Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Serephina posted:

There's still a thriving DOOM multiplayer scene? The gently caress?
I pay zero attention to it so I have no idea how healthy it is

Don’t people still play Odamex, Zandronum, ZDaemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Serephina posted:

.... welcome to the thread?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Serephina posted:

I remember having a lot of fun in skulltag with co-op maps.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Wait are we talking about a thriving Doom multiplayer scene or a thriving DOOM multiplayer scene? Hm? Because the former doesn't surprise me in the slightest and I will only disregard the latter as hearsay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait are we talking about a thriving Doom multiplayer scene or a thriving DOOM multiplayer scene? Hm? Because the former doesn't surprise me in the slightest and I will only disregard the latter as hearsay.

If you mean Doom 4 say doom 4 because gently caress that confusing naming. But the context was about doom 2 so no, not doom 4.

Doom 4 multiplayer sucked bad and played different from the single player, and to make matters worse they put out a map dlc and split the community. It was nothing but a hot mess. Nah nobody gives a poo poo about that.

If you wanted Doom 4 multi you just played Quake Champions but that's only so popular itself.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
someone host a classic quake stock maps only ffa dm server thanks in advance

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

If you mean Doom 4 say doom 4 because gently caress that confusing naming. But the context was about doom 2 so no, not doom 4.

Doom 4 multiplayer sucked bad and played different from the single player, and to make matters worse they put out a map dlc and split the community. It was nothing but a hot mess. Nah nobody gives a poo poo about that.

If you wanted Doom 4 multi you just played Quake Champions but that's only so popular itself.

But why would they say "DOOM" when they mean "Doom 2"--why wouldn't they say "Doom 2". There are already two "Doom"s: Doom, and DOOM. And also Doom 2, which is different than the two Dooms on account of the number 2 in its title (well technically "II"). It's pretty easy to tell when somebody means "Doom" or "DOOM", and if you're having a conversation, you just put additional verbal emphasis on "DOOM" so they know which installment you're talking about. But I've never understood referring to Doom 2 as Doom.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 23, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think you mean "DooM".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

But why would they say "DOOM" when they mean "Doom 2"--why wouldn't they say "Doom 2". There are already two "Doom"s: Doom, and DOOM. And also Doom 2, which is different than the two Dooms on account of the number 2 in its title (well technically "II"). It's pretty easy to tell when somebody means "Doom" or "DOOM", and if you're having a conversation, you just put additional verbal emphasis on "DOOM" so they know which installment you're talking about. But I've never understood referring to Doom 2 as Doom.

Uh, because its the same engine? Doom 2 is basically an expansion. I've seen people refer to it as "Doom I/II" pretty often, since people bounce between them pretty fast and they feel so similar. If you're playing a custom WAD, the lines get blurred.

IDK man read the post they're replying to, context clues.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've been calling it Re2ard.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

I've been calling it Re2ard.

Except that's DOOM: Eternal, since DOOM was "Ret4rd" and Eternal's the sequel. Keep up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
re2ard re2urious

*ahem*

Adventures of Square has been given a v2.1 update for QuakeCon, making various changes and tweaks to the maps (for example, removing the big orange building from E2A3 and turning it into a DM/Time Attack map) while fixing bugs and renovating things under the hood.

Also, while I'm posting stuff, here's something I missed earlier: The massive Alien Armageddon mod for Duke3D has released preview footage of a weird upcoming episode, Galactic Gladiators, that consists of faux-multiplayer against bot-like monsters in a number of maps and modes. Odd, and probably a nightmare of CON code, but kind of cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGAzoSbsrmw

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let’s be like movies and go DOOM (1993), DOOM (1995), Doom (2005) and DOOM (2016). The rest can all be distinguished by numbers and additional titles. iD/Bethesda capitalizes the name on the storefront*, so we should adhere to that :eng101:

*It’s listed as “Doom 3: BFG Edition” on Steam, but the rest of the store page uses “DOOM”.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 23, 2019

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Speaking of faux-multiplayer against bots, is there a way to do that with the og Doom series? I am finishing up Eviternity* and thought some good old DM or TDM would be a nice change of pace with some graphics or weapon mods.

* With Final Doomer, one weapon set per episode, just like Arivia from the previous page! Samesies

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Artelier posted:

Speaking of faux-multiplayer against bots, is there a way to do that with the og Doom series? I am finishing up Eviternity* and thought some good old DM or TDM would be a nice change of pace with some graphics or weapon mods.
There are (utterly busted, untouched in probably 19 years) bots built into GZDoom and better (but still pretty butt) bots built into Zandronum.

There are some attempts at building newer bots in ZScript, like ZetaBot, but they're fairly early in development.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I'd go with Zandronum's bots. They're not super great but if you crank up the difficulty on them they can sometimes put up a fight--at least long enough to scratch that MP itch.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Because all of ~Classic Doom~ is just called Doom collectively. Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom TNT, Final Doom Plutonia, all of that is Doom. You use the same program to play any of them. It just so happens that Doom II is by far the most played part of Doom.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I played up to map07 on Sunder + Guncaster, and I'm going to stop here. I don't really enjoy that much the OPness of mods like Guncaster (even when I played it with a -30% less player damage!), and I had enough of slaughter maps, I can play and appreciate a pair, but not 20 maps one after another (and with a increasing enemy count). The visual design of Sunder was pretty interesting, a pity there isn't a way to play with like, half the enemies (and even then it would still be slaughter maps!), as it doesn't have difficulty options.

I started Adventures of Square, (a big change from Sunder lol) and I can see how it got a cacoaward. Behind the innocent and silly looking aspect, it's a very solid experience, with maps with good flow, competent encounter design and surprisingly good weapons. Really, they are paint guns so you could imagine they are crappy but they feel very nice and the enemies blow up satisfyingly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhVWdoq448

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Let’s be like movies and go DOOM (1993), DOOM (1995), Doom (2005) and DOOM (2016). The rest can all be distinguished by numbers and additional titles. iD/Bethesda capitalizes the name on the storefront*, so we should adhere to that :eng101:

*It’s listed as “Doom 3: BFG Edition” on Steam, but the rest of the store page uses “DOOM”.

Easy just go

DooM
DoOM
DOoM
DOOM

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just use Do4m like nature intended, you fools.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it came out in 2016 so Doooooooooooooooom

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its Doom 4 and Bethesda made a joke about that on stage at E3 so Im sticking to it

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

so logically it should be spelled doooom except with 2016 "o"s every time

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
show, don't tell

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Soricidus posted:

show, don't tell

dooooooooooooo ... ooooooooooom

I did the legwork (and apparently so did Soricidus); it's two thousand and sixteen of them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

now what do we do about Doom Eternal

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hwurmp posted:

Gripe, eternally.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was fine with Vega telling you "I've scanalyzed your murder armor and discovered a series of optional upgrade challenges" but floating powerups are just too videogame sir

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What if they add something like a farm where collectible doomguys craft upgrades for you?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

give all the guns AIs that look like girls and you upgrade your guns by going inside them and dating them

e: Vega-chan is the special ending that needs maxed stats obviously

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hwurmp posted:

give all the guns AIs that look like girls and you upgrade your guns by going inside them and dating them

e: Vega-chan is the special ending that needs maxed stats obviously

It’s the DOOM + Ar Tonelico crossover that no one wants!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s the DOOM + Ar Tonelico crossover that no one wants!

indeed nobody would ever want dating mechanics in Doom

haha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Betruger-YourHellAwaits.wav

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Do5m.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Soricidus posted:

show, don't tell

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I like how the site can't handle it and it cuts it off

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nu-Doom is Doooom and Doom Eternal is Dooooom. Doom 3 of course becomes Dooom. Doom II is just Doom. And Doom 1, of course, becomes The Ultimate Dom.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

never mind I got it

D∞m

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

What if they add something like a farm where collectible doomguys craft upgrades for you?

I would lose my mind for a doomguy garden

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Artelier posted:

* With Final Doomer, one weapon set per episode, just like Arivia from the previous page! Samesies

What were your weapon set/episode choices?

And yes, I got the idea from this thread. They’re good complements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Llamadeus posted:

I think you mean "DooM".

Get it right.