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 23, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

lol with enatic clans in my germanic faith reformation, I can force two dudes to get married if i catch them boning in the SCANADLOUS! I CAUGHT THESE TWO COURTIERS DOING NAKED GYMNASTICS(*) event

:getin:

still says one of them is the wife, though

(*) the text it uses specifically for ladies getting it on is, um, it's not good, folks

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

juche avocado posted:

(*) the text it uses specifically for ladies getting it on is, um, it's not good, folks

quote:

Just the other day - skulking as I often do - I caught [FromFrom.GetTitledName] and my [GetFromRelation] [From.GetFirstName] performing a very strange and intimate exercise... naked. They didn't notice me, but I am still in shock!
I'm not sure what your objection is, to be honest. It sounds kind of funny, saying it's an exercise?

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

I'm not sure what your objection is, to be honest. It sounds kind of funny, saying it's an exercise?

just appreciate the medieval married dudes with me okay

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That's fine and all, just wondered since I didn't remember anything particularly troublesome about the other.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Just gals being pals, that's all.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So if I want to usurp the Ummayad titular empire in the Iron Century start date, I will have to wait til stuff dejure drifts into it before declaring Independence yeah? (The white is SO much better than Hispania's yellow.) I've already got quite a bit of power as I'm now Sulatana of Andalusia, though I suppose I should start eating up Badajoz and Valencia too while I wait.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eimi posted:

(The white is SO much better than Hispania's yellow.)

Dehumanize yourself and face to piss empire.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had another pretty good one. I decide to mess around in the Iron Century and start off as Eirik Bloodaxe. Duel my brother for the throne, win. He had two sons before he died and a whole mess of daughters. The older son bullied the younger one, but they didn't end up proper rivals. Older son is also wolf-blooded.

Later, his oldest son Harald the Wolf inherits. The younger, Styrkar, decides to become independent with his single teeny county. Older son is better at combat and younger son would be perfectly fine to play as well... so hell, like father like son, I duel him. I lose, but he not only lets me live, he extends a hand in friendship. Well, I'll be damned. So I offer to vassalize him instead and after conquering the adjacent territory to finish off the duchy he was in, I give him the whole thing and set him up with a Heavenly wife who suits him statwise. He's my Marshal and my heir until I manage some kids.

He asks for a nickname. I call him "the Loyal." They're now the best of friends.

Legendary Gathering time arrives. We're both heroes in the Wolf Warriors and both set off with the leader of the Jomsvikings and another guy from my court. We are the only two who return alive and both create legendary bloodlines of our own.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I had another pretty good one. I decide to mess around in the Iron Century and start off as Eirik Bloodaxe. Duel my brother for the throne, win. He had two sons before he died and a whole mess of daughters. The older son bullied the younger one, but they didn't end up proper rivals. Older son is also wolf-blooded.

Later, his oldest son Harald the Wolf inherits. The younger, Styrkar, decides to become independent with his single teeny county. Older son is better at combat and younger son would be perfectly fine to play as well... so hell, like father like son, I duel him. I lose, but he not only lets me live, he extends a hand in friendship. Well, I'll be damned. So I offer to vassalize him instead and after conquering the adjacent territory to finish off the duchy he was in, I give him the whole thing and set him up with a Heavenly wife who suits him statwise. He's my Marshal and my heir until I manage some kids.

He asks for a nickname. I call him "the Loyal." They're now the best of friends.

Legendary Gathering time arrives. We're both heroes in the Wolf Warriors and both set off with the leader of the Jomsvikings and another guy from my court. We are the only two who return alive and both create legendary bloodlines of our own.

Nice story. I’m playing the same start myself. When did jomsvikings appear for you? They didn’t show up until about 1080 for me, even though we had those Pomeranian states in the empire for a long time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You know, I was planning to usurp the Byzantine Empire via intrigue and guile, with a... heh... byzantine network of marriage ties and favors. But you know what?

If the Grand Mayor of Pisa wants to crusade on Constantinople and, well, I have the biggest army in Europe... Carpe deium or something like that. gently caress I don't know we speak German here.

edit: More crusade fallout.

Everything is coming up Eglantine.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 23, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well the Ummayyads formed the empire of Hispania and being like gently caress that, I fabricated a claim on it and then just consoled myself a claim on their titular empire instead. One laughably easy war later...

All of that was mine before the revolt so I just really want to know what they were thinking. Also stupidly I gave out king level titles before trying to push for imperial admin. Strangely my title is also Caliph, I thought the muslim level imperial title was different from the religious one. Maybe it's because I stole their titular empire?

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

frickin mad at game; i like to collect as many achievements as i can in one game, and I've never played Norse seriously before, so I've got a lot of things to tic off

I figured I could easily get the 'cheevo for having your player character be devil spawn and come of age to grandmastership

except it doesn't work for loving pagans?

cool neat

I'll abandon my reformed Germanic Matriarchy and bring back the Aztec religion out of spite

:mad:

Eimi posted:

Strangely my title is also Caliph, I thought the muslim level imperial title was different from the religious one. Maybe it's because I stole their titular empire?

the new titular empire represents the caliphate of cordoba so that's probably why!

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I thought I read that you could also do some Papal political buggering with the Anti-Pope and turn him into the legit Pope but as your vassal? Which seems like a great masterstroke for a pan-European empire.

Also means that once you get the pope as a vassal you get some juicy income from taxes. Makes asking for money really powerful too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Nice story. I’m playing the same start myself. When did jomsvikings appear for you? They didn’t show up until about 1080 for me, even though we had those Pomeranian states in the empire for a long time.

I took a look in the title history: 940 apparently.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eimi posted:

Well the Ummayyads formed the empire of Hispania and being like gently caress that, I fabricated a claim on it and then just consoled myself a claim on their titular empire instead. One laughably easy war later...

All of that was mine before the revolt so I just really want to know what they were thinking. Also stupidly I gave out king level titles before trying to push for imperial admin. Strangely my title is also Caliph, I thought the muslim level imperial title was different from the religious one. Maybe it's because I stole their titular empire?

Islamic emperors are usually called Badshahs, but the caliphate title overrides that despite being lower tier. Sure you're not hanging onto a caliphate you didnt know you had or something?

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Islamic emperors are usually called Badshahs, but the caliphate title overrides that despite being lower tier. Sure you're not hanging onto a caliphate you didnt know you had or something?

The new start date attaches the title Caliph to the titular Empire of Cordoba, held by an Umayyad guy.

In the start date, the True Caliph, the in-game religious head of Sunni Islam (the guy who holds the Sunni duke-tier caliphate title), is still the Abbassid emperor. But, if he loses it, you can create it yourself.

The Caliphate of Cordoba being a parallel/pretender Caliphate, this makes sense.

yes i know i already made this post :(

and I just tested this: i got a new holding, gave away all the held-at-start holdings and titles, kept the titular empire. Still "Caliph"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

This is easily the best combat skill I've ever seen. Dudes killed a dozen people in combat already, he cuts down everyone he comes across on the battlefield. If anyone can go for the 30(?) kill achievement, it's this guy

e: just googled "best personal combat ck2" and wow 94 isn't even close lol. pretty good for non-norse tho, and it's definitely gonna get a boost from duel experience in the coming wars

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 24, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

juche avocado posted:

The new start date attaches the title Caliph to the titular Empire of Cordoba, held by an Umayyad guy.

In the start date, the True Caliph, the in-game religious head of Sunni Islam (the guy who holds the Sunni duke-tier caliphate title), is still the Abbassid emperor. But, if he loses it, you can create it yourself.

The Caliphate of Cordoba being a parallel/pretender Caliphate, this makes sense.

yes i know i already made this post :(

and I just tested this: i got a new holding, gave away all the held-at-start holdings and titles, kept the titular empire. Still "Caliph"

Which is weird as they do have the ducal level title of Sunni Caliph as well. So there shouldn't be a reason for their titular empire to stay as a caliphate, but I guess that's if someone manages to rest the ducal title away from them to represent the schism?

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Eimi posted:

Which is weird as they do have the ducal level title of Sunni Caliph as well. So there shouldn't be a reason for their titular empire to stay as a caliphate, but I guess that's if someone manages to rest the ducal title away from them to represent the schism?

I haven't dug into the game files, but, at bold: the reason appears to be that "Caliph" is hardcoded to be the title of whoever holds the Empire of Cordoba

Verisimilitude-wise? Yeah, no reason.

Then again you did console yourself a claim on it, so don't be upset about shattered immersion :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

This is easily the best combat skill I've ever seen. Dudes killed a dozen people in combat already, he cuts down everyone he comes across on the battlefield. If anyone can go for the 30(?) kill achievement, it's this guy

e: just googled "best personal combat ck2" and wow 94 isn't even close lol. pretty good for non-norse tho, and it's definitely gonna get a boost from duel experience in the coming wars

I think the best I ever hit was just shy of 200 in my Mali game. The warrior lodges are OP AF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man, warrior lodge nicknames are loving aggressive. I hope you really like them, because they'll override whatever you have.