Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I loved the scene in one of the books with Perturabo where the Iron Warriors are standing around on a battlefield and the Emperor's Children show up, with their garish pinks and purples and nipple piercings and whatever other crazy things they lug around. Are Noise Marines still canon? I can't remember if it described them or not. It was a funny scene comparing the two legions and how crazy the Children are.
They released a pretty cool Noise Marine mini in the retro style this year and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Noise marines are definitely still canon and one of my favorite things about 40k. So loving metal.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Perturabo is by far my favourite primarch. He's guy breaking the 4th wall all "this is all wrong! this world is poo poo!"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

D-Pad posted:

Noise marines are definitely still canon and one of my favorite things about 40k. So loving metal.

More like noice marines.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just finished Solar War. Really enjoyed it.

Lol at Dorn though.

Legion Psykers are absolutely forbidden! :colbert:

In fact we're literally going to lock them in cells and shoot them if they so much as think about using their powers.

*Dorn and his precious flagship are personally threatened by warp fuckery*

Welp. :shrug: I guess Psykers are actually cool and good.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if I wanted to dip into the Horus Heresy novels, enough to get a decent idea of what happened leading up to the siege of Terra, but avoiding the bad novels, what books would people suggest I track down and in what reading order should I read them? I know that people have said that some novels that take place earlier in the various storylines came out after ones that take place later.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Randalor posted:

So if I wanted to dip into the Horus Heresy novels, enough to get a decent idea of what happened leading up to the siege of Terra, but avoiding the bad novels, what books would people suggest I track down and in what reading order should I read them? I know that people have said that some novels that take place earlier in the various storylines came out after ones that take place later.

Start with Horus Rising, the very first one. It's a neat collection of three stories tied together showing you what Horus' legion was like before he went all Chaos-y, and Abnett as always writes fun action. After that, uh, ask someone who has read them all.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Bearing in mind there's 50+ books to read. I'd say this was my absolutely ruthless list.

Original trilogy
Know No Fear
Betrayer
Vengful Spirit
Praetorian of Dorn
Master of Mankind

Which is still 8 books, but is a managable amount, rather than attempting to read 30 of them and burning out.

Yes I know this skips entire plot threads, but nothing you couldn't live without, or get the gist of from reading these.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I started with Betrayer (because chain axes) after Horus Rising and kind of wish I would have read First Heretic first

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

Original trilogy
Know No Fear
Betrayer
Vengful Spirit
Praetorian of Dorn
Master of Mankind

I would switch out Know No Fear for the First Heretic, it sets up so much of Betrayer and for the series overall. Even though I think it's the weakest of the "trilogy".

Emperors Spears is very good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Legion is really good and would highly recommend not missing it, although it can be kinda read as a stand alone, same with Mechanicum.

I like'd Fear to Tread cause Sanguinius doesn't get alot of dedicated books but also totally skippable.

The Space wolves/1000 Sons duo is really good too and should be included in the reading list

Scars is really good and Chris Wrights coming out book probably. it did alot to give them character. highly reccomend but also not required.

So add the wolves/1000 sons duo to the list and circle back to the other 3 on an airplane

first heretic should be on it 1000000%

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I liked the contained story of Legion quite a lot, but the conclusion was some peak Abnett-rear end oh god I need to wrap this up and I have 2 pages to do so.

”Alpha/Omega you need to join Horus and fight the loyalists or things will go really badly!”
“No!!”
“Yes!!”
“Okay!”

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Deptfordx posted:

Just finished Solar War. Really enjoyed it.

Lol at Dorn though.

Legion Psykers are absolutely forbidden! :colbert:

In fact we're literally going to lock them in cells and shoot them if they so much as think about using their powers.

*Dorn and his precious flagship are personally threatened by warp fuckery*

Welp. :shrug: I guess Psykers are actually cool and good.

Wha? Pretty sure I remember the Dark Angels and Ultramarines just asking their Librarians really nicely not to use their powers

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's been years since I read the heresy books but will never forget the scene where a space marine from the Death Guard hears about the heresy and then risks life and limb to escape back to Terra and inform the Emperor. When he arrives he is promptly arrested and tied to a chair or something and when he tells Dorn that his brother is traitor, Dorn proceeds to beat the ever living poo poo out of him and the death guard just has to sit there and take it out of loyalty to the Imperium and hope he doesn't die before he manages to convince Dorn.

Pretty much ruined Dorn forever for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Katt posted:

It's been years since I read the heresy books but will never forget the scene where a space marine from the Death Guard hears about the heresy and then risks life and limb to escape back to Terra and inform the Emperor. When he arrives he is promptly arrested and tied to a chair or something and when he tells Dorn that his brother is traitor, Dorn proceeds to beat the ever living poo poo out of him and the death guard just has to sit there and take it out of loyalty to the Imperium and hope he doesn't die before he manages to convince Dorn.

Pretty much ruined Dorn forever for me.

Flight for the Einseinstein, if I recall correctly, written by James Shallow, author of other turds like Nemesis or Fear to Tread, so probably bad writing.

Dorne's portrayal has been pretty inconsistent across authors, and he has never been one of the most popular primarchs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I actually liked that characterization of Dorn? Fiercely loyal to his siblings, as he is to the Emperor, and to his chapter.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I actually liked that characterization of Dorn? Fiercely loyal to his siblings, as he is to the Emperor, and to his chapter.

Yeah, I appreciate most depictions of the Primarchs that show how their virtue is related to their weakness or vice versa

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Katt posted:

It probably exists somewhere but I have never read a 40k novel where Imperial guard fights and defeats chaos space marines. I want scenes where guardsmen take down chaos dreadnoughts.

To quote the thread titel - read Eisenhorn. Before he becomes a daemon waffle-stomping murder machine, Eisenhorn's team have a pretty desperate fight with a traitor marine and it really hammers home how dangerous those things are. To the extent that a regular 40k marine is scared to ask how he did it later on.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wha? Pretty sure I remember the Dark Angels and Ultramarines just asking their Librarians really nicely not to use their powers

Yeah, Dorn is loyal to the point of being retarded. Dad said no psyker poo poo? Ok, I'm going to totally lock down EVERYTHING just in case.

Dorn's autistic-level of faith, trust and obidience in authority is one of the better aspects of his character. It's why I love that line from 'Legion' to Alpharius.
"You are not hidebound by Guilliman’s ideals of conduct, or rooted in frenzied tribal tradition like Russ’s warriors, nor are you stalwart lapdogs like Dorn’s famous men, or berserk automatons like Angron’s monsters".

There's a reason the Emperor chose him to sit behind the walls of terra. All the other primarchs want glory or to be at the forefront, but Dorn will obediently stay and fortify the palace. It's why he gets a little testy with Sigsimund as he acts in the total opposite to Dorn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gaunt's Ghosts has at least three instances where the Guard have fought chaos marines and won. The first two moments are in First and Only and Ghostmaker. In First and Only two guard regiments face off with a handful of Iron Warriors and lose dozens of men to bring them down. In Ghostmaker, a squad of Khorne Berserkers is ambushed by the Tanith 1st before they can get a shot off.

The third happens in Traitor General where a handful of the most elite Tanith troopers go up against a full squad of Chaos marines and collectively poo poo their pants because with even numbers the Ghosts dont stand a chance. They barely win thanks to the environment and the aid of local partisans.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Dog_Meat posted:

To quote the thread titel - read Eisenhorn. Before he becomes a daemon waffle-stomping murder machine, Eisenhorn's team have a pretty desperate fight with a traitor marine and it really hammers home how dangerous those things are. To the extent that a regular 40k marine is scared to ask how he did it later on.

Yeah, Dorn is loyal to the point of being retarded. Dad said no psyker poo poo? Ok, I'm going to totally lock down EVERYTHING just in case.
Yeah, but why imprison them? If he's never going to let them out, he might as well have killed them.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

and waste resources?!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Yeah, but why imprison them? If he's never going to let them out, he might as well have killed them.

They have geneseed, don't they?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Keeping a bunch of Marines in a boring hell for a few decades/the rest of their lives is absolutely in keeping with how the Imperium has always worked. They might not be useful yet but that doesn't mean you won't need them later.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

SardonicTyrant posted:

What gave you the impression Dorn won't release them? A Garro anthology story added some context, and Dorn seems completely sensible about the situation.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dog_Meat posted:

My favourite part of that scene is where one of the Eisenhorn's normal human acolytes takes one look at the CSM and vomits. Really hammers home how to 99.99% of the Imperium's inhabitants traitor marines are almost unimaginably horrific creatures.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Abnett manages to be consistently good about portraying space marines to the point where he’s completely contrary to GW’s marketing ethics. In Necropolis they are simply described in hushed tones as an after-siege consequence where they cleanse the deserts of the last remnants of the enemy. This is by far my favourite use of space marines so far because it suitably puts them into this legendary tier of beings citizens only ever hear about.

Necropolis is also the one book I really want adapted to a movie or short series in the vein of Band of Brothers but I wouldn’t ever trust GW to handle it because they’ll put space marines front and center, especially when it’s not appropriate.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Space Marines are best used as something truly unerving and wrong both loyalists and traitors are children stolen from their homes forced to kill children of age with them and then given knowledge through hypnotic implantation and turned into a grotesque charactiture of a strong powerful hero.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
yeah the best stories imo are the ones where the SM turn up, wreck poo poo, and then disappear just as quickly. The myth of them among regular citizens and guardsmen is a lot more interesting.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It might just be Abnett but I liked the bit in start Know no Fear with the ultramarine captain trying to get what he wants from civilians without just stabbing one. Or the one with how the dock workers that are working slower to get better pay in negotiation is just such an alien concept to a space marine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think my favourite thing Abnett ever wrote was the scene in Anarch where Sek is finally revealed. It's really cool because it shows how chaos plays with people's perceptions and shows them what they want to see. Milo sees a giant skeletal being representing the countless deaths SEK is responsible for. The Guard colonel whose name escapes me sees a horrific monster worse than anything before. Holofurnace the Space Marine sees a daemon that could suitably lead and inspire a massive chaos cult. And Mkoll sees nothing more than a man who can be killed. it was such a fantastic way to see into the minds of different characters and show how Chaos sees itself.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
In the Devastation of Baal, there some nice vignettes of regular humans dealing with space marines. Some good stuff about the paralysing fear felt when staring into the skull face of a chaplain who is just asking you for directions.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I still remember a scene in one of the heresy books where Horus takes over an Imperial ship and when he faces down the human captain at the bridge. The overpowering presence of the primarch has the captain and crew stunned and the captain is on the edge of surrendering. Then Horus says something like "how could you possibly think someone like you could stand against someone like me"

This taunt breaks the captain and the crew from their stupor and they pull out their weapons and attack the traitor marines. It then skips to the next scene where the whole crew is dead and a space marine (Abbadon?) asks why Horus taunted the captain to attack when he was about to surrender. Horus explains that he wanted to give the loyal captain a chance to preserve his honour (by dying in battle)

It was kind of a neat scene because Horus maintains a certain respect for common humans, Even through the heresy he's not cartoonishly evil. He thinks he's just a brutally practical man doing the right thing by any means necessary to save humanity

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Plavski posted:

In the Devastation of Baal, there some nice vignettes of regular humans dealing with space marines. Some good stuff about the paralysing fear felt when staring into the skull face of a chaplain who is just asking you for directions.
Similarly there's a great story in one of the three 2nd ed rulebooks where a Lieutenant in the Guard watches a squad of Blood Angels assault marines tearing up some Orks during Armageddon II and he's all "are we sure these guys are on our si.... OH gently caress HE'S COMING THIS WAY".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember in Devastation there was that farmer and his brain damaged son. (He received a nasty blow to the head during training to become a Neophyte for the Blood Angels and flunked out as a result.) At the end of the novel the father and son survived the battle and a Blood Angels apothecary is checking out the injured. After hearing the father's story about how the son flunked out and checking him out, the Apothecary congratulates him that his son is going to become a Blood Angel as his brain damage can be largely fixed and they can't be picky about recruits with all the losses they took. Then regretfully informing the father that he is going to die. As he has gotten Tyranid poison in him and there is no way to save his life, he can ether wait for the poison to painfully kill him or accept a bullet to save himself the pain.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Zasze posted:

Space Marines are best used as something truly unerving and wrong both loyalists and traitors are children stolen from their homes forced to kill children of age with them and then given knowledge through hypnotic implantation and turned into a grotesque charactiture of a strong powerful hero.

I know the new Gulliman fluff is ropey, but I loved the scene where the protagonist is watching him fight and is horrified by what he sees because it hammers home how bad things are that creatures like Primarchs have to exist. That if someone had asked him before if he wanted to see Gulliman fight he'd have been all "gently caress yeah!", but when he actually sees the terrifying reality of it he wishes he hadn't.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dog_Meat posted:

I know the new Gulliman fluff is ropey, but I loved the scene where the protagonist is watching him fight and is horrified by what he sees because it hammers home how bad things are that creatures like Primarchs have to exist. That if someone had asked him before if he wanted to see Gulliman fight he'd have been all "gently caress yeah!", but when he actually sees the terrifying reality of it he wishes he hadn't.

Ropey... does that mean it's inconsistent, poorly written, what? I want it to be good because having Rowboat back sounds so cool... :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I should really get the guilliman books. How many are there?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ropey... does that mean it's inconsistent, poorly written, what? I want it to be good because having Rowboat back sounds so cool... :(
"Ropey" is a generally negative term implying untrustworthiness.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I should really get the guilliman books. How many are there?

Just the two Dark imperium books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009
If y'all haven't played Space Marine yet you should. There's a lot of great bits when you're stomping by guardsmen and they're just like "I actually got to see a Space Marine before I died." Which is also made greater by the super nonplussed and competent lady lieutenant. It's a good game, play it.