Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

If you mean Doom 4 say doom 4 because gently caress that confusing naming. But the context was about doom 2 so no, not doom 4.

Doom 4 multiplayer sucked bad and played different from the single player, and to make matters worse they put out a map dlc and split the community. It was nothing but a hot mess. Nah nobody gives a poo poo about that.

If you wanted Doom 4 multi you just played Quake Champions but that's only so popular itself.

Doom 4 multiplayer owns. Way better than QC. But there's only like 30 or so players at a given time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
How to go about playing quake 1 in TYOOL 2019? Was thinking mods too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thyrork posted:

I use Quakespasm and made shortcuts for each of Quake, Quake: Exp1, Quake: exp2, Quake: Arcane Dimensions and play them using my computer when it gets dark outside.

Edit: There's also some console commands somewhere to bring back the proper pixelated graphics and similar lighting style to OG Quake, but I'm at work and do not have access to this information.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 24, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I booted quake 1 up, used the console command to unfuck mouse aiming, and then played it.

Im really boring

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Darkplaces + Quake 1.5 seems to be well liked. Arcane Dimensions (a mappack) is great. And just in the last pages there was a mention of something called Copper, you may want to search it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cat Mattress posted:

The big problem of the reject table with limit-removing maps, especially the kind of maps you see in Sunder, is that the size of this lump grows with the square of the number of sectors in the map. (Specifically, sector count/8, rounded up, then squared.)
It's kind of funny that REJECT lumps grow geometrically because John Carmack hadn't learned about run length encoding yet.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Barudak posted:

I booted quake 1 up, used the console command to unfuck mouse aiming, and then played it.

Im really boring

I imagine if I ever want to play it again and it natively supports 1280 x 720, I would do that too.
Edit: Oh, but not without the music, I would at least need a mod for that.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The GoG version of quake has the music included . Or you can mod it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Linguica posted:

It's kind of funny that REJECT lumps grow geometrically because John Carmack hadn't learned about run length encoding yet.

? Wolf3D uses both RLEW compression along with his own method.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Thyrork posted:

http://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html might help (if you are on Windows).

That includes the Mark V engine for convenience with the downloading stuff, but you could also download and drop in the latest Quakespasm or FTE or whatever if you like.

Also there's lots of readme files in there on various topics if you want to explore the "proper pixelated graphics" mentioned above and other tweaks.

----------

DarkPlaces is a little iffier, since it changes a nontrivial amount of physics/lighting/texturing that can break or at least visually goof up various bits of custom content (like the aforementioned Copper). On the other hand there are some mods that REQUIRE DarkPlaces (like the aforementioned "Quake 1.5"). My approach is to generally just use Quakespasm or FTE for singleplayer stuff, and make a separate DarkPlaces installation elsewhere if I really need it for some specific mod.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Turin Turambar posted:

Darkplaces + Quake 1.5 seems to be well liked. Arcane Dimensions (a mappack) is great. And just in the last pages there was a mention of something called Copper, you may want to search it.

Daton linking me Copper is why I got curious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Final Doomer thoughts: The JPCP weapon set seems too cute for its own good. It's got two themes going on - silencer combat and wombo comboing enemies for massive damage - neither of which play well with normal Doom playstyles/maps, I feel. I did MAP15 of Eviternity with it, which has one big horde standoff section, and doing it with a dot-only rocket launcher equivalent is really painful. The idea of individually comboing enemies to deal a lot of damage - opening with the slot 4 weapon for the damage boost and using slot 6 for cleanup - is interesting, but hard to pull off against large, mixed groups. Because everything's a dot/individually a minor hit you also have very little opportunities for crowd control by provoking pain states, which makes crowd shaping a mess. Fun triple-barrel shotgun (not as good as the melee-range BtSX one, though), and the NRG Katana is amazing.

I think this weapon set would work well for a mapset with small groups of difficult enemies. Maybe that's JPCP, I don't know. It would be hilarious in E1M8, though.

Anyone else doing the Eviternity + Final Doomer combo, do JPCP first to go easy on yourself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, the weaponsets are tailored with their respective maps in mind, and JCP definitely works really well with JCP's design. Wait until FD makes a set for Eviternity I guess.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

https://twitter.com/Batandy_/status/1142856711310598145?s=09

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I found a way to finish up the remaining Sunder levels I left, with this mod, an AI Director.

I'm in no way good enough to play it vanilla, without a mod like Guncaster, that's for sure. I could have used something like the Ultimate Custom Doom, that allows to say, receive only 50% damage from enemies or do 30% more damage, but as I said before, the real issue is that I was tired of the extreme slaughter maps style. I came to appreciate the style (the crowd control, the lane clearing, the target prioritization, etc) over time but not enough to play more than 3-4 levels in a row, and not with levels with more than 4000 enemies.
I found that AI director mod that replaces the monsters at start by their own, you can set how many there are at the start, and how many appear on new spawning waves and what rate the spawning waves occur (IF there is new waves). So with that a level with 5500 enemies (I tested it with level 15) can be reduced to 1400 monsters + a pair of new enemies every minute, or maybe only 400 monsters + faster or bigger waves. It even can preserve the boss monsters, and optionally also alter the item roster. And it isn't totally random, if a level had mostly imps, it will keep the same style.

In any case, this and Sunlust will have to wait, right now my priority is continue with Adventures of Square.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There's a Golden Souls 3 on the way?!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

I started Adventures of Square, (a big change from Sunder lol) and I can see how it got a cacoaward. Behind the innocent and silly looking aspect, it's a very solid experience, with maps with good flow, competent encounter design and surprisingly good weapons. Really, they are paint guns so you could imagine they are crappy but they feel very nice and the enemies blow up satisfyingly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhVWdoq448

i'm gonna have to check this out. i wish there were goofier fps games.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I really like Amid Evil's BFG.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's a Golden Souls 3 on the way?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rivZEQ2mNFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQ0b6A1Kwg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
cant stand darkplaces, its bad and feels bad but holy poo poo is quake 1.5 fun as hell.

i like quakespasm because of the mod menu makes switching around a breeze. i also dig qbism super8 for fun.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 24, 2019

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I really like Amid Evil's BFG.

I am really digging Amid Evil. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Fabino2112/status/1142681557590843392

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For years I thought Duke Nukem was a title, like Baron or Prince. Finding out it was actually just his first name and he has no Royal title was a slight disappointment, as the idea of 1980s action hero Prince Charles blowing poo poo up and chilling with strippers was somewhat amusing.

I have still never met anyone with that as a first name, though I concede Bill Duke is an enjoyable character actor.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
did you know duke ellington was the stage name of the duke of wellington? it's true

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Convex posted:

For years I thought Duke Nukem was a title, like Baron or Prince. Finding out it was actually just his first name and he has no Royal title was a slight disappointment, as the idea of 1980s action hero Prince Charles blowing poo poo up and chilling with strippers was somewhat amusing.

I have still never met anyone with that as a first name, though I concede Bill Duke is an enjoyable character actor.

Introducing my lord the Duke of Nukem, second of his name, and the Lady Nukem.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

J.C. Tribbiani

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My after shave is called Duke Cannon and every time I use it I gotta quote Duke lines. I like to think Duke Cannon is an alternate universe Duke Nukem where Duke Cannon Forever actually came out in 2001 and was an instant cult classic. Instead of Bombshell it's Madame President who decides to take matters into her own hands.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've been playing Painkiller Black Edition and it crashes to desktop every time I try to start level 3-2: Abandoned Factory :negative:

Trying to load saves in 3-1: Train Station was a total crapshoot too. I don't suppose anyone else has experience with this?

e: holy crap I think I fixed it. I deleted a bunch of my old saves and the level loaded just fine. :toot:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 25, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

david_a posted:

? Wolf3D uses both RLEW compression along with his own method.

Yeah, and it looks like an LZ encoding but worse. For example, while backrefs in "Carmack compression" take three or four bytes, backrefs in deflate (combined LZ and Huffman c.f. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1951 ) can be represented in less than one byte.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i need this shotgun in doom immediately

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=65147

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

cant stand darkplaces, its bad and feels bad but holy poo poo is quake 1.5 fun as hell.
Wasn't the developer of Quake 1.5 doing a cut-down Quakespasm version based on AD...?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man I love Golden Souls a LOT but I really hope the map design is a little better in 3. The amount of bottomless death pits with unforgiving checkpoints was a nightmare and resulted in me starting to abuse quick saves.

Edit: Save states? The gently caress am I talking about.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Glagha posted:

Man I love Golden Souls a LOT but I really hope the map design is a little better in 3. The amount of bottomless death pits with unforgiving checkpoints was a nightmare and resulted in me starting to abuse quick saves.

Edit: Save states? The gently caress am I talking about.

Looks like you just take a small chunk of damage now in 3 (I think 20).

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

Wasn't the developer of Quake 1.5 doing a cut-down Quakespasm version based on AD...?

He did say he wanted to. Dunno if/when that will pan out.

That developer BTW, makes really good maps for "normal" Quake. They are all hiding out in mapjam packs so far, so some folks may not have come across them. They're just good at feeling like an adventure that goes places, even for fairly small maps. Someday I'll make an effortpost to get into more detail maybe, but anyone who feels like poking around in those mapjams could do worse than trying out Bloodshot's contributions. (And those are some excellent jams in general.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dqAQ3P8gE

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

it looks good, but I'm one of the handful of people on the planet who really liked the original Xen; I think the barren alien nature of it is gonna be diluted somewhat with swamps, vegetation and human tech lying around the place.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jblade posted:

it looks good, but I'm one of the handful of people on the planet who really liked the original Xen; I think the barren alien nature of it is gonna be diluted somewhat with swamps, vegetation and human tech lying around the place.

Actually I think I agree--I generally preferred the original's abstract "rocks floating in a giant void surrounded by glowing cosmic amoebae". Nothing looked especially familiar.

The stuff in the Black Mesa video looks nice, but I see things that look a lot like trees and weeds and grass.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever predicted years ago Xen would end up like a planet from Mass Effect was right .

People hated Xen because it was weird and alien like. Now it’s ... a generic jungle swamp thing .

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Looks like a JRPG jungle now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I mean, Dagobah is an "alien planet" and its just a swamp too.

But yeah, I have to agree that it feels less unique as a result.