Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Run one down.

Easy mode run. Level 35, so not eligible for the < 100 toxx. Maybe whatever my next run is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1LHdj6oZPA

I have 45-50 minutes to kill, so I thought I'd share what's going on right now.

I'm struggling with the crystals. Despite some advice from the pros, the plan to get the nonearth crystals down close to 3333 and then do a hail mary titan spam to reduce these down to 1 just isn't happening. Rather than backtrack to find some more gaia gear, or try to work out the best way to play this boss, I've decided to see if I can simply exhaust the boss MP.

My Bard is hidden, the rest are dead.

Three crystals are spamming their spells, taking about 6 seconds per round here. They have 10,000MP each and the spell costs 25MP. To exhaust 10kMP with something that costs 25MP each round will take 400 rounds. At 6 seconds a round it'll take 2400 seconds, so about 40 minutes, and some more for good measure.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 22, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Aqua breath is out of MP, just waiting on Aeroga and Firaga.

E: the "not enough MP" message adds 2 seconds onto the round time. Worst case scenario, then, is a 10 second round. Even if it were 10 seconds from the start it'd take an hour and six minutes, but it wasn't this way from the start and might not get to 10 seconds so still in under an hour of waiting, right?

E: Aeroga is down. Just waiting on Firaga.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 22, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's got to be a less painful strategy. What's your team?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

There's got to be a less painful strategy. What's your team?

Knight, Summoner, Bard, Dancer

The initial strategy was to get golem up, hit the crystals with the knight until they're just above 3333 and then get speed on and go nuts with the Titan summons to get the last half HP down on the top three elements. Then I'd be left with the Earth crystal and idk break some rods or something.

However, even with max summons I don't have enough titans to not give the crystals another turn, so those three are all active and they own everyone.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Counted these. Thank you! :)

For future reference: how close to being dead is petrification? Somehow I recalled that it's pretty much the same except more easy to heal, but now I'm not sure...

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Finished my run with the idiots who can't use magic (thief, berzerker, ninja, dancer)

I probably should have prepared more before running head first into The Void. The only reason I managed a win was a savestate where the bit that casts Almagest got nuked off by a reflected attack. Everyone was rocking ribbons and reflect rings so the rest of the fight was throwing about a million shurikens and trying not to die to metor.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If one of these things can tpk on its own, it's no surprise I can't handle the four.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Knight, Summoner, Bard, Dancer

The initial strategy was to get golem up, hit the crystals with the knight until they're just above 3333 and then get speed on and go nuts with the Titan summons to get the last half HP down on the top three elements. Then I'd be left with the Earth crystal and idk break some rods or something.

However, even with max summons I don't have enough titans to not give the crystals another turn, so those three are all active and they own everyone.

You can get your speed up, cast Golem, beat up a crystal, heal, and repeat. It's slow but pretty safe.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Do job fairs update your "official" personal page? I donated to fair into a beastmaster to complement my blue mage, but page never updated.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Do job fairs update your "official" personal page? I donated to fair into a beastmaster to complement my blue mage, but page never updated.

I believe it does but it's manual, whereas the one Gilgabot gives you is automatic.

EDIT: Manual for Revenant.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gilgabot gave me Ranger for my wind job and Samurai for my water job. I don't know what I did wrong :saddowns:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Gilgabot gave me Ranger for my wind job and Samurai for my water job. I don't know what I did wrong :saddowns:

those classes are both great and you should be playing fiesta mod!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Any options for Omega with Dancer/Thief/Geo/Knight?

Chicken Knife Sword Dances and Coral Sword attacks are strong enough to get through Omega's defenses.

As far as surviving Omega being Omega... no. No, your options are to pick a god and pray. You can kill him but the question is if you really want to lose the time it'd take to grind up to level 60-something or higher just for a chance.

Fenix Alheron
Oct 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

those classes are both great and you should be playing fiesta mod!

I wanted to do a "normal" fiesta run, though. I guess I can make a burner Twitter account to try registering again after I figure out what I did wrong.

Asterid
Feb 20, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Last year I bit off a bit more than most people could chew with my donation incentive. This year I'll keep it simple.
  1. For every goon who kills NED with two Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $5.
  2. For every goon who kills NED with three Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $25.
  3. For the first goon who kills NED with four Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $125; for any subsequent goons, $50 (while supplies last).
Only one goon can claim the big money. For all other runs, in any combination, the cap is $200.

Never wanna run this combo again but run complete :toot:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Just for the record, I want to say that I appreciate this. Olaf, berserker!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Is this game kind of buggy on Android? My sound suddenly stopped working and crashes every now and then... Been playing fine until I got the ship.

Edit: nm just had to restart my phone I guess

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 22, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I wanted to do a "normal" fiesta run, though. I guess I can make a burner Twitter account to try registering again after I figure out what I did wrong.

oh lol

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If you're trying to figure out if you got a good team or not, remember this:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks for everyone's advice on how to get out of this rut. Somewhere between the bum rush with titans and the flametongue damage to the earth crystal emerged the idea that...

...and I have no idea where you crazy people get this from...

...to go confuse a bird so it'll cast float on a party member, saving them from the earthquakes that kill me in the end?

How do you guys know this stuff?

Either way this is a wild ride.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Azza Bamboo posted:

How do you guys know this stuff?

This sort of knowledge comes to you with practice, honestly. You do three or four runs a year for four or five years, you start learning real weird, esoteric things about the way this game is glued together.

Some of that weird esoteric stuff has been seen as a bug and patched out of the version you're playing (which is why a lot of people will sneer at it as "the worst") but some of it was the game working as intended.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 23, 2019

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

derra posted:

Phoneposting, but I'll redo my pledge from last year. I'll pull it up tonight if no one beats me to it.

Edit: got it

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

After 4 years, I'm at 82 triple crowns in a row, all but the first 2 chaos. Think I'll push for the big 100.

Samuel Clemens, blakelmenakle, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Osci, Mega64, Bregor

A pretty fun challenge, but I literally rolled the four most broken classes. So, doing this at a low level was a forgone conclusion. Hero drinks, power potions, and goblin punch did a lot of the heavy lifting to conserve on turtle shells and uneeded exp grinding.

Everyone was level 23 or 24.

I don't think I've ever done a no750 run. So, maybe a braveblade run is next.

E: I got knight without having to job fair. It was meant to be.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 23, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The beautiful moment where Galuf fights Exdeath with his dying breath, saving the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOnuyjpc2sU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Rolling W2 right now with Freelancer/Ninja/Monk/Dragoon.

It's fun mashing A and steamrolling encounters, I just wish the Monk and Dragoon were more relevant. I guess Monk is good for giving stats to Freelancer, who's been helpful between copious rod breakage, Healing Staff, and constant whippings.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Some of that weird esoteric stuff has been seen as a bug and patched out of the version you're playing (which is why a lot of people will sneer at it as "the worst") but some of it was the game working as intended.

To be fair, it's hard to look at some of what worked in the GBA version and think that it's how the game was meant to work.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Mostly the Omega !Calm thing, which iirc only works on GBA. Same with full-damage-heal Vampire. Although !Calming Omega is so funny I'd personally say it's worth keeping, especially since loving up the pattern still means getting turned into paste by a metal potato.

But they made a lot of changes that weren't related to bugs for no reason but to limit options. I don't give a hot gay gently caress what Matrix thinks, I should be allowed to fistfight an angry rug <:mad:>

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Like Clockwork posted:

But they made a lot of changes that weren't related to bugs for no reason but to limit options. I don't give a hot gay gently caress what Matrix thinks, I should be allowed to fistfight an angry rug <:mad:>

Honestly I'll give Matrix a lot of deserved flak - I don't like the mobile artstyle and its application has signs of cut corners - but honestly I feel like limiting options wasn't their idea. Yes, Matrix hates fun, but also remember who hired Matrix.

Matrix had nothing at all to do with the Sealed Temple, for instance. Those are the people who we should be mad at about this.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Why isn't there a #regChaos without duplicates (or, the same thing I guess, a #regPureChaos without Freelancer and Mimic)?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Did you know that with Flare Blade, a Mini'd character can still do around 1000 damage per !Rapidfire hit? Faris knew. Faris also knew how to dodge countless Meteors, Vacuum Waves and Almagests long after Flexdeath hit rage mode and everyone else fell away. What a hero. Fulfils this toxx and then some. Thanks to Mega64 for finding it, it doesn't seem to be in the third post.

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Also I killed Shinryu since, y'know, Wonder Wand and Dark Bow.

This was my first time using Project Demi, so I guess I'll give my thoughts on that too. I used the Boss EXP variant, thinking I wouldn't have the patience to grind random battles between bosses, but I wound up doing so anyway for drops or whatever so it just meant I wound up way overlevelled. That was a mistake, I'll definitely try without it next time. Besides that, it pretty much did what it set out to do well, and getting through the game faster was really nice, but I really missed a few things from GBA like the more detailed shop menu and actually useful item sorting. If anyone ever makes a similar thing for the GBA version it's gonna be the best way to play this game, no question (barring first-time players wanting to experience the plot and such).

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 23, 2019

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Did you know that with Flare Blade, a Mini'd character can still do around 1000 damage per !Rapidfire hit? Faris knew. Faris also knew how to dodge countless Meteors, Vacuum Waves and Almagests long after Flexdeath hit rage mode and everyone else fell away. What a hero.

Great stuff! So Faris dealt with, what, two NED parts on their own?

Somehow it feels like a lot of triple crown screenshots have had mini'd people this year; I can't think of any plausible reason why that'd be because there's no job that'd deal with mini, but still.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What elements does Magus Rod boost?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

What elements does Magus Rod boost?

Everything but Water and Holy.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

:toxx:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

So, uh, this might actually happen:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kheldarn posted:

Everything but Water and Holy.

Leviathan, "It's just bad."™

Also, I find it really funny that the best summon is the ghost of my pet dragon puking all over everyone.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The real reward for killing leviathan is the reflect ring it drops

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Poque posted:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

I hate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I pulled Ranger as my first job in my second run and I thought it was going to be a nightmare but holy poo poo Animals is really nice early on