Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Someone made an off the cuff remark in this thread about how despite the show being pretty good Frasier is an unquestionably terrible absentee father and I can’t let it go noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Someone made an off the cuff remark in this thread about how despite the show being pretty good Frasier is an unquestionably terrible absentee father and I can’t let it go noooooo

On the one hand, yeah. On the other hand, most of the Frederick episodes sucked

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just assume that Frasier sees Freddie loads offscreen. Unless you're saying you wish Freddie had been in more episodes?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but maybe Freddy wouldn’t have turned into a sad sack goth loser if his rich father hadn’t bailed on him to go follow his dreams in Seattle or whatever :ohdear:

Edit: Freddy being lovely was a writing choice, they could have written episodes about how Freddy was cool but didn’t respect Frasier, or episodes about Lilith’s new boyfriend/hisband trying to win him over, Freddy being way more like Marty than like Frasier, they just consistently leaned into Freddy/Lilith episodes being about how annoying it is to have family, which not what we want in our escapism!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kids in sitcoms are always awful.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

Kids in sitcoms are always awful.

Yeah it's more this; I get Freddie as a character and everything but with a few exceptions I'm maybe half remembering none of his episodes were that great. Kids make great plot devices and then you want them off screen so you don't have to have a child actor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Again, it seems like they were willing to try in earlier seasons, that Season 1 episode has Frasier calling Freddie, which is really an easy trick to do since we don't even have to hear Freddie's voice.

At some point I think the writers just realized no one cared anymore.

E: vvv extremely :agreed: one of the funniest scenes in the whole show

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 23, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Freddie was worth it for the Klingon bar mitzvah.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

the show is definitely fudging the math on lilith having sole custody with frasier only having visitation privileges a bit

but it's not too off base since some divorced couples have arrangements where instead of visiting every other weekend the non-custodian gets it all in a couple blocks - if freddie visits twice a year for 3 weeks that brings it back to par for sole custody, the showrunners just lump freddie's christmas vacation into one episode instead of 3

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nathilus posted:

I'm not just frontin' either. Everyone was legit cool and totally not stuck up at all. Kelsey himself had a very good relationship with everyone else on cast as well, so I was told. He just happened to not be there this specific time cuz he was off shooting somewhere.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i always read that his personalty and narcotics additions led to quite a strain in his relations with his peers this is a nice counterpoint to hear

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Can you say if it was it Down Periscope, The Pentagon Wars or Toy Story 2?

Okay, I have to tell my Kelsey Grammer story.

I've mentioned in other threads (the MilHist thread) that I was a curator on USS Pampanito, the submarine (a museum since WWII) used in Down Periscope.

Remember the scene when they're out in a storm and have to rig a light to the mast? Well, that scene was filmed early on, when the boat was still down at Fisherman’s Wharf. (It was towed to the North Bay for other scenes.) You can’t really see anything in the background due to the storm, and it was easier for them to bring in water for the rain.

The sub museum used to do Cub/Boy Scout tours and camping expeditions. They’d get a full tour, and some groups would spend a day or night on the sub. They’d set up watches, eat a meal cooked in the (still working) galley, etc. These trips were a lot of fun for the kids. We tried to re-schedule all of the groups that were supposed to have the boat during filming, but there was one group scheduled for a day on the boat, driving in from the Central Valley, that we couldn’t get ahold of.

So here’s how Hollywood films a “storm.” Remember how they were up on the periscope getting drenched with rain? Well, they can’t wait for a day when it rains. They make their own storm. With fire-hoses. You know you’re in for a bad time when they bring in multiple huge tanks full of water.

Ever been to San Francisco? It doesn’t snow there, but there’s a constant foggy, clammy cold in the air. It just bites through you.

Filming started just as it got dark. Kelsey Grammer and Duane Martin went up on that mast, exposed to the wind – and they just soaked them with the hoses. The first time they got hit with that water they almost fell off, even though they were lashed to the mast. That water was ice cold. They recovered, acted out the scene – cut.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

They filmed All. drat. Night.

Around midnight they let Grammer and Martin down, wrapped them up with towels, let them get inside into our only real building on the pier, a big toolshed, and gave them hot coffee. Half an hour later they were back up there tied to the masts, getting blasted with high pressure ice water.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

It was just miserable. Everyone who wasn’t with the film crew felt awful for them. The film crew didn’t care – “that’s why they make the big bucks, turn the hoses on 'em again.” Over and over and over. They stopped filming when the sun started to come up. They were just miserable, pale and shaking, soaked to the bone and freezing.

And then the Boy/Cub Scouts showed up.

They came down the pier, ready for their tour, and saw the filming. One of them saw Grammer, wretched and shivering, and said “it’s Frasier!” (This was the mid-90’s, when kids would recognize Frasier or know about the show Cheers.)

Now, by any reasonable standard Grammer should have waved and said something like hey, kids, good to see you and left. Or he could have ducked out entirely.

But he was such a pro that even though filming was done he stayed there and hung out with the kids. He told them stories about being an actor, cracked them up telling jokes, told them about Cheers and how he got into acting, you name it.

It was amazing. Again, there he was, hit by ice-cold fire-hoses all drat night, freezing cold and sleepless, but when it came time to tell jokes to the kids, there he was, goofing around with them, singing silly songs, giving them a great time. And not on camera, either. Everyone involved in filming was packing up and leaving, but he was there for the kids, and no one else would ever know he’d done it. He stayed with them for about two hours, them laughing the whole time, until they left to get their tour of the sub – and then he finally went and changed into dry clothes.

I have no doubt that the guy is a jackass, but I still have to respect for him for that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hard counter posted:

the show is definitely fudging the math on lilith having sole custody with frasier only having visitation privileges a bit

but it's not too off base since some divorced couples have arrangements where instead of visiting every other weekend the non-custodian gets it all in a couple blocks - if freddie visits twice a year for 3 weeks that brings it back to par for sole custody, the showrunners just lump freddie's christmas vacation into one episode instead of 3

I don't think it's too uncommon for amicably divorced couples to schedule visitation around what works for them, especially when they live a significant distance apart.

I think the main deal is that kids don't usually work in sitcoms without showing the family to be even more hosed up than usual because kids don't do a lot of the same kind of funny stuff that adults do, on top of all the issues with child actors, and of course we don't see all of Frasier's life, just the parts that make for episode stories. So it can probably be assumed most visits with Frederick are relatively uneventful and ordinary.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't think their visitation was as cut and dried as "every other weekend" or "three weeks a year" or whatever, Frasier and Lilith are both very well off professionals that could arguably care for their child's needs better alone than shunting him off across the country several times a year. When Freddie shows up for Christmas or a visit Frasier is always freaking out and trying to make it a red letter event, but at the same time the show really goes out of its way to display the increasing levels of alienation he feels from his son culminating in the "first camping trip" that wasn't actually Freddie's first.

Speaking of Freddie episodes, the spelling bee one drives me nuts because everyone knows the national spelling bee is hosted in D.C., not fuckin' Seattle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lilith feels like the type that would keep Freds around for... nonspecific scientific inquiry.

"The Weekend Father need not be The Weakened Father" :3:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

I don't think their visitation was as cut and dried as "every other weekend" or "three weeks a year" or whatever, Frasier and Lilith are both very well off professionals that could arguably care for their child's needs better alone than shunting him off across the country several times a year.

oh probably not, i was just meaning the show writers were probably influenced by public perceptions of divorce in the late 80s, and used the old status quo to fudge the math on how frequently frasier sees freddie given that little visitation was normal back then - i don't think frasier was intended as an absentee father, just a typical divorced dad

lilith and frasier probably didn't have a cut-and-dry arrangement but they probably aimed at a number that would've been downright good for the era, 3 weeks here, 2 weeks there maybe a week depending on the schedule

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Frasier also mentions a few times that he's gone to see Freddy in Boston. I'm thinking he goes out to visit him more than Freddy comes to see him. I did really like the episode where Freddy tells him he doesn't think he's perfect because he's seen him run.

edit:
And I'd still love to see a Frasier spin off where Freddy has become a detective in his grandfather's footsteps and wound up marrying a woman a bunch like Daphne or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something something Detective Pikachu sequel.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

really powerful image of an emotionally exhausted frasier shouting "PIKACHU!" and then after a pause & much quieter "i choose you"

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Niles being inexplicably proud and snooty about his friendship with Mr. Mime

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:
And I'd still love to see a Frasier spin off where Freddy has become a detective in his grandfather's footsteps and wound up marrying a woman a bunch like Daphne or something.

sounds good but there's no way detective freddie isn't ending up with a goth gf who has a whole bunch of high level degrees - it drives grandpa frasier mad because he sees parallels with lilith that aren't actually there

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Cosmik Slop posted:

Niles being inexplicably proud and snooty about his friendship with Mr. Mime

Niles would only have the fanciest pokemon

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess it’s important to remember that having been raised by intensely psychoanalytical people, Freddie had absolutely no choice but to grow up as an incredibly fractured and crazy person.

Seriously, getting a degree in psychiatry should come with a vasectomy or a hysterectomy, you aren’t good parents, you just make perfectly crazy people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess it’s important to remember that having been raised by intensely psychoanalytical people, Freddie had absolutely no choice but to grow up as an incredibly fractured and crazy person.

Seriously, getting a degree in psychiatry should come with a vasectomy or a hysterectomy, you aren’t good parents, you just make perfectly crazy people.

Lol the episode where Frasier and Lillith realise Frederick has been playing them against each other for his own gain and they conclude that he's a perfectly normal teenager.

The Pokemon crossover jokes have a weird dimension given that humans with psychic powers also exist in Pokemon.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What?

CRAYNE is evolving!

CRAYNE evolved into TWINSTON!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

"Remember the bottle at the end of the maze?"

"I kinda regret doing that"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/alex_abads/status/1144433517465673729

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Cosmik Slop posted:

What?

CRAYNE is evolving!

CRAYNE evolved into TWINSTON!

I know I’ve said it before but wasting the potential of Cam Winston as a character is one of the biggest flaws of the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
His actor wasn't particularly good, he just had a great voice.

Everything involved with the Condo Board is terrible anyway

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 30, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FilthyImp posted:

His actor wasn't particularly good, he just had a great voice.

Everything involved with the Condo Board is terrible anyway

Except this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AOc0RBl5xQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I need to watch that episode with Odo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cam Winston should have been played by Avery Brooks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dr. Tewksbury actually showed up in two episodes. In one of them he slept with Roz. :pseudo:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Timby posted:

Dr. Tewksbury actually showed up in two episodes. In one of them he slept with Roz. :pseudo:

Frasier's mentors seem to follow a pattern. In Cheers it was Dr. Bennett Ludlow, who wound up sleeping with Carla.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really wish Harry the Hat had made an appearance on Frasier. Michael Keaton almost filled in the gap, but not quite.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I really wish Harry the Hat had made an appearance on Frasier. Michael Keaton almost filled in the gap, but not quite.

maybe he was contractually obligated to only portray dave barry at that point

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Holy crap how long have I had this avatar?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Holy crap how long have I had this avatar?

lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Frasier/Seinfeld mash up incoming.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status/1146462865429164033

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted: