Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
mmm i sure love these master rank contests, not frustrating at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BlazetheInferno posted:

Let's be honest, Ash didn't deserve to get as far as he did in the Indigo League.

That's fine. Even when I was twelve, I would have rather seen Ritchie beat Ash in a fair fight than Team Rocket and Charizard up to their usual bullshit. It just sucked to watch even in 1999.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Star Man posted:

That's fine. Even when I was twelve, I would have rather seen Ritchie beat Ash in a fair fight than Team Rocket and Charizard up to their usual bullshit. It just sucked to watch even in 1999.

A necessary evil. Ash needed to be shown that, thus far, he was actually a terrible trainer who was terribly lucky to get as far as he did. Losing a fair fight instead of Charizard screwing him over wouldn't have had the same impact.

Ash needed a kick in the dick, and Charizard's laziness was up to the task.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
i'm going to kill this rear end in a top hat with the dusclops

the guy with the sharpedo is next

CLEVER MASTER RANK ATTEMPT 17

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 24, 2019

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Which gen of contests are you attempting?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gigantimax porygon is lit

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Crawfish posted:

Which gen of contests are you attempting?

Alpha Sapphire. I finally beat all the master ranks but I just can't win against Lidia and her cheating loving Altaria

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
"Where No Togepi Has Gone Before" was such a wonderfully insane episode. Unfortunately, it's followed by "An Egg Scramble," which blatantly exists purely to promote HGSS.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this is perhaps one of the funniest segments from the pokemon anime in the past decade

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently people have done the calculations of Corviknight's base stat total based on its stats in the demo, and it's around 450. So either it can evolve or it's just really bad and significantly worse than Skarmory with the way the stats are distributed. Its only good stat is HP.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 24, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RatHat posted:

Apparently people have done the calculations of Corviknight's base stat total based on its stats in the demo, and it's around 450. So either it can evolve or it's just really bad and significantly worse than Skarmory with the way the stats are distributed. Its only good stat is HP.
imagine if corviknight is the loving route 1 bird pokemon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

I'll reserve judgement until I see the actual numbers but there will be a powerful fury if they made such cool looking bird that weak.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a reason Corviknight's main purpose is a taxi.

Flyft

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My youtube feed has been full of 20 minutes long effort videos titled "wHy pOkEmOn ShIeLd/sWoRd SuXXX" or different variations...

so aside from the no national dex thing, what has gf done now to piss the fans? I haven't been following these games too much

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

lezard_valeth posted:

My youtube feed has been full of 20 minutes long effort videos titled "wHy pOkEmOn ShIeLd/sWoRd SuXXX" or different variations...

so aside from the no national dex thing, what has gf done now to piss the fans? I haven't been following these games too much

I dunno if there's much new. They confirmed no Mega evos or Z moves in SwSh

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dynamax as a gimic is pretty meh. But I think it's entirely just trimming down the dex. I guess some people feel the graphics look terrible too in general? Idk. :shrug:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Is the Mega Evos and Z crystal confirmed not in the game at all? Not even post game? Like I don't mind Z crystals going away, but Mega Evos had some really cool designs like Mega Ampharos. At least they should make them into stage 4 evos.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RatHat posted:

Isn't balance one of their weak excuses for the pokemon purge? Maybe their new thing will be making every monster terrible?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

lezard_valeth posted:

Is the Mega Evos and Z crystal confirmed not in the game at all? Not even post game? Like I don't mind Z crystals going away, but Mega Evos had some really cool designs like Mega Ampharos. At least they should make them into stage 4 evos.

Yeah, they're all gone according to a recent interview. Sucks to be Sableye/Mawhile/Pinsir etc.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm not going to say I'm not getting it, because well, gamer boycotts, but man, I can't remember the last time my interest in something I like has fallen this fast.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Makes sense because there's now an air of "anti-hype" surrounding Sword and Shield since most of the fanbase has become so negative about it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

Yeah, they're all gone according to a recent interview. Sucks to be Sableye/Mawhile/Pinsir etc.

For guys like this, Megas should just become real evolutions. It’s the only hope any of them have gotten since their creation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite two boys

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

lezard_valeth posted:

The no National Dex thing has basically acted as a release valve for a lot of complaints that the fanbase has been bottling up.

RatHat posted:

Or thw version in the demo has deliberately edited stats.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 24, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they're not just removing Pokemon, they're making some still available Pokemon uncompetitive or less useful by removing mega evos and z moves. and just removing mega evos and z moves is pretty annoying too. although at least there's an in-universe reason for no z moves (they work because of the Tapus/legendaries of Alola)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If removing Mega Evolutions makes a bunch of weak single-stage Pokemon unviable, the issue was tying their viability to the gimmick in the first place when they had plenty of room to add a normal evolution, hth.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

The no National Dex thing has basically acted as a release valve for a lot of complaints that the fanbase has been bottling up.

Honestly I don’t mind the loss of the national Dex. I’m more angry about how this is the first console main-line game and... they didn’t really do anything to update the series with the new power the Switch provides compared to the DS it’s been shackled to forever. Animations and graphics in general are... really loving bad for a Switch title.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
During a fugue state, I finally got myself a copy of Ultra Sun over the weekend.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

If removing Mega Evolutions makes a bunch of weak single-stage Pokemon unviable, the issue was tying their viability to the gimmick in the first place when they had plenty of room to add a normal evolution, hth.

No poo poo. Unfortunately they'll probably never get real evolutions since Gamefreak stopped doing those for older generation Pokemon after Gen IV with the sole exception of Sylveon.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

no, the issue is introducing a fan favorite gimmick then taking it away. hth

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

indigi posted:

no, the issue is introducing a fan favorite gimmick then taking it away. hth

I really don't understand why they won't do more mega evolutions. It seemed like everyone loved them, breathed new amazing life into lovely shinies (Gengar and Garchomp, looking at you), and and was really cool to experience in battle. Z-moves were okay, but not super interesting except for the species specific ones. Now the thing is they just get bigger? How could that possibly be seen as an improvement?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
This rocket!

THICK

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

OgreNoah posted:

I really don't understand why they won't do more mega evolutions. It seemed like everyone loved them, breathed new amazing life into lovely shinies (Gengar and Garchomp, looking at you), and and was really cool to experience in battle. Z-moves were okay, but not super interesting except for the species specific ones. Now the thing is they just get bigger? How could that possibly be seen as an improvement?

it's an improvement in the amount of work the devs have to do

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If they are removing Mega Evolutions then Ash should be allowed to go back and kick Alain's fuckin rear end.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I had a great shiny weekend!

I got 4 pichus, 1 rockruff, 1 bonsly, and 1 spinarak.

I need one more bonsly, 2 more rockruff, and 2 munchlaxes and route 1 is complete and then on to the Hau'oli Outskirts!

guess i could do 2 more happiny, but I think it'd be easier just to do Chanceys.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
They'd have to come up with something that's basically entirely new for a permanently evolved Mega form. Part of why Megas were allowed to be so strong is because of the restrictions of only having one on a team and not being able to hold an item. Just making Mega Pinsir a permanent thing and it can hold a choice band and its on a team with five other Megas would jack up the "balance" something fierce.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Game Freak's about to feel how Square Enix felt in 2010.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly I don’t mind the loss of the national Dex. I’m more angry about how this is the first console main-line game and... they didn’t really do anything to update the series with the new power the Switch provides compared to the DS it’s been shackled to forever. Animations and graphics in general are... really loving bad for a Switch title.

This is where I'm at, too.

The only thing of note so far is the Wild Area, that seems interesting, but also pretty small. Like it's huge for Pokemon, but seems smaller than, say, Twilight Princess' Hyrule. Emptier, too.

Dynamax Raids look awfully slow. And it seems that if you're not pumping out the status moves, it'll be a fast defeat.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't mind no national dex but mega evos are much better than dynamaxing. Also the wild area looks like a cool version of the safari zone so i hope they expand it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also I'm not buying a switch purely to get Pokemon Sword.