Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

amigolupus posted:

Aaaaand here's the start of one of the things I don't like about this case. Saying Shauna's biological dad is her "real dad" just bothers me a lot. It just feels so dismissive of the fact that Dan is Shauna's real dad for the past several years. He wants to adopt her and he's got a tattoo of Shauna on his arm, for crying out loud.
I can see why you would feel this way, but it also feels pretty natural that a teenager would say it that way.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Mary cheated on Dr Jeff in NYC and never faced any consequences.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Dogs don't sweat like that!

Rex Morgan MD

God these people are so full of themselves.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

What a dick. No wonder he lost in '04.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I want to rend Kelly limb from limb.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

Leonardo’s mom(?) is actually the daughter of Sam and Sunglasses Guy, who was just born on Mars. She has been a known time traveler for a while. I assume she just showed up one day.

BigDave posted:

Can we just take a step back and appreciate how much we have going on with the plot?

The protagonists have given birth to a time traveler and adopted the planet Mars with the help of a time traveling Leonardo da Vinci and a mermaid.

Alterian posted:

....but what about the mermaids being from mars! That's been completely forgotten. :argh:

I hate everything about these sentences.

But wait, if that's actually Leonardo da Vinci then wouldn't that mean time traveler mom dumps her kid back in the past when he grows up?:psyduck: Then again, being terrible parents seem par for the course with this hosed up family.

RandomPauI posted:

Thank god, I thought I was the only one bothered by the Rip Haywire "Lady" thing but didn't want to make a thing of it by bringing it up.

:hfive:

Johnny Walker posted:

I can see why you would feel this way, but it also feels pretty natural that a teenager would say it that way.

Thanks! :) It's just one of those things that really bugs me.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex's face on the last panel reminds me of the Yaranaika face.

Discendo Vox posted:

I want to rend Kelly limb from limb.

You can really tell a lovely Boomer wrote this because an actual Millennial or Gen Zer would be sympathetic to someone screwed over to do the same amount of work for a smaller wage.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Obligatory:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Things I hate.
Huh. Okay that explains a lot. Also I ended up digging into the history of Working Daze and it turns out it's had three different artists throughout its run, all of them actually capable of art, even this last one who had a better art style before just giving up and sinking into a lazy sketchy abstract style that continues to this day. But the writer has always been the same since the 90s and that makes me hate this strip even more. The LICD of workplace nonsense comic strips.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

I hate everything about these sentences.

But wait, if that's actually Leonardo da Vinci then wouldn't that mean time traveler mom dumps her kid back in the past when he grows up?:psyduck: Then again, being terrible parents seem par for the course with this hosed up family.

Before they went to Mars the mother stood in front of said child, *poof*ed a trip into the future to learn medicine and then reappeared an old lady after a second in his timeframe.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

She's his nanny, not his mother, which means she's basically kidnapped him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I want to make a collection of these isolated Rex Morgan Saying Things panels and create a giant strip where he recites the Galt speech.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Huh. Okay that explains a lot. Also I ended up digging into the history of Working Daze and it turns out it's had three different artists throughout its run, all of them actually capable of art, even this last one who had a better art style before just giving up and sinking into a lazy sketchy abstract style that continues to this day. But the writer has always been the same since the 90s and that makes me hate this strip even more. The LICD of workplace nonsense comic strips.

You missed back in the old days where the artist wrote this long-rear end unnecessarily Wikipedia page like WD was some super-well-know and deep strip.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You missed back in the old days where the artist wrote this long-rear end unnecessarily Wikipedia page like WD was some super-well-know and deep strip.
Oh it's all still there, that's how I found out about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Daze

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hostile V posted:

Oh it's all still there, that's how I found out about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Daze

That's actually cut way down from how "Scottartist" (:thunk:)left it after a long string of edits in 2010:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Working_Daze&oldid=381492286

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

amigolupus posted:

Thanks! :) It's just one of those things that really bugs me.

Yeah he's just speaking in character. Like when a case or two ago Lottie was an incredibly dismissive twerp to a store owner concerned about his business failing for lack of tourist patronage with some crack about "we have purchased one drink between us and perhaps if you are good we shall enjoy a single chip" or something. Just a tactless teenager.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

17th century Japan knew what's up :hmmyes:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

That's actually cut way down from how "Scottartist" (:thunk:)left it after a long string of edits in 2010:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Working_Daze&oldid=381492286
This is still one of my favorite parts of the article, because it's such an amazing insight to the "design process" of the strip.

quote:

The most familiar aspect of Roberts' Rita is the ever present water bottle in her fist. This appeared in the first week of new strip, and then on and off for while, until it became almost inseparable. When asked why it was there, Roberts explained that it was inspired by a piece in TIME Magazine about bottled water. The article indicated that women were more prone than men to carry it, and often as a fashion accessory. Roberts chose to make it more like a talisman for Rita, or a kind of security blanket. She is only complete when she has it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Nov. 28, 1997)

oof

I am slain

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Overboard

Monty

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 24, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 22, 1936)

Out Our Way (November 24-26,1932)

Toonerville Folks (October 5, 7 and 9, 1915)

Dok's Historical Duck (August 10-11, 1912)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

RandomPauI posted:

It looks like a penis with a face to me.

a gentle likpa

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
SKelly can get hosed.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

God these people are so full of themselves.
Well yeah, they're doctors. :v: (Or at least a doctor and...whatever Rex's wife does. Another doctor? A nurse?)

2014 Spiderman

1977 Definitely Not The Lizard

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Picking up My Dad is Dracula where I left off. It's not daily, so we should catch up sometime soonish. Also, Zits is really big for some reason.

My Dad is Dracula (10/8/18)

Pickles

Zits

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

but there is

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/05/15/uber-quiet-mode-option/3676710002/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hostile V posted:

Okay who the gently caress is this blonde lady that's just walking by in the background of all of these Working Daze strips and what the gently caress is the point of her doing so.

When you're trying to jam your fetish into your comic strip you need someone else to draw walking past in case all the main characters are sitting down.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 2/21/53

Mopsy 1/8/42

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That's a false equivalence, Deathany!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Stephen Collins

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Pandora is a terrible shot, or Craino thinks on his feet. Maybe not very well, but he does think on them, or Breakout!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Professor Wayne posted:

Picking up My Dad is Dracula where I left off. It's not daily, so we should catch up sometime soonish. Also, Zits is really big for some reason.

My Dad is Dracula (10/8/18)

Great to see this back and as good as it always was. :neckbeard:

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

:stonk:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

:staredog:
How did this comic actually get worse?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

V&W 's pretty cute in a hosed up way. :3:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Intimidation - FAILED
Diplomacy - FAILED

Nancy

Dustin

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Nov. 28, 1997)

God drat, Arlo and Janis is so good. It feels real without being schmaltzy or pandering.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Goddammit everyone knows what Trivial Pursuit is. Popular in the '80s? Well, yes, but also every decade since. If you're going to do a lazy "young people don't know about <thing>" joke at least pick something that's actually outdated or obsolete. Most young people probably still know what it is unless you're talking about actual children, but at least it's plausible that some young adults might not.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My guess is their gameboard is from the 80s and has all the appropriately dated references. Who could ever forget Jimmy Carter's vice president?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Based on the art that's Genus I edition and that's no joke to begin with but also impossibly dated for planing with your kids.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got a trivial pursuit version for kids back in the early 90's. It was still fun to play all the way through college with the dated early 90's pop culture questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp0YTEUSmxY