Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any timelines out there that detail, specifically, when all the Forgotten Realms PC games take place in relation to each other? I'd like to look at it while I'm working today instead of working. I've got queries running in the background, it's Friday, no one is here, and I need poo poo to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I suppose there's never been a (worthwhile) Dark Sun total conversion mod on the Infinity Engine, has there?

Barring that, how closely is Obsidian's Tyranny inspired by Dark Sun?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Not at all.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hannibal Rex posted:

I suppose there's never been a (worthwhile) Dark Sun total conversion mod on the Infinity Engine, has there?

The ancient dark sun games are cool if you can get past the graphics.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Songbearer posted:

"Together, friends!" yells Drizzt, as he stabs my dominated Jaheria in the face

He's got the right idea

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Planescape: Torment question. I've played and beaten this game multiple times before, but it's always years apart and I forget a lot. I went back to my on going EE Planescape save file and Morte is gone. I cannot remember what happened and when I search my journal I see nothing that says "Morte is gone/taken/dead/stolen". For reference on where I'm at, I only just recently recruited Fall-From-Grace and Ignus, which means I got the decanter in the warrens or whatever. Any clues as to where he be gone, and what to look for in my journal?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
My guess is that you visited the whatever District for the first time and the weirdo necromancer kidnapped him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

Planescape: Torment question. I've played and beaten this game multiple times before, but it's always years apart and I forget a lot. I went back to my on going EE Planescape save file and Morte is gone. I cannot remember what happened and when I search my journal I see nothing that says "Morte is gone/taken/dead/stolen". For reference on where I'm at, I only just recently recruited Fall-From-Grace and Ignus, which means I got the decanter in the warrens or whatever. Any clues as to where he be gone, and what to look for in my journal?

Do you have a full party? You might have dismissed him, I don't know if he goes somewhere specific if you boot him or just hangs out wherever you left him.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

Do you have a full party? You might have dismissed him, I don't know if he goes somewhere specific if you boot him or just hangs out wherever you left him.

I don't have a full party and to my knowledge, never did. I only just picked up Ignus and still have a slot free.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Are there any timelines out there that detail, specifically, when all the Forgotten Realms PC games take place in relation to each other? I'd like to look at it while I'm working today instead of working. I've got queries running in the background, it's Friday, no one is here, and I need poo poo to do.

Year (DR= Dale Reckoning)
1281 DR: Icewind Dale and expansions
1310–1311: Icewind Dale 2
1340: Pool of Radiance
1358: Curse of the Azure Bonds (gold box game)
1358: Eye of the Beholder 1, 2 & 3
1368(?): Baldur's Gate & Expansions (should include SoD)
1369: Baldur's Gate 2 & expansions
1372: Neverwinter Nights
1374: Neverwinter Nights 2 (includes Storm of Zehir)
1479: Neverwinter
1493: Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms

Unknown: Neverwinter Nights (AOL game .ran on MSDOS)
Unknown: Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (gently caress this game)
Unknown: Secret of the Silver Blades (1340-1360 probably)
Unknown: Pools of Darkness (1340-1360 probably)

So basically, Icewind Dale took place before the time of troubles (Bane, Bhaal, & Myrkul were still alive). Everything else before Neverwinter Nights is AD&D era Forgotten Realms. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 are during the 3rd edition era. Neverwinter is the 4th edition (Spellplague & all that garbage) era. Idle Champions is pretty much 5e era but is 100% its own thing and not to be taken seriously.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know this news is terribly exciting to everybody, but I just managed to beat BG2 for the first time. First played that game about 15 years ago but the mind flayers would make mincemeat out of me. To be fair: They still kinda did and I needed to savescum that section, but I got there!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve beaten all the old Infinity Engine games except BG2 and TotSC

I got to the final (I think) final battle in BG 2 and could never last more than a few rounds. I never could figure out that level in Durlag’s Tower where opening one door closes another

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I like Ruins of Myth Drannor and wish that it would come to GOG even though I freely admit that it is shite.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I like Ruins of Myth Drannor and wish that it would come to GOG even though I freely admit that it is shite.

Is there a mod that fixes the weighted die rolls?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

I’d also like to give it a go. I don’t buy physical anymore unless it’s a collectors edition so it’s GOG or bust.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rocketrobot posted:

Year (DR= Dale Reckoning)
1281 DR: Icewind Dale and expansions
1310–1311: Icewind Dale 2
1340: Pool of Radiance
1358: Curse of the Azure Bonds (gold box game)
1358: Eye of the Beholder 1, 2 & 3
1368(?): Baldur's Gate & Expansions (should include SoD)
1369: Baldur's Gate 2 & expansions
1372: Neverwinter Nights
1374: Neverwinter Nights 2 (includes Storm of Zehir)
1479: Neverwinter
1493: Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms

Unknown: Neverwinter Nights (AOL game .ran on MSDOS)
Unknown: Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (gently caress this game)
Unknown: Secret of the Silver Blades (1340-1360 probably)
Unknown: Pools of Darkness (1340-1360 probably)

So basically, Icewind Dale took place before the time of troubles (Bane, Bhaal, & Myrkul were still alive). Everything else before Neverwinter Nights is AD&D era Forgotten Realms. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 are during the 3rd edition era. Neverwinter is the 4th edition (Spellplague & all that garbage) era. Idle Champions is pretty much 5e era but is 100% its own thing and not to be taken seriously.

A bunch of what you have there is canonically wrong. The go-to resource is the Grand History of the Realms (an actual printed book), and most of the Gold Box games not noted there could be looked up through Alias’ writeup in the Heroes’ Lorebook.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Arivia posted:

A bunch of what you have there is canonically wrong. The go-to resource is the Grand History of the Realms (an actual printed book), and most of the Gold Box games not noted there could be looked up through Alias’ writeup in the Heroes’ Lorebook.

I went by what was in the Forgotten Realms wiki. Feel free to note any corrections if you have a better source.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

I’d also like to give it a go. I don’t buy physical anymore unless it’s a collectors edition so it’s GOG or bust.

I actually own the two-CD physical version of the game, the manual and the strategy guide (I used to collect them), but it's a pain in the sphincter to install. As much as I worry about the preservation of digital media, it's a very user-friendly install process.

rocketrobot posted:

Is there a mod that fixes the weighted die rolls?

Wasn't aware that this was a thing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm doing a tear-down/rebuild of my Baldur's Gate EE Trilogy mod install. Are there any large, go-to portrait packs for BGEE? I've done some Googling, but not seeing anything that either isn't 100 separate downloads, or one big download full of goofy poo poo like the Dos Equis beer guy.

Edit: Actually right after posting this found one called "Ultimate Portrait Pack" that looks pretty good. Of course it had the goddamn Dos Equis guy in there again. I deleted him. I don't delete portraits often...but when I do, it's the Dos Equis guy portrait.

Edit 2: Is the ascension mod worth a run through now that it works for enhanced edition? I've never played it and might want to give it a go on this run through.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 22, 2019

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Wasn't aware that this was a thing.

I would probably love it if it was ever modded out. Hitting fewer enemies as you level up because they weigh the rolls to stay between 1-5 when you get over level 3 was such an awful thing to put in a D&D game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rocketrobot posted:

I would probably love it if it was ever modded out. Hitting fewer enemies as you level up because they weigh the rolls to stay between 1-5 when you get over level 3 was such an awful thing to put in a D&D game.

To my knowledge, every single edition of D&D uses a d20 to determine to hit rolls, you probably wouldn't be able to hit almost anything if you can't roll higher than a 5 at level 3.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Skwirl posted:

To my knowledge, every single edition of D&D uses a d20 to determine to hit rolls, you probably wouldn't be able to hit almost anything if you can't roll higher than a 5 at level 3.

It's not exactly that severe. But, close enough.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nearly broke the slave quest by... going to the compound without fully exploring the Copper Coronet. Was wondering why no one seemed to care about me freeing the kiddies

All good though, wiki'ed it to see what's up and got to do a "I've already solved that" dialogue response :smug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When is Baldur's Gate 3 set?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nearly broke the slave quest by... going to the compound without fully exploring the Copper Coronet. Was wondering why no one seemed to care about me freeing the kiddies

All good though, wiki'ed it to see what's up and got to do a "I've already solved that" dialogue response :smug:

I first solved that sidequest accidentally by walking straight into a restricted area instead of the viewing area for the fighting pits, and only like last year did I find the spot Lehtinan was directing you to. :saddowns:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zeerust posted:

I first solved that sidequest accidentally by walking straight into a restricted area instead of the viewing area for the fighting pits, and only like last year did I find the spot Lehtinan was directing you to. :saddowns:

:lol: I managed to find the fair lasses and the sewer entrance before the arena

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

When is Baldur's Gate 3 set?

Some time after 1482 since that's when Murder in Baldur's Gate takes place.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Zeerust posted:

I did that first time and have basically never visited the viewing area in any of my subsequent playthroughs.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Cavalier's fear immunity stops the berserk effect from that +3 two-handed sword?

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 24, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeerust posted:

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Cavalier's fear immunity stops the berserk effect from that +3 two-handed sword?

I don't remember, but is that a cursed sword? If so, I don't think immunities block cursed items. I could be wrong. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Also fear immunity doesn't grant immunity to berserk status effect. They aren't the same.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm almost certain nothing blocks Berserk.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For anyone that uses an Ultrawide Screen, I found a new custom resolution that works with the WEIDU patches without making the game super small: 1512x648. This is close as you can get on a 21x9 screen to fill the screen and still have the same closer view of the game as it was original intended to be played at a resolution no more than 800x600. I'm playing Icewind Dale 2 now with this resolution and aside from the UI being black on one side, it works superbly and looks great.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zeerust posted:

There's a 'Caspenar' like mod for BG1 out there, one of the options is removing the curse effect from the sword.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I don't remember, but is that a cursed sword? If so, I don't think immunities block cursed items. I could be wrong. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Cavaliers and Blackguards can use Durlag's Goblet without repercussions, I believe, due to their fear immunity.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SoggyBobcat posted:

Cavaliers and Blackguards can use Durlag's Goblet without repercussions, I believe, due to their fear immunity.

Yeah this is one of the most overpowered items in the game in my opinion. Fear is really easy to protect against, so it's basically just a full heal for whoever needs it. Doesn't break the bank to sell/re-buy it either which gives it 50 charges. It's particularly broken paired with Berserker kitted warriors since the rage means they can't be incapacitated so there's nothing to stop them healing to fill each round.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm almost certain nothing blocks Berserk.

You would think that Chaotic Commands would. But, I've never tried to defend vs a cursed sword with it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

rocketrobot posted:

You would think that Chaotic Commands would. But, I've never tried to defend vs a cursed sword with it.

It doesn't. As a minor sidenote, the description says it protects from Psionic Blasts, but it doesn't, it protects from Psionic Maze.

There's a Cure Berserk opcode, but it doesn't work on the sword-induced berserk because that gets applied as a persistent effect.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Just started BG1 as a Fighter/Mage with Kagain, Imoen, Rasaad, Neera, and Branwen in my party. What advice do you guys have for keeping my reputation under 19 so Kagain doesn't up and leave my party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Arrrthritis posted:

Just started BG1 as a Fighter/Mage with Kagain, Imoen, Rasaad, Neera, and Branwen in my party. What advice do you guys have for keeping my reputation under 19 so Kagain doesn't up and leave my party?

Go to the place with the fishermen (where you find Drzzt) and kill one when you get to 17 or 18