Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

MarioMarioMarioMarioMarioMarioMarioMarioMarioMarioMario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My stylus arrived today and I'm real happy with it. Got the Digiroot universal stylus off Amazon because it had great reviews saying it worked with Switch and it does work well. It's decently long and has a nice weight to it. Was only around 10 bucks as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought a stylus as well. Of a similar design to the one you bought. Works pretty well on switch, can't wait for Mario Maker.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The community hype and the previews and that review are making it hard not to pre-order it.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Troll levels? And waste my chance to finally show Nintendo how great of an idea it would be to hire me?

I think changing from 100 man super expert to 5 lives how far can you get is going to cut down the number of trolls a lot. Five deaths and you lose the run? Even the streamers aren't going to want that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

neonchameleon posted:

I think changing from 100 man super expert to 5 lives how far can you get is going to cut down the number of trolls a lot. Five deaths and you lose the run? Even the streamers aren't going to want that.

Knowing they can gently caress over an endless run will just encourage the trolls more. Anyway it looks like the number of lives may increase based on the difficulty. I saw a video of someone showing off endless expert and it started at 15. Still not enough for me to get very far.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 23, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

What? No. Shill your stream. If you PM me stream details I'll add them to the next threads OP. A bunch of people are going to want to watch streams.

oh nice okay. I just think it would be fun to play games and have people watch, and even moreso, have them watch me play the levels they made, but I've seen some people be kinda overzealous promoting themselves

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Andrigaar posted:

The community hype and the previews and that review are making it hard not to pre-order it.

It's a trap. I pre-ordered and pre-loaded, now it's just sitting there on my Switch screen, taunting me.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I was working on a level and when I went to make dinner my son deleted it. He felt bad so he tried to remake it. It was super sweet and it turns out his beginning was more fun than mine. So he and I finished it together and uploaded it. If people could play it it would just make his day to see the numbers go up.

16D8-0000-03ED-E964

We've been working on "treating the player fairly" which led to respawning the flower and Yoshi at the beginning. Although doors to reset might have been better since it's possible(but not easy) to softlock.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RodShaft posted:

I was working on a level and when I went to make dinner my son deleted it. He felt bad so he tried to remake it. It was super sweet and it turns out his beginning was more fun than mine. So he and I finished it together and uploaded it. If people could play it it would just make his day to see the numbers go up.

16D8-0000-03ED-E964

We've been working on "treating the player fairly" which led to respawning the flower and Yoshi at the beginning. Although doors to reset might have been better since it's possible(but not easy) to softlock.

you're a good dad, and if my wii u still worked id absolutely play it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

J-Spot posted:

GameXplain has a new video out detailing the object limits for SMM2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvXVe0hNXo

A lot of this is the same as the first game with the notable exception of ground tiles and blocks. You can now have up to 4,000 ground tiles per area plus 2,000 other block types. In the first game you were limited to 2,000 combined.

Also of note is you can only place 5 snake blocks, 10 ! blocks, and 10 track blocks per area. This feels like a pretty harsh limit and will kill some ideas for levels that could have been built based around these.

The limit increase is cool, but wtf is with only being able to place 10 ! blocks? That definitely wasn't in Mario Maker 1. gently caress I bet a lot of standard Mario levels have more than 10 of those.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The limit increase is cool, but wtf is with only being able to place 10 ! blocks? That definitely wasn't in Mario Maker 1. gently caress I bet a lot of standard Mario levels have more than 10 of those.

The SM3DW ! Blocks weren't in Mario Maker 1 at all, are you mixing them up with ? blocks?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 23, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

multijoe posted:

The SM3DW ! Blocks weren't in Mario Maker 1 at, are you mixing them up with ? blocks?

:downs: I'm stupid

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ten factorial blocks is a lot of blocks

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RodShaft posted:

16D8-0000-03ED-E964

Played and starred. I actually soft locked four or five times before I was able to escape the starting screen. The timing on the top bomb is tricky and Bowser can set off the bottom one.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

J-Spot posted:

Played and starred. I actually soft locked four or five times before I was able to escape the starting screen. The timing on the top bomb is tricky and Bowser can set off the bottom one.

As long as the first one blows up the front (which it should do if Bowser sets it off) you should be able to get through or over. No matter where the second blows.

I tried it with doors and it made the whole thing too easy.

Edit: also, thanks for playing (I should have said that first) if you have any suggestions I'll run them by the boss. My original version had the bombs trapped it wasn't as fun, but you couldn't soft lock.

We're going more for fun factor than anything, so the excavation is like a reward for the challenge at the beginning.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 23, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RodShaft posted:

As long as the first one blows up the front (which it should do if Bowser sets it off) you should be able to get through or over. No matter where the second blows.
I do see now that if the top bomb blows up the left wall it is possible to make it over with a Yoshi jump, but the screen does not scroll vertically in a way that makes that apparent.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

eonwe posted:

I promise not to shill my stream, but I have decided im gonna start streaming myself playing goon made levels, so that level jam thing sounds amazing

Shill with my so I don't feel bad about shilling!!!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ok. With my son's permission and input I revamped the beginning to make it impossible to soft lock. There's also a few options to progress and they are a lil more obvious.

Try this one and let me know what you think.

120F-0000-03EE-68FA

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Feeling the hype hard this weekend.

I now have a spreadsheet for my SMV sequel project. 8 worlds, 5 stages per, and each stage with a few unique course elements picked out.

The new themes are looking really great, and it's not seeing more of the design elements as preview videos are coming out. SMB3 Forest and SMW Desert alone inspired a few new ideas for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some mechanics experiments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaFAgG-dCQ

Is a shame most of the answers to "Can you do X?" seem to be no, especially keys at checkpoints.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Oh man, it's the last Sunday evening before MM2. I just need to get through five soul-crushing days of work and then I've got a nice week off for a vacation in the Mushroom Kingdom.

RodShaft posted:

Ok. With my son's permission and input I revamped the beginning to make it impossible to soft lock. There's also a few options to progress and they are a lil more obvious.

Try this one and let me know what you think.

120F-0000-03EE-68FA

I liked this version better. Yeah it's easier, but I had a nice little emergent moment where Bowser jumped up on the first mushroom platform which made me have to look for the opportunity to proceed so the experience was definitely more fun. Then I went ahead and cleared it a second time to claim the world record from whoever cleared it earlier.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Making docked looks unredeemably awful

Despera fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 24, 2019

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

J-Spot posted:

I liked this version better. Yeah it's easier, but I had a nice little emergent moment where Bowser jumped up on the first mushroom platform which made me have to look for the opportunity to proceed so the experience was definitely more fun. Then I went ahead and cleared it a second time to claim the world record from whoever cleared it earlier.
Thanks for the input.

Well, you and my son won. Here's what I consider the final version. I had to eliminate some cheese I didn't know was there until I threw it at a Twitch streamer last night cause I wanted to see how people play it. And just modified the excavation a bit.

0377-0000-03EE-903A

I tried adding random things to set off bombs, but none of them actually made the level any more fun. But if I go for a straight hard level I have some ideas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I found a page with my old levels on the Nintendo site. Most have completion of 10-14% which is pretty good. I can't find a way to find the level codes on those pages though. I don't have my WiiU, I'm hoping someone could play them on YouTube so I could show my kid

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I have a 4 year old and am very excited to make the easiest levels so she can play them. Can't wait to populate Easy Endless Mario with tons of levels with 1 enemy and two block high jumps.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I found a page with my old levels on the Nintendo site. Most have completion of 10-14% which is pretty good. I can't find a way to find the level codes on those pages though. I don't have my WiiU, I'm hoping someone could play them on YouTube so I could show my kid

The code will be in the URL.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

4BDD-0000-00DA-EB9A
E9B9-0000-00DA-E818
0D50-0000-00DA-E30C
A8EC-0000-00DA-DC5E
2F49-0000-00DA-D875
F0B6-0000-00DA-D361
5050-0000-00DA-CFB0

These are my Mega Man 3 remake stages. I had a Spark Man that for some reason is no longer listed... I don't think it used any banned glitches(or any glitches at all as far as I remember).

Also lol no wonder they shortened the level codes

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 24, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Someone at my local walmart put out Mario Maker 2 on the 22nd and it got purchased. Would the possible purchaser of this get banned if they played it on their switch before the release date

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Someone at my local walmart put out Mario Maker 2 on the 22nd and it got purchased. Would the possible purchaser of this get banned if they played it on their switch before the release date

The most likely case for what will happen is that it will try to do the online handshake on boot, and say “Sorry, this game’s not out yet.”

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I love the new songs made the snow themed Super Mario Bros levels. There's a sense of genuine nostalgia, as if they were hidden musical gems in the original game's code. Any word if these were made by Koji Kondo?

I'm hyped to make some Super Mario 1 levels for some reason. I hope that I will be able to string the levels together into some kind of level pack to share with people.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 24, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

I love the new songs made the snow themed Super Mario Bros levels. There's a sense of genuine nostalgia, as if they were hidden musical gems in the original game's code. Any word if these were made by Koji Kondo?

they are, yes. i think it was mentioned in the mario maker direct

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Good Sphere posted:

Any word if these were made by Koji Kondo?

Yup, that was confirmed in the direct.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

they are, yes. i think it was mentioned in the mario maker direct

J-Spot posted:

Yup, that was confirmed in the direct.

That is so awesome that I think I'm going to cry.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Some mechanics experiments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaFAgG-dCQ

Is a shame most of the answers to "Can you do X?" seem to be no, especially keys at checkpoints.

I'll say. I thought not saving keys at checkpoints was just an oversight in the first game, so not seeing that fixed is surprising.

I'm surprised they didn't test giant Skipsqueeks triggering switches. I hope they do, like other giant enemies, because using enemies to trigger things makes for good contraptions.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I want to gift this game to somebody. Is the limited edition worth it (includes one year online service)? I am not really interested in NES games or cloud saves. Can we still access the full functionality of the game or are we missing something? Thank you.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I want to gift this game to somebody. Is the limited edition worth it (includes one year online service)? I am not really interested in NES games or cloud saves. Can we still access the full functionality of the game or are we missing something? Thank you.

You can't play other people's levels or share your own without the online service. Basically, it's required for this game to get anything good out of it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

While this has a single player story mode, this game is probably worthless if you don't have an online subscription, so if you are not already a subscriber that's a good deal..

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Uh, okay. Definitely going for the "limited edition" then. Thanks for letting me avoid this mistake! :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'll say. I thought not saving keys at checkpoints was just an oversight in the first game, so not seeing that fixed is surprising.

I'm surprised they didn't test giant Skipsqueeks triggering switches. I hope they do, like other giant enemies, because using enemies to trigger things makes for good contraptions.

If they can't be directly used, you can probably use them to activate switches in a more roundabout way