Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

A Bad Poster posted:

I forget who it was, but I recall being told a story by someone who would test the TSA at airports by trying to get onto planes with drugs and stuff. They generally caught him at the x-ray, but multiple times he'd make it to the gate, ready to board a plane that he wasn't supposed to get on, and had to call security on himself.

How the gently caress did he not get arrested for stunts like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arban posted:

How the gently caress did he not get arrested for stunts like that?

I assume it's a guy whose job is to test security, not some random yahoo carrying a bag of weed onboard for shits and giggles.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

A Bad Poster posted:

I forget who it was, but I recall being told a story by someone who would test the TSA at airports by trying to get onto planes with drugs and stuff. They generally caught him at the x-ray, but multiple times he'd make it to the gate, ready to board a plane that he wasn't supposed to get on, and had to call security on himself.

My wife worked as a TSA cargo Inspector years ago.
It was a non-uniformed position that mostly did compliance inspections on shipping entities that used commercial passenger flights to ship cargos. A component of the job was getting shippers to mail packages out of protocol that contained inert bad things. Another was component was assisting passenger flight inspectors by bringing weapons thru security checkpoints to board flights. (Since the cargo folks were largely unknown to the TSA checkers) I think it was a 96% non detection rate for knives, inert devices and pistols, etc.
It would curl your toes to know how easy it is apparently. Or at least was.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I assume it's a guy whose job is to test security, not some random yahoo carrying a bag of weed onboard for shits and giggles.

Yeah, this, sorry for not being more clear.

It really does inform you that all the bullshit that you have to put up with at an airport is just an illusion of security, and should make you question what the real purpose for it is.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, this, sorry for not being more clear.

It really does inform you that all the bullshit that you have to put up with at an airport is just an illusion of security, and should make you question what the real purpose for it is.

The security theater is for boomers who don’t fly often, they vote and feel “safer” having long rear end lines for security at the airport.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arban posted:

Thanks. wonder if there are similar numbers for other countries or if it's just the TSA being crap at their job.

It's the TSA specifically. They're security theatre meant to make people think airports are heavily guarded now, but they're poorly trained and have high turnover so even the ones who do get good at their jobs are often gone shortly after. There's also a lot of power trippers looking for an excuse to grab people and treat them like terrorists.

Karl from InRange (one of the very few non-chud gun YouTube channels that often does videos on the 19th century oppression of Native Americans and the Underground Railroad) came back from Finland for filming to find that his passport had been flagged, possibly because he's made a lot of anti-government statements on videos with a lot of views. He doesn't have any criminal record or affiliations with any groups other than chilling with the Church of Satan, but he was detained for hours for no reason given and they attempted to force him to unlock his phone so they could go through it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The cruelty is the point, the TSA exists to keep minorities and dissidents in line and everyone else feeling like they could be next if they don't watch it

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

shovelbum posted:

The cruelty is the point, the TSA exists to keep minorities and dissidents in line and everyone else feeling like they could be next if they don't watch it

Lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nystral posted:

The security theater is for boomers who don’t fly often, they vote and feel “safer” having long rear end lines for security at the airport.

Boomers are hardly the only generation pushing for dependency upon the gov't for "safety."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
One of the things they do at the x-ray scanners you put your carry-on bag through is show a fake image of a bag with a gun in it. It's to "keep them on their toes" or whatever. Turns out, you get inured to it and stop giving a poo poo, or see a real gun but it's the 11th hour you've been there so you think it's a fake.

And now airports here are starting to get the backscatter machines with AI bag scanning. Because automation will solve everything you guys!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's ridiculous easy to get a knife or gun on a plane passed TSA. I've had two friends that have made it though TSA checkpoints with guns in their bags on accident and have gotten through.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A former colleague of mine flew home for the weekend with his navy backpack that he hadn't cleaned out after coming back from the shooting range the day before.

So he flies Bergen-Oslo-Bergen over a weekend, no one bats an eye at his bag, it even got X-rayed at 2 different airports.

Gets back to base, and finds his 9mm glock in the backpack... Then proceeds to shoot a hole in the ceiling while clearing it :downs:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just pay the bribe and go to the fast line.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Coming back through Atlanta from France, my wife got stopped for a loving souvenir snow globe. She was telling the TSA lady it was less than 2 ounces and the lady goes "Ma'am (I'm not allowed to say bitch tone), we could be here all night if you want" So we empty a carryon and check it through.

As we walk to the gate, I realize I have a mostly full bottle of water in my coat. I didn't tell her. Until long after we'd gotten home.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
You don't have to throw away your water bottles on Aus domestic flights, but people are so used to it by now they had to put water bottle bins at the security point, because people were leaving them stacked up on the counters and making a mess.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
loving running late for military flight (the whole bus was) and ended up having to throw away a $40 pliers-wrench because the post office wasn't open yet.

Because it was 1/4 inch too long overall for TSA.

loving forgot it in my backpack instead of putting it in the duffel.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 23, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

loving running late for military flight (the whole bus was) and ended up having to throw away a $40 pliers-wrench because the post office wasn't open yet.

Because it was 1/4 inch too long overall for TSA.

loving forgot it in my backpack instead of putting it in the duffel.

I'd be pissed. I have those exact ones linked- they are fantastic.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was. Legitimately fuming mad because we processed through TSA as a big army-rear end group. Had people with knives and poo poo make it too; I just got the wrong agent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only time I've been stopped and frisked by the TSA was my first flight when I had my paper boarding pass in my pocket. Turns out the system flags anything that doesn't look exactly like a naked human body so a single folded piece of paper gives them a warning.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

The only time I've been stopped and frisked by the TSA was my first flight when I had my paper boarding pass in my pocket. Turns out the system flags anything that doesn't look exactly like a naked human body so a single folded piece of paper gives them a warning.

It could've been RFID or mag striped. I'm not an expert though

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I nearly got detained at SFO back in 2007 because I arrived the country on a loving boat and they couldn't find me in the immigration system when I was trying to leave the country to go home on leave. Turns out my XO gave me a NATO travel order for a reason :downs:

We also had two idiots (read: junior officers) end up at an afterparty in Tijuana after a particularly hard night out, completely forgetting (or ignoring) explicit orders to NOT GO TO MEXICO, FOR ANY REASON, EVER. The XO was OOD that Sunday, which meant they didn't have to spend all day at the border crossing, but I suspect they regretted both A) going to Mexico and B) coming back after they got back on board to the sweet embrace of our livid XO. We could hear him yelling across half the boat, which is somewhat of a feat considering we were on a 440 ft long frigate.

Turns out that if you don't have a VISA/green card, but still have your military ID, you can get a loving NATO travel order FAXed to the border crossing and still get in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

Air transport security is a thin theatrical veneer.

chitoryu12 posted:

he was detained for hours for no reason given and they attempted to force him to unlock his phone so they could go through it.
This started to happen to a lawyer I know. Turns out TSA gets real confused when the phone rings in the middle of an interview (because after the first time, lawyer scheduled a call on landing), and on the line is the lawyer's lawyer, telling them to gently caress off please and thank you. There's a million tales of journos and human rights advocate types getting harassed up to the point where the TSA mini-fuhrer has to put up or shut up, and they 100% shut up when confronted with semi-competent counsel.

Dingleberry posted:

I think it was a 96% non detection rate for knives, inert devices and pistols, etc.
It would curl your toes to know how easy it is apparently. Or at least was.
Doesn't matter when the detection rate for knives is when cardboard and 5mn epoxy are legal to bring on.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 23, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

This started to happen to a lawyer I know. Turns out TSA gets real confused when the phone rings in the middle of an interview (because after the first time, lawyer scheduled a call on landing), and on the line is the lawyer's lawyer, telling them to gently caress off please and thank you. There's a million tales of journos and human rights advocate types getting harassed up to the point where the TSA mini-fuhrer has to put up or shut up, and they 100% shut up when confronted with semi-competent counsel.

Speaking of that https://theintercept.com/2019/06/22/cbp-border-searches-journalists/

quote:

Around the three-hour mark, I became completely passive. Confinement in a blank room is a soft form of torture, especially if you suffer from a crippling caffeine addiction, as I do. They were “fresh out” when I demeaned myself by meekly requesting coffee. For a long time, I sat slumped in the chair with a mounting headache while Moncivias finished typing up his report on me. He would pause, carefully consult something on my phone, and then go back to typing. This went on for another hour.

It was around 4 p.m. when Moncivias finally finished up and informed me, anticlimactically, that I was free to go. I couldn’t wait to get outside because the detention area was freezing. No wonder Spanish-speaking migrants call CBP detention la hielera — the icebox. I took my phone and laptop and silently packed up my luggage, which still lay disemboweled on the desk, underwear and all. Pomeroy was gone by this time. As I was walking out, I said to Moncivias and Villarreal, “It’s funny, of all the countries I’ve been to, the border guards have never treated me worse than here, in the one country I’m a citizen of, in the town where I was born.”

“Welcome back to the USA,” Moncivias said.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

It could've been RFID or mag striped. I'm not an expert though

It was just a printed-out boarding pass with nothing special. They now specifically say to also remove all paper from your pockets, so the scanner is clearly unable to actually identify just what's on your body beyond an anomaly.

Oh yeah, and Orlando International has been inconsistently banning people from going through security more than 2 hours before their flight for no apparent reason, which really sucks for the restaurants!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

"We're not arresting or charging you, but you can't have counsel or leave" what the gently caress.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

chitoryu12 posted:

It was just a printed-out boarding pass with nothing special. They now specifically say to also remove all paper from your pockets, so the scanner is clearly unable to actually identify just what's on your body beyond an anomaly.

This poo poo is weird to me, because I absolutely refuse to be parted from my ID or boarding pass for any amount of time when I'm in an airport.

I always just stick both of them together into a pocket and go through the body scanner; I've never once had one spot either item. Same with my military ID while I was in; I was kind of surprised that the scanners didn't at least pick up the CAC.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MRC48B posted:

"We're not arresting or charging you, but you can't have counsel or leave" what the gently caress.

quote:

“Welcome back to the USA,” Moncivias said.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

This poo poo is weird to me, because I absolutely refuse to be parted from my ID or boarding pass for any amount of time when I'm in an airport.

I always just stick both of them together into a pocket and go through the body scanner; I've never once had one spot either item. Same with my military ID while I was in; I was kind of surprised that the scanners didn't at least pick up the CAC.

Never expect the TSA to be consistent.

Totally not taking any steps toward a fascist dictatorship though, guys. We're just living life! It's cool!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, and Orlando International has been inconsistently banning people from going through security more than 2 hours before their flight for no apparent reason, which really sucks for the restaurants!

Fuckin lol.

TSA on even days: "If you don't show up at least two hours early and you miss your flight, it's your fault!"

TSA on odd days: "Why are you showing up two hours early, wait out here in the hallway you weirdo."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don’t do the body scanner. I go for the pat down every time. gently caress you, I’m not gonna be a statistics in ten years when you realize once again that those useless ducking things are shooting five time as much radiation as they should, again.

Also sometimes the guy doesn’t want to pay you down and waves you through.

It annoys the gently caress out of my gf, but I still get through security faster than her.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I have gotten "randomly selected for additional screening" literally every time I've gone through security at an American airport, even when I do TSA Pre-check. I'm not exaggerating, it's every single time. Luckily when I drive across the border they never seem to give a poo poo, they just give off an air of "gently caress you for making me be here, why would you leave the US anyway."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what’s the deal with this if you have a (civilian) security clearance? On the one hand I’m just enough of a prick to tell a TSA agent who wants into my phone to pound sand and deal with the delay and bullshit, on the other hand I like having a job and paying rent.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what’s the deal with this if you have a (civilian) security clearance? On the one hand I’m just enough of a prick to tell a TSA agent who wants into my phone to pound sand and deal with the delay and bullshit, on the other hand I like having a job and paying rent.

Not to be snarky but there shouldn't be any clearance worthy info on your personal phone is what I suspect the answer would be.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It is never not okay to tell TSA rent-a-cops to gently caress off

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

King of Bees posted:

Not to be snarky but there shouldn't be any clearance worthy info on your personal phone is what I suspect the answer would be.

Yeah that’s not the concern. I just wonder if telling TSA to gently caress off to somehow be a bad thing clearance-wise like getting arrested or whatever.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I wonder how TSA would interact with HIPAA, and how brazen they'd be about violating it on a doctor's phone?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I went though at least two airports (probably more, it was years ago) and literally around the would before, without any awareness of it being there or any attempt to conceal or hide it.

It's easy to act natural when carrying illegal poo poo on airplanes when you completely forget that you had that illegal poo poo to begin with. My sister flew from Oregon to Texas, and then to New York, and finally back to Oregon (so passing through a security checkpoint at least 4 times) with a half-smoked joint in her bag and didn't realize she had it til she got back home.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I wonder how TSA would interact with HIPAA, and how brazen they'd be about violating it on a doctor's phone?

I don't know, but somewhere a dozen lawyers just got boners over the billable hours.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

CBP just got broken into in a real bad way, for the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

You think they can even spell HIPAA? They won’t give a gently caress, and they’ll win any lawsuits filed against them because that’s the country we’ve become.