Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

Roommate: Who bought this terrible toilet paper?
Thanos: I've reduced the 2-ply down to 1.

Thanos: You may think that this is suffering. But this is salvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Roommate (voice heard behind door): "Thanos you rear end just give me another roll!

Thanos: "Your failure has brought you here, back to me :smuggo:"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a whim, I started watching that CG Iron Man cartoon that was a French co-production on Netflix... It's... Like, a bunch of the choices made in the premise are done well albeit they're bad choices to make. Like "what if Tony, Rhodey and Pepper are high school students, and so is the Mandarin and Madam Masque".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gaz-L posted:

On a whim, I started watching that CG Iron Man cartoon that was a French co-production on Netflix... It's... Like, a bunch of the choices made in the premise are done well albeit they're bad choices to make. Like "what if Tony, Rhodey and Pepper are high school students, and so is the Mandarin and Madam Masque".

The show has a fair few flaws but the best parts are the great mecha-inspired designs for the villains. Blizzard looks like something out of Metal Gear and Crimson Dynamo is a WH40K figure come to life.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Iron Monger is more what I'd say looks like Metal Gear. As in literally looks like Metal Gear Rex

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Bad choices well executed is a pretty good way to describe that Iron Man cartoon, yeah. Its ending is also pretty schlocky

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUh0aeMMt10

So the guardians of the galaxy cartoon has returned after a 13-month hiatus with a Black Vortex arc where every episode is 2 segments of a guardian trapped in some reality. Segment two of the episode they put online is Drax stuck working with J. Jonah Jameson as his photographer to get pictures, pictures of Drax-Man

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Bad choices well executed is a pretty good way to describe that Iron Man cartoon, yeah. Its ending is also pretty schlocky

I finished it and the thing that stood out the most to me is that they were clearly working towards "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!" as a big moment in the finale, and were clearly told "NO" by the higher ups. They even planted Cap in the first Extremis episode and nothing more is said of it, which would've been fine as just some flavour, but every other episode in that season has some other hero going "Hey, Iron Man, thanks for helping me, if YOU ever need help, I'll be there!"

Also, was that show the first time Pepper's armour had it's own colour scheme? I remember when it was introduced in the comics and it was just a weirdly curvy Iron Man suit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Also, was that show the first time Pepper's armour had it's own colour scheme? I remember when it was introduced in the comics and it was just a weirdly curvy Iron Man suit.

The Rescue armor in comics was red and silver as opposed to red and gold. Granted that's not much of a difference since Tony rocked red and silver for a long time but whatever.

Armored Adventures is such a weird show because it's not bad, but like, everything about it from the ground up like the premise and the reimaginings is just weird. In a way it reminds me of that Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon because it's like, "I guess this is technically the superhero I wanted to see but not like this..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It reminds me more of X-Men Evolution, where the premise reeks of someone in corporate going "it's a show for kids... make them teens at a regular high school!" and then the production team do their best, but start to rail against it. I guarantee if Armoured Adventures had gone for a 3rd season, they were going to ditch most of that premise and probably give Tony the beard and have something like his dad 'stepping back' from the company so it was basically just the Iron Man everyone knows.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUh0aeMMt10

So the guardians of the galaxy cartoon has returned after a 13-month hiatus with a Black Vortex arc where every episode is 2 segments of a guardian trapped in some reality. Segment two of the episode they put online is Drax stuck working with J. Jonah Jameson as his photographer to get pictures, pictures of Drax-Man

These two 10 minute segments have so much more life and character than literally every Marvel Animation production since Earth's Mightiest Heroes, my god.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheHan posted:

These two 10 minute segments have so much more life and character than literally every Marvel Animation production since Earth's Mightiest Heroes, my god.

Gamora the Disney Princess was fun, too. You'd think Guardians would be an easy show to make pop - just do fun dumb sci-fi in Cosmic Marvel - but I guess they've got a mandate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never understood the black vortex arc when they did it in the comics. They wanted to imply that there was some kind of evil, horrible cost, but they never demonstrated it. Everybody who used it just got ultimate power with no reprecussions beyond being in a poorly planned crossover event.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never understood the black vortex arc when they did it in the comics. They wanted to imply that there was some kind of evil, horrible cost, but they never demonstrated it. Everybody who used it just got ultimate power with no reprecussions beyond being in a poorly planned crossover event.

And I think only Young Angel kept his 'thing' but it didn't seem to do much.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What happened to the most recent Spider-Man cartoon? It's been a while since I've heard anything about it. I enjoyed that and want to see where the thing from the last episode is going.

Edit: well the first episode of season 2 started in June last year so I guess it might come back then.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 12, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

What happened to the most recent Spider-Man cartoon? It's been a while since I've heard anything about it. I enjoyed that and want to see where the thing from the last episode is going.

Edit: well the first episode of season 2 started in June last year so I guess it might come back then.

To be honest, it might be dead.

Disney and Marvel claim it's not...but it pretty much is?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I thought so. Well on the plus side that means they didn't feel the need to kill off Gwen.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I kinda dropped off of the new Spider-Man when the first season ended, partly because the second season got off to a pretty poor start but mostly cause I never knew when it was airing. I assumed with Disney+ coming they were working on smothering it in the crib to get to work on streaming exclusive content.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I had the same fears with Spider-man, but Guardians of the Galaxy got back from an even worse sudden hiatus (S3E13 aired on April 2018, and the next episode, the one i linked to, aired last week), so I'm guessing Spider-man's coming back in one to three months.

I'm assuming the second half of the second season of Spider-man's been finished for a while now, they've just been holding back on the marvel shows for some strange corporate reason.

But there's no way it gets renewed for a third season

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does XD just not have the programming roster?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
those guardians shorts are a lot of fun but really it just accentuates how lovely the actual show looks

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Reading up on wikipedia, the rest of this arc has aired and there's claymation, pixelart, cgi, black and white disney style, and... back to normal.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

And I think only Young Angel kept his 'thing' but it didn't seem to do much.

Gamora kept hers but apparently the power like burned out or something after she busted Angela out of space jail after Secret Wars.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

Gamora kept hers but apparently the power like burned out or something after she busted Angela out of space jail after Secret Wars.

That's some lovely cosmic artifact right there.

"Achieve your ultimate potential! Become who you were meant to be...
For Three months."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

The Question IRL posted:

That's some lovely cosmic artifact right there.

"Achieve your ultimate potential! Become who you were meant to be...
For Three months."

For comic book worlds, 3 months might as well be a lifetime, considering nothing is ever permanent.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/HiTopFilms/status/1130877018986487808

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I had the same fears with Spider-man, but Guardians of the Galaxy got back from an even worse sudden hiatus (S3E13 aired on April 2018, and the next episode, the one i linked to, aired last week), so I'm guessing Spider-man's coming back in one to three months.

I'm assuming the second half of the second season of Spider-man's been finished for a while now, they've just been holding back on the marvel shows for some strange corporate reason.

But there's no way it gets renewed for a third season

Turns out I was wrong, we are getting a third season

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/1134127363657216001

Rest of Season 2 should be a Superior Spider-man adaptation, then next year is this Venom stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

featuring Spidey's greatest enemy!

didn't know the symbiote could meld with a brick

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
To be honest, Venom is really not that great of a villain. And in the iteration Brock is even more of a pathetic loser than usually. He was so mad at Peter for having been given everything in his life. You know, orphan and notoriously unlucky screwup Peter Parker.
I'm pretty sure Venom was looking at a picture of Ben at that point.

But maybe they'll ditch Brock and give the symbiote to Flash.

Eddie Brock is garbage.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Eddie Brock being a garbage human being jealous of an orphaned teenager is why he's a good villain. That said, I feel this iteration's Eddie doesn't have the legs to carry a whole season, so Flash becoming Venom would be welcome.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This isn’t Ultimate Spider-Man any more right?
Is the new cartoon any good or is it more of the same super bland trash they’ve been putting out for all of Marvel?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nah, Ultimate ended a few years back. Honestly, its final season was pretty nice. Straight up Spider-Family Adventures with Spidey, and Miles, and Flash Venom, and Kaine Scarlet Spider, but Amadeus Cho as Iron Spider.

I like the new one a lot. The first season is all about Peter and Harry slowly having a falling due to Norman's schemes. Second season is a bit uneven, but it'll probably refocus when it comes back and is all Superior Spider-man. It's also pretty anime.

The thing is that it focuses more on science stuff and getting some parts of the Spidey mythos quick. The setup is that Peter gets into Horizon... High. Maxxwel Modal's school for advanced science, where Peter meets Gwen, Anya and Miles. Shenanigans happen and later on it adapts Spider-Island, so you can guess what happens with those three. So Peter is less of a loner since he gets Miles on his side relatively soon, and any given moment someone smarter than him is around. But it still has the human drama since Peter doesn't exactly get a scholarship for this fancy school, and his relationship with Harry is very strained due to this school stuff.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I really like how science heavy this iteration is. Pretty much everyone involved is a giant dork. Flash Thompson was in one episode and just super proud how he won the midtown high science fair with his baking soda volcano. :3:
Hell, Kraven is an internet celebrity, who livestreams his hunts.
Also, it's good how proactive Peter's friends are. Most of all Gwen. She's not just girl-who-dies-at-some-point.
And Kamala shows up in one episode.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I actually really like that silly cartoon.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 30, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1134174268680523776

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The writing in Spider-Man is alright but I still find the animation, just like Avengers Assemble and Guardians, to be painfully bland.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eddie Brock being a garbage human being jealous of an orphaned teenager is why he's a good villain. That said, I feel this iteration's Eddie doesn't have the legs to carry a whole season, so Flash becoming Venom would be welcome.

I feel like the Eddie Brock we had in Spectacular was one of the best arcs, someone who was good buddies with Peter, Peter's double life leads to Eddie getting dumped on and from there he just bases his entire life around loving over Peter

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a bit of a running theme in the comics of Peter Parker outwardly being an rear end in a top hat to people around him, even though you, the audience, know that he's under a lot of stress from some secret thing going on with his alternate identity. Heck, sometimes he's just stressed about something going on with his aunt and just can't be bothered to communicate with the people around him.

It was sort of a common tactic back in the day to gin up some more interpersonal drama.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a bit of a running theme in the comics of Peter Parker outwardly being an rear end in a top hat to people around him, even though you, the audience, know that he's under a lot of stress from some secret thing going on with his alternate identity. Heck, sometimes he's just stressed about something going on with his aunt and just can't be bothered to communicate with the people around him.

It was sort of a common tactic back in the day to gin up some more interpersonal drama.

Not just to gin up drama but empathy and wish fulfillment. Spider-Man and most other secret identity heroes have the conflict of identities and we as the audience relate to that struggle of "if only people understood the real me or knew how awesome I actually am!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

He was often even worse about it while Spider-Man, it's one of the reasons why his villains hate him so much, and why most of the hero community used to not like him at all either(and many still don't like him for it)