Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Peanut President posted:

depending on some definitions i'm a good poster but that doesn't make it true pal

Other posters have already mentioned that San Jose really does operate as a center of it's own. It's the same reason no one really considers Baltimore to just be a suburb of DC or vice versa, even though they're about the same distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I'm not saying we don't need more density, but I think there's a big difference in 'single family detached' between San Jose and like Dallas or Atlanta. In SJ the typical house is 1500 sq ft on a 4k sq ft lot, compared to Dallas or Atlanta where the houses seem enormous and the lots even bigger.

(Also I have a big rear end Safeway and also a small grocery that focuses on fresh produce within a 3 block walk of my house :smug:)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Family Values posted:

I'm not saying we don't need more density, but I think there's a big difference in 'single family detached' between San Jose and like Dallas or Atlanta. In SJ the typical house is 1500 sq ft on a 4k sq ft lot, compared to Dallas or Atlanta where the houses seem enormous and the lots even bigger.

(Also I have a big rear end Safeway and also a small grocery that focuses on fresh produce within a 3 block walk of my house :smug:)

Dallas and Atlanta don't have big rear end mountains on either side constricting development. Really though, if San Jose had actually bothered to try and keep housing prices and supply reasonable it would look a lot like the inner neighborhoods of LA today, like Hermosa Beach or Inglewood.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pook Good Mook posted:

Scale of the problem. If the point is to show that American cities need to re-zone to address many problems, it will have a much larger proportional impact on 10 blocks in DC than 10 blocks in the San Fernando Valley.

That is not the scale of the problem though, though you can see quite a lot of areas with high density residential structures in most of the inner suburbs of DC for what it's worth - in large part because DC has super stupid height limit laws which mean that any sort of buildings over 160 feet are barred, and in most sections of the city it's under 140 feet (essentially, the law is that a building may not exceed 20 feet taller than the width of the street it's on, and none of the streets are over 140 feet wide).

Also if you redeveloped pretty much any contiguous 10 block chunk of the San Fernando Valley to allow for truly dense development that would actually be much more useful than redeveloping 10 blocks of DC at the moment, considering the relative lack of density out there now?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More I like driving home without facing a packed freeway

Ok, and? Texas has terrible traffic in most of its big metros.

Family Values posted:

In all of those cases you can't put up even like a duplex, let alone a row of townhomes or something serious like an apartment tower.

For that matter the Dallas or Atlanta situation would at least be amenable to re-purposing the existing housing towards mutlifamily housing while those tiny single family homes on tiny lots in SV would absolutely require being demolished in total to bring in multifamily living. Not that Dallas or Atlanta shows any signs of allowing such changes any time soon of course.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you really don't want to blanket upzone without equivalent expansion to transportation capacity, especially multimodal transportation, and many cities have to play catchup on that front just to keep pace with recent growth

meanwhile, developers in dallas and atlanta both are squeezing in townhomes and condos where they can

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If San Francisco had been planned by people who didn't see evicting all the poor people into under-bridge camps as a goal worthy in and of itself, it would have a population density today comparable to Brooklyn.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

fishmech posted:

f DC for what it's worth - in large part because DC has super stupid height limit laws which mean that any sort of buildings over 160 feet are barred, and in most sections of the city it's under 140 feet (essentially, the law is that a building may not exceed 20 feet taller than the width of the street it's on, and none of the streets are over 140 feet wide).

There's an easy solution to this:
Build it underground. There you can go a dozen levels down with no restrictions.

A morlock metropolis

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

fishmech posted:

Some American cities with depiction of where you may only build single family detached housing.

No longer accurate for Minneapolis!

We passed a city-wide blanket rezoning, now NOWHERE should have only single-family zoning. This is coming along with an expansion of the light rail, too.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I wonder what the percentage for Boston would be.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's an easy solution to this:
Build it underground. There you can go a dozen levels down with no restrictions.

A morlock metropolis

The real reason Trump wanted to drain the swamp.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I've been steadily working through this thread and enjoyed it a lot. I got shared this map today and I thought I'd pass it along.

https://aiatsis.gov.au/explore/articles/aiatsis-map-indigenous-australia

It's a map of Aboriginal tribal groups traditional holdings based on information before 1994. It's not completely accurate obv being both dated and a number of the borders are the subject of dispute between Indigenous groups but I thought it was really interesting.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Atlanta is actually very good. It is just that it is very small geographically and all the suburbs save Decatur and parts of Marietta are very bad.

It also depends on what you characterize as good or bad.
Public transport is crippled because of the state, traffic is poo poo because of crippled public transport and all the drat suburbs and the retarded highway system.
Cost of Living is good for a major city and the arts community is very healthy as a result. Low density of Californians help with this.
Property crime is bad but not terrible.
Climate is good but sometimes too hot.
Location is good with Delta hub giving access to rest of country and world, and 1 and a half hours from pretty Appalachian mountains.
Economy is good if you're in technology or the film and TV industry (our Governor is trying his best to gently caress that up though)

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 21, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
nah, it's bad. mostly because of the generally hostile state government refusing to provide substantial resources to the state capital, a higher then usual level of local jurisdictional fragmentation (georgia has a shitload of counties) which is accelerating with increasing suburban self-incorporation, and one of the prior draws of the city being a very low cost of living fuelled by unchecked suburban growth in the later half of the last century. atlanta was home to the first public regional planning commission in the country to try to wrangle the idiotic number of counties included in the broader metropolitan area, which if you include the CMSA clocks in at thirty counties and is the size of a small state. it's absurd

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol just lol at having county government

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

interesting color choices

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the incredible shrinking Middle East.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

lol just lol at having county government

Yes, who wants coordinating bodies.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

County governments should only have jurisdiction over areas not in an incorporated municipality.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Koramei posted:

interesting color choices

i uh don't think that's what per capita means

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Goat posted:

i uh don't think that's what per capita means

Figures are absolute; colours are per capita.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Platystemon posted:

ah, i see. so the color breaks are like minuscule diffs then, even if it wasn't already weird to make it gr->rd

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

saintonan posted:

County governments should only have jurisdiction over areas not in an incorporated municipality.

States differ. In some places, though, like New York State, everywhere is incorporated. You see that in a lot of the Northeast, actually. A lot of the Southeast, it's the other way around.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

205,200,000,000 gender studies programs might be a little much even for the US.

Platystemon posted:

Aw :(

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 22, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I couldn't figure out if you were kidding or not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

That is not the scale of the problem though, though you can see quite a lot of areas with high density residential structures in most of the inner suburbs of DC for what it's worth - in large part because DC has super stupid height limit laws which mean that any sort of buildings over 160 feet are barred, and in most sections of the city it's under 140 feet (essentially, the law is that a building may not exceed 20 feet taller than the width of the street it's on, and none of the streets are over 140 feet wide).

Also if you redeveloped pretty much any contiguous 10 block chunk of the San Fernando Valley to allow for truly dense development that would actually be much more useful than redeveloping 10 blocks of DC at the moment, considering the relative lack of density out there now?

Ok, and? Texas has terrible traffic in most of its big metros.

In all of those cases you can't put up even like a duplex, let alone a row of townhomes or something serious like an apartment tower.

For that matter the Dallas or Atlanta situation would at least be amenable to re-purposing the existing housing towards mutlifamily housing while those tiny single family homes on tiny lots in SV would absolutely require being demolished in total to bring in multifamily living. Not that Dallas or Atlanta shows any signs of allowing such changes any time soon of course.

It's nicer than in the bay or LA but fishmech

Also I live in NYC now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

saintonan posted:

lol just lol at having areas not in an incorporated munincipal *takes breath* ity.

In all seriousness it still hurts my head a bit to consider the idea of non-incorporated areas. I mean they make their sense, but they're so foreign to me.
At the same time at least they're more comprehendable than whatever the gently caress NY state chose to do with categorizing all their areas.

Grape fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 22, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lol at Dewey having 941 - British Isles and 942 - England & Wales. May as well have just called it gently caress You Ireland.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Also lumping in Central and East Africa (and yet Madagascar gets its own zone?) and China and Korea. I can at least appreciate the Library of Congress' blatant embracement of Eurocentrism; Dewey Decimal's veneer of actual care just makes its backward stuff worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Treating Madagascar separately isn’t that weird. It was settled by people who crossed the Indian Ocean, not the Mozambique Channel.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like how one out of 14 or so regions has more than half the people in the world

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A classic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fixed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The circle people think they're better than us just because they live in the perfect geometrical form

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
actually I’m more of a sphere

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Let me into the eggzone

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

The circle people think they're better than us just because they live in the perfect geometrical form

If you think about it, the outer shape is a circle too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dublish posted:

If you think about it, the outer shape is a circle too.

When you think about it, there’s only one circle.

That circle divides the surface of the Earth into two spherical caps of unequal area.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

luxury handset posted:

nyc is great if you're rich

not so much if you're normal

we have to break out of the mid 20th century paradigm of coastal cities being beacons of bohemian culture and update to the 21st century paradigms of them being segregated playgrounds for the wealthy

Having spent the last week in Sydney, I concur. Anything close to the coast or harbour belongs to the elite.

Surrounded by a hellscape of traffic and miserable people servicing the elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Epicurius posted:

States differ. In some places, though, like New York State, everywhere is incorporated. You see that in a lot of the Northeast, actually. A lot of the Southeast, it's the other way around.

Can confirm. Where I'm from in the Southeast the Cities can do whatever they want and the county can't really stop them. It doesn't really work out though since the suburban sprawl is so spread out and low density that it's usually economically infeasible to annex them and prevent them from leaching off the cities, The subsequent lack of funds which make it even harder to economically justify annexing a suburb ad-infinum. Even when they lose the suburbs still screw over America.