Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've got the Platinum Edition dvd box set myself.

I sold mine in a fit of poverty. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anti-Muslim/Arab people love to use Kurds as their model minority example because historically speaking they have indeed been treated horribly and unfortunately that was often at the hands of Muslim governments what with, ya know, the region they're from. You can usually tell the shitheads apart from actual sympathetic people for a very real struggle if their research of Kurdish groups goes any deeper than 'Kurds got shafted in a lot of places' and examines their long history of progressive/leftist causes like the literal communist militia that's still in Syria protecting people.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mokinokaro posted:

It's not even just that, the translation is so literal that it destroys a lot of characterization. I won't blame the actors because they're doing the best with the terrible script and obvious lack of direction.

So there's actually a reason the translation is so hyper literal and stilted! I was actually there in Baltimore to witness the instigating moment for this, so, story time.

A bit of background for those unaware: there is an ostensible remake film series of Evangelion called Rebuild of Evangelion, that starts out fairly beat for beat but diverged more and more, so far culminating in the third film, which bears zero resemblance to the original work in any way and is more or less an original work with the same characters.

The third film, 3.0, also features Kaworu, the gray haired anime boy in those tweets, far more prominently than he ever was in Evangelion, where he's essentially a deuteragonist of the story with Shinji. 3.0 also extremely amps up the romantic overtones of their relationship to almost blatant heights, with one of the motifs in the film being Kaworu literally teaching Shinji how to play a duet on piano as part of a way to get to know each other.

So fast forward to Baltimore, 2013. 3.0 has been out in Japan for a couple months. Funimation has been working on the dub, and they're going to screen it in America at Otakon, one of the biggest anime conventions in America, in their biggest exhibit hall, which fits several hundred people. This was, as far as I know, the American Premiere, a full six months before it hit actual theaters. There is a massive amount of hype for this, because as I said, 3.0 was completely divorced from the original series and the rumors about it had completely reinvigorated the fandom to a fever loving pitch, so the room is packed to the loving gills, at full capacity. Some people come out, they intro the film, and the lights drop and it plays.

And what follows is a loving disaster.

So, I like 3.0. It's a movie that's willing to go completely loving batshit, and it more or less threw out every scrap of existing canon it possibly could in one of the most active attempts at audience antagonization it possibly could. But that's the problem, it actively antagonizes the audience. It starts with a twenty year time skip and all the characters berating Shinji, and refuses to explain anything for almost an hour of its run time. And the crowd loving loses it. There's cheering, there's laughter, there's groans, people shout "what the gently caress?" to massive applause. Most of the people in that room were watching it for the first time, and they were getting the both barrels treatment, so there was an extremely high level of energy for a movie screening.

So we get to the end of the first act, and Kaworu comes into the film for the first time, and this is where the wheels really come off the bus. Because funimation, at its core, still has a bit of the "by fans for fans" ethos going on, it's staff were all anime nerds, and shipping Kaworu and Shinji is one of the old classic ships of anime fandom. They'd been handed an official work from the original creator of Evangelion where the subtext of their relationship had been amped almost to text, so what did they do? They took the localization and pushed it even father. Every implication and hint is amplified, every joking line is uppsd to a full double entendre, and every double entendre is upgraded to full on flirting dialogue.

The crowd, being almost a thousand-strong people who were not only big enough nerds to go to a con but big enough to go to a movie screening AT a con, see this and essentially lose their loving mind.

From this point on, you could barely hear the actual movie, because people were cracking up at every single line, cheering every action, and just going completely nuts. Just a loving madhouse of hooting anime nerds. It continues like that mostly through to the end, people cheer, people leave, we all put the movie out of our minds and go get drunk as you do at anime cons, everything's right with the world, etc. Etc.

Except it isn't.

As the months go by, 3.0 has a slow rollout, leaves theaters, and news slows down. The first home release date in america blows by, no release. Second one blows by, no release. People start asking questions and answers are really cryptic. People are wondering, why the gently caress isn't it out on blu ray yet, Japan has had it for almost a year now.

After a few leaks and a public announcement comes out, a picture starts to form. Funimation is delaying the release because they're working directly with Khara to ensure "a better translation," and as such, are retranslating and redubbing the entire movie, from scratch.. Because it turns out, there was somebody actually from Khara itself at the screening at Otakon, and witnessing the crowd reaction had mortified them. The film was supposed to be taken seriously, you see; and witnessing an entire room losing their loving mind with laughter at what was supposed to be a serious film had set off every alarm bell in this person's head. I don't know if anyone tried to explain to them that Americans generally react more animatedly at the movies, or that the crowd at that particular showing was a unique experience, but if they did it didn't work; Khara latched on to the liberties taken with the localization as the reason, decided that people didn't take the movie seriously because the translation wasn't precise enough, that enough care wasn't taken with their project and changes had to be made.

Khara brought in their own translators and took a direct hand in the new dub of 3.0, and had to approve every single line, every single delivery, every single change. Funimation tried to push back but could get zero ground, and almost all the localization was stripped out in favor of a dry, clinical direct translation. The home release of 3.0 in the west eventually didn't land until 2016, a full three years after the movie came out, because of this.

Ever since, khara has been extremely hands on with any and all translation of their work, which includes the Netflix dub. This has the same translation team Khara brought on for the 3.0 dub, and it's full of absolutely bizarre choices that make no sense in English, like referring to the (singular) character of Shinji Ikari as "the first children" and cutting out all of the memorable adlibs from the first dub.

What's actually happening here with Kaworu is that in the original Japanese episodes, all of his lines have a large amount of ambiguity that you can't really translate directly into English. This is where localization is extremely important - you need to look at the context of his character and decide which choice makes more sense. But since khara doesn't trust localizers anymore, they mandated a translation that maximizes ambiguity at the cost of not sounding like anything an English speaker would ever say.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 22, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
All I've ever seen of Evangelion is the first movie (?), the 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone, and I don't honestly remember that much from it. I was never clear if it was a total rehaul of the series as three films, or if it was just a cleaned up version of the original series compiled together, and I never cared to investigate further. I'd say that I just missed the NGE train.

The series getting re-released on Netflix has generated some interesting takes, though.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim either, but I feel like that comparison is not fitting (though maybe's he being sarcastic and that's :thejoke:). From what I've gleaned from various discussions and whatnot, NGE is moreso meant to be a analysis of depression (or maybe in the sense that it's reflective of Hideki Anno's personal issues as he worked on the series).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
See? Production nightmare stories about Eva are way more fun than the actual show.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

See? Production nightmare stories about Eva are way more fun than the actual show.

Doesn't sound so fun to me!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Khara brought in their own translators and took a direct hand in the new dub of 3.0, and had to approve every single line, every single delivery, every single change. Funimation tried to push back but could get zero ground, and almost all the localization was stripped out in favor of a dry, clinical direct translation. The home release of 3.0 in the west eventually didn't land until 2016, a full three years after the movie came out, because of this.

Ever since, khara has been extremely hands on with any and all translation of their work, which includes the Netflix dub. This has the same translation team Khara brought on for the 3.0 dub, and it's full of absolutely bizarre choices that make no sense in English, like referring to the (singular) character of Shinji Ikari as "the first children" and cutting out all of the memorable adlibs from the first dub.

What's actually happening here with Kaworu is that in the original Japanese episodes, all of his lines have a large amount of ambiguity that you can't really translate directly into English. This is where localization is extremely important - you need to look at the context of his character and decide which choice makes more sense. But since khara doesn't trust localizers anymore, they mandated a translation that maximizes ambiguity at the cost of not sounding like anything an English speaker would ever say.

I knew about the re-dub but I didn't know it was done because of Khara involvement. No wonder the 3.0 dub is so poorly written.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

All I've ever seen of Evangelion is the first movie (?), the 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone, and I don't honestly remember that much from it. I was never clear if it was a total rehaul of the series as three films, or if it was just a cleaned up version of the original series compiled together, and I never cared to investigate further. I'd say that I just missed the NGE train.

The series getting re-released on Netflix has generated some interesting takes, though.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim either, but I feel like that comparison is not fitting (though maybe's he being sarcastic and that's :thejoke:). From what I've gleaned from various discussions and whatnot, NGE is moreso meant to be a analysis of depression (or maybe in the sense that it's reflective of Hideki Anno's personal issues as he worked on the series).

Minor trivia, but the first movie actually has three versions :eng101:; 1.0 is the straight Japanese original theater release (I THINK, as far as I can tell). 1.01 is the general home release, with an English dub track available. 1.11 is the remaster with a bunch of video and audio tweaks. I know because I actually own all three versions on DVD. :shepface:

(Bought 1.0 as a con-exclusive thing, got 1.01 when that came out for the English dub track, saw 1.11 for $10 in the clearance bin and figured may as well complete the set :v:)

But more on-track; 1.11 is a near-straight retelling of the first five episodes of the series with some fancier effects and details. 2.22, however, starts off on-course and then jumps the loving rails out into the weeds and goes for broke. It covers most of the big details from the entire run of the rest of the series, and 3.33 is entirely original because of the way 2.22 ends.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This better be in the netflix eva cartoon or I riot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

Central to EVA is the concept of a pilot synchronizing with their mech for better performance, which is lifted by Pacific Rim for the Drift concept, wherein two (or more) pilots must be in synchronization with each other to properly pilot a single shared mech. Drift further resembles a specific episode of EVA where two pilots need to preform the same actions with their own mech to fight a specific Big Monster. one of the taglines for PR, "To fight monsters we created monsters," makes less sense in the context of Pacific Rim itself and more as a homage to EVA Where the EVA units are not actually big robots but large flesh golems in armor that the protagonist barely have control of and also one time an EVA tears a Big Monster open and eats it. Pacific Rim is paying homage to a lot of things in the Giant Robot/Kaiju sphere so the comparison in never one-to-one, but it lifts a lot of concepts from EVA. The main difference is tone and the actual content of the metaphors, which to be fair is a lot, but the comparison is not necessarily unfitting.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Minor trivia, but the first movie actually has three versions :eng101:; 1.0 is the straight Japanese original theater release (I THINK, as far as I can tell). 1.01 is the general home release, with an English dub track available. 1.11 is the remaster with a bunch of video and audio tweaks. I know because I actually own all three versions on DVD. :shepface:

(Bought 1.0 as a con-exclusive thing, got 1.01 when that came out for the English dub track, saw 1.11 for $10 in the clearance bin and figured may as well complete the set :v:)

But more on-track; 1.11 is a near-straight retelling of the first five episodes of the series with some fancier effects and details. 2.22, however, starts off on-course and then jumps the loving rails out into the weeds and goes for broke. It covers most of the big details from the entire run of the rest of the series, and 3.33 is entirely original because of the way 2.22 ends.

See, I think that was what put me off, because I bought 1.01 from WalMart or somewhere, and then later I read that there was a new version 1.11, and I was just like :what:.

It's like you've got NGE: The Original Series, NGE 1.00: You Could (Not) Use Parentheses, Evangelion 2.0, Evangelion 3.0, Evangelion 3.0+1.0 (:psyboom:) NGE: Death & Rebirth, End of Evangelion, Rebuild of Evangelion, NGE:, Evangelion: We Ran Out of Money, the NGE manga, Evangelion: Angelic Days, NGE: Campus Apocalypse, Petiit Eva: Evangelion@School, NGE: Iron Maiden/Girlfriend of Steel, NGE: 1st Impression, NGE Strip Mahjong, Secret of Evangelion, Detective Evangelion, and NGE 64.

I just look all that and go, "Y'know, maybe I should check out that Gunbuster anime at some point."

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot the Adobe Flash EVA dating sim

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 22, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Literal translations of anime are a loving nightmare

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Literal translations of anime comedies are the worst of that bracket.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

so do american movie goers just not shut up at movies?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Honestly at this point the subtitles of the Rebuild movies should have been Rehab, Recovery, Relapse, Retirement given Hideki Anno’s ongoing wild ride of mental stability and Studio Khara being... Studio Khara.

Just loving end it already. Forever.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Just loving end it already

of Evangelion

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

You'll get laughs and stuff during comedies, gasps and whatnot during thrillers, horror movies have a lot of noise in general. And any screening at a con is going to be basically a concert mosh pit since everyone there is at peak energy.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

In theaters it's usually only reactions - laugher at funny parts, maybe a scream at a scary part.

But cons are Special Circumstances, which really just feel like watching it with a hundred of your friends, and talking back to the movie is pretty popular at home.

I mean, there is a whole series called MST3K and Rifftrax that is just make fun of movies - and MST3K did Hamlet, so they don't even have to be bad ones, though it gives more material.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

In theaters it's usually only reactions - laugher at funny parts, maybe a scream at a scary part.

But cons are Special Circumstances, which really just feel like watching it with a hundred of your friends, and talking back to the movie is pretty popular at home.

I mean, there is a whole series called MST3K and Rifftrax that is just make fun of movies - and MST3K did Hamlet, so they don't even have to be bad ones, though it gives more material.

I’ve never bee to any kind of convention, but I’ve seen my share of panel videos from various events and the one constant between them no matter what type of popular media con it was, was that convention audiences lose their poo poo and devolve into screaming ninnies at everything.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Thanks for your explanation. I remember hearing about how the original version of 3.0 had been shown at a con, and I had vaguely remembered hearing how it was being resigned for whatever reason. I had no idea about the Studio Khara executives or any of that. Jesus Christ, they're really dropping the ball here.

It reminds me how they changed Yuna's final line to Tidus in Final Fantasy X. In the Japanese, she says "thank you" - in English, she says "I love you." Once again, it's due to localization making a drastically big but necessary change because the original subtext just doesn't work when translated literally.

Ugh. What a mess. Well, I'll still look forward to 4.44 when it's released in 2025, but Studio Khara clearly has no idea what they're doing outside Japan and it's really disappointing that they have that much say to screw the properties over that much. Shame too, as I loving love 2.22. :allears:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

At least the thread title has come full circle. :v:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve never bee to any kind of convention, but I’ve seen my share of panel videos from various events and the one constant between them no matter what type of popular media con it was, was that convention audiences lose their poo poo and devolve into screaming ninnies at everything.

I've only ever been to an anime convention once, and it was Anime Expo back in 2005. I went to a Fullmetal Alchemist panel and it ended with a preview screening of the first episode of season 2. Everyone in the audience seemed to collectively lose their poo poo at times. In a lot of ways those conventions are special because you know you're surrounded by nerds, and you know it because they likely spent hundreds of dollars to fly out and attend an event that spans several days. This is the kind of thing that happens at anime conventions and things like them.

Relatedly, this is one reason why I don't follow anything related to Rock Paper Shotgun now. For the recent Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest they held in Las Vegas, they sent a jerk to cover it who clearly didn't understand convention mentalities. He wrote an article that was thinly veiled with scorn for all of the attendees. He interviewed cosplayers with amazing takes of the games characters, and when the article released, the cosplayers were dumbfounded by how he derided them. It culminated in him asking the developers a really dumb and awkward question about ERP that ended up taking a lot of time away from asking more legitimate questions about the game. This guy wanted to just go to a convention and say "heh look at these NERDS!!"

I don't think anyone's going to combat that idea. Water is wet, grass is green, and anime and game conventions are awkward as gently caress. Going to something like this and expecting anything different shows a lack of awareness, and a lack of tact. That Studio Khara reacted the way they did after Eva's 3.0 screening is clear that they just don't understand convention culture outside Japan, and now everyone's gotta suffer as a result.

Zedd posted:

At least the thread title has come full circle. :v:

lol

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Pushing Up Roses covers one of the many Nancy Drew games, this one featuring some really hairy arms.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Relatedly, this is one reason why I don't follow anything related to Rock Paper Shotgun now. For the recent Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest they held in Las Vegas, they sent a jerk to cover it who clearly didn't understand convention mentalities. He wrote an article that was thinly veiled with scorn for all of the attendees. He interviewed cosplayers with amazing takes of the games characters, and when the article released, the cosplayers were dumbfounded by how he derided them. It culminated in him asking the developers a really dumb and awkward question about ERP that ended up taking a lot of time away from asking more legitimate questions about the game. This guy wanted to just go to a convention and say "heh look at these NERDS!!"

lol

Reminds me of the time Polygon send some weird wet blanket guy to cover a a Guitar Hero event and the guy spent an entire article complaining about how he didn't like parties or some poo poo. It was really dumb.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Reminds me of the time Polygon send some weird wet blanket guy to cover a a Guitar Hero event and the guy spent an entire article complaining about how he didn't like parties or some poo poo. It was really dumb.

Polygon | Rock Band 4 is doing a lot of the fun things you want it to do posted:

A few of my more effervescent, more gregarious, more alive colleagues in game journalism are on stage "rocking out" to The Killers. We are on the rooftop of a pricey hotel in Santa Monica, at a press event organized by Rock Band 4's developer and publisher Harmonix.

I'm standing at a safe distance, drinking fizzy water, eating puff pastry canapes and chatting to another colleague about politics in the Philippines. I'm having an OK time.

I'm supposed to be focusing my attention on Rock Band 4, but there's more chance of Ferdinand Marcos leaping onto that stage than there is of me mounting the boards, swinging a guitar strap around my neck and yelling "whooooooo."

I don't care about rock music. I dislike crowds and I dislike loud noises. I don't do public performances, excepting "Toastmasters" which I enjoy from time-to-time, along with half a dozen accountants, schoolteachers and self-improvement nutters.

Former CVG writer Chris Cullion did a good write up on that article

The Grimace posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun | What a giant catfish taught me about happiness at Final Fantasy XIV fan festival posted:

This isn’t the only smudge of reality to mark the fantastic realm. Players are also running brothels in-game, as Kotaku reported last year. There are pubs and homes populated with scantily clad cat girls selling naughty words to johns, and making creative use of emotes to get busy.

“Huuuhh!?” says director Naoki Yoshida when I ask about this during a press Q and A. He seems surprised, but it’s hard to believe the creators of the game aren’t aware of this most MMO of player behaviours. I just want to know the studio’s position on cybersex for gil. Do they quietly discourage this kind of thing? Or are they happy to turn a blind eye to this erotic role playing?

[...]

It likely doesn’t matter to roleplaying matrons and sex workers whether their tricks are bannable or not, since it would take one of the people involved in the sexy dialogue to report it. But whether it’s against the rules or not, dirty talk is one reason why a number of roleplayers keep logging in. Still, it’s a very sober and serious answer from a man who, less than 24 hours later, will appear on stage dressed in a flashy Kimono and singing an angry rock song. Yes, the festival’s finale was somewhat surreal.

This rock concert featured The Primals, a band made up of various Final Fantasy developers. The sound director is on lead guitar. The head of localisation is on vocals. Yoshida appeared as a special singer, dressed in a Kyoto-made Kimono with a white tiger emblazoned on it. There is something surreal (and yet very Final Fantasy) about seeing the head of a studio performing what amounts to a very expensive session of karaoke. But the crowd loves it. They are one big holler, singing along, glowing batons swinging in unison to tunes they all know from repeated boss fights. The whole scenario would be cult-like, if it wasn’t so adorably geeky.

This rock concert featured The Primals, a band made up of various Final Fantasy developers. The sound director is on lead guitar. The head of localisation is on vocals. Yoshida appeared as a special singer, dressed in a Kyoto-made Kimono with a white tiger emblazoned on it. There is something surreal (and yet very Final Fantasy) about seeing the head of a studio performing what amounts to a very expensive session of karaoke. But the crowd loves it. They are one big holler, singing along, glowing batons swinging in unison to tunes they all know from repeated boss fights. The whole scenario would be cult-like, if it wasn’t so adorably geeky.

RPS is interesting in that apart from article such as these, the site contributors are effective of gradually annoying readers away with output, if not outright insulting them.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 22, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
NEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDDDDDSSS :byodood: - Me, a person who gets paid to talk about video games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

NEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDDDDDSSS :byodood: - Me, a person who gets paid to talk about video games.

yea I get when, like, Vice will sometimes be all 'haha lookit these nerds doing nothing harmful to anyone and just trying to be left alone to have fun' but it owns that a dude who's job is literally 'talk about video games forever' thought he had to big dog gamers.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have never seen evangelion? should I?

If you ever do watch this, you should also check out Space Runaway Ideon and Zambot 3.

(don't binge any of these three shows especially one after the other)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought Walker left?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Eva was sick. I can hear my sis watching it rn on the living room and i wanna rewatch it now but having it completely gut kaworu's lines and interactions like that sucks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So this was brought up in the Deltarune thread, but it makes a bit more sense here. Recently, Etika, the loud reaction dude and the person who had some kind of mental breakdown recently went missing two days ago:

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1141838051221692416

I decided to see if there were any updates today, and I see this:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1142562288462942209

Keep in mind, this was after the release of a video he had that was like a suicide note. However I kept scrolling through twitter and came across this thread:

https://twitter.com/shawnakarick/status/1141821172197314561

So aside from the possible suicide, it looks like he also got himself involved in some cult called The Venus Project

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh man that's getting even more hosed up. :smith:

I didn't follow the guy or anything, but I brought him up in the Deltarune thread because I saw his funny stream of the game on youtube thanks to the magic of algorithm. Now I hope he's okay.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I thought Walker left?

I thought so too, since I remember he posted something about leaving RPS a while ago. Maybe he's one of those people who 'retires', but then still hangs around for like 6 months afterwards.

I thought to post about this as well, though the cult stuff is new to me.

I don't know that much about Etika, aside from seeing a couple of his videos here and there. This isn't the first time he's had issues, apparently. Around a month or so ago, he apparently got taken away by police and paramedics due to a possible suicide attempt.

With how long he's been missing, along with his belongings being found by the bridge, I fear the worst. Still, let's hope they find him okay.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Etika's community is extremely toxic, and they're basically his life. He needed some serious help away from the internet, but not like this. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is the loving worst. and when I went to visit my dad and he noticed I was down and I explained that a dude I'd been watching the stuff of had gone missing for two days after leaving a suicide note, his reply was literally "why do you care so much about people you've never met?"

almost every boomer is a walking bundle of brainworms and sociopathy, I swear. probably not going to visit him much anymore, christ.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This is why I would never want too large a fanbase tbh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

So this was brought up in the Deltarune thread, but it makes a bit more sense here. Recently, Etika, the loud reaction dude and the person who had some kind of mental breakdown recently went missing two days ago:

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1141838051221692416

I decided to see if there were any updates today, and I see this:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1142562288462942209

Keep in mind, this was after the release of a video he had that was like a suicide note. However I kept scrolling through twitter and came across this thread:

https://twitter.com/shawnakarick/status/1141821172197314561

So aside from the possible suicide, it looks like he also got himself involved in some cult called The Venus Project

i have never watched but i vaguely remember some shitshow about him a couple weeks ago. apparently he has a break down and screamed the F slur a couple times and that brought a ton of heat on him somewhat justifiably. its clear he really needed help and i honestly hope he isn't dead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From his undertale archive that I had just finished watching literally moments before being informed of what happened, his chat is a nightmare whirlwind of insane racists divebombing in literally nonstop. I dunno if it finally got to him or what but I don't think I could keep up a facade like his in the face of endless bigotry like that, especially if he already had mental issues, I'm guessing he had a total mental breakdown live on camera? Especially combined with this apparent social engineer who has been manipulating him for months or longer, poo poo is terrifying and brutally sad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Invictus posted:

From his undertale archive that I had just finished watching literally moments before being informed of what happened, his chat is a nightmare whirlwind of insane racists divebombing in literally nonstop. I dunno if it finally got to him or what but I don't think I could keep up a facade like his in the face of endless bigotry like that, especially if he already had mental issues, I'm guessing he had a total mental breakdown live on camera? Especially combined with this apparent social engineer who has been manipulating him for months or longer, poo poo is terrifying and brutally sad.

something like that. i only know of it because of the resetera thread(i follow that for game news though i probably shouldnt) and loving ton of them went full @cancelhim on his rear end and on twitter. so he had libs and facists making GBS threads on him. so he basicaly had no one :( poor dude, hope he ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This is just pretty awful across the board, really. It appears as though a few weeks ago when he got taken away by police, he livestreamed it on IG and it was a SWAT team. There were pictures he'd photoshopped where he was holding weapons. And most people framed it as an attention-seeking Boy Who Cried Wolf-type deal, even on the non-trash pages. But clearly something's just horribly wrong...hopefully he's ok somewhere.

It worries me how much damage to mental health, or to families, or to the general mindset and rationality of people this business does. It only ever seems to grow exponentially over time, with things seemingly only having the potential to get worse the bigger you get. The KSI/Deji thing that's blown up over the past month or so is another one that gives me worrying vibes.