Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Shadow225 posted:

Thanks for the answers everyone!
Last question: is the expansion best saved after the main campaign, or am I good to crack the box whenever?

As I understand it thoguh we've not received our copy yet, it's explicitly locked until you've beaten the main campaign boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Nothing says it doesn't, so it does.

It also doesn't say it instantly kills the target. "It doesn't say you can't" is not the best way to interpret rules.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

It also doesn't say it instantly kills the target. "It doesn't say you can't" is not the best way to interpret rules.

*It says it does* and nothing says it doesn't, so it does. This isn't ain't no rule says a meerkat can't play baseball, this is, you know, how all exception based rule systems work.

If the thing says it works, it doesn't suddenly stop working in an unusual situation, unless the unusual situation specifies that it stops working.

Specifically (angry face/scen 48): Dooms remain, once applied, until the target dies, or another Doom power is used (unless you have the double Doom power active). Nothing says they fall off if the target leaves play without dying, so they don't fall off if the target leaves play without dying.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

In this case it's the inverse tho... (spoilers for scenario 48)the enemy's ability to leave the map is unique and doesn't explicitly remove effects placed on him, so there's no reason to assume it does. In this case, assuming you can do what you normally can unless the rules say you can't isn't pulling a "the rules don't say a dog can't play Gloomhaven!"

Shadow225 posted:

Last question: is the expansion best saved after the main campaign, or am I good to crack the box whenever?

I think it's fine to crack the box, there's useful stuff in there including more 6-slot monster sleeves, and you would need to read the rules to know when to add it in anyway. But yes, the idea is that you wait until the main campaign is done and then start with a fresh Diviner.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Shadow225 posted:

Go ahead and open the box. You can create a Diviner in your main campaign immediately. The second page of the expansion rulebook tells you not to read further until you have finished scenario XX(Final scenario of the campaign)

Note however that there IS a misprint in the rulebook on the first page. It tells you to go ahead and add road events and city events to your campaign deck. This has been errata'd to clarify that you do not do this until the expansion campaign tells you to.

Basically, you can use the diviner as a 7th starting class, with a personal quest and all that stuff. When you finish the campaign, the expansion campaign will have you begin with a whole new diviner.

The relevant FAQ statement is the following:
Do you have to finish the original campaign before playing Forgotten Circles. Or can I add all the new content into the original campaign?
The diviner is unlocked once you open the expansion box and you can use the new class however you like, but the new campaign is intended to be played after finishing the original campaign.
Specifically you should complete the following scenario: Scenario 51

Edit: Another good reason to open the box is if you have unlocked any of the classes that have updated cards. If I recall correctly those classes are Circles, Eclipse, Angry Face, and Two Minis

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 22, 2019

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's this I hear about solo scenarios for specific classes? Is it some expansion, or are they hidden somewhere in the back of the scenario book to be unlocked later?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pierzak posted:

What's this I hear about solo scenarios for specific classes? Is it some expansion, or are they hidden somewhere in the back of the scenario book to be unlocked later?

They were in a separate booklet that you could get with the second Kickstarter.

I assume they're available in a PDF or some such elsewhere.

But basically, there's a scenario for each class that is significantly harder than the actual scenarios and if you complete it, you get an item geared for that class.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the answers. That's how we played it and we won.

Scenario 51 question and I probably shouldn't even ask this but does completing it force you to end the campaign and put everything back in the box and start over?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for the answers. That's how we played it and we won.

Scenario 51 question and I probably shouldn't even ask this but does completing it force you to end the campaign and put everything back in the box and start over?

Not at all, you can keep playing side quests and any main storyline stuff you've missed out on all you want.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How difficult would you say that this game should feel? My group has done the first few scenarios so far, and they've all been pretty tough outside the first one! We're completing them, but we're usually down to our last cards and HP, with maybe one person fatigued.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That’s really up to you, but that sounds pretty ideal. If you’re enjoying the challenge, stick with it. If you want more breathing room, reduce the difficulty.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How difficult would you say that this game should feel? My group has done the first few scenarios so far, and they've all been pretty tough outside the first one! We're completing them, but we're usually down to our last cards and HP, with maybe one person fatigued.

That's what the game is like early on. It gets a bit easier later on, in general.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Yeah that sounds right.

If you are worried, go over the "common mistakes" lists and threads, but that sounds like the ideal Gloomhaven experience.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Not at all, you can keep playing side quests and any main storyline stuff you've missed out on all you want.

Thanks. So basically we get to decide when our campaign is over?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks. So basically we get to decide when our campaign is over?

Correct. Even once you've finished all of the scenarios you have access to, you can always go back and replay them/redo ones you've missed in casual mode, farm for random side scenarios, etc. Not to mention, nothing ever stops you just... playing the game. It's not like it self destructs once you've read the whole campaign book or whatever. ANd random mode does exist, though I gather it's not quite as well balanced.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I see. If that’s the intended difficulty then that’s fine.

Am I reading the rules right that when you level up, you get only get one card from the next level of cards? What would be the harm in getting access to all of them, considering your hand size doesn’t increase? Are they really so strong that being able to use every level 2 card would break the game?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'd like to thank whoever recommended googling "common gloomhaven mistakes", I'm reading the BGG thread and loudly exclaiming "YOU loving WHAT :doh:" every once in a while. It turns out that we mistakenly set the scenario with Jekserah's two Inox flunkies on hard mode :shepicide:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 23, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I see. If that’s the intended difficulty then that’s fine.

Am I reading the rules right that when you level up, you get only get one card from the next level of cards? What would be the harm in getting access to all of them, considering your hand size doesn’t increase? Are they really so strong that being able to use every level 2 card would break the game?

The rule is that when you level up, you add a single new card of your new current level or below. If you really want both level 2 cards, you can grab one at level 3 or 4 or later.

I suppose there's no reason you couldn't take both, but why?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Picking one is mostly to increase replay value and introduce interesting choices by forcing you to pick a build and focus on it. It also has the advantage that you can come back to the same class in future and potentially build it differently.

Getting access to both cards at each level would definitely make the game easier over time, because higher level cards are generally more powerful. Obviously there's a significant difference at level 6 between having your whole hand be upgraded cards versus half of it still being level one, and that's only going to increase once you get to the very strong cards at levels above that.

edit: If you want flexibility without breaking things too badly you could just allow yourselves unlimited free respecs.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 23, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Picking one is mostly to increase replay value and introduce interesting choices by forcing you to pick a build and focus on it. It also has the advantage that you can come back to the same class in future and potentially build it differently.

Getting access to both cards at each level would definitely make the game easier over time, because higher level cards are generally more powerful. Obviously there's a significant difference at level 6 between having your whole hand be upgraded cards versus half of it still being level one, and that's only going to increase once you get to the very strong cards at levels above that.

Yeah the bigger issue is that it's going to compound super quickly. Having both level 2's is going to make you stronger mostly although there's the occasional dud. As you keep going tho, every class has a few levels where it's a tough choice between two powerful cards so once that happens and you have both of them (plus every other previous level card) you are going to quickly be very powerful. It would be a decent boost but not overpowered at lower levels, but once you get to mid and high level you are going to start wrecking. I guess you could house rule that you can only have one card from each level above 1 but that will still give you a ton of versatility.

The game already has a problem with the difficulty not scaling well with how powerful you start getting IMO, so I wouldn't be super keen on doing something that is going to make you even more powerful.

EDIT: and actually another thing that could crop up is when levels get desynced due to staggered retirements. The way the game is currenlty balanced, a class with a 10 card hand at say level 4 has three upgraded cards and seven level 1 cards. It's mostly the same class with some extra boost. When playing with a friend who has retired and is now level 1 there's not a huge gap. Change the leveling and those are two drastically different characters.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 23, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Echoing the above: Don't give yourself access to both cards; it will wildly unbalance the game after a few levels.

A middle ground is to give yourself access to both cards, while only allowing legally built decks. (So you can't bring multiple cards per level unless you aren't bringing higher level cards to compensate.) This is still not recommended - level up choices should be important - but it will have a lower balance concern and mostly just hurt classes' replay values.

For us, we allow re-speccing level choices for the first few sessions for a newly built character, or a session or two for a character who's just leveling.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

All good points -- probably a good idea to stick to the rules on this one, and maybe come up with some kind of respeccing house rule.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pierzak posted:

I'd like to thank whoever recommended googling "common gloomhaven mistakes", I'm reading the BGG thread ans loudly exclaiming "YOU loving WHAT :doh:" every once in a while. It turns out that we mistakenly set the scenario with Jekserah's two Inox flunkies on hard mode :shepicide:
The true Gloomhaven experience.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

We’re debating some kind of houserule to allow “levels 10+”, where, say, every 100XP after 9th level you can go back and acquire older cards you passed on. But that’s only because 1) we went a little crazy boosting prosperity meaning people start pretty high level and 2) we often concentrate more on exploring the characters and forget to advance personal quests, meaning someone is at level 9 and suddenly remembers they need to kill 20 dire tapirs to retire or whatever*, so they’re spinning their wheels at level 9 forever and they stop caring about XP at all.

*Silly fake goal to not spoil anything.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

every 100XP after 9th level
Why not just continue the trend of each level costing 5 XP more than the last?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cause I was pulling a random number out of the air.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yah some folks add in an automatic retirement at... Well, whatever the Level 10 xp should be. It means you'll never have to re-run old scenarios in the swamp or whatever.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, levelling out makes more sense than becoming more powerful, most level 9 characters are already fairly gamebreaking, and the game doesn't account for many levels above that...

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

dwarf74 posted:

A middle ground is to give yourself access to both cards, while only allowing legally built decks. (So you can't bring multiple cards per level unless you aren't bringing higher level cards to compensate.) This is still not recommended - level up choices should be important - but it will have a lower balance concern and mostly just hurt classes' replay values.

We do this now and I actually like it quite a lot. Having each scenario entail an opportunity to try something new is such a breath of fresh air, and I love the emphasis it encourages on finding the unexpected little synergies with the other teammates, without fear of being gimped after a retire.

Edit: important context here is that we are a group of six that pays whenever we get a critical mass (3-4) with free time, so nobody really "owns" any one character. The flexibility works well for our circumstances.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

First impressions of the Diviner: this probably should have been two classes and/or a set of extra cards for each class to add to their decks.

Because holy poo poo is it fiddly, and it has more new mechanics in one class than any three others. Most of them have one or maybe two tricks to master, this has 3 (rifts, teleports, deck manipulation) AND is a fairly complex buffer/healer to boot.

Suffice it to say it's not my cup of tea and we lost the first scenario horribly because didn't focus on the objective properly. We're probably switching around a bit next time and I'm probably going back to the Sunkeeper.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I don't think any info about the Diviner is considered a spoiler.

Ours is just using rifts to debuff and then curse dudes. No deck manipulation at all.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The Diviner is nuts. Like, really powerful. What's your level and card selection?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So we've played about 4 scenarios, and we're already at town prosperity level 2. Is that quick? We all have near the EXP need to level up to 2, but I thought getting prosperity was supposed to take a while?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So we've played about 4 scenarios, and we're already at town prosperity level 2. Is that quick? We all have near the EXP need to level up to 2, but I thought getting prosperity was supposed to take a while?

If you take the right path with the early scenarios and are lucky with events you can get the prosperity ticks you need to hit level 2 pretty quickly.

Some of the prosperity 2 items are so ubiquitous that people forget they're spoilers, and I don't think they are meant to remain locked for long.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Once you get to prosperity 2 all of you immediately level up to 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If you want.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's pretty quick, yeah. My group hit Prosperity 3 at the same time as our first retirement (which was the final tick) and we were all level 5-6.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Are we some kind of freaks? I admit we've been optimizing ramping up the prosperity pretty quick, but we're up to 6, just shy of 7. At this point we're actually debating if we should go higher since we're all starting so high leveled.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You need 4 checkmarks to get Prosperity 2. From early scenarios you can get prosperity ticks from 2, 3, and 9 (and two ticks from 11), so if you follow the Jekserah path at the start all you need is single tick from an event and you'll hit Prosperity 2 after your 4th scenario (9).

It slows down a lot after that, partly because you need a lot more prosperity ticks and partly because the rewards slow down a bit.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are we some kind of freaks? I admit we've been optimizing ramping up the prosperity pretty quick, but we're up to 6, just shy of 7. At this point we're actually debating if we should go higher since we're all starting so high leveled.

From memory most groups finish the campaign around prosperity 6 or 7, but it depends a bit on player count and on how much you donate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

and on how much you donate.

Some of my group do that so much when we had sun and music note we had to ask them to stop because they were taking all the blessing cards so we couldn't use them in play.