Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
There should be OT required for anything after 55 hours a week for salaried employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

There should be OT required for anything after 55 hours a week for salaried employees.

try 40 buddy

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

There should be OT required for anything after 40 hours a week for salaried employees, just like hourly employees.

ftfy

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
whenever a gamer responds with "oh boo hoo they're asked to do their job!!" in response to criticism of crunch culture it makes me hate being alive

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My buddy Iggy is hosting right now. He's pretty nervous. I'm very proud of him.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I mean, if I had it my way it would be mandatory OT for anything above 35, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Little Mac posted:

My buddy Iggy is hosting right now. He's pretty nervous. I'm very proud of him.

He's got The Radio Voice so he's perfect for the job.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Paying people more money doesn't actually solve anything. Many of these companies employ a practice of "persuasive overtime" where you aren't required to work overtime but are heavily pressured into doing so. They get paid for it but the amount of work you have to do to keep your job is soul-crushing. People are being expected to work inhumane hours and that's simply not physically or mentally healthy. It reaches a point where people break down and can't work anymore. But that doesn't matter because they can just be tossed out and replaced with another crunch employee.

That's basically what Epic does with the Fortnite team. Its a revolving door of despair.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's funny constantly hearing the terrible working conditions from american game companies and then being a fan of paradox development studio games where twice a year they're all 'yeah basically all of sweden is on holiday for the next 3 weeks! no streams or PR or game updates until we're back from vacation'

and by 'funny' i mean...idk, a different word than funny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To build a culture of better working conditions there has to be laws to support them.

Like, jimminy, just having a minimum number or vacation days in the US would be a massive step forward

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Drink water.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Good luck getting that through the lobbyists.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
ahahaha that was really cute.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh that's why it's called the minish cap

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

He's going to make a pun, guys, don't clap.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Noooooooope.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/5nqu0w/what_its_like_working_at_from_software/

quote:

Programmer. Approx $27k USD annual salary

Compared to the workload, the pay is very little. You have to be someone who really loves working for the sake of working in the industry.

Game planner. Approx $25k USD annual salary

If you ever have a birth, child support, or elderly care support could you work the same? No, there are no benefits allocated at this company and everyone who experienced any of the above have quit, except for a few people that are irreplaceable.

CG Designer. Approx $37k USD salary

Above all, working hours are extremely long. There is no sign of improvement and we have frequent new recruits getting ill from overwork and quitting. Staff turnover is very high.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how about minish cap

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ocarina glitch is just the map glitch from link's awakening

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ratbert90 posted:

Is rockstar an ethical gaming company?

......……...

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

How has minish cap been turning out? I assumed Arcade Pit would be vastly more entertaining.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

How has minish cap been turning out? I assumed Arcade Pit would be vastly more entertaining.

it's one of those chill runs, not super hype or anything but still a fun watch

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm enjoying Minish Cap so far. It's a good refresher for what the game was as a whole and the commentary has been mostly enjoyable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

The route has gotten wild since the last time I watched it, they can now go out of bounds and completely break dungeons.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
one of my favorite things about minish cap are the dungeons where you're tiny and the boss is just a regular-rear end enemy you'd murder without thinking about it if you were regular size

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

The route has gotten wild since the last time I watched it, they can now go out of bounds and completely break dungeons.

Oh nice, that does sound a lot more enjoyable then my previous watch as well. I'll have to scope the VOD later.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone familiar with the merits of the next few runs, Devil May Cry, Streets of Rage, and Final Doom? Never played them, and wondering if they're the sort of things you can appreciate without knowing the game well enough to marvel at the spectacle.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nintendo never really learned that just because the gba can play voice clips doesn't mean it should play voice clips

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Kestral posted:

Anyone familiar with the merits of the next few runs, Devil May Cry, Streets of Rage, and Final Doom? Never played them, and wondering if they're the sort of things you can appreciate without knowing the game well enough to marvel at the spectacle.

Devil May Cry is an action RPG with a swordy boy fighting shadow puppets. Unless the run has changed since the last time I've seen it ~7 years ago it's a lot of repetitive attack strings and sword dashing unfortunately.
Streets of Rage is a Genesis beat em up that's one of the best on the console. Probably worthwhile seeing.
Final Doom is old school FPS which is not as interesting if you've never played the series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kestral posted:

Personally, final doom uv speed (which is just getting to the exit as fast as possible), isn't that interesting

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hi I'm at SGDQ and ate greek food and played board games today. I have not watched a speedrun today :cool:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I've only been checking in on this run occasionally and it makes me think it's time to finally open that still-sealed copy of Minish Cap in my closet

(Not worth saving for collector's value, the box got squished at some point)

Brother Entropy posted:

nintendo never really learned that just because the gba can play voice clips doesn't mean it should play voice clips

Speaking of, it was weird watching Super Mario "USA" earlier and hearing all those FDS sound samples

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Studio posted:

Hi I'm at SGDQ and ate greek food and played board games today. I have not watched a speedrun today :cool:

Me every day after Wednesday :cool:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why would minish cap be a collector's item

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

site posted:

Why would minish cap be a collector's item

It's the real cap. like, it's actually the bird thing

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Sage Grimm posted:

Devil May Cry is an action RPG with a swordy boy fighting shadow puppets. Unless the run has changed since the last time I've seen it ~7 years ago it's a lot of repetitive attack strings and sword dashing unfortunately.
Streets of Rage is a Genesis beat em up that's one of the best on the console. Probably worthwhile seeing.
Final Doom is old school FPS which is not as interesting if you've never played the series.

Streets of Rage it is! Thanks speedfriend Sage Grimm. Looking forward to The Hobbit, too, because a janky Gamecube Hobbit game seems likely to be busted.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I still can't believe minish cap was a game that existed and that I played to completion, i remember literally nothing from watchign that run

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
extremely 'chill beats for gaming/study' in here

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I still can't believe minish cap was a game that existed and that I played to completion, i remember literally nothing from watchign that run

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one. All I remember is actually spending time grinding out the coin drops because I was a filthy completionist back then.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i probably remembered more than you and my only exposure to minish cap was the boss keys video that talked about the dungeon design in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Studio posted:

It's the real cap. like, it's actually the bird thing