Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not sure how the TNG novels are going to handle the Picard show but there was a mandate to keep the timeline pre-2386 (when Romulus gets blown up), so they may be able to avoid conflicting events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It's Star Trek Online that will get hosed by STP but no loss there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The DS9 ones have been okay so far. Not great literature but fine popcorn entertainment books. I tried the Voyager ones and couldn't get through the first book. The same author wrote like the first three so I just noped out of the whole thing. Really bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

The New Earth series is justified alone by how much the first book rags on the TMP uniforms:

For genre fiction they are genuinely good books and I have zero hesitation in recommending the series in full, which is unusual for anything that gets beyond three or four.

Unrelated, I don't seem to be able to inline mp4s in here but I enjoyed this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
btw, I don't suppose there's an audiobook of Stitch in Time, narrated by Robinson in character as Garak?

I assume no because otherwise it would be in every hotel nightstand drawer in the civilized world.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Robinson said he would love to do it but the publisher isn't interested.

E: Here's a real bad clip of him doing an in-character reading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB3ypKPJlV8

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The lack of Star Trek audiobooks sucks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Thom12255 posted:

They did a fair number of them back in the cassette days. I had some Klingon book narrated in-character by the Kahless actor.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I used to have an audio version of the novelization of DS9's Emissary on cassette. I used to fall asleep to it a lot when I was a kid

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The DS9 ones have been okay so far. Not great literature but fine popcorn entertainment books. I tried the Voyager ones and couldn't get through the first book. The same author wrote like the first three so I just noped out of the whole thing. Really bad.
Yes Kirsten Beyer does those

She is in the writer’s room for Star Trek Discovery

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

davidspackage posted:

I would love to read a Stitch in Time. Wish I could find a reasonably priced paperback, I don't really want to buy an e-reader for it.

Assuming you're talking about a Kindle since that's where the ebook seems to be available. If you have any other device (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac), just install the Kindle app and boom, you have a Kindle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes Kirsten Beyer does those

She is in the writer’s room for Star Trek Discovery

I checked and it was the Christie Golden one Homecoming that I got halfway through before deleting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thom12255 posted:

Honestly, they could do worse than getting in touch with Big Finish and doing audioplays like Doctor Who has done for the last 20 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I checked and it was the Christie Golden one Homecoming that I got halfway through before deleting.
Yeah those first few are not good

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Assuming you're talking about a Kindle since that's where the ebook seems to be available. If you have any other device (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac), just install the Kindle app and boom, you have a Kindle.

:neckbeard:

I had no idea it was that simple. Thanks!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is discouraging but also my opinions of Voyager and those of others in this thread doesn't usually tend to align anyway, so be damned and let's see how it turns out, I guess

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think I dislike Voyager as much as the general thread opinion. It was just terrible writing. She wrote the first four so I guess if you find yourself thinking the same you could try skipping those.

Like here's a short summary of the plot threads: Earth is now an entirely slave based economy for some reason and is crippled when the slaves revolt, also people are getting the flu but the flu is actually Borg.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 23, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think I dislike Voyager as much as the general thread opinion. It was just terrible writing. She wrote the first four so I guess if you find yourself thinking the same you could try skipping those.

Like here's a short summary of the plot threads: Earth is now an entirely slave based economy for some reason and is crippled when the slaves revolt, also people are getting the flu but the flu is actually Borg.

That's the start of the Voyager relaunch series?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It appears there are more Short Treks on the way.

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-more-short-treks/

Alex Kurtzman posted:

We’re doing six more of them. Two of them are animated [and] unlike the two animated shows. What I love about the Short Treks is that they are an experimental training ground, a place to experiment with different things - directors who we’ve never worked with before, tones we’ve never tried before.

I'm cool with this. It's like a little teeny version of that anthology series that Discovery could have been.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know they won’t be, but I really want the two animated ones to be the same style as TAS. You could even get Doug Jones to voice half the cast just like Doohan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

That's the start of the Voyager relaunch series?

Yeah. No idea how any of it resolves since I didn't read on but it's like Threshold level dumb.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. No idea how any of it resolves since I didn't read on but it's like Threshold level dumb.

Like, if it was slave holograms I guess I could see how it ties into the show with The Doctor but if it's just general slavery being okay in the Federation now lol.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you think about it, the real slavery is not being required to perform crushing labor for your betters in exchange for subsistence-at-best wages.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Thom12255 posted:

Like, if it was slave holograms I guess I could see how it ties into the show with The Doctor but if it's just general slavery being okay in the Federation now lol.

It's slave holograms. Also, the borg thing turns out to be the plot of this young woman who had been horribly abused by her father, a Starfleet officer, was psychologically damaged by it and started a plot to become a borg queen.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean

we already knew that the EMH Mark 1s had been repurposed as slave laborers. The show ends with the Doctor unable to legally establish that he was a person.

By the far the most moral captain in all of Starfleet decided that a humane fate for Holo-Moriarty was trapping him and his girlfriend forever in a procedurally generated YouTube video.

That villain’s backstory is unfortunate, but there’s a fair bit of stuff in Trek like that already. The hologram stuff sounds like something consistent with stuff we already know from this world.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Epicurius posted:

and started a plot to become a borg queen.

as one does

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

happyhippy posted:

There's a comic of him going back in time via sun slingshoting too.
Might as well call him Kirk

I'm trying to remember who's ship they end up on, but I think he also picks up M'Ress and Arex from The Animated Series for his crew.

Also Number One from TOS.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I mean

we already knew that the EMH Mark 1s had been repurposed as slave laborers. The show ends with the Doctor unable to legally establish that he was a person.

By the far the most moral captain in all of Starfleet decided that a humane fate for Holo-Moriarty was trapping him and his girlfriend forever in a procedurally generated YouTube video.

That villain’s backstory is unfortunate, but there’s a fair bit of stuff in Trek like that already. The hologram stuff sounds like something consistent with stuff we already know from this world.

Man, Picard trapped him in No Mans Sky.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Man, Picard trapped him in No Mans Sky.

That was a good Black Mirror episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, they could do worse than getting in touch with Big Finish and doing audioplays like Doctor Who has done for the last 20 years.

I think BF does some Star Trek but it's like licensed fiction with new characters. Which is too bad, because so many of the actors are still alive and would be willing--just look at how many did fan films.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MorgaineDax posted:

I'm trying to remember who's ship they end up on, but I think he also picks up M'Ress and Arex from The Animated Series for his crew.

Also Number One from TOS.

Also, Number One turned out to be an immortal godlike being who's physical body was destroyed by the Greek gods and inhabited the ship's computer. Her daughter was Robin Lefler, who was also on the crew (she's the character in TNG played by Ashley Judd who dated Wesley in that episode where that mind controlling game took over the Enterprise).

It's a very stupid series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of the plot threads from the relaunch get shoved to the side when Kirsten Beyer takes over starting with ‘Full Circle’

But basically it takes place after the events of the Destiny books (which got rid of the Borg) and Starfleet has tasked Janeway with taking a fleet into the Delta Quadrant to confirm the Borg are really gone. The fleet’s ships are outfitted with functional quantum slipstream drives so they can get back to the Alpha Quadrant in weeks if needed.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
what the hell was the point of the enterprise being able to separate? it just didnt ever get used and it just seemed like a dumb loving idea.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

what the hell was the point of the enterprise being able to separate? it just didnt ever get used and it just seemed like a dumb loving idea.

it was too expensive to shoot and wasted like five minutes of potentially exciting screen time on a really boring effects shot. I think we only saw it separate twice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They just kind of wanted it to be a plot element that the ship could split in half when trouble strikes — the idea dates back to TOS though it never made it to primetime on that show. To be cynical about it, the idea of shooting an effects sequence that can be reused like that whenever the situation is serious probably makes the accountants happy. But it ultimately didn’t end up getting used much because shooting with the separated saucer/hull sections was prohibitively expensive.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I think with the idea of the Battle Bridge, it was supposed to serve to justify having a bunch of children on the ship but still wanting cool space battles.

Also, and I don't think they were necessarily wrong, the main bridge doesn't look conducive to big action scenes. It's like a big living room meant for having debates about the nature of life and poo poo like that. But Patrick Stewart is really what sells the ship to ship confrontations so it was fine.

But yeah, the lower half without the saucer looks dumb whereas the saucer looks fine.

But true story, I had not remembered seeing the saucer separate before when I saw Generations as a kid. And I did think the saucer separation there felt like a big deal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They planned to use it far more frequently but it was too expensive.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They did a fair number of them back in the cassette days. I had some Klingon book narrated in-character by the Kahless actor.

I have the audiobook version of The Kobayashi Maru (the TOS story not the later ENT story) on tape. Starring James Doohan as everybody.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just like the cartoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

They planned to use it far more frequently but it was too expensive.

But that that point, it was already filmed and could have been stock footage.

I suspect the bigger reason was just that it turned out to be boring as hell once actually put into a sequence instead of tension-building.