Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Why do people keep restating the events of the story like it's gonna make it good if it "makes sense".

I liked it, but I agree it wasn't good. I liked Trish and agree with her view, and ended up hating nearly everyone else because Trish is meant to be the bad guy.

The more I think about it, it feels very "women are driven by emotion and sane rational man has the upper hand. Women start thinking like a rational man and they begin to succeed" but it's been a while since I have watched

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Gaunab posted:

Does anyone want to hear my ideas? No? Ok.

Can't be worse than mine so go hog wild.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sloth Life posted:

I liked it, but I agree it wasn't good. I liked Trish and agree with her view, and ended up hating nearly everyone else because Trish is meant to be the bad guy.

Personally I don't mind Trish being the villain considering she was already evil by the end of season 2, but they decided to walk that back for an annoyingly long time this season, only to go "Actually she IS evil" as if it's a big surprise. Yeah she already shot the main character's mother in the head while she was just sitting there, you can't unring that bell.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lurdiak posted:

Personally I don't mind Trish being the villain considering she was already evil by the end of season 2, but they decided to walk that back for an annoyingly long time this season, only to go "Actually she IS evil" as if it's a big surprise. Yeah she already shot the main character's mother in the head while she was just sitting there, you can't unring that bell.

Counterpoint: Jessica's mom sucked and her death was a relief!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have a dumb fixation about the (lack of) connections between the Netflix series and the movies. Because of its themes of dealing with trauma, Jessica Jones could have been one of the best series to explore life after the Snap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Counterpoint: Jessica's mom sucked and her death was a relief!

I mean that entire season sucked but shooting someone in the head while they're facing away from you not doing anything is completely a bad guy thing to do, doesn't matter how badly-written they are.

Dr Christmas posted:

I have a dumb fixation about the (lack of) connections between the Netflix series and the movies. Because of its themes of dealing with trauma, Jessica Jones could have been one of the best series to explore life after the Snap.

I'm sure all the tv actors are even more annoyed about it than you are.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Jessica being willing to let a mass murderer walk free just because it was her mother, was at best incredibly stupid and hypocritical, and at worst directly evil. Trish directly murdering her was also pretty hosed up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Budfy season 6 except its over two seasons.

Season one was Buffy season 2 after Angel vecomes Angelus.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I would have loved to see Jess with a wall of missing posters, trying to figure out who was gone, and how. Luke Cage being on there, "I've seen him take a shot gun to the head.. and they say he just vanished into dust." That probably would have taken a bigger budget.

I didn't mind the season. It wasn't the best one. Better than Season 2.

I can see how Jess would make a bunch of mistakes with Fool Killer.. because, she's a drunken mess half the time, and that was before she didn't have a spleen. Stability and good choices aren't her strong suit, and Foolkiller hit the worst button, he took her strength away, he made her feel vulnerable and weak. Her being stupid was more to try and gain what he took away from her back, and she did. After that, she protected Foolkiller, who was vulnerable, despite his disgusting her from Trish.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

Jessica being willing to let a mass murderer walk free just because it was her mother, was at best incredibly stupid and hypocritical, and at worst directly evil. Trish directly murdering her was also pretty hosed up.

I think there's a more sympathetic reading of Jess's tolerance of her mother. She's misguided, yeah, but she's motivated by a need to fix herself and her mother, and by the belief that it's possible to do so.

Obviously it's not. Trauma recovery involves accepting that you can never have the same life as a neurotypical person. Jessica can never be a superhero because there's too much missing. Sure, she can live a good life, and she can be happy -- if she puts in the work -- but even if she does she'll never be Captain America. (I think the contrast between the two is why he, of all the Avengers, is the one the show constantly references.) Being a superhero is a life permanently cut off to her, and the moment she accepts that reality is the moment she actually improves.

AKA Jessica isn't stupid, she's mentally ill.

This all said, I can see why goons who wanted a superhero show would hate this kind of thing. But it speaks to me, so I'm ultimately very happy with it.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I didn't think this season was entirely bad. Definitely inferior to season one and better than season 2. For whatever reason, Jessica Jones has struggled with these see-saw character arcs that just get ridiculous after a point. In season 1, it was Jessica trying to make Kilgrave a hero for an episode or stopping Sampson from killing him. Season 2 was Jessica's mom, and season 3 had Jessica totally inconsistent with her interactions Trish. They should've fallen out once, instead of 3 times or whatever.

One thing I did like was Trish's rapid descent after the murder of her mother. It felt like a heel turn that was pretty well earned (in my opinion, it would've worked even better without Trish murdering Jessica's mom last season). I wish they hadn't had Trish attempt to justify herself to Jessica over and over, mostly because it glosses over the trauma she just went through. I wish they had ended it with Trish just out there, hunting people.

It also had the same problems that every MCU show for Netflix has had - over long (it should've been cut by half, or maybe a little less).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Also Mindwave should've gone heel too and it should've happened quicker.

Honestly I think that 2 passes down they actually make Hogarth a full active villain and keep Trish too.

If Netflix Marvel persisted, they definitely were working towards a breakout story right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pastamania posted:

Just finished S3. If you pay attention, you can spot the exact moment the word that they were closing Netflix Marvel got to the production office and they stopped bothering doing any new drafts of the scripts.

I got this distinct feeling from Punisher S2 as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oasx posted:

Jessica being willing to let a mass murderer walk free just because it was her mother, was at best incredibly stupid and hypocritical, and at worst directly evil.

She wasn't, though, she spent so much time trying to get her to turn herself in. Now, it was a really bad idea for a season-long arc to not have an actual direct villain, but at least Jessica stayed consistent as a character throughout, unlike Trish who turned into a psycho.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Moriatti posted:

Also Mindwave should've gone heel too and it should've happened quicker.

Honestly I think that 2 passes down they actually make Hogarth a full active villain and keep Trish too.

If Netflix Marvel persisted, they definitely were working towards a breakout story right?

Would have been cool if so!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lurdiak posted:

I mean that entire season sucked but shooting someone in the head while they're facing away from you not doing anything is completely a bad guy thing to do, doesn't matter how badly-written they are.

*sigh* Of Mice and Men...

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ddap2Pyhtw :smith:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So this thread going to change into The Umbrella Academy instead?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lid posted:

So this thread going to change into The Umbrella Academy instead?

Could just change it to Marvel TV, or Marvel Streaming now that Loki and Falcon/Bucky are getting their own shows idk

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Would be cleaner to let it die and make a new thread with a fresh OP for that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 22, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every show needs its own OP, so the Not!Magic of Ghost Rider doesn't taint the Not!Magic of Loki and neither of them end up contaminating The Adventures of Captain Falcon and The Winter Soldier.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm trying to watch JJ S3 but I hate Trish and the second episode is an entire episode devoted to her and I really, I'm struggling ya'll

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Nothing said in the past week has me itching to watch the finale of the Netflix series. I'm still going to I fear, but it's gonna be eyerolly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Watch the Umbrella Academy y'all if you havent. Its a surprisingly well acted meld of X-Men and Watchmen of all things. It might go off the rails after season one like so many other off-brand superhero shows, looking at you Legion, but for the season that exists its a very well formed universe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lid posted:

It might go off the rails after season one like so many other off-brand superhero shows, looking at you Legion, but for the season that exists its a very well formed universe.

The cool thing about Umbrella is how batshit insane and out there the source material is. I got whiplash form enjoying the show and buying the trade and realizing holy gently caress they toned down the hell out of this comic. The show going off the rails would only bring it closer to the actual comics and it would rule

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Koalas March posted:

Could just change it to Marvel TV, or Marvel Streaming now that Loki and Falcon/Bucky are getting their own shows idk

Yah I can change it to Marvel streaming later if everyone's cool w that. Or we can just do a new thread or w/e

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Yah I can change it to Marvel streaming later if everyone's cool w that. Or we can just do a new thread or w/e

I vote new thread and OP. Leave the dubious quality of the Netflix stuff in their own thread. Shield has its own thread, C&D and Runaways have their own, Inhumans didn’t deserve its own thread. Let the stink of Scotty Buck end here. Daredevil was cool then halfway cool then cool again, Punisher was good then farted out a second season. Luke Cage was great before Diamondback then had a decent second season. JJ was great for the first season but it blew it as well. Iron Fist was god awful and the Defenders managed to waste everyone involved, especially Sigourney Weaver. Let’s just move on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

I vote new thread tbh. Fresh start on a fresh platform.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The cool thing about Umbrella is how batshit insane and out there the source material is. I got whiplash form enjoying the show and buying the trade and realizing holy gently caress they toned down the hell out of this comic.

This is also why I like, but am lukewarm to the show. It's too safe while falling short of quota in both tentacles and fishbowl helmets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Defenders and the death of the netflix-verse gives us a glimpse of what would've happened if Marvel Studios had hosed up Avengers.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Sloth Life posted:

Can't be worse than mine so go hog wild.

Ok, here goes. If I had control of season 3 I would have made T. Mary Jessica's primary antagonist. I would have had mindwave fridged in the first episode by Foolkiller because I hated him and also so Jess could have motivation to spend a few episodes tracking him. She'd expose him but then Mary would kill him and gain all the glory. They could have Mary work with some obscure marvel lawyer villain as a sort of masked Mascot/mercenary and have that firm go against Hogarth's; maybe it's trying to become the superhero firm of New York or something? Trish could join as a properly masked Hellcat managed by here mom so she could still be at odds with Jess. Yada, yada, yada. It wouldn't be groundbreaking but I think it'd be a better way to explore some of the same ideas the season sort of touched on.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This nerdlinger is the least interesting villain yet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Von_Doom posted:

I vote new thread and OP. Leave the dubious quality of the Netflix stuff in their own thread. Shield has its own thread, C&D and Runaways have their own, Inhumans didn’t deserve its own thread. Let the stink of Scotty Buck end here. Daredevil was cool then halfway cool then cool again, Punisher was good then farted out a second season. Luke Cage was great before Diamondback then had a decent second season. JJ was great for the first season but it blew it as well. Iron Fist was god awful and the Defenders managed to waste everyone involved, especially Sigourney Weaver. Let’s just move on.

Iron Fist season 2 was good, I would certainly put it in the top five of best marvel Netflix seasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Foolkiller is also usually just a murderer in the comics, but he's so loving weird and interesting, and he dresses like a complete idiot, while this tv version is just generic serial killer. Like you wanna explore themes of deciding who lives or dies, the original Foolkiller thought he was appointed by God himself to kill everyone in the world who was immoral or a fool, and his body count is triple that of the tv version's in his very first appearance.

But no it's probably better if he's a guy with a knife who takes pictures of people.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The cool thing about Umbrella is how batshit insane and out there the source material is. I got whiplash form enjoying the show and buying the trade and realizing holy gently caress they toned down the hell out of this comic. The show going off the rails would only bring it closer to the actual comics and it would rule

Yeah but the comic is extremely bad and the show is good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sounds good re: someone making a new OP for Marvel Streaming stuff when needed. This thread can stay open 'til we run out of stuff to discuss or complain about.

Also Umbrella Academy has a thread if people want to discuss that show, 'cause it lowkey owned!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Von_Doom posted:

I mean, as good as Cloak and Dagger is, it was aslow thread. I kinda feel it maybe being part of a larger Marvel megathread would be fine. And hopefully get more people watching it.

(Watch Cloak & Dagger)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Could just be a Marvel Television general, and then if needed specific shows can have their own threads.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

esperterra posted:

Sounds good re: someone making a new OP for Marvel Streaming stuff when needed. This thread can stay open 'til we run out of stuff to discuss or complain about.

Also Umbrella Academy has a thread if people want to discuss that show, 'cause it lowkey owned!

Except now looking at that thread its run by a clique of people thinking its the worst show ever? The gently caress? If i saw that thread id think the show was Inhumans level. The gently caress happened there? Is it just people pissed off no one cared about Doom Patrol?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Lid posted:

Except now looking at that thread its run by a clique of people thinking its the worst show ever? The gently caress? If i saw that thread id think the show was Inhumans level. The gently caress happened there? Is it just people pissed off no one cared about Doom Patrol?

Yeah I'm not posting in the atrociously bad troll hot take thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Don't worry I'll make a new thread when they drop a Season 2 trailer.