Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah I did some reading after I thought for a bit about why you only eat the claws. But it does make me feel a lil bad for the amputee crabbers mostly because with both claws they're more predatory but when they only got one they tend to revert to scavenging and hiding out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I should probably tell my crab story.

So growing up on the east coast I had a bunch of hermit crabs as pets. They're pretty awesome and hilarious, and if I didn't live in the hellscape wasteland that is Phoenix where the humidity drops into negative numbers somehow, I'd probably still have a bunch.

Fast-forward to college, and I start dating this girl. Really cute, but home-schooled until college and from a religious family, so she's real naive. I bring her over to my dorm room for the first time, and I've got hermit crabs in a big glass tank, doing hermit crab things and being awesome. She's never seen hermit crabs in person before so I get them out of the tank and they crawl around and do cool stuff and we both have a good time, and then I take her back to her dorm.

The next morning I get confronted by her friends. They inform me that she had gone to them to talk about me and how the evening went, and said, "Guess what? Xenomrph has crabs."

:negative:

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

I should probably tell my crab story.

So growing up on the east coast I had a bunch of hermit crabs as pets. They're pretty awesome and hilarious, and if I didn't live in the hellscape wasteland that is Phoenix where the humidity drops into negative numbers somehow, I'd probably still have a bunch.

Fast-forward to college, and I start dating this girl. Really cute, but home-schooled until college and from a religious family, so she's real naive. I bring her over to my dorm room for the first time, and I've got hermit crabs in a big glass tank, doing hermit crab things and being awesome. She's never seen hermit crabs in person before so I get them out of the tank and they crawl around and do cool stuff and we both have a good time, and then I take her back to her dorm.

The next morning I get confronted by her friends. They inform me that she had gone to them to talk about me and how the evening went, and said, "Guess what? Xenomrph has crabs."

:negative:

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

lol owned

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/483854

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Not compatible with my device? What is this, the 1880s?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I’m about to be on the Chesapeake Bay

You know what that means

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh are we doing decade old Flash content now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkrLTsg8YTI

naem
May 29, 2011

I almost studied flash in college lol

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/hypothecait/status/1142082226387070976

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

So how do North American crabs taste compared to Australian ones, if anyone knows?

Here it's mostly blue swimmer and sand crabs (Southern Australia) but there's also mud crabs in Eastern Australia that are delicious and those huge units from a couple of pages back in queensland (the florida of Australia) I guess.

Blue Swimmers:

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 23, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The crab is mighty. The crab is eternal. The crab will remain when we're all gone. :black101:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stoner Sloth posted:

So how do North American crabs taste compared to Australian ones, if anyone knows?

Here it's mostly blue swimmer and sand crabs (Southern Australia) but there's also mud crabs in Eastern Australia that are delicious and those huge units from a couple of pages back in queensland (the florida of Australia) I guess.

Blue Swimmers:

That pinchy boi looks a lot like our east coast blues.

I may need to do some research someday.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That blue sets off deep, ringing TOXIC DO NOT EAT alarms in my head.

Then again if I eat anything that lives in the water I spend 2 days making GBS threads water. As far as I can tell I’m either allergic to iodine, Mercury, or just literally cannot eat anything that swims.

I only post here because creebs are cool little dirt tanks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Then again if I eat anything that lives in the water I spend 2 days making GBS threads water. As far as I can tell I’m either allergic to iodine, Mercury, or just literally cannot eat anything that swims.

Crabs are cool and good but drat it if they don’t taste good too. I never keep the ladies either even though I can.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

These guys aren't toxic fortunately despite their beautiful colouration, at least other than possible environmental toxicants (water is pretty clean here generally but you takes your chances with seafood).

We do have toxic jewel crabs in Queensland that have tetrodotoxin (same toxin as you find in most pufferfish and in blue ringed octopus) in potentially lethal levels but blue swimmers are prime eating crabs.

I was lucky enough when I was younger to get to help out one of the marine biology labs collecting and counting females after breeding season had just ended, we got to keep all the male crabs we caught that were of breeding age (they die off after breeding season anyways). Was great fun cause the weather was awesome and I was able to free dive off the little boat we had and grab them off the bottom. And was good cause some of the work we did got them to reduce the numbers of crabs they were taking commercially + got to eat delicious crobs.

These days though I'm happier mostly to just watch the little fellas cause they are cool af.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Crabs: the only food that will grab you back.
Fossil crab is hella cool.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Full disclosure I think crabs are cool and good (especially hermit crabs) but I've never eaten them (or lobsters) because i think they're cool and good. But part of me wants to try them but I don't want to spend a ton of money to find out I think they taste awful. I'm a real bad cook and I don't know that I trust myself to make crab without loving it up, should I just find a seafood restaurant? Recommendations on where to go and what to get if I'm an idiot newbie to eating crab?

Help me, crab thread. :ohdear:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Xenomrph posted:

Full disclosure I think crabs are cool and good (especially hermit crabs) but I've never eaten them (or lobsters) because i think they're cool and good. But part of me wants to try them but I don't want to spend a ton of money to find out I think they taste awful. I'm a real bad cook and I don't know that I trust myself to make crab without loving it up, should I just find a seafood restaurant? Recommendations on where to go and what to get if I'm an idiot newbie to eating crab?

Go on yelp and find a well-rated seafood restaurant and see if they've got crab on the menu. Although having grown up in New England I'm more of a lobster man myself because they've got more meat in 'em. But if you're in an area of the country that has good local crabs you can probably get them at any seafood restaurant.

Oh also I'm halfway through the first 'Clickers' book - you were right, it's pretty rad for what it is. It's really well-paced and a lot of fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tumble posted:

if you're in an area of the country that has good local crabs
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. :suicide:

I'm glad you're liking 'Clickers', though!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I know this seems counter-intuitive because it's a massive chain but Red Lobster should have live dungeness at market rate for sale. The process for cooking them is fairly easy and they shouldnt gently caress it up. Ask for it plain with just butter on the side.

Now if you actually like it and it's time to cook em up yourself that's next. Does your local grocery store or asian market a tank?

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/7l7qGzfAffQ

crebds

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xenomrph posted:

Im up in Flag and coming from LA and SF the seafood withdraws are something fierce.

Buuuut there is no limit on crayfish in AZ since they are invasive...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Xenomrph posted:

How on Earth did you not eat a crab yet?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Crab friend, not food :(

Aete mor lobstr

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Crab friend and food

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Xenomrph eat the crabs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LingcodKilla posted:

That pinchy boi looks a lot like our east coast blues.

I may need to do some research someday.

Callinectes? I guess. This one has longer skinnier legs and a way shinier blue color though.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Callinectes? I guess. This one has longer skinnier legs and a way shinier blue color though.

Apparently they’re both in family Portunidae, which suggests that if you live in a place you can catch these, admire them for their swimming ability and then turn the backfin meat into a very delicious crab cake.

e: or just coat them in Old Bay seasoning and go hog wild. Crab cakes are pretty incredible though, and I say that as a transplant to Maryland, not a native.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

Yep definitely too much vivid blue to be a true east coast blue crab. Ours got that muddy shell with the pretty blue just around the joints and poo poo. That thing looks like a fuckin' neon sign.

For blue crebs here this is more what I'm used to, and even this is a pretty drat vividly blue example:

Some real pretty blue around the joints and such but certainly not neon-grade hallucination blue creblegs like that one image. They're still grody rear end mud and deadthing eaters from the bay no matter how you cut it. They're just really great to smash up and eat like a dozen of them at a time all covered in old bay and poo poo with some butter on the side.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 24, 2019

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The last crab I had was a feast. Free bushels! So, we feasted. I was never properly trained how to eat them. The older woman next to me told me exactly how. Yes, it was a delicious meal.

The event? I can't remember.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Blues are too small to pick the meat. Would rather pay a pro or just eat soft shells. Happy to hear their numbers are on the rebound.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You say that but there's something to be said for going to a bar and watching football while drinking beer and just picking away at delicious lil blue crabs for the length of the game.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, I didn’t understand the crab feast as a thing when I moved here, but as time went by, it became clear it was a cultural ritual on a smaller scale than thanksgiving dinner - one provided as an opportunity for friends and family to sit around and tell stories and listen to laughter for a few hours.

You’re absolutely right, though; individually, blues aren’t worth anything, and are worth even less if they put a revenge hole in your finger like one did my first picking ever.

I know a guy that worked picking crabs industrially for a summer, and he has the whole thing stripped in a few seconds. You can get to be pretty good at it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

in thailand they'd cook they dinky wittle crabs from the rice paddies into soup and literally eat them whole.

Like shell and all whole. WTF. There'd only be like one in each bowl but still

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Squalid posted:

in thailand they'd cook they dinky wittle crabs from the rice paddies into soup and literally eat them whole.

Like shell and all whole. WTF. There'd only be like one in each bowl but still

Are you telling me you didn't eat the tasty, but friendly and cool, crabs that were given to you?!?!?! :catbert:

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.
My biggest issue with eating crab/lobster/shrimp is that all three of them smell exactly the same as multiple week old rotting hermit crab (You run into that a fair bit if a molter dies underground). And because of that I haven't been able to eat them since without gagging at the smell.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Sounds (smells) like you’ve been around some old or poorly kept seafood. Good, fresh stuff doesn’t smell (or taste) like that.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Lockwell posted:

My biggest issue with eating crab/lobster/shrimp is that all three of them smell exactly the same as multiple week old rotting hermit crab (You run into that a fair bit if a molter dies underground). And because of that I haven't been able to eat them since without gagging at the smell.

What landlocked part of the midwest do you live in where seafood smells like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lockwell posted:

Was last time you had crustacean before the invention of the refrigerated freight truck?