Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

ya i wouldn't call the motion plus a failure either considering Wii Sports Resort sold like crazy, i mean ya maybe they weren't expanded on 2 a crazy degree but ppl are fine with one good game for peripherals (Wii "Balance Board" for example) and i certainly wouldn't say they're "doomed to fail"

I guess it depends on your definition of failure.

An expansion or peripheral that was intended for widespread adoption that only got a handful of good games is a failure to me, or at least a mixed bag.

The New 3DS was a success in terms of being an upgraded 3DS, but a failure on its own terms with only like 14 games, and only a few of those any good.

So anyway all I'm saying is I'd prefer a Switch Pro go the route of the PS4 Pro and offer an upgraded experience to those who want it, but not try to offer any exclusive experiences because I believe those are doomed to underperform as a subsection of the market by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The issue with the PS4 Pro is that it doesn't provide "a better experience" so much that it provides the new standard experience with the base PS4 being a lesser one. They did promise that games would still run on the base PS4, but they almost always run with decreased frame rates and lower graphic settings. Developers tend to cheap out on optimization, since the new standard is the new good enough, and that absolutely will get worse with a Switch Pro.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Re: Bloodstained

BisterdDave posted:

My backer copy is being delivered today :dance:

Don't start playing it if you get it early. There's a bug if you start a game with the shipped version (1.01) and then patch it to the latest (1.02) where the game can't be finished because chests will already be opened.
https://www.facebook.com/674733866005672/posts/1768923633253351/

That is assuming the 1.02 patch isn't available by the time you get the cart anyway, if so just make sure you patch it before you start.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I am buying too many Switch games

SMM2
Slay the Spire
Cadence of Hyrule
Bloodstained is coming out

And I still play Smash on a weekly basis

Same but added Dead Cells and Monster Hunter GU. No idea when I'll play any of these games and all of them except Cadence are potentially incredibly long experiences. Plus I'm deep into a new stardew valley farm.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Takoluka posted:

The issue with the PS4 Pro is that it doesn't provide "a better experience" so much that it provides the new standard experience with the base PS4 being a lesser one. They did promise that games would still run on the base PS4, but they almost always run with decreased frame rates and lower graphic settings. Developers tend to cheap out on optimization, since the new standard is the new good enough, and that absolutely will get worse with a Switch Pro.

The PS4 is just an ageing platform and the pro grinds through the latest games sometimes. DF have shown side by sides of the PS4 outperforming the pro thanks to better optimisation and cutting back on some graphical features, so I don't think this is true at all. If I didn't get a big discount on my pro I probably wouldn't have bothered.

The Switch is also a new machine and the PS4 released in 2013. I'd consider an updated Switch for late cycle games at higher frames or whatever early 2021.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there a way to customize the home menu with themes/screenshots or have they not added that in yet?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Imagined posted:

I guess it depends on your definition of failure.

An expansion or peripheral that was intended for widespread adoption that only got a handful of good games is a failure to me, or at least a mixed bag.

If it sold it wasn't a failure to anyone but you. That said I'm still split on whether I want a more portable switch with built in controls or a pro that will inevitably have games that won't run on the switch og

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there a way to customize the home menu with themes/screenshots or have they not added that in yet?

They havent, and the excuse is that the OS is something crazy small, like 300KB, in the name of raw speed

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Re: Bloodstained

Don't start playing it if you get it early. There's a bug if you start a game with the shipped version (1.01) and then patch it to the latest (1.02) where the game can't be finished because chests will already be opened.
https://www.facebook.com/674733866005672/posts/1768923633253351/

That is assuming the 1.02 patch isn't available by the time you get the cart anyway, if so just make sure you patch it before you start.

I thought this glitch has yet to be patched, and if so then nobody should be playing it until it's fixed? Or updating to 1.02 fixes the issue?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

JBP posted:

The PS4 is just an ageing platform and the pro grinds through the latest games sometimes. DF have shown side by sides of the PS4 outperforming the pro thanks to better optimisation and cutting back on some graphical features, so I don't think this is true at all. If I didn't get a big discount on my pro I probably wouldn't have bothered.

The Switch is also a new machine and the PS4 released in 2013. I'd consider an updated Switch for late cycle games at higher frames or whatever early 2021.

Maybe the Xbox One S and X are better comparisons. The One S is consistently terrible across the board, because they develop with the One X in mind. I was actually using DF as a guide for that assessment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Takoluka posted:

Maybe the Xbox One S and X are better comparisons. The One S is consistently terrible across the board, because they develop with the One X in mind. I was actually using DF as a guide for that assessment.

Oh yeah I agree with you there.

E: I think this also comes down to Microsoft going gently caress no one bought our console we need a console people want to buy while Sony went lol give them the opportunity to buy this console a second time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They havent, and the excuse is that the OS is something crazy small, like 300KB, in the name of raw speed

Okie dokie, that's kinda lame but whatever.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Okie dokie, that's kinda lame but whatever.

Right? I'm sure being able to just change the wallpaper would have zero effect on performance and I don't see how folders would either.

I've been waiting for both basic features for over a year!!! Maybe that will be the carrot they'll dangle to get us to upgrade to switch pro

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The OS is quite large and robust like any OS, but the visual UI elements total to less than 300kb.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'll take an extra 0.1s of loading time to get a cool background

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

I'll take an extra 0.1s of loading time to get a cool background

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

this would make for a v. cool switch wallpaper

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I already compromised by playing indie games on Switch with way worse performance instead of my PC

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BisterdDave posted:

I thought this glitch has yet to be patched, and if so then nobody should be playing it until it's fixed? Or updating to 1.02 fixes the issue?

It specifically only happens if you start a game with 1.01 and then update to 1.02. So if you just patch the game before starting, you'll be fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
HR LADY: And it says here under emergency contacts you just wrote "Mario Maker"
ME: [visibly excited] Mario Maker

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Macaluso posted:

HR LADY: And it says here under emergency contacts you just wrote "Mario Maker"
ME: [visibly excited] Mario Maker

:same:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s sad though that we’re going to get a switch mini with reduced features before a higher end switch unit, it speaks to their goofy business ethic.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Shammypants posted:

It’s sad though that we’re going to get a switch mini with reduced features before a higher end switch unit, it speaks to their goofy business ethic.

Did they announce something?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Nothing goofy about replacing the 3ds. Then they can release the "power" version next year with the next gen xbone and ps4 as a sign they're not gonna be left behind.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
maybe instead of making more and more expensive cutting edge consoles more game developers could stop developing games that cause a chip to explode from rendering individual points of grass that no sane person gives a poo poo about

edit: mario maker

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Man this discussion made me think: if they made a 3ds with an ips screen id pick one up in a heartbeat and get lost in 3ds games all over again. Course this is just asinine as far as things that could actually happen are concerned

Maybe the hardware modding scene can get me fixed right up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nintendo already made 3DSes with IPS screens, it was just a complete crapshoot whether you got one. They randomly used TN or IPS panels for both screens so if you were lucky you could get a double IPS unit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Some 3DS systems did have IPS screens. I remember people posting about returning theirs and trying to figure out the serial numbers that had them back in the 3DS thread years ago.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
For Bloodstained backers, any idea about how to redeem it if it's digital? Will there be an email going out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

Nintendo already made 3DSes with IPS screens, it was just a complete crapshoot whether you got one. They randomly used TN or IPS panels for both screens so if you were lucky you could get a double IPS unit.

Yup, I own a double IPS New 3DS, I will sell it to you for $900

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh that's true. I was actually lucky enough to get one of those

No I meant a nice IPS screen like you see on mid-range devices like laptops and phones. For some reason the 3ds IPS screens were still a little washed out and dim compared to other displays, to the point where people couldn't always tell if it was TN or IPS. I've never had an issue telling them apart because usually IPS is so painfully superior in every way but I'm not a hardware guy so who knows what was goin on there

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Merkinman posted:

For Bloodstained backers, any idea about how to redeem it if it's digital? Will there be an email going out?

Check your fangamer emails\account. They might be holding it until launch tomorrow, but I've been reading people on other consoles have theirs. I'm physical so I'm only worried my postman Randy got the goods today.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Saw GameStop promoting an offer to take Mario Maker back for full value (in credit only) within 48 hours of release. IIRC you can more or less do that with their standard return policy until they get annoyed with you but I'd never seen them advertise it for a specific game before. Big vote of confidence (get it in people's hands and they'll like it enough to keep it) or concern people won't understand Maker isn't exactly a traditional Mario game and they're proactively accommodating confused buyers?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Oh that's true. I was actually lucky enough to get one of those

No I meant a nice IPS screen like you see on mid-range devices. For some reason the 3ds IPS screens were still a little washed out and dim compared to other displays, to the point where people couldn't always tell if it was TN or IPS

The 3D parallax barrier is inevitably going to make any panel appear dimmer, because only half of the light makes it to each eye.

Theatres have the same problem, 3D movies are always dim because you only perceive half of the brightness the projector puts out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Saw GameStop promoting an offer to take Mario Maker back for full value (in credit only) within 48 hours of release. IIRC you can more or less do that with their standard return policy until they get annoyed with you but I'd never seen them advertise it for a specific game before. Big vote of confidence (get it in people's hands and they'll like it enough to keep it) or concern people won't understand Maker isn't exactly a traditional Mario game and they're proactively accommodating confused buyers?

It's a new promo they've been doing with some games starting with Days Gone. This is more a sign of desperation on Gamestop's part than any reflection on Mario Maker's quality.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

repiv posted:

The 3D parallax barrier is inevitably going to make any panel appear dimmer, because only half of the light makes it to each eye.

Theatres have the same problem, 3D movies are always dim because you only perceive half of the brightness the projector puts out.

drat that sounds about right. That's so lovely, I always hated the 3ds display but don't remember having any issues with the gba sp or ds lite so I think your theory holds up. Shame too, a combined 3ds/DS library is stupid good for one device

Does the 2ds XL have a nice bright screen? Or is it the same deal even if 3d isn't enabled?

E: well first gen gba sp's did have weird purple or blue off-color screens, and they were frontlit so it was extra bad. But those backlit models they released silently looked god drat sharp

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 24, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2DS XL has normal screens because it doesn't do 3D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I gotta get a money manager or something. Now that I have a little bit of money, I want to slam-purchase every good game that comes out.

Bloodstained looks cool as hell but I still have 6 games in my backlog and three more between now and September.

I'm sure I'll get through all of them by playing one hour a day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

bushisms.txt posted:

Nothing goofy about replacing the 3ds. Then they can release the "power" version next year with the next gen xbone and ps4 as a sign they're not gonna be left behind.

I don’t expect an announcement for a higher end device next year so that’s why it’s goofy to me I guess. I’d give it a 5% chance