Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
That may be the idea but it’s absolutely not how it works now and nobody has any plans to fix it so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Phobeste posted:

That may be the idea but it’s absolutely not how it works now and nobody has any plans to fix it so :shrug:

That's computing in a nutshell, but at least it gives us a lot to talk about in this thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Soricidus posted:

Unaudited third party dependencies exist anywhere, yes, but only in the javascript world is it standard practice to pull in literally hundreds of distinct libraries before you write a single line of your own code. The attack surface is far, far larger.

I'm confused by what your point is because that's exactly what I meant by the text you quoted.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It should be a surmountable task to implement some static analysis in the test phase of a new build, which could alert you about significant changes, new web requests or similar.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

xtal posted:

I think the idea, whether it exists in practice or not, is that those little libraries have more code review and cover more edge cases than the solution you'd write yourself, because they are open source and relied on by all these other projects. In a utopian future, we would all have a single left-pad or is-odd implementation that we decided was optimal as a community.

That's a reasonable motivation to structure the code that way, but most of it should be in a big "extended standard library" project with clear central management. And you shouldn't need a separate download and dependency listing for each function.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If it's going to be like that (tons of external libraries, one function per library etc) it sure would be nice to have some maintainers that vet packages. Something like debian and it's packages.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

xtal posted:

In a utopian future, we would all have a single left-pad or is-odd implementation that we decided was optimal as a community.

What? In a utopia I have to learn what implementation was decided on by a community for every stupid thing? If I want to add padding to a string, it might be my requirements for padding are very specific and easily described in code that I write myself.

What type of utopia is this imaginary hellscape? I feel like the suggestion itself is so bad that I'm already in hell.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Here is a talk done about that npm fiasco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cyib2MgvdM

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nolgthorn posted:

What? In a utopia I have to learn what implementation was decided on by a community for every stupid thing? If I want to add padding to a string, it might be my requirements for padding are very specific and easily described in code that I write myself.

What type of utopia is this imaginary hellscape? I feel like the suggestion itself is so bad that I'm already in hell.

This is partly correct, and I encourage you to move it toward completely correct. If you have special requirements for string padding that aren't included in the One True Left Pad, send a patch. That would be a better idea than writing it yourself, forgetting the edge cases contributed by others in your same position, needing to write tests and maintain it and so on.

I'll also call back to my earlier example: you needed to learn the implementation of the kernel, the drivers, the compiler. You didn't write your own microkernel because Linux is too bloated, too many randoms contributing, or whatever.

For this argument, libraries have an unfairly negative view, and it's mostly because of the overhead of package management, which are implementation details. But libraries are just "other people's code" and you run a lot of other people's code, referred to by other names. The line that's drawn for what constitutes a library versus an OS or whatever is fairly arbitrary.

xtal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 23, 2019

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

What? In a utopia I have to learn what implementation was decided on by a community for every stupid thing? If I want to push an element to an array, it might be my requirements for pushing are very specific and easily described in code that I write myself.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

CS is so powerful because everything is built on abstractions. Abstracting common utility functions instead of writing them yourself is just one example.

What I take issue with is that there are so many abstractions of the same thing that are just minutely different. I would really prefer the universe where common abstractions are made core JS or officially sponsored libraries.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nolgthorn posted:

I feel like you're deliberately taking the least charitable view of their point. I mean, do you seriously think they were suggesting you would not be able to write your own left-pad?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Insisting that some dipshit library isn't that different from an OS seems like a horror.

xtal posted:

That's computing in a nutshell, but at least it gives us a lot to talk about in this thread.

:jerkbag:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

qsvui posted:

Insisting that some dipshit library isn't that different from an OS seems like a horror.

:jerkbag:

require(‘cyan-ansi’)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

xtal posted:

I'll also call back to my earlier example: you needed to learn the implementation of the kernel, the drivers, the compiler. You didn't write your own microkernel because Linux is too bloated, too many randoms contributing, or whatever.

But nobody is advocating for this. Nobody is reducing the complexity of all of the poo poo on node. The key difference is that when some random one liner thing is contributed to the kernel, people look at it, because the kernel is an actual monolithic entity with oversight. It doesn't have a thing where some random downstream library adds stuff and it filters out, and people read all the code. The problem with the way npm works is that the combination of the small size and complexity of a given library and the sheer number of said libraries leads to a self reinforcing cycle of "oh i skimmed its readme and maybe a couple files and I'm an experienced dev, I know how I'd do this even though I don't have the time to and I assume it's good so I'll slurp it on up". No consistent code review, and you follow this path: easy to make small library -> easy to use small library -> people keep libraries small -> there's a shitload of them -> i should first look for tiny packages because why reinvent even the tiniest wheel -> Where the gently caress did all this code come from?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

This is partly correct, and I encourage you to move it toward completely correct. If you have special requirements for string padding that aren't included in the One True Left Pad, send a patch. That would be a better idea than writing it yourself, forgetting the edge cases contributed by others in your same position, needing to write tests and maintain it and so on.

Part of the difficulty here is that the more simple and pure you get, the more difficult your special cases can be. If you have the need to use is-odd, you probably have a use case where you want to consider what a non integer or Infinity input mean in your case. The micro definition where strings are even helps nobody.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

xtal posted:

There is absolutely no reason to cover every single edge case. I know what my code is doing and what to expect out of it and if the requirements change I can easily change my code. There are very few packages that are justified such that they fulfil a relatively complex yet similarly specific task.

All the rest of it is people looking for projects to contribute to instead of building something.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There should just be one large function implemented on npm that handles all possible edge cases of all possible behaviors a function should have, and as long as you import and call that function the right way your program is done no matter who you are or what you're making

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
*five minutes later* we regret to inform you that the function is a switch statement between 2000 different 5-line functions written by russian cybercriminals

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
brb reimplementing eval in a way that's fundamentally incompatible and more annoying to use

pull requests to make everything else use it coming soon

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Jabor posted:

brb reimplementing eval in a way that's fundamentally incompatible and more annoying to use

pull requests to make everything else use it coming soon

way to reinvent JSON.parse()

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

xtal posted:

You didn't write your own microkernel because Linux is too bloated, too many randoms contributing, or whatever.

I mean, I might've? Even with the rt patches, rt Linux is a joke.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Part of the difficulty here is that the more simple and pure you get, the more difficult your special cases can be.
Exactly this. If I write a simple function to determine if a number is odd I know exactly the kind of data I'm putting in and I probably don't need to handle a ton of esoteric edge cases at runtime. A general is-odd package should handle that because it cannot assume any inputs.

Apart from the fact that most of these packages are so shoddily written they *don't* check their inputs, micropackages are probably going to be worse for performance in the long run for all the extraneous work they have to do.

It's like having a language that inserts bounds checks on all array accesses! Surely nobody would use that either.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1. make some random utility library in your spare time
2. get busy, solicit for maintainers, give publish permissions to some guy you talked to once on gitter
3. all your dependents get owned

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

brap posted:

1. make some random utility library in your spare time
2. get busy, solicit for maintainers, give publish permissions to some guy you talked to once on gitter
3. all your dependents get owned

surely that couldn't happen

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

dick traceroute posted:

surely that couldn't happen

Possibly :thejoke:, but: https://github.com/dominictarr/event-stream/issues/116

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

What I'm getting here is that having dependencies isn't the problem, updating dependencies is.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That issue has 666 comments hail satan

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

What I'm getting here is that having dependencies isn't the problem, updating dependencies is.

I feel like not having proper versions on deps in JS is the real problem. My impression is that builds always just fetch the latest commit in a GitHub repo. I don’t do any JS dev so correct me if I’m wrong.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Janitor Prime posted:

I feel like not having proper versions on deps in JS is the real problem. My impression is that builds always just fetch the latest commit in a GitHub repo. I don’t do any JS dev so correct me if I’m wrong.

there is versioning but the way npm handles it on the package consumer side is extremely bad

basically you set your tolerance for "how big" an update can be before you have to manually change the version string in your dependency list. you can set a specific version - "3.2.6" - or put special characters before the version number to allow for autoupdates. "~3.2.6" will grab 3.2.7 if it exists but not 3.3.0. "^3.2.6" denotes that you're fine with automatically grabbing 3.3.0 but not 4.0.0. if you just write "3" that means you really want to gently caress your poo poo up so npm grabs the latest version as long as it's 3.0.0 or higher

this seems halfway acceptable until you remember that version numbers are entirely arbitrary and also that npm defaults to inserting dependencies as "^3.2.6"

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 25, 2019

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Semver was an interesting idea worth trying but I don't think it can really be declared a success.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
SemVer is a good effort, but it really needs tool support. Why doesn't Some Program decide the version number based on my changes? It also needs humans to stop attaching emotional and branding value to version numbers.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'd like point/minor/major version numbers to mean "you should be able to update to this with no changes unless something goes wrong", "you might have to spend half an hour changing some stuff to get this working", "updating to this will be a gigantic PITA"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's what it's supposed to mean.

In practice, people put major breaking changes in point releases, and bump the major version number for purely marketing reasons, even though they claim to be doing semantic versioning.

People are stupid.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
We might as well just get rid of "0.x" and "1.0" because nothing can truly be considered "finished" anymore and half the packages the web depends on are beta.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Athas posted:

It also needs humans to stop attaching emotional and branding value to version numbers.

Version numbers are emotional, branded values. Or rather, they are pseudo-numeric, cultural, linguistic expressions, they don't adhere strictly to any mathematical law. Books used to be published with "first edition, second edition" etc. At least that follows the rules of counting, but you don't violate anything but the sensibilities of some users by going from version 3.0.6.001beta to version 5 and from there to version XP Pro. It's just a classic case of confusing something qualitative with something quantitative.

And importantly, there's nothing stopping you from updating the version number with an innocuous amount after having injected malware into it. If web developers can do automatic updates and builds, it should also be possible to do automatic security analysis. The version number is just some metadata to add to the report, not something you can reason or calculate with.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Every tool I've worked with separates the numerical version (four integers separated by dots) from the human-readable version ("2.0 Turbo Pro Edition - BETA"). However as long as the human-readable version has some numbers in it that look lke versions, it would be masochistic to have those numbers be entirely unrelated to the numerical version. And vice-versa, I can't think of a software that managed to completely get rid of version numbers on the human side (even macOS is called "10.14 Mojave" or whatnot), because how does a customer then figure out which version is the newest? Shame Roman numerals are so '90s.

Our product has faced the bloodshed so the pseudo-semver convention in use is: { UI refresh }.{ Database migration }.{ Feature }.{ Patch }

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

However as long as the human-readable version has some numbers in it that look lke versions, it would be masochistic to have those numbers be entirely unrelated to the numerical version.

What I'm getting at is that the bolded bit is a fallacy. There is no such thing as a numerical version, really. The version number is a word, not a number, which is synonymous with the (only slightly more) human readable named version. Because software developers are numerically oriented people, and software versions appear as discrete, countable units, they've adopted a naming convention stylized as numbers (or pseudo-numbers, I don't know of any number system which uses multiple decimal points). Which in itself is perfectly fine of course. You could also name them alphabetically after Scooby-Doo characters or whatever. Also perfectly fine, although it would violate the pseudo-numeric convention which is by now well established.

However, what you cannot do, is give any truth value to any mathematical reasoning based on version numbers, which you might be inclined to do given its numerical appearance. There is no logical guarantee that version 1.2.3.4 is different from 1.2.3.3, or that version 2 is newer than version 1, or that the changes in 2.2.0.1 are small compared to version 2.2, and big compared to 1.0. It's probably true, given the convention, but not true like 1+1=2.

So by setting some npm update rule that says "auto update the small changes, hold on the big ones" based on comparing version numbers, you are not really relying on mathematical reasoning but you're relying on the person publishing the dependency sticking to the naming convention and fingers crossed, that he's not out to do something bad to you and your web shop customers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
well yeah everyone admits that these things are conventions that require trust. afaict nobody is anywhere close to advocating for a mathematical proof of version numbers. social solutions are simpler and often better than complex technical ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

well yeah everyone admits that these things are conventions that require trust. afaict nobody is anywhere close to advocating for a mathematical proof of version numbers. social solutions are simpler and often better than complex technical ones.

Agree on all points, it's just that the convention is so baked in to a numerically oriented culture, many people rely on those numerical assumptions. For the most part, no problem. But once you get into security stuff, problem.