Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

got any sevens posted:

i dont know how to save a pic from ig, so i take screenshots
why dont all phone apps have a picture saving option from the click-hold menu :argh:

Intellectual property protection, in the case of insta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

got any sevens posted:

why dont all phone apps have a picture saving option from the click-hold menu :argh:

Question is, why didn't you already have the original picture

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

is this a loss edit

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

bike tory posted:

Fully decapitalised individuals.

Its not revolution we're just turning capitalist individuals into decapitalized ones through the use of decapitation.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

got any sevens posted:

because protecting copyrights is very important!!!!! why, think of the thousands of dollars you just cost that poor instagrammer with your act of piracy

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

got any sevens posted:

it amazes me how much trouble developers go through to prevent people from saving data that has literally already been downloaded

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like the apps like that that go so far as blocking the screenshot function of your device as well. Another reason to root your phone.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAB4RAITPY

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Can't wait to add more brands to my brandlist, did you see the new brands from brand? Brands.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is greating a typo or a neologism

necroid
May 14, 2009

Isaac posted:

Is greating a typo or a neologism

I'm wondering too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Well it's not on Urban Dictionary so I guess it's just a typo.

Also while googling for Urban Dictionary (yes I google for things I already know the URL of like a grandpa shut up) the top goog autocomplete suggestions (besides "how to unblock") were "thot", "yeet", "stan", "clout", "drip", "bet", "unicorn" and "jit" and now I feel very very old :smith:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Well it's not on Urban Dictionary so I guess it's just a typo.

Also while googling for Urban Dictionary (yes I google for things I already know the URL of like a grandpa shut up) the top goog autocomplete suggestions (besides "how to unblock") were "thot", "yeet", "stan", "clout", "drip", "bet", "unicorn" and "jit" and now I feel very very old :smith:

You need to watch twitch, read lots of twitter or instagram to keep up with the current lingo.

yeet and stan are very useful words imo.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, "urban dictionary" is a bad source to use for anything because tons of people just make up dumb definitions and put them on the site.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nothing like an internet neologism which is longer than the standard preexisting word for the same thing, especially when it inexplicably draws on pop culture already nearly 20 years old.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A stan is a suicidially obsessed fan, not a "normal" fan.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lambert posted:

Also, "urban dictionary" is a bad source to use for anything because tons of people just make up dumb definitions and put them on the site.

Oh I know, but it's good to get the general gist of very popular poo poo most of the time :shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

A stan is a suicidially obsessed fan, not a "normal" fan.

it has lost that meaning entirely already though, with people happily calling themselves stans. which was always going to happen.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It is kinda random that it apparently comes from that old Eminem song but yeah like over the weekend I said "I can't believe this attorney is up in front of the 9th circuit stanning for concentration camps how do they not go home and kill themselves?"

Useful word imo

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it has lost that meaning entirely already though, with people happily calling themselves stans. which was always going to happen.

Haven't seen that before but I'm inclined to say they are out of touch olds?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fan was short for 'fanatic' and was also originally used to describe folks with an unhealthy obsession, like baseball weirdos who would memorized stats and riot so yeah there's nothing new under the sun

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Nope, nihilistic millennials in my experience. I want to say there is a silently acknowledged irony here, but I know better than to presume such things.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

if you believe life has any meaning or that there's hope in the universe you'r officially a boomer now, I don't make the rules I just ironically point to them while masturbating

e: added typo, gently caress you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Hes right though its already making it way to "just" meaning "i'm a big fan of..." instead of "the hillary stans at hillaryis44 are still going in 2019"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just got an email from the local democrats because they never ever stop emailing me about everything, but this one's at least fun:

quote:

Burgers, wings, and fries, Oh My! Our June meeting date falls on the second night of the two-night Democratic Presidential Debates, so please join us for a night of lively discussion, enthusiastic cheering, adult beverages, tasty snacks, a few hearty belly laughs and the comradery of fellow progressives intent on changing the world for the better!

Please come out to Glory Days Grill in Brandon (map) and support your candidate during the debates. Funny candidate swag is not only permitted, it’s encouraged!

Come support your favorite mediocre nu-Hillary by buying some cheap plastic poo poo to show off to the rest of the resist crowd!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheMostFrench posted:

Can't wait to add more brands to my brandlist, did you see the new brands from brand? Brands.

is micro community the new term for hooverville

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

nothing like an internet neologism which is longer than the standard preexisting word for the same thing, especially when it inexplicably draws on pop culture already nearly 20 years old.

these kinds of language shifts aren’t necessarily about increased efficiency or more precise expression. They are also a way of showing identity and proving you participate in the communities from which the word came.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am just old and angry because i don't get yeet. in that i initially thought the joke was to use it so flexibly that no one would get it, but now it seems to just mean to vigorously throw.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s kind of like a Hail Mary throw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Squalid posted:

these kinds of language shifts aren’t necessarily about increased efficiency or more precise expression. They are also a way of showing identity and proving you participate in the communities from which the word came.

it's white people trying to use black slang, op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how bout

and it's just for the fellas

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Dad's Smooth Back

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

got any sevens posted:

nah micro community is the new term for super specific niche groups so rather than marketing your product to a broad category e.g. "electronic music fan" you can market it to the worlds single "vegan trip-hop chiptune fan" and they're likely a 100% conversion on your advertisement since it's hyper specific

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I’ve been getting lots of job posting emails and the tag line for Lyft driver was “keep 100% of your tips!”

Wow thanks!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lyft lets you tip in the first place unlike Uber, I don’t know why they don’t call that out directly instead of in a roundabout manner like that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

got any sevens posted:

it means that if you want to advertise to vegan DJs pay us money

hobbesmaster posted:

Lyft lets you tip in the first place unlike Uber, I don’t know why they don’t call that out directly instead of in a roundabout manner like that.

im pretty sure uber has a thing for the rider to tip the driver over the app but i dont know what cut of the tip uber takes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
didn't uber originally advertise themselves as not needing to tip

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shear Modulus posted:

it means that if you want to advertise to vegan DJs pay us money

im pretty sure uber has a thing for the rider to tip the driver over the app but i dont know what cut of the tip uber takes

It does. I've only taken Uber once but I left a tip

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

didn't uber originally advertise themselves as not needing to tip

They absolutely did.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

hobbesmaster posted:

several of the other gig driving jobs subsidize the wage with tips, so drivers only actually get tips if the tips exceed the minimum hourly wage

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/06/instacart-revises-pay-policy-after-tipping-uproar/
https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/08/amazon-flex-tips-base-pay/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bombadilillo posted:

My wedding was $700.

Pro tip:

When "wedding" is in front of "cake" price multiplies by x25.

When "sheet" is in front of "cake" from a good bakery divide by half.

My wife and I paid 45 bucks for the marriage license. And she took my last name.

I've always been kind of weirded out by people who spend thousands of dollars on their weddings.

My family also doesn't buy stuff for the "holidays" like women's day/men's day/etc. Just call folks and tell them you appreciate them/love them.