Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

I'd pay upwards of ten English pounds for a super basic remastering of MM to make it look acceptable on a modern TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNzKbWU_xV4

😍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The vibrant colours make it great, actually! Like a lot of horror games use red or green a lot but MM goes straight for the purple and dunks everything in this lurid, feverish colour party while Link disassociates in an alternate dimension. I love both versions of Majora's Mask but I love the one I can fit in my pocket more. Also it has camera control.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Steve2911 posted:

I'd pay upwards of ten English pounds for a super basic remastering of MM to make it look acceptable on a modern TV.

this guy is doing a close to original as possible remaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLVLXJhC5cs

not sure i like the new button font and hearts tho.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Gamecube collection version is buggy. There's a few hard crashes and some discoloration.

This is the only version I've played. It's not too terrible if you make sure to save at absolutely every opportunity, but losing progress to a crash definitely sucks. It seemed like it played fine aside from those crashes and some weird audio issues.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
IMO, the visual changes did the Happy Mask Salesman dirty
N64 version looks vaguely menacing in his neutral pose, 3DS version looks flat in his "literally strangling link" pose

I would've used two gifs of the same scene, but google is being unhelpful at providing two gifs of the same scene in similar quality
sure, there are some areas where the more saturated visuals look better, but the different lighting makes areas that should be ominous... not.

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is the only version I've played. It's not too terrible if you make sure to save at absolutely every opportunity, but losing progress to a crash definitely sucks. It seemed like it played fine aside from those crashes and some weird audio issues.
you do remember that in Majora's Mask, saving was either "quicksave at an owl statue and stop playing" or "save by going back to day one," right? if it crashed, it crashed, and you're poo poo outta luck. That's why the crashes were such a problem on the GCN version

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

this guy is doing a close to original as possible remaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLVLXJhC5cs

not sure i like the new button font and hearts tho.

It seems the later video that I posted that he's updated the font to be the one from Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask boss battles (at least the N64 originals). Very rare font, I've never been able to get ahold of it, but the .otf exists out there somewhere...

edit: wow i just found it, epic

http://www.shedevr.org.ru/zelda64rus/media-fonts.html

Spellman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 24, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

-hosed over zora swimming, making the water dungeon go from fun to tedious
Ok, ok, the rest of this is obviously subjective and in being pretty hyperbolic, but what the gently caress is this opinion??? How did they make the dungeon worse by giving you the option of not hitting your head on a wall every time you want to start swimming

It's not like you even need the super turbo speeds inside the temple

Also the great bay temple was always tedious

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've played around with that Majora's Mask HD Texture pack and it is extremely good quality. Makes the game look stellar. It's still unfinished but it's only really Ikana Canyon/Stone Tower that's missing texture work at this point from what I could tell. It's a trip to walk into that region and see crispy ground textures right next to the super muddy brown walls.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

IMO, the visual changes did the Happy Mask Salesman dirty
N64 version looks vaguely menacing in his neutral pose, 3DS version looks flat in his "literally strangling link" pose

I would've used two gifs of the same scene, but google is being unhelpful at providing two gifs of the same scene in similar quality
sure, there are some areas where the more saturated visuals look better, but the different lighting makes areas that should be ominous... not.

you do remember that in Majora's Mask, saving was either "quicksave at an owl statue and stop playing" or "save by going back to day one," right? if it crashed, it crashed, and you're poo poo outta luck. That's why the crashes were such a problem on the GCN version

Yeah, but I believe if you quicksave and crash you go back to your quicksave. Maybe I am misremembering, I only played it through once around a decade ago.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah, but I believe if you quicksave and crash you go back to your quicksave. Maybe I am misremembering, I only played it through once around a decade ago.

saving at the owl statues in the n64/gamecube version forces you to quit and starting the game again deletes the quick save

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

romanowski posted:

saving at the owl statues in the n64/gamecube version forces you to quit and starting the game again deletes the quick save

If it worked that way on the Collector's Edition, I had a lot more patience a decade ago than I do now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Amppelix posted:

Ok, ok, the rest of this is obviously subjective and in being pretty hyperbolic, but what the gently caress is this opinion??? How did they make the dungeon worse by giving you the option of not hitting your head on a wall every time you want to start swimming

If you wanted to complain about something regarding that temple complain about the Ice Arrows completely losing their freedom.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Alxprit posted:

If you wanted to complain about something regarding that temple complain about the Ice Arrows completely losing their freedom.
I forgot about that, that made me so mad!!!

Amppelix posted:

lack of turbo speed means you cannot dolphin jump, which is just terrible, and it means the long hallways connecting rooms are much more noticeable

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But... You can. You just press the r button.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Amppelix posted:

But... You can. You just press the r button.
not when you're out of magic because moving quickly eats through it crazy & the stupid bonefish won't drop mana pots

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only thing they needed to do was to still let you fast swim with R but with no barrier if you had no magic. Oh and to let you freeze any water because that’s just fun to do as proven by the best Zelda BotW

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Did y'all know that Minish were cut from BOTW? Were you hiding it from me? My little buddies....

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bogart posted:

Did y'all know that Minish were cut from BOTW? Were you hiding it from me? My little buddies....
I did not know that, no

also, I thought you meant the miniblins, aka, the cutest zelda enemies

maybe the minish ARE in the game, but they're just very small and you can't see them
they live in hestu's branches or something

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...h-and-more.aspx

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So after the BoTW 2 announcement, I went back to kind of make a BoTW bucket list, one of those is Fully Upgrade the Armor of the Wild Set and where the bloody gently caress do you find that many Energetic Beetles help

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So after the BoTW 2 announcement, I went back to kind of make a BoTW bucket list, one of those is Fully Upgrade the Armor of the Wild Set and where the bloody gently caress do you find that many Energetic Beetles help

The jungle, I think. Set it as your scanner target.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also Akala in the mornings. I just warp to the shrine where you can glide down to the great fairy or Tarrey Town, stick on the shiekah suit, turn the beetles on my sheikah sensor, and walk up to them on the trees.

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Deep Akkala, if you warp to the shrine in the skulls eye you’ll find plenty in the woods around there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blaziken386 posted:

not when you're out of magic because moving quickly eats through it crazy & the stupid bonefish won't drop mana pots

Just lol if you didn't chug some Chateau Romani day 1, especially before heading into any dungeons. Hell, there's an easy 200 Rupees to get every day in Clock Town so you don't even lose any money! No reason at all not to just be drunk on alcoholic milk.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
*peaks from under rock*

I...uuuh...I never played Ocarina of Time.

In my defense I didn't have a N64, and despite having a 3DS bad experiences with Chrono Trigger and Valkyrie Profile made me shun ports like the plague

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

*peaks from under rock*

In my defense I didn't have a N64, and despite having a 3DS bad experiences with Chrono Trigger and Valkyrie Profile made me shun ports like the plague
its okay, IMO it's not that good

I respect it for being the first 3D zelda, and setting up a lot of the formula used for the later games, so I can forgive a lot, but frankly, it's not as great as every "Top Ten Retro Games!!!" list makes it out to be

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

lezard_valeth posted:

*peaks from under rock*

You should. The port is the definitive version in pretty much all aspects, and there is a reason it’s the highest rated game of all time. The worst part of the original is the awful dated graphics but that is fixed on the port. If you played Twilight Princess you will get similar vibes from OoT.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ocarina of Time is perhaps the most important Zelda game. It is not necessarily THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME because qualitative judgments necessarily differ between people.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'll keep it in mind for next month. I already had my monthly videogame expenses with CTR this month and from what I recall July only has Fire Emblem coming out and I never followed that series.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Decided to start a fresh file in BotW and when I went towards the bomb shrine I decided to tell the guardians to gently caress off and parry their stupid lasers. It took me a few tries to remember the timing and get it right but drat it's still satisfying as hell. Especially satisfying when you're fresh out of a 100 year bath and only have a pot lid.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Decided to start a fresh file in BotW and when I went towards the bomb shrine I decided to tell the guardians to gently caress off and parry their stupid lasers. It took me a few tries to remember the timing and get it right but drat it's still satisfying as hell. Especially satisfying when you're fresh out of a 100 year bath and only have a pot lid.

yeah it's tempting as heck. On my Master Mode run I had planned to be stealthy and not charge into every enemy camp to avoid scaling enemies up into Gold tier before even finishing my first divine beast, yet 15 minutes into my run and I came across the Guardians outside Bomb Trial I couldn't resist to shield parry which lead to

a) an initial very brief "oh poo poo" moment when I was getting ready to parry the imminent laser and remembered Decayed Guardians count towards enemy scaling (fortunately only 2.5 points)
b) a second "oh poo poo" moment when I died and remembered that Master Mode guardians gently caress around with your timing

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh is that how the game scaling works?

Sweats nervously as he recounts the two decayed guardians and one fresh guardian he's already nuked.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm not on master mode at least.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Minish Cup is the first Zelda game I played, so I hope they can find a place for the Minish somewhere in BOTW 2.

lezard_valeth posted:

*peaks from under rock*

I had a N64 and never had OOT nor MM. I only played OOT on 3DS this year. I'll get around to MM3D sometime.

As someone without any nostalgia for the original I think the 3DS version is a great game. I could certainly see where later games built upon it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh is that how the game scaling works?

Sweats nervously as he recounts the two decayed guardians and one fresh guardian he's already nuked.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm not on master mode at least.

You need a lot of points for enemies to jump up tiers. Unless you're bumrushing Divine Beasts ASAP they'll ramp up pretty slowly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ocarina of Time is one of very few games of the early 3D period whose design has aged gracefully, though I think that some parts of it have, at last, come to feel primitive and simplistic. It's a sparse game with shallow systems, and despite how huge it felt when it was new, by modern standards it's small and tight. Every single thing about it has been done better by one of its successors or other, including being a well-balanced and iconic mix of various strengths. But its core concept - architecturally and aesthetically memorable vertical spaces that you navigate using a flexible but limited set of movements - is timeless, and there are only a few areas that turned out to be annoying after the novelty of the third dimension wore off. It's still well worth playing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There is very much a nostalgia multiplier going on, but I played it again about 10-12 years after release, and I personally felt it still held up. Never played any of the ports any quality of life improvements can only be a plus.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ocarina is regarded so well for a lot of reasons, one being that upon release it was shocking how good Nintendo managed the transition from 2D to 3D and in creating fundamentally new game design, game mechanics, style, and almost everything else from music to character animation.

Ocarina of Time holds up as a great game from that era, the caveat being modern games would be expected to have better QoL features, smoother graphics, better camera use, etc.

It's worth a play-through, because the game is straightforward, not too difficult, and easy enough to beat by anyone who grew up on video games. You also end up seeing echos of OoT in almost every subsequent Zelda game since then, so the experience adds to the legacy of Zelda games in a new way.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I've wanted Nintendo to do a stylized remake of Ocarina and Majora for so long now, and what they've done with Link's Awakening is pushing that desire into overdrive.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

Nope, your quicksave is deleted once you load it. The only way I found to make progress on the game was to quicksave, then quit to the GameCube home screen and copy the Majora's Mask save to another memory card in case the game crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

That bit about Link losing his arm is VERY interesting after the BOTW 2 trailer.