Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is the general purpose Boruto (and Naruto) thread right now. Just use spoiler tags if you talk about the manga, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hamelekim posted:

Manga is getting really interesting.

I'm not sure if we can discuss that openly because the anime is probably going to go that way eventually.

Not a plot spoiler but this made me laugh. Poor Naruto.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hypocrisy posted:

Not a plot spoiler but this made me laugh. Poor Naruto.

Wasn't that because he still had the five-finger seal loving his chakra generation up?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hm. If a shadow clone poops and Naruto calls him back in, does the original still need to poop?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hm. If a shadow clone poops and Naruto calls him back in, does the original still need to poop?

Theoretically, if a shadow clone is "born" in whatever state Naruto is currently in (like how shadow clones made while in Kurama Chakra Mode are also in Kurama Chakra Mode), then one made while he has to poop, will also have to poop, but can't take the on the original poop. You can read all about this in my thesis on...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he'd remember pooping so it would probably make it so he doesn't need to right away

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If the clone poofs after pooping, does the poop poof as well?

Manga
I didn't need a recap about Naruto.
But the second ten tails looks interesting.
So is it safe to assume kama is a way for Otsusiki to reincarnate or something?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

If the clone poofs after pooping, does the poop poof as well?

Manga
I didn't need a recap about Naruto.
But the second ten tails looks interesting.
So is it safe to assume kama is a way for Otsusiki to reincarnate or something?

Yeah, looks like they're trying to revive Kaguya's partner since, and I'm assuming, all Otsutuki work in pairs.

This probably also means we wont be getting Urashiki in the manga.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This was a good episode!

Seeing a Jashin worshiper again was cool. It was pretty obvious when Mirai used genjutsu, but it was well done nonetheless.

Kakashi and Guy need to get married, seriously.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the trick of the hot spring water to make him think it was blood was very smart

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, not sure why it took so long but they finally finished dubbing the rest of Shippuden fairly recently.

Speaking of dubs, who voices Sarada in the English version of Boruto? She sounds really familiar to me.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 20, 2019

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, not sure why it took so long but they finally finished dubbing the rest of Shippuden fairly recently.

Speaking of dubs, who voices Sarada in the English version of Boruto? She sounds really familiar to me.

It's Cherami Leigh, and it's easy enough to look up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah that was it. On another note, there haven’t been any announcements regarding any upcoming Boruto games or movies have there? It feels like the series has been around long enough now for them to start doing stuff like that.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

They started releasing the Boruto dub before finishing Shippuden, along with The Last, so that must've been confusing for dub anime only people who probably exist somewhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

They started releasing the Boruto dub before finishing Shippuden, along with The Last, so that must've been confusing for dub anime only people who probably exist somewhere.

Was the Shippuden dub even still being aired on TV during the last chunk of its run or was it just online only by then?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That entire arc was about two gay grandpas taking their granddaughter out to get a girlfriend.

I liked it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I still think the ping-pong scene needed more seven-gates Guy. It's Guy vs. Kakashi, you think Guy wouldn't carry it too far? Bonus points if Kakashi is just casually playing, not even looking but reading an Icha Icha book with his other hand instead, and winning.

(It was a good arc and I like Mirai as a character.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

(It was a good arc and I like Mirai as a character.)

Likewise, I hope we see more of her eventually. Out of curiosity, are there any other Boruto era novels currently available that they could possibly adapt for future arcs?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sasuke Shinden and Shikamaru Shinden, although the latter would have some plot issues to sort out before it could be adapted.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Was the Shippuden dub even still being aired on TV during the last chunk of its run or was it just online only by then?

I remember it being aired by Disney XD for a little while, don't know if it still is though.

There's not a lot of anime on TV anymore huh...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I remember it being aired by Disney XD for a little while, don't know if it still is though.

There's not a lot of anime on TV anymore huh...

I think Boruto may currently be airing on Adult Swim but I’m not 100% sure on that.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Come on, Naruto, put the vest on Sarada too, she earned it. You're the Hokage, you write the rules, you can pick however many you want. gently caress, make her chunin for her performance at the exam and Shikadai for his stellar performance in the Iwagakure incident, problem solved.

Denying Sarada status as a chunin because she went AWOL to save Mitsuki, well, didn't Kakashi teach you that those who abandon their friends are worse than scum? For gently caress's sake.

100% correct on denying Boruto chunin, though. Cheater cheater pumpkin eater, try again next exam kid. This time with coat checks for contraband.

...loving hell I'm getting worked up over a kid's cartoon.

e. It does bring up a point, though, I have no idea how the rank system works. It seems to me that genin are like apprentice ninja, as soon as they demonstrate the have the skills they should graduate to chunin, which should compose the bulk of your shinobi forces. And it should not be limited to one genin in your, what, yearly? Chunin Exam, or you wind up with a force composed almost entirely of genin - that takes away the whole point of Naruto stressing out that he was a genin way too long, if there was a reasonable expectation that a shinobi might never rise to the rank of chunin. Jonin is either an appointment reserved for special duties or given to ninja ready to teach their own team of genin.

But that's apparently not how it works. I smell poor worldbuilding with regards to ninja ranks.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 26, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Denying Sarada status as a chunin because she went AWOL to save Mitsuki, well, didn't Kakashi teach you that those who abandon their friends are worse than scum? For gently caress's sake.

Also I'm almost positive that Naruto did the exact same thing at least once during his younger days (counting movies and filler at least). So yeah, a little hypocritical there (and as they pointed out in the episode, the Tsuchikage herself absolved the group of any wrongdoing after said incident was resolved). Plus, if caring about your comrades was one of the qualifications then Sarada absolutely should have been promoted. But I suppose they still have to adhere to the manga so this was probably unavoidable.

And yeah, not sure what the rule about only choosing one chunnin per village seems stupid to me (especially seeing as in the time between the end of Naruto and the start of Shippuden a majority of the village’s ninja population got promoted en masse).

On another note, how much formerly anime-exclusive content eventually wound up being adapted into the main canon? Off the top of my head we’ve got: Raiga, that Sand Village girl who had a crush on Gaara, the Uchiha Cats, and I believe one of the novels referenced Blood Prison. Also the design and names of Sakura’s parents came straight from Kishimoto himself, he just never wound up using them in the manga.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 23, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Field promotions and probationary promotions still exist I’m pretty sure, it might be specifically only one per village for the Chuunin exams because they’re also a peace measure and a show as much as they’re about testing Genin skills.

Chuunin are expected to be capable of leading their own squads, and Genin are only grouped with a Jonin for a limited tikis I believe.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

On another note, how much formerly anime-exclusive content eventually wound up being adapted into the main canon? Off the top of my head we’ve got: Raiga, that Sand Village girl who had a crush on Gaara, the Uchiha Cats, and I believe one of the novels referenced Blood Prison. Also the design and names of Sakura’s parents came straight from Kishimoto himself, he just never wound up using them in the manga.

I'm pretty sure the Uchiha cats were in the manga first, just before Sasuke fought Itachi. They popped up in the anime a second time for a much later filler episode that went back pre-Shippuden to give Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke (and Itachi) fuzzy cat ears for some reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pyrotoad posted:

I'm pretty sure the Uchiha cats were in the manga first, just before Sasuke fought Itachi. They popped up in the anime a second time for a much later filler episode that went back pre-Shippuden to give Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke (and Itachi) fuzzy cat ears for some reason.

You know the reason

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Ah right, forgot about that. Similarly, I think the Sand girl was also just based on a random villager that appeared for like a panel or two near the end of the Rescue Gaara arc.

Was there an explanation given as to why Raiga eventually made it into canon though (like was he just an at the time unused character design Kishimoto made as was the case with Sakura’s parents or something)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 23, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Looks like they are gonna start adapting a manga arc soon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh, I thought it was gonna be Shizune's pig in this episode :(

Dexo posted:

Looks like they are gonna start adapting a manga arc soon.

Maybe? The only thing I picked up from the manga before I stopped reading it was the bit with the son of the Daimyo, who gave Boruto that rare ninja card after being rescued by him. But next episode could still be a very early way to set up that angle, it's not like there's an immediate need to resolve Boruto's quest for that card. They can even reference him still hunting down that card a few times in future episodes before adapting the manga.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Konoha discovers Magic the Gathering. Fans immediately start fighting over the best cards. Black Lotus still OP.

(Worth it to see Rock Lee kick a loving statue through a goddamned water tank from half a mile away. Rock Lee still OP.)

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 8, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I still love that others are calling Boruto out for being spoiled.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the fact that they added both Shino and rock lee and that that(probably) ruined the probability ratios of the packs is very funny

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What did Naruto do before becoming Hokage? Just be husband and father, and occasionally get sent out to the most dangerous S-rank missions that he would solo?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Torrannor posted:

What did Naruto do before becoming Hokage? Just be husband and father, and occasionally get sent out to the most dangerous S-rank missions that he would solo?

Politics?

The Alliance left a solid ground for genuine peace, and four of the five Kage were about to retire, so I imagine Naruto spent a lot of time with his soon-to-be peers ironing flat the bumps that held up the peace process - settling disputes, taking care of bandits, convincing the damayo to stop squabbling over territory like children, but mostly establishing the good working relationships they had with each other.

Naruto and Shikamaru could also have been sent on peacemaking missions to some of the smaller nations. That gets their working relationships established, lets Shikamaru practice his devious political brain, and it would say a lot when Konoha sends the most powerful ninja in the world to "make peace" - except the guy is popular, friendly as a puppy, genuinely believes in peace, and his Talk-no-Jutsu is loving relentless. Plus there were some messes left over that needed cleaned up, like the Land of Rain.

The Last has led me to believe he was at least an occasional instructor at the Academy.

Smashing flat the occasional zetsu infestation is an obvious one.

But it's called the Blank Period for a reason. We don't know.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

Politics?

The Alliance left a solid ground for genuine peace, and four of the five Kage were about to retire, so I imagine Naruto spent a lot of time with his soon-to-be peers ironing flat the bumps that held up the peace process - settling disputes, taking care of bandits, convincing the damayo to stop squabbling over territory like children, but mostly establishing the good working relationships they had with each other.

Naruto and Shikamaru could also have been sent on peacemaking missions to some of the smaller nations. That gets their working relationships established, lets Shikamaru practice his devious political brain, and it would say a lot when Konoha sends the most powerful ninja in the world to "make peace" - except the guy is popular, friendly as a puppy, genuinely believes in peace, and his Talk-no-Jutsu is loving relentless. Plus there were some messes left over that needed cleaned up, like the Land of Rain.

The Last has led me to believe he was at least an occasional instructor at the Academy.

Smashing flat the occasional zetsu infestation is an obvious one.

But it's called the Blank Period for a reason. We don't know.

With how you describe it, I totally would watch a few filler episodes dedicated to how that played out

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am....90% certain I remember seeing/reading a bit where Naruto was asked to do some instruction, but cannot remember if it was manga, anime, or what. Definitely not light novel, I don't know where to find those.

But some of what rndmnmbr is talking about is covered in a rather scattershot manner with the last 20 episodes or so of the anime.

edit: Maybe it was a setup bit of the last shippuden movie? I can't remember.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 15, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Some of the Shippuden filler definitely sets up that Naruto can't teach jutsu worth a drat. But by the end he's one of the world's best in taijutsu, and there was a bit in The Last where he was demonstrating some advanced techniques to an Academy class before he got interrupted by fangirls. Lee, Hinata, and Sasuke are better still, but Maximum Intensity guy, a woman who's taijutsu is heavily dependent on her Byakugan, and the guy you can't keep in Konoha for more than two days without nailing his feet to the floor aren't good instructor material.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He taught Konohamaru the Rasengan, he can't be that bad an instructor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

He taught Konohamaru both the Rasengan and Kage Bunshin, badly. Kono basically had to figure out both by himself.

But even so, if you don't have sage mode or your own personal tailed beast, the Rasengan, Kage Bunshin, and Sexy jutsu is about all he has to teach. Naruto does a lot with a surprisingly limited toolset.