Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Still a bit dark

Little brighter

And more

Me and the girls, lookin' cute, feelin' cute

I'm sorry Beef

I got your back though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hi, im the idiot covering my face with a sword.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Luceid posted:

I think we've found the actual DGKK minority race.

When the elves got together for a picture there were six of us so.....maybe.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

Horrible gremlins, filthy lucre:

Someone get that cat away from the fishtank, it's scaring the catfish in there

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I took a picture of my corner of the crowd, with some cute catgirls and I guess others were there too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mulva posted:

When the elves got together for a picture there were six of us so.....maybe.

Yeah but that was all elves. So presumably one or both giraffe clans is less common than crime cats.

There was one dragon dude in the big group though.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 22, 2019

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

[16:14]Lycoris Elsiae: I'm gay
[16:14]Lycoris Elsiae: and I love this lizard.
[16:14]Brinn Rosa: best speech 10/10

and a wonderful time was had by all! I hope

thanks again for coming along, btw! and thanks also for the screenshots, they're really great!! as you can see, my group shots came out kind of......busy, lmao

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm gonna grab this game when Shadowbringers comes out, are there any good videos on how to play a conjurer/white mage well? A lot of the videos I can find just have info on what's changing for the class with the new expansion coming out, which isn't much of a general introduction.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 23, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Until you get Holy: shoot things with rocks and try to heal as little as possible. After Holy: spam Holy and try to heal as little as possible.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Vermain posted:

The only genuine "what the gently caress" party I've ever had was doing normal Qarn where I marked enemies really quickly with tab targeting and had the healer accuse me of "hacking" (???) because I did it fast. We made it past the first boss before they randomly decided to punish me by going AFK and refusing to move or roll on items so we could kick them, so I just left.
Lol, I used to have a mark macro for low levels when people didn't have aoe. It's common enough that I've seen multiple other tanks use it back in ARR, how does someone mistake manual target marking for "hacking" :psyduck:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I'm Free.

So now what do I level :shepicide:

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Fat_Cow posted:

I'm Free.

All of them at the same time so they can share gear.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just preordered and I'm glad to see that I get the aetheryte earring after all. For some reason I thought the window for getting it ended months ago.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Worth mentioning that Zantetsuken does not drop from the instanced fight so if you absolutely need a spooky vanishing sword in your life, get grinding (or watch the Shroud like a hawk).

e: Off the top of my head, I'd say the Pegasus mount is probably the biggest pain in the rear end to get your hands on. 100 brass spoils from the Diadem is suffering, since about the only way you can reliably get it done is by flying around looking for treasure chests. The Answers orchestrion scroll is another potentially solid pick, as it's made out of a bunch of other songs and one of them (T9's) is an utter chore to get unless you've got a couple friends ready to soak the oneshot mechanic in that fight. Maybe one of the beast tribe mounts if you're really desperate to have one but refuse to just do the dailies?

Whatever you do, don't waste your tomes on the riding maps or primal mounts. They're already trivial to get the normal way, and they're about to get easier with the 5.0 changes to hunt marks and 10 more levels to break instances with.

I've already gotten the Pegasus mount and Sleipnir barding, since I'm not sure I'll ever have the opportunity to do the Odin FATE at the rate I'm going. Next up is the Answers orchestrion roll and maybe the Diadem minions if I get enough tomestones in time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Fat_Cow posted:

the 7 unleveled jobs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Luceid posted:

I think we've found the actual DGKK minority race.

I demand to be Photoshopped in

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, I need actual help in picking a new job, because I'm not even certain what I'm looking for is actually in the game.

I mained Scholar for most of my playtime. Not necessarily because I wanted to heal (although the short queue times didn't hurt), but because I enjoyed that Scholar wasn't really a job with a rote skill chain. The real strength of Scholar was all of its weird situational cooldown skills, making them a lot less about execution of a set sequence (although it sort of had a bread-and-butter combo) and more about reading the fight and deploying the weird esoteric skill that was useful at right this moment. It got really fun and frantic for some of the harder bosses, where it ends up feeling like you're spinning five plates at once.

Scholar's moving away from that, and I really don't like the direction it's moving to since it seems to be emphasizing the part of the job I found the most boring. I don't want to just quit the game, because I enjoy the game itself, but everything I've tried so far has been the sort of difficulty I don't like--with a focus on executing this specific skill chain over and over unto infinity, to the exclusion of all else. I'm willing to admit it might be a fault of what I've been choosing, and that maybe there is something more suitable for me in the game, but I don't know yet.

So far, the jobs I've tried, along with generally how I feel about them:
-Scholar, as mentioned
-Black Mage (way too staid and focused on executing a really involved skill chain; basically the opposite of what I want)
-Summoner (I'd call it 'fun enough'; it's acceptably playable as a side-job to Scholar, but felt too empty and simple to focus on as a primary)
-Ninja (theoretically had potential, but it just ends up doing a really specific skill chain, with unnecessary complexity because it requires dipping into the largely-wasted mudras system)
-Bard (has some neat-seeming toys but I'm pretty sure Bard is 60% 'trap skills you shouldn't be using' by weight, I ended up just using the same two or three skills constantly and occasionally refreshing a song)
-Blue Mage (not a real job, but I'd like it if it was)

Is there anything hiding in this game that might work for me, given all that? The only suggestion I've had so far is Dancer, which I haven't looked into at all because... well, it doesn't exist in-game yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bard or RDM are the closest things to what you're looking for, but everyone in this game has a rotation of some form. Its just that Bard and RDM are pressing their buttons in relation to some kind of resource rather than explicitly following some kind of combo. Bard doesn't really have any trap buttons, you end up pressing most of them over a full rotation, but they're all situational and you don't want to want to press them if you aren't set up right.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Plus if someone thinks Summoner is empty/simple they'll probably fall asleep playing RDM.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The only classes that don’t just do a rotation are healers, and it looks like scholar is the only one you’ve played.

I’d also encourage you to just... play scholar. It’s not changing nearly as much as you seem to think it is, unless you consider the endless skill chain scholar had as really important. Between things like autocrit adlo and the way fairy healing will work, the healing side of it will have quite a lot of tools, and every DPS devolves into an endless skill chain, it’s the nature of DPS jobs in this game.

If you want to level a backup in case you hate scholar, then try out the other healers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah White Mage and Astrologian are all about proper use of cooldowns and appropriate casts. That's not really going to change.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
You might actually enjoy Samurai; it does have a straightforward rotation of combos to execute but also has a whole bunch of OGCD Kissatu to weave in with situational uses. The job starts out slow-paced at 50 but picks up at 62 and by 70 feels pretty frantic with lots of split second decisions.

Edit: current Dark Knight also fits the bill but I guess Dark Arts is going away in a week.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The only classes that don’t just do a rotation are healers, and it looks like scholar is the only one you’ve played.

I’d also encourage you to just... play scholar. It’s not changing nearly as much as you seem to think it is, unless you consider the endless skill chain scholar had as really important. Between things like autocrit adlo and the way fairy healing will work, the healing side of it will have quite a lot of tools, and every DPS devolves into an endless skill chain, it’s the nature of DPS jobs in this game.

If you want to level a backup in case you hate scholar, then try out the other healers.

Honestly, the rub is that the boring part of Scholar for me is the healing. It's a little hard to describe, but Scholar's healing is a very easy execution, and my favorite part is actually the things you do when you aren't healing. I wouldn't call it an 'endless skill chain' but I admit it can look like that if you go REALLY hard on it (which is rarely needed), but yes, it is my favorite part of it.

The worst fight of endgame Stormblood to me was Kefka. Not because he was hard, but specifically the fact that he wasn't. You didn't even theoretically need the Scholar's esoteric skills, which led to a fight that on several occasions I nearly fell asleep doing. And now I'm worried that every fight's going to be Kefka, because I play for those things I do on top of Scholar's healing, and they're going away in favor of more healing.

homeless snail posted:

Bard or RDM are the closest things to what you're looking for, but everyone in this game has a rotation of some form. Its just that Bard and RDM are pressing their buttons in relation to some kind of resource rather than explicitly following some kind of combo. Bard doesn't really have any trap buttons, you end up pressing most of them over a full rotation, but they're all situational and you don't want to want to press them if you aren't set up right.

I can look into Red Mage and give Bard a second chance, I guess, but I'm not overly fond of jobs that focus too hard on their internal mechanics rather than what's going on around them, which sounds like what's up with them from your explanation. It's the thing that drove me away from Black Mage, that their gameplay was focused so inward, on managing MP, and the fire/ice stacks, and staying in Ley Lines, and Enochian (which I admit I didn't get to) that to play them well you're essentially ignoring as much of the fight around you as possible in favor of your own numbers.

Samurai hasn't come up at all, so I might check that out. The section where you play as Hien is an AWFUL pitch for the job, which is a shame because those 'Role-Playing' missions are theoretically perfect for showcasing what a job's actually like to play.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, the rub is that the boring part of Scholar for me is the healing. It's a little hard to describe, but Scholar's healing is a very easy execution, and my favorite part is actually the things you do when you aren't healing. I wouldn't call it an 'endless skill chain' but I admit it can look like that if you go REALLY hard on it (which is rarely needed), but yes, it is my favorite part of it.

tbh I'm not really sure what you're asking for anymore, because scholar literally has an endless skill chain rotation. Once dots are up you either spam broil or miasma 2, and you heal between them. The healing is the part that takes anything else into account. From what I can glean, I don't think there's a single dps in this game that would satisfy you.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tenik posted:

DGKK picture day:

Here's an album of more if you want to see the crowd grow and shrink (into lalafell): https://imgur.com/a/hWDyFKL

I like how someone's gremlin decided to park on my lap while I sat there AFK. :allears: (I'm the Au Ra on the far right.)

Cleretic posted:

Samurai hasn't come up at all, so I might check that out. The section where you play as Hien is an AWFUL pitch for the job, which is a shame because those 'Role-Playing' missions are theoretically perfect for showcasing what a job's actually like to play.

Eh, I'd say Role-Playing missions are screwed from the word go because they have to be made with the assumption that the player has never touched that class before.

Imagine if you've never played a second of Samurai and the game just throws you their entire 70 moveset. Either they balance the fight to require the full use of it, in which case you'll slam your head into a wall over and over until you can figure out how to play it, or they intentionally undertune it and the fight feels way too easy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also the whole point of BLM is knowing exactly what’s going on around you and what’s going to happen next.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Sounds to me like you're tired of the game, not the classes or rotation.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The worst fight of endgame Stormblood to me was Kefka. Not because he was hard, but specifically the fact that he wasn't. You didn't even theoretically need the Scholar's esoteric skills, which led to a fight that on several occasions I nearly fell asleep doing. And now I'm worried that every fight's going to be Kefka, because I play for those things I do on top of Scholar's healing, and they're going away in favor of more healing.

I can look into Red Mage and give Bard a second chance, I guess, but I'm not overly fond of jobs that focus too hard on their internal mechanics rather than what's going on around them, which sounds like what's up with them from your explanation. It's the thing that drove me away from Black Mage, that their gameplay was focused so inward, on managing MP, and the fire/ice stacks, and staying in Ley Lines, and Enochian (which I admit I didn't get to) that to play them well you're essentially ignoring as much of the fight around you as possible in favor of your own numbers.

I don't think you are going to find a magically interesting class. What you might want to try doing is checking out more advanced raiding - not necessarily joining a static, but joining learning groups for savage fights and the like. Your rotational complexity is less important when you are concentrating on the fight itself - god knows I'd have quit this game forever ago if raiding didn't keep me coming back.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I'd love to get a screenshot of everyone in my FC together but trying to get them online and in the one spot is impossible, it's like herding loving cats. Fitting consider a chunk of 'em are Miqo'te, but still. Might be time to break out the bribes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I wonder if DRG will retain its higher health pool compared to other DPS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

tbh I'm not really sure what you're asking for anymore, because scholar literally has an endless skill chain rotation. Once dots are up you either spam broil or miasma 2, and you heal between them. The healing is the part that takes anything else into account. From what I can glean, I don't think there's a single dps in this game that would satisfy you.

Okay, I see the confusion! I'm not talking about the attacking skill chain. I'm talking about the situational cooldown abilities that Scholar has. Sacred Soil, Eye for an Eye/Deployment Tactics, Chain Strategem, arguably Bane or even Selene, etc. Basically the support things you do on top of vomiting green numbers all over the place. They're not always useful, but the real heart of Scholar to me is being able to recognize when everything lines up to make them the right thing to throw out. That's what I find fun, and overall I see that going away in favor of making Scholar less 'weird bucket of skills' and more 'easily-readable systemic skill chain with a bigger focus on actually healing'.

I'm not even necessarily looking for a DPS role, it's just that they're most of the jobs and they feel a bit more mechanically diverse and solo-friendly, so I ended up trying a bunch of them for fun. And also I was, until recently, very content with Scholar as long as I wasn't doing solo content, so I had no reason to shift what my main would be until now.

BisbyWorl posted:

Eh, I'd say Role-Playing missions are screwed from the word go because they have to be made with the assumption that the player has never touched that class before.

Imagine if you've never played a second of Samurai and the game just throws you their entire 70 moveset. Either they balance the fight to require the full use of it, in which case you'll slam your head into a wall over and over until you can figure out how to play it, or they intentionally undertune it and the fight feels way too easy.

I think there's a midpoint between giving us barely anything and giving us everything, I'd prefer if they essentially gave an abridged version of the 'point' of the job. Y'shtola's Role-Playing mission is the one I keep coming back to in considering this, because I think that would be perfect for using a mission to basically pitch a job to the wider playerbase, and they totally fumbled it. Hers really should be more healing-focused and based around keeping a larger amount of friendly NPCs alive and fighting (a sort of mission that actually happens fairly often in the early-game) rather than being the main combatant herself. Basically, they messed up by making Y'shtola fight a single boss herself.

Sarrisan posted:

I don't think you are going to find a magically interesting class. What you might want to try doing is checking out more advanced raiding - not necessarily joining a static, but joining learning groups for savage fights and the like. Your rotational complexity is less important when you are concentrating on the fight itself - god knows I'd have quit this game forever ago if raiding didn't keep me coming back.

I can see that in theory, but I live in Australia and have characters in the NA servers (because the alternative is playing with Australians), so most of my gameplay is in off-peak hours for most of the playerbase.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Minrad posted:

I wonder if DRG will retain its higher health pool compared to other DPS.

My Dragoon and Samurai have roughly the same HP, 48688 vs 49031, with only 2 ilvl different. I'm not sure how much that's even the case now.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Cleretic have you considered dancer?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

I like how I'm striking this slick model pose looking up at the dead namazu over my head.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Failboattootoot posted:

Cleretic have you considered dancer?

I can't fully consider Dancer like I can with the rest of the jobs because we can't play it yet! But it looks potentially interesting, albeit really complicated. It definitely seems like it could be up my alley in terms of being way more about situational awareness and understanding everyone else's situation more than yours. I was really hoping that it'd be more of a debuff-centric support class like it is in a lot of other FF games, as sort of a counterpart to Bard, but what they've come up with is promising.

The only downsides are that I can't actually work on Dancer before the expansion's released, and I don't generally like being one of the influx of people trying the new hotness straight away. Also while looking at it I can't help but feel like they've gone way too hard on it out the gate and it's destined for nerfs or retooling further down the track, which wouldn't be a dealbreaker but would be kinda disappointing.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My Dragoon and Samurai have roughly the same HP, 48688 vs 49031, with only 2 ilvl different. I'm not sure how much that's even the case now.

They might have meant that Dragoons have higher defense from their gear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

The only downsides are that I can't actually work on Dancer before the expansion's released, and I don't generally like being one of the influx of people trying the new hotness straight away. Also while looking at it I can't help but feel like they've gone way too hard on it out the gate and it's destined for nerfs or retooling further down the track, which wouldn't be a dealbreaker but would be kinda disappointing.
Level the job you loving hipster

I actually can't quite finish 4.56 yet but I have a new laptop that arrives, comically enough, on Thursday. I hope I can actually get the game in order.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cleretic posted:

I can't fully consider Dancer like I can with the rest of the jobs because we can't play it yet! But it looks potentially interesting, albeit really complicated. It definitely seems like it could be up my alley in terms of being way more about situational awareness and understanding everyone else's situation more than yours. I was really hoping that it'd be more of a debuff-centric support class like it is in a lot of other FF games, as sort of a counterpart to Bard, but what they've come up with is promising.

Dancer looks to be insanely easy. Even easier than rdm which is wild. But it has some procs to keep track of so it's a bit more dynamic than usual, but not really more to keep track of than scholar. Also using the dances right (specifically cure waltz and shield samba) kinda has that using the right thing in the right situation going. They probably will get nerfed though, or more specifically, saber dance will and then maybe the group damage buff step.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

I don't think it's going to require much situational awareness, at least any more than any other dps class. You're probably just going to partner with the highest dps person in group, outside of the raid buff windows where you'll sabre dance/technical step.

Rotation isn't all that complicated either. Just keep hitting 1-2 until you get some procs. Burn your fans and esprit as appropriate, like the aforementioned raid buff windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nessus posted:

Level the job you loving hipster

You know when the DPS queues for dungeons are at their worst? When there's new DPS jobs.

You know when the healer queues are at their best? When there's new DPS jobs. Early Stormblood was great.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think it's going to require much situational awareness, at least any more than any other dps class. You're probably just going to partner with the highest dps person in group, outside of the raid buff windows where you'll sabre dance/technical step.

Rotation isn't all that complicated either. Just keep hitting 1-2 until you get some procs. Burn your fans and esprit as appropriate, like the aforementioned raid buff windows.

It looks a bit like Scholar's situational buffs (as well as some team buffs in other games I've played), where you can probably do just fine by slamming things when they're off cooldown but putting in the effort to figure out the right timings in relation to everyone else can go a long way. There's a lot of space between 'decent play' and 'high-level play' but you're still worth having around if you're closer to the 'decent' side of things, which is also something I enjoyed about Scholar.