Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Labs don't gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/gWbckFd.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVD-P-77B24&t=47s

e: 3:40 is also choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqt7MjcyeAM&t=621s

holy poo poo he’s doing it in the rain

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 22, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

its fine he wears a helmet

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That kinda looks rad but I have no idea how he's not super dead from everything going on.

y i k e s.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Man dies after being crushed underneath car

That's really really sad. Kid in his 20s, working on his car, jack failed, kid dead.

quote:

On Thursday the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission issued a public warning about the risks of DIY car repairs.

It said 120 people had died since 2000 as a result of DIY car repairs, with many hundreds more injured

"We want to get the message out that people should never get under a vehicle supported only by a jack, they should always use support stands or ramps, and chocks"

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

quote:

"We want to get the message out that people should never get under a vehicle supported only by a jack, they should always use support stands or ramps, and chocks"
and not be stupid.

Edit: Warning, the video "Rolls Royce falls on mechanic" has a car falling on an mechanic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sS-CXe-z9A

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 23, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's why each of my jack stands supports 3 tons.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I think that car weighs something like 5600 lbs/2550 kg and that guy is mega dead

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Apparently there was a significant accidental release of Cesium 137 at an off-site research lab for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle a month ago.

http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2019/06/an-extraordinarily-severe-emergency-the-radioactive-leak-at-harborview/

They've got it cleaned up now. I guess that's why there were trucks with the radiation trefoil moving north on I5 last month.

Maybe they needed a better tool than an unsecured angle grinder to cut the pins securing the source. The article characterizes their planning process in a way that it looks inadequate to cope with the hazard.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sex Skeleton posted:

Apparently there was a significant accidental release of Cesium 137 at an off-site research lab for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle a month ago.

http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2019/06/an-extraordinarily-severe-emergency-the-radioactive-leak-at-harborview/

They've got it cleaned up now. I guess that's why there were trucks with the radiation trefoil moving north on I5 last month.

Maybe they needed a better tool than an unsecured angle grinder to cut the pins securing the source. The article characterizes their planning process in a way that it looks inadequate to cope with the hazard.

Huh, I've been in that loading dock/alley a bunch.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

a kitten posted:

Huh, I've been in that loading dock/alley a bunch.

Did you paint your face and teeth with any pretty glowing blue powder?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Did you paint your face and teeth with any pretty glowing blue powder?

All because Herbie was playing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powershift posted:

e: Speaking of getting fired......

I'm pretty sure a Volvo VNL with a sleeper clocks in around 19,000 lbs give or take, and I haven't ever seen a F-550 rollback rated for more than 12,000...

Does it look like the back bumper is actually on the ground or just almost there?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gas, water and electricity

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
It's like rock paper scissors.

Gas beats electric
Water beats gas
Electric beats water?

No maybe not

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Sex Skeleton posted:

This wasn't the only oopsie recently. In this case, the ironic part is DOE has been retrieving these Cs-137 sources because they're in a dispersible salt form and so dangerous, with Co-60 in metallic form being the preferred source these days. In fact there's a giant spent fuel pool where most of these recalled sources are stored awaiting a permanent disposal site.

The more nasty incident that got some high-level people fired was this....

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/radioactive-material-closes-middle-school-piketon/5fSqP5JFvEalQPhYiiJLsM/

Arguably a much less dangerous release, the fact that it was a school made the local community flip the gently caress out.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wasabi the J posted:

That kinda looks rad but I have no idea how he's not super dead from everything going on.

All the wires that he's holding and riding on are at the same potential

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I know you all want to watch someone wash windows for 16 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8i4H-GW0s

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

RabbitWizard posted:

and not be stupid.

Can we at least tag videos of people being killed or maimed?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

jetz0r posted:

I know you all want to watch someone wash windows for 16 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8i4H-GW0s

No I do not

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

iospace posted:

I recoiled when I finally noticed the electrical outlet.

other points:
draping the electrical cable over the gas pipe to where the cable is slightly pinching the plug (not sure how to explain what I mean with that)
zip-tie the electric and the gas together right next to the fire suppression system instead of giving it space
and while I'm talking about space for the fire suppression system that all is way too close together.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 23, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wolrah posted:

I'm pretty sure a Volvo VNL with a sleeper clocks in around 19,000 lbs give or take, and I haven't ever seen a F-550 rollback rated for more than 12,000...

Does it look like the back bumper is actually on the ground or just almost there?

Yeah, probably.

I'm guessing they were just loading it on to a deck trailer because there is no way that would drive down the road without breaking something/someone.

On the other hand, people do unbelievably dumb poo poo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

wolrah posted:

It looks like the tiniest bump could send the little truck's steer tires into the air. It needs a wheelie bar.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

It looks like the tiniest bump could send the little truck's steer tires into the air. It needs a wheelie bar.

It's got one, brother.

Just strap the wheel dollies to it and you're good to go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

From Beauty and the Beast.

Oh apparently (after a quick BingTM Image Search) he's the guy from the memes. I always thought he was from Pocahontas :newlol:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powershift posted:

It's got one, brother.

Just strap the wheel dollies to it and you're good to go.
I'm just going to assume that there's a warning buzzer in the cab* that warns "DO NOT DRIVE WHILE WHEEL DOLLIE IS IN LOWERED POSITION" to complete the OSHA effect of warning buzzers going off and the operator thinking "I'm only going 5 miles, NBD"

*my current truck has a buzzer when I deflate the rear air bags to lower the 5th wheel to get under a trailer. It's nice and reminds me to re-inflate the airbags before travelling. I had a truck without a buzzer, went over a big highway bump and destroyed the plastic part that attaches to a metal rod control arm that controls the airbags, and drove 15 miles going "why the hell is the truck handling weird?" Lesson learned.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

I remember working the night shift at Zellers super sleep deprived and super high, and we didn't have those tools to move the shelves. We just pushed, over and over. The screeching of metal against linoleum for 6 hours a night still haunts my dreams. Probably should have worn ear protection.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The only buzzer my truck had was for the inter-axle lock. You were free to rip down the highway with your diffs locked and PTO on and bags dumped.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeI_BpAfr8

The number of times these guys do something stupid (or start wondering aloud if they just did something potentially lethal because they don't know how any chemicals actually react) is terrifying. I love it.

What would be the fumes they breathed in from the mixing process?

One of these dudes just nearly cut his thumb off in a video that should be shown in its entirety in a safety course as an example of how not to use any cutting implement. Then the other guy removes his stitches in a half-finished house, all while the text on screen mocks them for doing all of these things. I think "being unsafe while acknowledging you are and laughing about it" is now just a marketing strategy on youtube for these kinds of channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LQlQ2Q2-E

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Hmm, I assume every video itt could contain that, I mean it's not the Schadenfreude thread.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I thought the rule already was "no snuff" and that people being obviously maimed or crippled fell into that?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

iospace posted:

This reminds me of a time I visited my uncle at his new house in the boonies of NC. He was really in to HAM radio and had built this huge ring antenna around his new place and I was helping him run the cabling where it would go to the TX inside the house. For some reason he'd rigged the cabling directly above his propane tanks so it was just barely above the valves (and for some reason the tanks were right next to the house).

Even as a dumbass 18 year old kid, I was like "this is probably not a good idea". He seemed to think it was fine so I ended up leaving a little early to head home. He ended up selling that place after a couple of years--surprisingly it never burned down despite a bunch of other fun OSHA poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

One of these dudes just nearly cut his thumb off in a video that should be shown in its entirety in a safety course as an example of how not to use any cutting implement. Then the other guy removes his stitches in a half-finished house, all while the text on screen mocks them for doing all of these things. I think "being unsafe while acknowledging you are and laughing about it" is now just a marketing strategy on youtube for these kinds of channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LQlQ2Q2-E

They hurt themselves enough through doing things they know nothing about that they have an injury counter that has to get rolled back every 8 days or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFzxUUi9BU

Somehow the actual use of thermite is where they did the least amount of stupid stuff.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

iospace posted:

The holy household trinity. Very efficient. Very not up to code.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Blindeye posted:

This wasn't the only oopsie recently. In this case, the ironic part is DOE has been retrieving these Cs-137 sources because they're in a dispersible salt form and so dangerous, with Co-60 in metallic form being the preferred source these days. In fact there's a giant spent fuel pool where most of these recalled sources are stored awaiting a permanent disposal site.

The more nasty incident that got some high-level people fired was this....

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/radioactive-material-closes-middle-school-piketon/5fSqP5JFvEalQPhYiiJLsM/

Arguably a much less dangerous release, the fact that it was a school made the local community flip the gently caress out.

Holy poo poo. It sounds like they applied a safe exposure level designed for adults to a school full of children. There's a ton of negligence on the part of the DOE in that article.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Sex Skeleton posted:

Holy poo poo. It sounds like they applied a safe exposure level designed for adults to a school full of children. There's a ton of negligence on the part of the DOE in that article.

To be fair, they never discuss the levels found in the school. Air monitors are extremely sensitive, finding the barest traces of contamination. Uranium and Neptunium in particular are long lived isotopes so they actually are not very radioactive; the main hazard would be heavy metal toxicity. Also considering the latency period for cancer, it would be unlikely to see low level exposure to cause childhood cancers. More likely, contamination from operating the plant for decades and other local industrial contaminants are more likely causes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

null_pointer posted:

I thought the rule already was "no snuff" and that people being obviously maimed or crippled fell into that?

I think you're thinking of the PYF schadenfreude thread, IIRC this thread never had a "no snuff" rule due to the subject matter, but I think it'd probably be a good idea to have severe or graphic injury/death warnings going forward.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blindeye posted:

To be fair, they never discuss the levels found in the school. Air monitors are extremely sensitive, finding the barest traces of contamination. Uranium and Neptunium in particular are long lived isotopes so they actually are not very radioactive; the main hazard would be heavy metal toxicity. Also considering the latency period for cancer, it would be unlikely to see low level exposure to cause childhood cancers. More likely, contamination from operating the plant for decades and other local industrial contaminants are more likely causes.

Parents with mental disorders collecting air monitor readings in the vicinity of schools is a state pastime in Colorado. The news stations loving love a good story about "this school within 50 miles of an EPA remediation site has measurable amounts of radiation in its air!" Same deal for "cancer clusters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m curious how far down/in he was, and what on earth he’s able to do there under those conditions.

https://i.imgur.com/Q8AT3rS.mp4